PDA

View Full Version : I Need some help with painting metal/alloy

XB BOY
10-28-2005, 06:36 AM
hey everyone
i just want to know what to use to paint an alloy trailer and stuff like that.
thanks mitch

Jugg2Driver
10-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Just get a good metal primer and you should be fine with just about any spray paint! I know Krylon makes metal specific paints, I also know that Tamiya makes a metal primer and their paints will do fine over it.

ripper7777777
10-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Tamiya paints are great, a little pricey and sometimes hard to find, my LHS just now started carrying them.

Rustoleum has a nice finish and is really strong and sticks to metal, it has a very slow cure time so read the instructions, plan to give it a couple days before reassembly but it takes a month to cure completely, I never wait that long but after a month it is super tough and waxable.

I've been using Rustoleum Hammered finish and it is as strong as nails, I've used it on steel, alum, brass and even lexan, it's a real nice paint and has a unique finish.

As always wear a mask especially with Tamiya Paints.

offroadford4x4
10-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ripper7777777@Oct 28 2005, 09:49 AM
I've been using Rustoleum Hammered finish and it is as strong as nails, I've used it on steel, alum, brass and even lexan, it's a real nice paint and has a unique finish.
I used the Rustoleum Hammered Paint for the KC lights on my roof of my 1:1. I love the look of the finish and it is hard as can be. It's been a few months now since I painted em and they still look as good as the day I did em.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/offroadford4x4/lights/100_3324.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/offroadford4x4/lights/100_3336.jpg

Here's how they looked before.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/offroadford4x4/lights/100_3317.jpg

Jugg2Driver
10-28-2005, 12:14 PM
That is a nice look!

weeb_beano
10-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Wow! That's how it looks, without requiring any primer? I might have to go with that, i'm thinking of painting (gulp ) some 6061 aluminum, and am pretty fearful about how much it will flake off.

offroadford4x4
10-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Nope, no primmer. All i did was knock off the loose rust with some emery paper, and painted right over the rest. It's made to be used with no primmer and right over rust. I'd imagine it'd work well on aluminum, ut i'd scuff the surface a lil first to help grip onto it. Just some regular emory paper over the whole surfae to be painted should do it. Once cured, its tough as nails. I swiped across the one with a key like a week after I painted em, and nothing happened. :nice: So I doubt flakin will be an issue, if anything I'd image it may peel of the surface isn't preped corectly first and something (scratch) gave a space to start peeling.

Spoon37
10-28-2005, 03:19 PM
:blink:

looks good, sounds like pretty tuff stuff too! :chug:

:banana:

XB BOY
10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
well thanks for that i have some hammer finish stuff at my house so i might just use that.

thanks alot mitch