PDA

View Full Version : Got A Basic Question About Bikes

rudukai13
03-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Ok, so I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while now and I have a question that I haven't found answer to yet. I was wondering how you steer them? I mean do they steer like regular RC cars and trucks or is there something special that you need to do? I think this would be a pretty typical question but I just haven't found an answer yet...

cstmp8r
03-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Ok, so I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while now and I have a question that I haven't found answer to yet. I was wondering how you steer them? I mean do they steer like regular RC cars and trucks or is there something special that you need to do? I think this would be a pretty typical question but I just haven't found an answer yet...

As far as steering from the transmitter yes they are the same. But on the bike they do not steer like a full size bike. Basically when you make it turn the forks move in a similar fashion as a pendulum (only upside down in this case) That probably makes no sense but I do not know of another way to explain it. If I can figure out how post up a video I will get a click of how it works.

rudukai13
03-15-2007, 07:31 PM
So it's like a pre-programmed thing, where all you do is turn the wheel and the bike goes through a sequence of things to start turning?

cstmp8r
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM
pretty much yes.. It is very stable and easy to drive. I was worried at first that it was going to be like a tyco bike that my son had several years ago. But it is so easy drive my 7 yr. old boy can with little to no problems at all.

rudukai13
03-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Alright cool. Which bike are you talking about now? All of them or just one kind? cause I'm interested in getting the electric Thunder Tiger Ducatti, and I was wondering about that one...

terry.sc
03-16-2007, 04:37 AM
As far as steering from the transmitter yes they are the same. But on the bike they do not steer like a full size bike. Basically when you make it turn the forks move in a similar fashion as a pendulum (only upside down in this case) That probably makes no sense but I do not know of another way to explain it. If I can figure out how post up a video I will get a click of how it works.
That sounds like the little Kyosho bikes.

The proper 1/5th scale bikes have proper forks that steer like real bikes. The servo is connected to the forks by springs, so the servo just puts pressure on the forks to upset the balance, rather than physically turning them. This means if you move the steering the bike will keep on leaning over more and more until you stop steering, so when you turn into the corner you stop steering while it goes round the corner. You then have to turn the steering the other way to get the bike upright again. Also strangely enough the bike should be setup so when you turn left on the transmitter the front wheel turns to the right.

Takes a bit of practice but easy once you get the hand of it.

rudukai13
03-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Alright thanks, that's what I was wondering. I think it'll be really cool once I figure it out.

igotit
06-06-2008, 10:45 AM
great info,thanx! ive always wonder bout bike steering and handling

Suprachrgd82
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/beginner/countersteering.html