PDA

View Full Version : between me an rangerboy - OFFICIAL THREAD MISSION STATEMENT POST #253

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82

FunkyHunk
08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
And the 15000gh reply :D

http://www.bestgraph.com/gifs/fetes/artifices/artifices-07.gif

:postwhore:

THE_JOKER
08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Awesome!

Ragnarok
08-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately, I must celebrate the Fifteenthousanding™ with a serious bout of disappointment. The song goes a little something like this…

<ahem>

HOLY ****!!! THESE FANS ARE ****ING LOUD!!! :mad:

And I thought they were loud before. :rant: The new fans push a ton of air, and they sound like a freaking 747. I'm dropping the coin on a fan controller. I've messed with the fan control settings in the BIOS. Nothing changes. I've unplugged two of the three fans from the motherboard (the exhaust and the CPU pull fans).

I've also lost my wireless trackball's communication after disconnecting everything, but that's a different issue.

Ragnarok
08-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Jiggdangdone been ordered:
Scythe Kaze Master Ace KM-02 4-port fan controller.
Zalman CNPS9700LED CPU cooler.
Coolermaster blue LED fans. (Going to try to return the others. Maybe I can't. Who knows.)
Arctic Silver ArtiClean thermal paste remover kit.)

It's good money after bad, but I don't have a choice. I have to keep this machine going, and running only one fan is not going to cut it.

http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-pcragefancy.gif

THE_JOKER
08-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Earmuffs Rag....tis cheaper!.

Spoon37
08-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Reminds me of the first time I got a "brushless lots of CFM awesomesauce fan!" from a well known brand - it alone sounded like a jet engine. Still got me the dubious honor of the fastest stable overclock using win ME on futuremark at the time...(fsb boosted to 157mhz from 133).

Still if it makes you feel better I have a suitable pic Rag:

THE_JOKER
08-23-2011, 07:56 AM
/\/\/\/\ Lol!

The Stray Cat
08-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Only thing is if those fans are that loud they might be powerful enough to make that PC fly.

Ragnarok
08-23-2011, 08:47 AM
The only computer that has a right to be loud is this one…
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/V8-Engine-Case-Mod.jpg

http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/ani/ani-trekpicardvsgoonies.gif http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/ani/ani-chucknorrisrifle.gif

My father even complained how loud my computer was, and he's very, very hard of hearing.

The Stray Cat
08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Now that is one awesome looking computer!

Oggy
08-23-2011, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Ln9hkXPlc

THE_JOKER
08-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Now that is one awesome looking computer!

X2!!

Very creative!.

Spoon37
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM

awesome :lol:

I think I might even be able to find room for 2x full length VGA cards and a hard disk in that V8 case...makes a nice change...

:banana:

FunkyHunk
08-23-2011, 03:44 PM

That reminds me of this old Norwegian classic animation movie, Pinchcliffe Grand Prix.
Check out the racing part of the video after about 2:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wcg0O7AkOI

2k2cse
08-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Apparently I broke the 1300 post mark. News to me. :lolbeat:

Ragnarok
08-23-2011, 08:53 PM
FNAZHASSHORPPED!!! <_< Wait, I mean… :excited:

Ragnarok
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Wow. I have learned to appreciate literacy more and more every day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-SY99-Synthesizer-Seldom-use-Sounds-GOOD-/320667263413?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item4aa94221b5#ht_1205wt_1398

:facepalm: I hear they have medications that can help that.

I have to say that the asking price for that synth is about 5X what it's worth.

Ian
08-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Maybe the other 4x is so he has money for meds?

THE_JOKER
08-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Floppy wuuuuut? lol

Lee
08-24-2011, 03:56 AM
im 12 and whats this?

Spoon37
08-24-2011, 06:19 AM
:lol: literacy would help.

Cool synth but I dont want one with a broken floppy dick for $2,500...

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 07:41 AM
I'll own one of those SY99s one day. It's the only FM-equipped synth I've ever wanted. (I worked with FM synthesis in high school on a Yamaha DX7. It was like trying to program a brick.) But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want that extra "bonus" feature - especially if I have to pay another $2000 for it. :nono:

I spent most of last night scouring eBay for old gear, and it's amazing what kind of deals are out there. I found a NEW IN BOX STILL SEALED Korg OASys PCI DSP card for a BIN price of $500! (Please excuse my enthusiasm. :facepalm: I want one of these in a way that's difficult to describe rationally.) There's nothing out there that makes the sounds this thing can. I'd be happy to find a complete one that's used for $350 to $400. I have tuition to pay, though.

spankrjs
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Floppy wuuuuut? lol

I think they make a "little blue pill" to fix that particular issue:p

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
LUCAS POLLUTION ALERT!

Muppet Yoda to be replaced with Computer Yoda in BluRay release of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.
http://collider.com/star-wars-phantom-menace-cgi-yoda-blu-ray/111276/

This palm's for you, George. :facepalm: Now, if he could somehow replace Muppet Jake Lloyd, Muppet Natalie Portman, and Muppet Hayden Christensen with REAL ACTORS AND A BETTER FREAKING PLOT then he'd have my endorsement 1,000%.

The Stray Cat
08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
LUCAS POLLUTION ALERT!

Muppet Yoda to be replaced with Computer Yoda in BluRay release of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.
http://collider.com/star-wars-phantom-menace-cgi-yoda-blu-ray/111276/

This palm's for you, George. :facepalm: Now, if he could somehow replace Muppet Jake Lloyd, Muppet Natalie Portman, and Muppet Hayden Christensen with REAL ACTORS AND A BETTER FREAKING PLOT then he'd have my endorsement 1,000%.

Well said Rag! well said! Of all the actors and actresses in the world, why them. I'd rather have had Kermit and miss piggy, and scooter as young anakin.

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 01:54 PM
I FINALLY got my transcripts late, late last night. Since it's some kind of secure PDF, I can't just use any PDF viewer - I have to use Adobe Reader. I download the latest version and it crashes every time it opens. After tearing my hair out trying to isolate the problem based on the Crash Log, I find an older version of it, install it, and everything's hunky dory.

The most disappointing part is seeing my GPA from that year I went to school. :( 1st term was a 1.54. 2nd term was a 3.0. Cumulative of 2.3. :nono: I don't remember my first semester being so abysmal. That was a horrible year. My mother nearly died with a massive asthma attack and was in the hospital for nearly three weeks (which meant I had to take over ALL household duties as no one else would help), my little brother and I were in a car wreck that broke my neck (this happened within a week of my mother's asthma attack), I had to help with work at the shop that I had no time for, I was sick constantly, and my psoriatic arthritis was kicking into "Serious Mode" for the first time. One of the things I DON'T remember is getting a D in Sightsinging/Eartraining. :mad:

The Stray Cat
08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
What kind of course is sightseeing/eartraining???

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Think of it as a form of english and reading class, except for music. It's a way of training for perfect pitch, being able to reproduce a note in your head and your voice. Solfege, aka. Do-re-mi, is the primary aspect of the class. It's pretty fundamental. If a person was to compose without any kind of instrument - just a pen and notation paper - it would require very advanced training in this area. All the great composers of history and modern times could do this. 99.9% of all pop "artists" cannot. :wave: It wasn't the easiest class, and I just plain wasn't ready for it.

To complicate things, I thought the teacher was the *** of all holes and didn't take it the second term. It didn't help that things outside of school was putting more pressure on me than I could handle. He was a douchemonkey extraordinaire.

The Stray Cat
08-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a very interesting class. Glad you made it through all of that. It just makes you tougher for the up coming semester! Did you find out if you can start now, or do you have to wait until spring?

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I should have that answer by this afternoon. (Still barely after 1PM here.) I have a couple of calls to make, and once I find out what's going on, I should know. I think it's going to happen. I'm gunning for an online English class that's held over at the college. This way there's no expense of adding miles to our vehicle or trying to find another car. I just stay home every Friday afternoon.

It's also going to depend on if my application is accepted in a quick enough fashion. If it's going to take a week or more, it may have to be spring. :thinking:

The Stray Cat
08-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Well good luck bro, either way that it works out!

Oggy
08-24-2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuUZGkpM9eA

THE_JOKER
08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Steve Jobs quit?

TexasRedneck
08-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Only as CEO, he is still the chairman of the board.

THE_JOKER
08-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Ah right gotcha!

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Don't forget - Vladimir Putin did the same thing. But I think that Jobs' abdication is much more health-related than anything sinister. So, maybe Putie-poot didn't do the same thing.

Never mind. :lol:

pardonmyn00b
08-24-2011, 08:21 PM

It did a wheelie on the water! Jesus couldn't even do that.

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm just a couple of steps away from being a college man. I've sent in my online application (accepted) and I've registered for Introduction to Literature. It's online, no in-person requirements. It's at the Kenai campus, which is 200+ miles south of here. I have a $90 book to buy (Amazon has it for a little less) and tuition to pay. I also have a battery of placement tests to take Friday morning. I understood that I could take just English or just Math, but I was never able to talk to a person when I called. I've been running into their Great Wall of Voice Mail, so I scheduled it online and there's no way to make a distinction between the two tests.

I about lost it tonight because all of the classes I was interested in were full or over-capacity. I found just one, non-combined class that was a literature class - and I got the last seat. I have a brother that's an instructor at that same campus, which is kinda neat.

Ragnarok
08-24-2011, 11:25 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/funny-gifs-watch-where-you-are-throwing-that-disc.gif

THE_JOKER
08-25-2011, 03:09 AM
It did a wheelie on the water! Jesus couldn't even do that.

Jesus didnt have a car.....

I'm just a couple of steps away from being a college man. I've sent in my online application (accepted) and I've registered for Introduction to Literature. It's online, no in-person requirements. It's at the Kenai campus, which is 200+ miles south of here. I have a $90 book to buy (Amazon has it for a little less) and tuition to pay. I also have a battery of placement tests to take Friday morning. I understood that I could take just English or just Math, but I was never able to talk to a person when I called. I've been running into their Great Wall of Voice Mail, so I scheduled it online and there's no way to make a distinction between the two tests.

I about lost it tonight because all of the classes I was interested in were full or over-capacity. I found just one, non-combined class that was a literature class - and I got the last seat. I have a brother that's an instructor at that same campus, which is kinda neat.

Awesome!!.....best of luck Rag!! even better that you have a relation on the inside *nudge nudge* lol :chug:

Oggy
08-25-2011, 04:14 AM
Rag, good luck mate

Old Busted Hotness
08-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Jesus didnt have a car.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TekWA20uj4

THE_JOKER
08-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Cool song! lol.

Spoon37
08-25-2011, 05:52 AM

cool....until the end...looks like a painful "jump" or at least I didnt like the sound of the crunch on impact or landing

Congratulations Rag, and good luck with the rest of it :nice:

Steve jobs prolly just needs to take it easy, I may not like Apples iAnything(tm) products but I do recognise their success...must be stressful being the top guy there especially with serious health problems.

The Stray Cat
08-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Rag, congrats again bud! Online classes fill up pretty fast. My wife is going back to school, online, for a degree in social work, she wants to be a youth counselor. Ayway she ran into the same problem as you with the automated systems for the school. I can't think of a better more welcoming way to enter the world of college, especially for young kids that have to do it on their own.

Ragnarok
08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys. :chug:

It should be an interesting class. I'm a little fried right now stressing over getting everything in order and dealing with this skull-cracker migraine that really seems to not be going anywhere. :nono: Next step is that I go in for my placement test in the morning. I was told by the student services people that I could just take the English portion because I've already had some math behind me. If the test proctors argue I have to take it anyway, I guess I'll take it. I was looking at the sample test and the College Algebra section had me wracking my brain pretty bad, so I'm fearful I'll end up with a shortbus score. I guess I can always take it again when I'm ready to register with more math classes in the future. Switching gears…

My Fan Upgrade Revision 2 order came in early this evening. I've run into a new wrinkle. The HSF (which is totally awesome looking!) only mentions LGA775 and LGA1156 compatibility - no LGA1366 is mentioned. :mad: THIS wasn't my fault. Every store I've looked at says that this will work with LGA1366 CPUs. Turns out it will IF you get the LGA1366 mounting piece which is only available as a separate item. So I have that coming. It's $18-ish with shipping. Amazon themselves don't carry it, and I had to get it from an outfit selling through Amazon. So, it's a little snag, but nothing horrible. Until that shows up I'll hook my three 120mm screamers up to the fan controller and do some experiments. I'm looking forward to that, actually.

Spoon37
08-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Hmm not much love for the LGA1366 chipset is there? (I'm running one too btw), still I reckon theres not many motherboards yet available better/faster than mine(at least in the sense that other upgrades would have more effect) so I'll stay with it for a while yet, current bottlenecks are my hard disk and OS which is the next planned upgrade(ideally a decently large SSD + win 7).

Good luck with your tests Rag :chug:

Ragnarok
08-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I really find the halfassed support for the LGA1366 (which seems to be getting more halfassed by the day) aggravating. Even though its replacement, LGA2011 is on its way in the next few months, the 1366 platform is far from dead. What I feel is truly more annoying, if not outrightly deceitful, is that retailers state this product as being compatible when it isn't until you get the add on. Zalman should make this thing universally compatible right from the beginning.

Whatever. I have the 1366 mount on its way and I may have it this time next week. In a lot of ways, I'm not looking forward to installing a lot of my new stuff because it'll require a complete teardown. Getting the HSF on will require that I remove the motherboard entirely, and the front fans will require that I pull the front fascia to get to the fans' mounting screws.

:facepalm:

bajaboy5b
08-26-2011, 01:08 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1970s-Vintage-BMW-3-0-Race-car-350-Chev-/130565946740?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item1e66563d74#ht_2104wt_932

i want it :excited:

Ragnarok
08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Meh. I couldn't drive that thing around legally, so I no want. :lol:

Otay, here's how my ACCUPLACE test went down:
Reading/Comprehension: 116/120
Sentence Skills: 116/120
Essay: 6/8

Point of clarification: I didn't know what the maximum score for ACCUPLACE until I got home and did an online search. I saw those numbers (without the maximum) and didn't know what they meant and I asked the proctor. With a tone of "they're not great" in her voice she said they were okay. Those two 116/120 scores mean I missed maybe one question per test. :nono: I guess she couldn't say that butt had been kicked this day.

Next was the essay. It had this long, contradictory analysis of my writing skills:

Holistic Score Description: The essay demonstrates consistent mastery of on-demand essay writing.

Sounds pretty good so far. Let's keep going, shall we?
Purpose and Focus: Your response shows a clear purpose and a consistent focus.
Organization and Structure: Your response demonstrates strong organization of ideas.
Development and Support: Your response is logically developed and well supported.
Sentence Variety and Style: Your response shows skillful control of sentence structure and style.
Mechanical Conventions: Your response shows strong control of mechanical conventions such as grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

And you're all wondering, "DUDE! This all sounds great. What's the problem?"

THIS!
Critical Thinking: Your response shows limited clarity and complexity of thought.

LOLWUT?!? Here's what the essay amounted to. I was given a statement by Mark Twain, taken from his Corn-Pone Opinions essay, which is essentially a rant about opinions and how no one has one based on objective thought but rather forms one based on trying to be part of the crowd. The test then asks me: do people form their own opinions, or do they rely on someone else and take their opinions from them?

First, I used Mark Twain's real FULL name (Samuel Langhorne Clemens)! Secondly, I used a lot of big words like "paradoxically" and "concordantly," as well as barely-used latin terms like "et al." I talked about his comment, while perhaps mostly accurate, is ALSO an opinion, likely derived from environment and philosophies that he osmosed from people he knew, and in order to even agree his argument, you'd have to be completely subjective, have an opinion (in this case that he's right) and . I went on about how opinions CAN be developed independently based on study, contemplation and evaluation - essentially education. Anyway, I went on and on for almost 500 words, and they tell me I suck at putting together a complex thought. How can I be good with all of those technical aspects and be a frickin' dumbass when it comes to critical thinking? :nono: This is the feckless assholery that we get when automated algorithmic testing is relied upon instead of a real human being for grading. Is there a code in there saying, "He did great on the multiple choice. Let's kick him in the nuts on the written portion"?

Oggy
08-26-2011, 03:55 PM
this takes me back :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlsDmALohQQ

THE_JOKER
08-27-2011, 03:14 AM
That is a pretty damn good score Rag!......her tone indicating you needed a 100% one is sucktastic, slap her yo! lol.

As for the last part........lol wut? :nono:

Ian
08-27-2011, 03:45 AM
•Critical Thinking: Your response shows limited clarity and complexity of thought.

That to me sounds like a posh way of calling you simples.

Congrats on the score though, certainly a score not to be sniffed at!

I had a productive night last night, opened the door on the way to bed to let the dog fertilise the garden only to find a herd of deer in the garden chomping on what was left of my willow trees. They hopped the fence into the field and just stood staring at me ( creepy ) so i quietly snuck to the car and got the rifle out the boot and tested out my new uber ammo i got for it.

I took aim at a stag ( baring in mind it was pitch black and all i saw threw the scope was a silhouette ) I got the turd, then reloaded and got the other one. Then when we were looking at the damaged trees the missus heard one across the road. I quickly reloaded, it was a heck of a way away and i could barely see it. I aimed about 2 foot above it and got that one too. I honestly thought i'd taken it down, it fell over and we never heard it run off. It would have been quite an achievement considering i was only using a low powered air rifle! It should make them think twice about coming back to chomp my trees hopefully. I stayed awake until 5 am to make sure they didn't come back, then left the rifle by our bedroom window with the downstairs bathroom light on which lit the willows up for me to see if they did return.

Then, 9 am this morning, some dude stopped his car right outside our house and let his dog out the back to take a dump at the roadside!:nono: Woke me right up! Things i found out from the poo stop: His dogs name was Moss, the guy was in a hurry and made sure he kept reminding the dog of this by shouting "Come on Moss, just have a shet so we can go" Probably expecting the dog to answer him?
He told the dog what time it was.....
He also started talking to his car which needs a service apparently.. The guy had gas, yes i heard that too:nono: Oh, not forgetting, he told Moss he had to stop off at the shop to pick up a paper! I felt like shouting something out the window while the dog was between me and him, something like " Will you shut the hell up, how do you expect me to sniff out a good place to take a dump with you waffling on like that" But i never.

I need sleep.

I need a minimum deer gun, or even just a mini gun.

THE_JOKER
08-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Gonna get yourself a porch?.....an a piece of straw in your mouth?.....an a rocking chair?.....an some chewing tobacco?.........an a banjo?.

Old Busted Hotness
08-27-2011, 04:39 AM
A minigun might be a little overkill:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Tj__oCLmuy0/TWXfExq9cbI/AAAAAAAAFos/FgEs2PF4EUk/s320/gatlin%2Bminigun_original.jpg

But make damn sure to get video :shoot:

FunkyHunk
08-27-2011, 09:37 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PdqiKPIdRok/TgjyEcUrgaI/AAAAAAAAAPU/KMOkwHcwnvc/s1600/Get+off+my+lawn.jpg

Spoon37
08-27-2011, 12:05 PM
]
And you're all wondering, "DUDE! This all sounds great. What's the problem?"

THIS!
Critical Thinking: Your response shows limited clarity and complexity of thought.

I think everyone is reading this differently to me based on reactions... I read it as:
Your response shows limited clarity, and complexity of thought.

i.e. that you dont stick to one limited point of view and mention several things that make it needlessly complex.

Then I realised there wasn't a comma... :facepalm:

Ian
08-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Cheap 125cc bike anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-HONDA-CG125-RED-/220837773064?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item336af4ff08

:eek:

Oggy
08-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Cheap 125cc bike anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-HONDA-CG125-RED-/220837773064?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item336af4ff08

:eek:

wow bargain, are you buying it?

Ian
08-27-2011, 04:42 PM
A minigun might be a little overkill:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Tj__oCLmuy0/TWXfExq9cbI/AAAAAAAAFos/FgEs2PF4EUk/s320/gatlin%2Bminigun_original.jpg

But make damn sure to get video :shoot:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PdqiKPIdRok/TgjyEcUrgaI/AAAAAAAAAPU/KMOkwHcwnvc/s1600/Get+off+my+lawn.jpg

:drool: I could use them to chop the weeds too!

Just went out the front of the house to listen for deer and to make sure they don't come back. I took the bang bang with me just incase. I was sat on the bench we have whilst having a cigy and hear a noise. I grab the torch from my pocket and shine on the driveway and from up the road runs bugs bunny straight onto my drive and stops and just looks at me.....

To skin a long story short, pie for dinner tomorrow:excited:

I couldn't believe my luck, they come to me!!

THE_JOKER
08-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Poor bugger only came to say hi.

Ian
08-28-2011, 03:45 AM
It's been introduced to my oven already for a slow cook since i never let it hang :drool:

THE_JOKER
08-28-2011, 03:49 AM
I gotta get a bigger oven then just for you :D

Ian
08-28-2011, 03:51 AM
Want some cooking me tips?

THE_JOKER
08-28-2011, 03:52 AM
I'll manage.

Ian
08-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Do i get a marinade?

Speaking of, i hate waste and hate over cooked meat so when i go i don't want to be buried or cremated, i want to be BBQ'd.

Ragnarok
08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
I think everyone is reading this differently to me based on reactions... I read it as:
Your response shows limited clarity, and complexity of thought.

i.e. that you dont stick to one limited point of view and mention several things that make it needlessly complex.

Then I realised there wasn't a comma... :facepalm:

Well, this individual, incapable of clarity and complex thought, has just enough brains and the opposable thumb to pay his tuition. :bs2:

So, as of ten minutes ago I am officially a college man.

And now the work begins…

http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/general/misc-rodneydangerfield.jpg

Still gotta get my $90 book ('member, it's just one class) and figure out how to use the online "Blackboard" system.

PS: Ian, if we ever get an invitation to a "BBQ Ian's Place," please don't be offended if I decline. :blink:

Ragnarok
08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-updatenatalie.gif

Ordered my book. $79 at Amazon. :facepalm: I'm purchasing it new so that I can get it here quicker. Used via Amazon Marketplace isn't worth it because the shipping methods they employ take forever.

Also, I can't login to the Blackboard system. It could be that it's not accessible until tomorrow when the term starts, but I think there's something else afoot. Gonna try using Firefox, and if that doesn't fix things, I'll have to run it on another computer.

Ian
08-28-2011, 01:41 PM
PS: Ian, if we ever get an invitation to a "BBQ Ian's Place," please don't be offended if I decline. :blink:

I wouldn't either! I wont be there to cook me so my missus would be cooking:eek:

:sht:

pardonmyn00b
08-28-2011, 02:50 PM
http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-updatenatalie.gif

Ordered my book. $79 at Amazon. :facepalm: I'm purchasing it new so that I can get it here quicker. Used via Amazon Marketplace isn't worth it because the shipping methods they employ take forever.

Also, I can't login to the Blackboard system. It could be that it's not accessible until tomorrow when the term starts, but I think there's something else afoot. Gonna try using Firefox, and if that doesn't fix things, I'll have to run it on another computer.

Hopefully they make you use that book. I've had to purchase books for classes and then find out the instructor doesn't require you to have it. :facepalm:

Ragnarok
08-28-2011, 07:13 PM
It's part of the syllabus that the instructor herself wrote. She included a dire warning: YOU NEED THIS BOOK. :p

The Stray Cat
08-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Awesome for you Rag! Keep us posted on how you do. If you need any help, hit me up, I'm starting my next seven term for college in a week.

Ragnarok
08-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I may not be doing anything if I can't log into the damned Blackboard. :kick: I'll be knock, knock, knockin' on Support's doow-wowr, hey, hey, hey-hey-yeah first thing at 6AM.

THE_JOKER
08-29-2011, 03:01 AM
Dang college boys...

Spoon37
08-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Hmm last time I had a class involving Lecturer: "I wrote these 5 books which are essential for this course, you must buy them all!" I deliberately didnt get any of them. I took out one alternative book from the university library by another author make copious notes and passed with flying colours...

That said this particular lecturer I wouldnt have trusted to find his own backside with both hands... so maybe it varies...

Rag - My Dad teaches with the Open University, they use various online systems like virtual blackboards, forums, libraries etc - some require specialised software some require merely an up to date browser but with Java(tm) up to date or similar.

I have noticed the very latest Firefox(6.0) K.O.ed most of my plug-ins so maybe try it with IE for compatability.

The Stray Cat
08-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Well I know my wife is starting college today and she wasn't able to log on yesterday either, she had to wait until today when classes offficially started.

Ragnarok
08-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, here's what I'm getting now.
Service temporary unavailable!

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime.
My brother was able to log on last night, however he's an instructor, so there may be something to the hypothesis that I won't be able to get in until classes open. Which would be today, but that "service unavailable" notification may have something to do with them enabling access. I hope.

Spoon37
08-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Could be "maintenance" means switching it on because term is starting in that case then.

I know the last class I did(O.U. T189, Oct 2010) they setup most of it a week in advance so we could "break the ice" by chatting to people on their new fangled "forum" as you can imagine this represented no barrier to me :lolbeat:

The Stray Cat
08-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Yep, every new term we have "Ice Breaker" discussions and then weekly discussion via a forum for each class. That is how our instr. takes attendance.

Ragnarok
08-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Well, there's no point in contacting IT Support at the moment as they'll just use the "maintenance" excuse. That wasn't the problem yesterday, so I want to wait until this gets solved, try logging in again, and if I continue to have problems THEN I'll contact the support people.

Ragnarok
08-29-2011, 09:26 AM
I can't even log into the tech support page to request help. :mad: I sent an email to their general help people. Can't do any more at the moment. :nono:

Ragnarok
08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I'M IN!!!

Got into tech support via phone very quickly, too about 15 minutes to solve the problem. :hyper:

The Stray Cat
08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
HURRAYYYYYY!!!! Now get cracking on your homework young man!

THE_JOKER
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
We're in!! we've cracked it! lol

spankrjs
08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
I'M IN!!!

Got into tech support via phone very quickly, too about 15 minutes to solve the problem. :hyper:

Awesome new avatar:nice:

The Stray Cat
08-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Funny part about Rag's avatar is I just watched some of this movie about 2 or 3 weeks ago! Not a huge Dangerfield fan but he has some moments!

Spoon37
08-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Congratulations Rag! :chug:

Ragnarok
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Apparently the problem was that I didn't have a Blackboard account. LOLWUT? There's no way to get a BB account the way UAA has it set up. Whatever, I'm all good now.

spankrjs
08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Funny part about Rag's avatar is I just watched some of this movie about 2 or 3 weeks ago! Not a huge Dangerfield fan but he has some moments!

Yes, I agree. He is very annoying, but he has his "moments":lol:

Ragnarok
08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
I always thought his movies were pretty vulgar, but a lot of his stand-up stuff was hilarious. I'm using that avatar because I felt it was pretty appropriate for my current academic sitchination. :nice:

Ragnarok
08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Oh my holy crap, I think I'm in over my head. :lol: I waste at least 1000 words a week blargfratting with you guys, but when I'm asked to write a weekly journal "mini report" that's a fraction of that I get all panicky.

THE_JOKER
08-30-2011, 01:57 AM
lol, stay calm Rag!......or try anyways!.

Spoon37
08-30-2011, 04:58 AM
Oh my holy crap, I think I'm in over my head. :lol: I waste at least 1000 words a week blargfratting with you guys, but when I'm asked to write a weekly journal "mini report" that's a fraction of that I get all panicky.

We could start grading your posts if you like? might help you feel more comfortable? :lolbeat:

I think its mostly that here you can say whatever(within reason) is on your mind, where writing for a report or purpose is much more narrow and you feel you ahve to fit the questions asked rather than whats on your mind at the time.

I usually find making an outline of what I'll likely need to write about first, then take a break then look at it later and start to flesh out any of those planned points and then work on it on and off till you have it pretty much done generally works. I also find I get higher marks if I waffle on alot for ages then delete the parts that are waffle and end up with the required word limit of all quality and less waffle....but hey thats just me!

No one reading my posts would ever guess how much I can waffle on about anything and everything right?(so ends my one line reply of advice...D'oh!) :lol:

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 08:04 AM
lol, stay calm Rag!......or try anyways!.
It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't had all of these account problems and the late registration and everything else that has delayed me. The assignment is due tomorrow. I spent two hours straight reading last night and didn't get through a fourth of what I'm supposed to write about. :nono: I'm already fried.

We could start grading your posts if you like? might help you feel more comfortable? :lolbeat:

I think its mostly that here you can say whatever(within reason) is on your mind, where writing for a report or purpose is much more narrow and you feel you ahve to fit the questions asked rather than whats on your mind at the time.

I usually find making an outline of what I'll likely need to write about first, then take a break then look at it later and start to flesh out any of those planned points and then work on it on and off till you have it pretty much done generally works. I also find I get higher marks if I waffle on alot for ages then delete the parts that are waffle and end up with the required word limit of all quality and less waffle....but hey thats just me!

No one reading my posts would ever guess how much I can waffle on about anything and everything right?(so ends my one line reply of advice...D'oh!) :lol:

I appreciate it, but anything I write here would be a total non-sequitur; unless anyone here had the same book and also knew what the instructor wanted it wouldn't mean anything. Another challenge is the material is something I have a bit of an ethical problem with. I don't believe it to be true. Agreeing or disagreeing is not part of the assignment, so I'm left with the prospect of bullshatting my way through a topic that I believe to be not only incorrect but also horribly biased and agenda-driven. It's one of the things about "higher learning" that I have always despised. I can't afford to pack up, move, and go to the school where I know I won't run into much of this, so I have to just grit my teeth, give the instructor what she wants, and feel like a grade harlot when I turn in a paper that flies in the face of what I know to be true. I really wish I could have taken a math class. :mad: "X^2 + XY +Y^2 = 132" is not a moral question. It has no agenda behind it. It wasn't something that is at the root of the destruction of the family. Ya freaking solve for "X" and move on to the next one.

The Stray Cat
08-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Rag, your an intelligent, honest guy who is just trying to get a little more of an education, and unless you went to another country the materials for college are all te same. So you need to just do it the college way. You give the instructor what they want, even if its not truly your feelings or beliefs. Then once the semester is over you take from the course the importnat things and throw the rest into the barrel and a light a match!

sk8te-penguin
08-30-2011, 08:31 AM
I've stopped visiting this thread... and I wish I didn't, I have no idea whats going on anymore :lol:

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Rag, your an intelligent, honest guy who is just trying to get a little more of an education, and unless you went to another country the materials for college are all te same. So you need to just do it the college way. You give the instructor what they want, even if its not truly your feelings or beliefs. Then once the semester is over you take from the course the importnat things and throw the rest into the barrel and a light a match!

Sounds like a plan. :nice:

:lol:

Naw, it's really early in the semester. I may end up enjoying the class in spite of it.

I've stopped visiting this thread... and I wish I didn't, I have no idea whats going on anymore :lol:
It's been so random for so long that trying to catch up is pretty pointless. You'd be confused no matter what. Just pick up where you want and go from there. :chug:

Spoon37
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
It was pretty random from the start... I wouldnt worry sk8te!

THE_JOKER
08-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I heard the word "Random" came about solely because of this thread?

They stuck it in the dictionary too.

pardonmyn00b
08-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm posting on behalf of the World's worst RC video committee (me) to promote a new contest.
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?p=855323#post855323

This comment has been flagged as :spam:

THE_JOKER
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
I could win that without even trying.....infact i will....enter me as the worst video purely because it doesnt exist!.

lol, so the winner is actually the loser?.

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 03:29 PM
There's a Bob Dylan song about something like that, isn't there? :huh:

pardonmyn00b
08-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I could win that without even trying.....infact i will....enter me as the worst video purely because it doesnt exist!.

Yep. Scary isn't it?

Spoon, thanks for flagging my message as spam:p

TexasRedneck
08-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Yep. Scary isn't it?

Oh great... Now I feel like a looser for being the first to play in this contest!

:excited: I hope I win! :excited:

:lolbeat:

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 09:26 PM
What the damnhell is MLA? http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-freakout.gif Call the lifeguard! I'm sinking fast! :lol:

pardonmyn00b
08-30-2011, 09:45 PM
What the damnhell is MLA? http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-freakout.gif Call the lifeguard! I'm sinking fast! :lol:
The devil.

The Stray Cat
08-30-2011, 09:48 PM
MLA as in the writing format? My school uses APA citation. Not sure how MLA works but for creating a bibliography in MLA use this cite:
http://www.bibme.org/

In text citation I'm not sure how it works in MLA.

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 10:15 PM

The devil.

You know-dilly-know it!

http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/general/simp-devilflanders.gif

MLA as in the writing format? My school uses APA citation. Not sure how MLA works but for creating a bibliography in MLA use this cite:
http://www.bibme.org/

In text citation I'm not sure how it works in MLA.

I have an awesome resource (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/) for it actually. It's just something I've never come across before, and DEFINITELY never learned. (I guess I get to now. :huh:) It wasn't something required of me when I was writing my hugeassed essays comparing the lives and music of George Fredric Handel and Johann Sebastian Bach, and Beethoven's relationship with God for Music History. Of course, that was 15 years ago - back in the time before the internet, MP3s, and the Kardashians. :facepalm:

TexasRedneck
08-30-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
REPOST!!! :rant:

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Yeehaw! I'm gonna reference Janus in my assignment! :excited:

TexasRedneck
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Thats a repost? Crap! Im not going through 1008 pages to see what you all have already posted... :p

I have seen that video like a hundred times, and still laugh! :excited:

How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8-3Ui0uELU&NR=1&feature=fvwp

*Edit*

How about the Crazy Cat Girl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4&feature=related

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
That's new. You may proceed. :chug:

TexasRedneck
08-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Yay, I can proceed!

:bacondance:

:tea:

Ragnarok
08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
First…
Crazy cat girl? I think that one is also a repost. Oggy had a dedicated thread for it, I think. But the version you posted has the rainbow-poptart-cat meme plastered all over it. :confused: Then again, maybe I saw it over at the Harmony-Central Keyboard/Synth/Sampler forum. (?)

Next…
MORE REVISIONISM IN THE BLURAY STARWARS RELEASE! :nono:
Apparently Lucas has added Darth Vader’s laughable “NOOOOOOO!!” from Revenge of the Sith to Return of the Jedi. I know, it sounds too ridiculous to believe, but Badass Digest has apparently received confirmation that this is true, proving that Lucas is indeed insane.

And lastly…
Funky, Pål, any of you other guys in Norway. You have some 'splainin to do.

If this in ANY WAY resembles Tongan Ninja, I SWEAR TO CRAP!, I will hereby renounce my Norwegian ancestry and claim that I'm Swedish! :mad:

oldskoolmini
08-31-2011, 12:01 AM
hey fellas!!!

how's everyone doing?

ive been extremely busy lately. been setting up a new work desk for my little business. also been working on a few builds.

quick question. im building a paint booth out of the right side of my desk. i need some sort of fan and exhuast for the fumes. ive thought about getting an old computer fan and running a duct out the window. how would i go about powering the fan? im sure a few of you computer gurus could figure me out something. or would you guys suggest something different?

Ragnarok
08-31-2011, 08:12 AM
An old PC power supply. The fan should have a 4-pin Molex plug, and it would plug directly into the PSU.

Spoon37
08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
4 pin molex to 3 pin fan connectors are also cheap accessories if the fans you get or have are 3 pin(like plugs into motherboard stylee). but yeah old pc power supplies are worth nothing to PC users, should be able to find one cheaply enough.

As for Star Wars...I dunno I mean I'm a huge Star Wars fan but... I'm slowly going off the idea of buying it on BluRay - would be nice to save the odd £150 for something I can only presently play on my PC(have HD TV's but no BluRay players), and having it dicked about with is not really what I want - I'd be so happy with a pre 'special edition' cut on bluray.

Lee
08-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Lol, just had a job interview at Argos.
For the most part, i just talked about r/c helicopters with the manager :lol:

BADMUTHATrUCKER
08-31-2011, 08:32 AM
OMG Raggers, you have prompted me to see what can not be unseen and now I impose it on you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNVjI9bJIk

I think there are some kernels of corn in my pants now.

***Edit***

If it is a true story, I don't remember the Radhus and the palace in ruins... and is Captain Stubing supposed to be Kong Olav? And... Mrs BMT says she heard someone say "faen". That's rude.

THE_JOKER
08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Lol, just had a job interview at Argos.
For the most part, i just talked about r/c helicopters with the manager :lol:

I had an interview years ago at Sainsbury's.

One of the questions was, "were you in any plays at school, if so......what part did you play"

I walked out.......job was for stacking the warehouse shelves, loading/unloading of lorries, if i had known i had to dress up as Romeo an do a part with Juliet on the top shelf (aka Tony from Birmingham) i wouldn't have bothered even attending it.

Sounds like you may have the job though as it sounds he took a like to you?

All the best!.

Ragnarok
08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
OMG Raggers, you have prompted me to see what can not be unseen and now I impose it on you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNVjI9bJIk

I think there are some kernels of corn in my pants now.

***Edit***

If it is a true story, I don't remember the Radhus and the palace in ruins... and is Captain Stubing supposed to be Kong Olav? And... Mrs BMT says she heard someone say "faen". That's rude.

:rolling: That was not even close to the horror that was Tongan Ninja. I haven't been able to get past the first ten minutes. :eek:

Of course "based" is used in the loosest possible sense of the word. Some of the characters were real, and a couple of the events actually happened. The rest is the result of some 12 year olds that sat around saying, "Wouldn't it be rad if we made, like, this Bond kinda movie, and it had, like, you know, like, ninjas?"*

*Or similar approximation in Norwegian. :lol:

That's still nowhere near the cinematic abomination that is Robogeisha. BEFORE ANYONE POSTS THE TRAILER FOR THAT BE WARNED: I WILL BAN YOU FOR THREE DAYS IF I SEE IN ON THIS FORUM! I gave that warning more than a year ago and it still stands. :smackbutt: That was a scarring experience. :nono:

I'm still waiting for Cowboy Ninja Viking. :nice:

Ragnarok
08-31-2011, 09:15 AM

One of the questions was, "were you in any plays at school, if so......what part did you play"

I walked out.......job was for stacking the warehouse shelves, loading/unloading of lorries, if i had known i had to dress up as Romeo an do a part with Juliet on the top shelf (aka Tony from Birmingham) i wouldn't have bothered even attending it.

All the best!.

That is the stupidest, most irrelevant thing I've ever heard of being on a job application. What's insane is it was probably put in there by some ridiculously-overpaid HR consultant with the halfassed intent of psychological profiling prospective employees.

"Yeah, I was Pozzo in an all sock-puppet cast of 'Waiting For Godot.'"

:nono:

Terrible play, by the way. I think Beckett was a hack. Best version is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8fjM6xrFCA

PS: I think this is a perfect response to Robogeisha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHmn7Nk1NkI

Spoon37
08-31-2011, 11:39 AM
given the way hollywood is going isnt it more liekly to be: Cowboys VS ninja vikings :lol:

Bullitt
08-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Hello Peeps!

I am still busier than a rabbit on a hot date down here in SoTex. The oil patch is blowing and going like crazy and we have been super busy. My company was bought out be a much larger group and I hear BB is watching, so my interwebz is limited. Personal side, facebookers will know that I took the tribe cross country to Kalifornia for a visit to Disney, San Diego zoo, Legoland, and Carlsbad, CA. It was a fun trip that was really needed. The missus starts her next online class next week and she will have 2 more classes after that and she will earn her masters in education. Connor turns 10 in 4 days, Jackson is 6, and sweet little Em is 2.

Rag- Great to read you are going back to school. I take it you are studying music?
OSM- Don't get high in the paint booth
Ed, BMT, OG, Joker, Spank, and Funky- Missed the banter a bunch. I am looking forward to being online in the evenigs before too lond and catching up.

Harry

The Stray Cat
08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
given the way hollywood is going isnt it more liekly to be: Cowboys VS ninja vikings :lol:

So Monday I took my wife out to the movies for our anniversary. First it was decent flick, Crazy, Stupid love, typical romantic comedy stuff. Secondly WTF is up with a $10 movie ticket. No wonder people don't go anylonger. Lastly, I saw roughly 5 or 6 previews for upcoming movies that night and not a one of them was an original. So hollywood, expects us to pay more to see the movie, yet they can't come up with any original material. There was a preview for the sickening Footloose remake, another disease spreads whipes out humanity movie, Contagion, and some others that were just like everything done before.

Spoon37
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome back Bullitt - hows the young'un?

Ed - I know what you mean, I'm not too happy about paying to see old movies remade, it wouldnt be so bad if they were good remakes either. I cant comment on the price as I'm in the UK but its creeping up in price locally too. I try to only go see stuff that is original and looks appealling, needless to say I dont visit the cinema half as much as I used to :lol:

I also think modern media choices effect people's willingness to go to the cinema like you can catch alot of clips and such on youfrube on demand, and until fairly recently with no VEVO/adverts either...

The Stray Cat
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Well I know part of people not going also isthe fact that even up to a few years ago, and especially back in the VHS and early DVD days, it was at least six months between theatre release and video release, now some of them are still in the secondary (cheap) theatres and already released on DVD and Blu Ray.

Bullitt
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM
The family is great Spoon

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/a94d4e6a.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/1a4f867b.jpg

Harry

Ragnarok
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM

Well, if Jon Favreau was directing, sure. :huh: The guys that wrote Zombieland are the ones adapting it from the comic book.
Hello Peeps!

I am still busier than a rabbit on a hot date down here in SoTex. The oil patch is blowing and going like crazy and we have been super busy. My company was bought out be a much larger group and I hear BB is watching, so my interwebz is limited. Personal side, facebookers will know that I took the tribe cross country to Kalifornia for a visit to Disney, San Diego zoo, Legoland, and Carlsbad, CA. It was a fun trip that was really needed. The missus starts her next online class next week and she will have 2 more classes after that and she will earn her masters in education. Connor turns 10 in 4 days, Jackson is 6, and sweet little Em is 2.

Rag- Great to read you are going back to school. I take it you are studying music?
Nope. I'm in "non-degree-seeking" limbo. I'm taking a literature class. I just turned in my very first assignment an hour ago. I now have to go comment on 3 other students' postings. I also quit booking face about a month ago, so forgive me if I haven't seen any of your vacation fun stuff. :nice:

Well I know part of people not going also isthe fact that even up to a few years ago, and especially back in the VHS and early DVD days, it was at least six months between theatre release and video release, now some of them are still in the secondary (cheap) theatres and already released on DVD and Blu Ray.

As a guy without a life, a car, a girlfriend, and someone who spends most of his time under a rock, I don't mind this development. Thor will be out Sept. 13, Captain America will be out late October, and TF3 about a month later, and that's great for me. The lack of originality and the constant regurgitation of old ideas is definitely off p¡ssing.

Lee
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM

All the best!.

Lol. im lucky in that ive found common interest with the interviewer at every interview i've had...

The Stray Cat
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
@Harry, Family looking good and looks like they have had a good summer! Is that a new pup the Missus is holding? That's like bringing another baby home!

@Rag, yea I don't mind the quick turn around from movies to disc either, especially after experiencing the walleting raping I got buying tickets and a bag of candy.:wacko::facepalm:

Bullitt
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
She and Connor are both holding new pups. Both are mini dachshunds, which in German means "**** on your carpet".

Harry

The Stray Cat
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
She and Connor are both holding new pups. Both are mini dachshunds, which in German means "**** on your carpet".

Harry

Oh yeah! Didn't even see the one Connor was holding! Its bred into little dogs. Last fall I got two little pups, chihuahua and pomeranian mix. Tiny cute little things, the one only weighs 3.5 lbs fully grown. But it took forever to break the poop issue and the bigger of the two still has accidents every now and then. Its to the point now though that discipline doesn't even matter to her. I think the issue is the small insides. I can't imagine there's alot of room for crap storage, so when it's time it's time!:facepalm:

Ragnarok
08-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Dachshunds are still pretty cool. There's one in our neighborhood that's a longhaired breed. He looks like a huge caterpillar. He's a really cool dog. Doesn't like me, but that's okay. :lol:

FINALLY…

…FIRST…

…ASSIGNMENT…

…IS…

…DONE!

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/d1f/912/14f/resized/success-kid-meme-generator-homework-success-serious-business-c60b6d.jpg

I did the hard part earlier (also mentioned it about three hours ago - sorry), but I also had to make comments on three other student's assignments, which is what I just did, putting the first week's work in the can. All part of that "discussion" thing they keep talking about. I think/hope I'll do okay. Book should be here later on from UPS, along with a stack of DVD-R DL blanks. A good day, all in all.

Now, I'll try to have week two's stuff done by this Saturday night, and then keep repeating this so that I never get behind.

Ragnarok
08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Here's that fast theater-to-video turnaround magic at its best! :excited:

http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2011/08/transformers-dark-of-moon-official-blu.html

Moved up from November 15th to September 30th. It's one of those oddball Friday releases. I can haz $30? I'm so thrilled that I can't keep this pic away from the forum any longer. Bask in the glorious awesomeness!

http://i.imgur.com/6klMb.jpg

Spoon37
09-01-2011, 04:38 AM
:blink:

good morning all... :tea:

Lee
09-01-2011, 05:27 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/090/495/tumblr_lcpk0yuekI1qd3ppyo1_500.jpg?1293677098 (http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/90495-dog-fort?bbcode_embed=1&utm_campaign=photo_embeds&utm_medium=embed&utm_source=web)

trying to get work done for the courses im starting next week- Maths, chemistry, physics and english literature. very hard when your blasting red hot chili peppers new album though and you have half a 16'' pizza from last night.

Oggy
09-01-2011, 05:35 AM
:blink:

good morning all... :tea:

morning mate

The Stray Cat
09-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Rag, I can't wait for the new, never before released, extra, super, special, even more awesome than the last super, special blu ray release. George Lucas himself has lent his talents for milking cash cows dry to this special show!

Spoon37
09-01-2011, 06:36 AM
He also wants to remake it in 3d... :facepalm:

like actually re-edit the re-mastered footage so it appears to have been done in 3d, rather than shooting everything from scratch in a 3d remake.

So yeah Lucas is insane...but he still made my favourite movies...just wish he'd stop messing with them lol.

The Stray Cat
09-01-2011, 07:00 AM
So yeah Lucas is insane...but he still made my favourite movies...just wish he'd stop messing with them lol.

I feel the same way, I love the original trilogy, I liked it in its original format, the first special editions weren't awful either; but enough is enough let them be now.

Ragnarok
09-01-2011, 09:01 AM
This is from April of this year, but it's still poignant. Edited for a couple of vulgarities.

By the way, it's hard to gauge my instructor's response to my little essay. She seems indifferent, and made a comment that really doesn't seem relevant to anything I said. :thinking: (Won't really know until I get the grade.) The student responses on the other hand were more positive, so I don't feel as bad as I did.

FunkyHunk
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
First…
Crazy cat girl? I think that one is also a repost. Oggy had a dedicated thread for it, I think. But the version you posted has the rainbow-poptart-cat meme plastered all over it. :confused: Then again, maybe I saw it over at the Harmony-Central Keyboard/Synth/Sampler forum. (?)

Next…
MORE REVISIONISM IN THE BLURAY STARWARS RELEASE! :nono:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/Funny/be883826.jpg

And lastly…
Funky, Pål, any of you other guys in Norway. You have some 'splainin to do.

If this in ANY WAY resembles Tongan Ninja, I SWEAR TO CRAP!, I will hereby renounce my Norwegian ancestry and claim that I'm Swedish! :mad:
Why so serious?
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/Funny/deea9147.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/Anim/Ninja.gif

It will probably be just as fun as Steve Oedekirk's Kung Pow :)

THE_JOKER
09-01-2011, 05:24 PM
That's one freaky cat.

FunkyHunk
09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
That's one freaky cat.

If the Joker (from batman begins) had a cat, that's what it'd look like :p

Oh, I just realized, we're on page TEN TEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Jz3e9KJYA

Ragnarok
09-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Why so serious?

It will probably be just as fun as Steve Oedekirk's Kung Pow :)

Sorry, but it looks WAY more like Tongan Ninja than Kung Pow.

AND THERE'S MORE MEDDLING FROM DEORGE FROOKASS! :rant:

Blinking ewoks.
GREEDO STILL SHOOTS FIRST!!! But the edit is now tighter?

I think that Bleorge just saved me a hundred dollars. Feckless, cackhanded tinkermonkey. In fact, you know what? I'm going to make some predictions of other "improvements" Cheorge is probably going to add:

At the climactic end of Episode VI, when Luke removes Vader's mask, it'll reveal a CGI Hayden Christensen, aged twenty years and extra-crispy, with the real HC probably doing the ADR with his best Tom Waits impersonation.
I still wouldn't be shocked if a CGI Yoda replaces the incredibly executed puppetry of Frank Oz in the original trilogy.
Jar-Jar Binks will replace the scruffy guy behind the bar serving adult beverages at the Mos Eisley cantina.
Chewbacca will have a soul patch. Why? Because SHUT UP! That's why.
Princess Leia will have even weirderassed hair-dos in Ep IV, courtesy of the C and G Foundation, along with a special grant from the letter I.
Sebulba will have a bait and tackle shop on the banks of the swamp Luke dumps his X-Wing into.
Another POINTLESS and INSIPID karaoke scene added to Jabba's parlor.
More random lizard/camel things on Tatooine farting constantly. Maybe pooping, too. Poop jokes are always in-style. :rolleyes:
E.T. will have a cameo when the storm troopers get lost looking for the can. Oh I didn't mention that scene? Yeah, two comic relief troopers that are looking for the droids decide they need to find a Port-A-Can and then get lost in a series of doors with comedic results. Nyuk-nyuk. :nono:

The Stray Cat
09-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Rag, you're probably not far off on your predictions. I know when they stuck HC's ghost in at the end of ROTJ that is was also discussed to cut HC's face under the mask reveal scene. I have heard they are also adding a scene where Vader laughs menacingly, like Vader would ever laugh, he's not a Disney Villian for pete's sake. Hell they'll probably not only give Leia more whacky hair but enhance her breast size in the Jabba scene.

Why have they not fixed some of the real issues, like Leia saying she remembers her mother. How the heck is that possible?

Ragnarok
09-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Pre-freaking-cisely! Fix the @#%ing continuity first, you stupid bearded man!

I need to find an emoticon that properly symbolizes my murderous, volcanic rage. :thinking:

http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-forkintheeye.gif <-- Not quite.
http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-homerhulk.gif <-- Close.
http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-hulk1.gif <-- I dunno. Maybe if he was getting ready to smash a particular pompadour-sporting, flannel shirt-wearing billionaire hack?

77038 <-- Just right. It's not an emoticon, but it suits me fine.

THE_JOKER
09-02-2011, 03:42 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/tablets/tricked-into-buying-wooden-ipad-scammers-swindle-168-from-us-woman-20110901-1jmp7.html

----Ms McDowell told police that the swindlers were driving "a white Impala with no rims and no tint". One of the guys, she noted, had "a gold tooth".----

How you drive a car with no rims?.

Spoon37
09-02-2011, 07:42 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/tablets/tricked-into-buying-wooden-ipad-scammers-swindle-168-from-us-woman-20110901-1jmp7.html

----Ms McDowell told police that the swindlers were driving "a white Impala with no rims and no tint". One of the guys, she noted, had "a gold tooth".----

How you drive a car with no rims?.

lol :lol: I guess very carefully... :facepalm:

I think as they seem to be quoting verbatim she probably meant ordinary steel wheels rather than alloy wheels or "rims" in that context?

THE_JOKER
09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Maybe, but they way it was worded sounded funny lol.

Wouldnt mind listening to the police radio on that one.

"Were tailing the susp....caught him".

Ragnarok
09-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Anybody had any serious issues with UPS? :thinking:

Check this out:

"Hazardous material irregularity"? WTF does that mean?!? You guys ran a forklift tine through the resin…AGAIN?!?!?!? :kick:

This is the SECOND TIME STRAIGHT that this has happened. It's a special type of glue used in vacuum pressing. There's no other source on this. We ordered two gallons of the stuff three weeks ago and we didn't get it because UPS ruptured the containers and it was returned to the manufacturer. In checking the tracking number this morning to see why we still haven't received the second attempt I discovered that they :censor:ing did it again. :mad: My older brother in Soldotna refuses to use UPS because he's had nothing but problems: lost packages, broken, crushed and abused parcels.

Anyone else had this issue? The only damaged goods I've had with UPS was with a package I ordered from Xoxide, and the box looked like someone ran over it with a forklift. Miraculously, item inside was okay.

Ian
09-02-2011, 10:08 AM
The only problems i've noted with them ( when people post to me ) is it's more expensive.

The Stray Cat
09-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I've never personally had any issues, other than cost and sometimes it seems to take longer. Here at work however we constantly get calls from customers about things being damaged on their end because of the dumb a$$es at UPS.

Bullitt
09-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Good Afternoon
Funny thing happened after work yesterday. My nemesis, the iron truck, was finally rolling out of the yard with the ground manifold trailer in tow yesterday afternoon. We took a couple pictures, and I looked around being very happy that everything fit the way it was supposed to. Take a gander at some photos. BTW, I am the dead sexy individual in the maroon shirt sporting the visor. After looking over everything, I had enough and decided to go home. I turned left at the road and continued my 55 mile journey home in the Mustang.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01311.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01312.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01313.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01315.jpg

I got a phone call about 20 minutes later with the message saying that the ground manifold trailer flipped. About 1 mile from the shop, the goobers pulled a California roll at the stop sign and floored it on a sharp right hand turn. This was the result.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01319.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01324.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01328.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/DSC01334.jpg

Harry

The Stray Cat
09-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Holy S#@T! Guess that was a whole bunch of work wasted HUH? So are the movers part of your company or are they getting held liable for the damage?

Spoon37
09-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Good Lord :blink:

Who has to pick up the pieces afterwards?

Bullitt
09-02-2011, 02:21 PM
It was the customer's driver's at fault. There was not a thing to blame on us. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. Their company man was calling us all day yesterday trying to find out if the iron on the truck was loaded and if there driver was on their way back to their own yard. The driver was in a hurry and it shows.

Bullitt
09-02-2011, 02:24 PM
We picked up the pieces and it is sitting in our yard... again.

Ragnarok
09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Does that guy happen to work for UPS? :nono:

We have a new batch on its way. It's being flown up rather than UPS Ground-ed (which is then flown up). I don't know if it's still coming UBS or if FedUp is taking care of it.

Bullitt
09-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry Rag, your glue was not on the truck.

To add insult to injury, the iron truck has to stay in our yard because the owners cannot find any of the registration papers for the truck. They were supposed to use the equipment tuesday on a job. Guess not now:(

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Well, hopefully you guys are able to just sit back and let it be the client's problem.

Meanwhile, at Ragnar's Den of Mad Science…
HOW TO RUN YOUR DESKTOP OFF DC POWER (http://www.wikihow.com/Run-Your-Desktop-off-DC-Power)
This is relevant to my interests. http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-drevil.gif

oldskoolmini
09-03-2011, 12:52 AM
hey fellas! :wave:

@harry, i bet it hurt seeing all that hard work get trashed like that.

@rag, ive usually had great luck with ups. fedex on the other hand, they have always been late delivering packages for me.

well anyways im going dove hunting tomorrow. first hunt of the season. going to be spending the night in alabama. first time since my wreck ive slept overnight somewhere other than my bed or the hospital. little nervous about the regular mattress bothering by lack of rump. but luckily there will be enough booze after the hunt to help calm my nerves and block some of the pain. i will be sure to take tons of photos of the hunt. and maybe a vid or two of me plastered rolling in circles.

then sunday me and a buddy who is also in a chair are going to the local dirt track. getting pit passes and hanging with some racer friends. maybe find some more customers.

my business is also doing well. ive currently got 2 projects going. a hobby stock/ econo bomber car, and a 71 chevy nova. also got a couple orders in for some ministock mustangs. one in indiana and the other in oklahoma. i do beleive i have created something great here.

well i hope everyone else has a great weekend. see you all monday!:burnout:

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I've had zero problems with FedEx, and only minor ones with UPS. This latest thing is an entirely new, and very bad, experience.

Meanwhile…lightweight 53AHr 12V battery…$2,830. :cryin: Was hoping to find something in the $300 to $800 range. :( I did find a 14.8v 40Ah for just under $855, but that voltage is too high. :thinking: Disadvantage that the cheaper pack has is it's also "sealed" with just heatshrink. The "uh-spensive" one has a hard outer casing.

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Going to try to configure a 12V Li-Poly/Li-ion battery with 100Ah, or maybe even 200Ah. Need to try to see what that is in Watt-hours. (As long as the whole lump weighs less than 20lbs, I'm fine with it.) I'm kinda fried with no sleep, so it's probably not possible, or at least not affordable. Gonna try to sleep. Can't think. :o

Spoon37
09-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Your gonna run your PC on 3s LiPo's? :lolbeat:

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Yeah, my PC will be completely brushless! :blink: :nice: I couldd try to build a multi-cell pack (ie. if I can get Li-Po cells that are just 3V, it'd be a pack of four) and run several of them in parallel to get the discharge rate that I want. I need them to power a few hundred watts for 3 to 4 hours. If the best I can do is 2.5hrs, then so be it.

I'm trying to figure out ways of running my music rig should there be an extended power grid failure, and a UPS ain't gonna cut it. (I have other projects in mind with this highly probable scenario, like the electric water pump to our well, but my music rig is the one I want to figure out first.) The simplest way would be to just run everything off a high powered laptop and buy a stack of HyperJuice eternal batteries since all of my music peripherals can be USB powered. I'm not ruling that out, but this is part of my highly practical/highly impractical integrated workstation project. I want to stuff a 500W DC/DC ATX power supply (found that one) and an internal battery into the chassis.

I have found Mini-ITX motherboards with Sandy Bridge Mobile CPU sockets, which are a possibility. Quad-core CPUs have a TDP of 45W and yet have nearly the same performance as my frickin' Core i7 920 desktop setup. A 71Whr battery will power a Core i7-2820QM under heavy load (H.264 playback) for over 4 hours according to Anandtech.com. However, I'd rather use one of those upcoming Core i7-3930K hex-cores, so I found a PSU that is powered by DC that's rated up to 500W. The heaviest "pulling" part in the whole system will be that CPU. There won't be any big, scary GPU to feed because it's not necessary for this system. Next would probably be either the LCD or the CPU's closed-loop liquid cooler. The way I've designed the chassis for this instrument, the motherboard and hard drives will fit in a module in one end, and the PSU and battery + regulator will reside in another. I designed the thing to have room for two systems under the hood, and in this case I'd fill the secondary system space with batteries.

Now, supposedly the TDP wattage of those new SB-E CPUs is 130W at idle, and as high as 180W under load. (We're not going to know the real scoop on this until some production-spec CPUs are actually reviewed.) The real amount of wattage requirements system-wide would probably be below 300W. All HDs would be 2.5" laptop drives or SSDs, the two optical drives will be slot-loading laptop units, and there would be an iPad and an iPod touch that would probably in a constant state of charge via USB. Also would be some USB-powered items: anywhere from one to three Livid Instruments DIY custom USB/Midi control surface units, possibly a Doepfer rotary encoder surface, and the keyboard action + keyboard "brain," and I don't see any of those being big pullers.

I did find an external battery (http://www.thebatterygeeks.com/product-p/spps-12-444_batterygeek.htm) that can be used to power 12V devices and it's rated at 444Wh. The battery's $750. My machine is 12V all 'round, so 444Whr/12V = 37Ahr. 444Whr/300W = 1.48Hrs (if my math is right…which it probably isn't). Ideally, I'd like at least twice this. Could I run a pair of these in parallel?

(As a side note, maybe a pair of those SB-Mobile systems networked would be a better setup? 90 to 100W vs. 130 to 180W?)

The nearly-$3K battery I alluded to earlier is a super light-weight (under 14lbs), high performance car battery used for drag racing and endurance racing. It had a rating of 53Ahrs and a nominal voltage of 12.8V, and included a low voltage cutoff unit. That's 678.4Whr at that voltage. Its advantage over the previous unit is that LVC and a wide operating temperature range (it's a car battery after all). But $2,900? That's more expensive than the whole computer component of this project.

What do you battery and electronics experts think? Am I trying to do something that's completely impractical?

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I know that what I'm suggesting is possible now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOE9dT1umNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wYl4q3mOY

Specs: http://www.nextcomputing.com/images/datasheets/radius-ex-b.pdf

What I find interesting is there's no data on the battery that I can see. :thinking: (I'm in the middle of downloading the second video and haven't watched it completely, so I don't know if it's mentioned there or not.) If this can power a Sandy Bridge 2600K for 2 to 4 hours as they claim, then there's something to my idea.

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Found some 3.2V 200Ahr batteries that I could run in series that are $500 each. It'd be $2,000 to run the voltage I need, though. Charging would be a nasty bastage, too. And at 14lbs each, it'd be a 52lbs total. Nevermind. :p

Here's what the battery inside the Radius EX-B looks like. It's the thing on the top that sorta resembles a Chevrolet logo.

The way these guys have adapted the battery is that it also works like a UPS, as you can see in that first video and the end of the second. It's plugged into the wall, and the guy unplugs the power cord at the computer but the machine stays running without a hitch as he packs it off. The space I have in my workstation design as it sits now, I could easily pack two of those batteries laying flat, side-by-side, in the extra system bay.

I would love to know what kind of voodoo is at work here.

Bullitt
09-03-2011, 09:55 PM
My head always hurts after reading your posts Rag. You have a complete electronics encyclopedia in your head and mine is nothing more than an empty Big Chief notepad! :lol:

Harry

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 10:38 PM
But it's not an encyclopedia. If it was, I'd know what the hell I was doing and my posts would only be about fifteen words long. :lol:

Ragnarok
09-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Well, I think I'm going to abandon the idea for now. I keep going around in circles, with no breakthroughs or new ideas. There is less than nothing about that Radius battery pack's specs. Kinda frustrating. I'm sure that whatever it is might be off-the-shelf components, but the UPS component and a bunch of other stuff may still have been worth about $50K to $100K in R&D and tooling, so it's definitely not worth pursuing it.

Spoon37
09-04-2011, 04:46 AM
yeah sounds like one not for the everyday joe due to cost - I'd guess a few years down the line if there is a technological breakthrough in safe large capacity batteries it might bring costs way down, but till then it sounds like something out of reach.

I have used supposedly very good very expensive UPS systems at work at a couple of different companies and I can tell you they are never good enough, at one company two UPS' in parralell which should have given at least 30 minutes use for all servers barely gave us 10 minutes to shut everything down in the event of a power cut and any surge like a new monitor being switched on would kill it pretty quick. It would have helped if those servers were quick to shut down but one thing about machines designed for continuous use & heavy traffic is they dont like starting up or shutting down quickly.

FunkyHunk
09-04-2011, 08:32 AM
So, how has everybody's weekend been?
We've been to mother in law's cabin for the whole weekend just enjoying the weather.
Friday we had 26degrees C in the shade, and absolutely no clouds in the sky.
Yesterday we had 23deg c, not bad for early september and the location being 300km's north of the polar circle.
I also got to get a good look at the northern lights yesterday around midnight for the first time this year :nice:
We took some video of the dog playing around in the sea that i'll upload to youtube later.
It was an absolutely great weekend :)

Spoon37
09-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Sounds like a good weekend Funky! :chug:

Its been ok so far - nothing fancy, been tidying up a bit, including my RC stuff: I think my mind must be going because I've been thinking of buying a couple of mild 19t brushed motors for one of my E-maxxes(been trying to get it running on a single pack, twin silver cans were too slow though), so naturally I found 2 brand new Orion 'formula' pro bearing 19x2's that I have no memory of buying nor receiving :excited:

So tidying up for the win :nice:

In other news I am losing weight - some of you have seen my picture on deviant art, I'm not particularly skinny, but I've been on a diet and excercise plan for the last 6 weeks ('the Dukan diet' if anyones interested), this morning I was another pound lighter so I've now lost 17lbs total. Still weigh 230lbs...but thats better than 247 :lol: (I am barely 6 feet tall, aiming to get under 220lbs if possible)

Now I just need to install these 19t motors and see how the E-maxx performs with some old school basher power...(basically its these motors work or I spend alot more money and go brushless w/ 4s LiPo's).

Old Busted Hotness
09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Rag, why not a motorcycle or lawn&garden battery? Or, eff it, get a deep-cycle marine battery.

Ragnarok
09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
The keyboard will already weigh somewhere between 70 and 110lbs. What would it be like to add another 60 to 100lbs? :eek: I'd have to call it Jaba the Synth. :blink:

The original idea was to have a lightweight, high-Whr battery in the instrument, presumably some flavor of Lithium. Now, if I didn't actually put it inside the machine and maybe had it in some kind of rolling cradle thingy with an "umbilical cord," my options do open up a whole bunch. Any kind of SLA battery would be a pittance compared to a custom Lithium pack. But if I could stay with some kind of hellbeast Lithium I'd go as high as $1,200 if I could find the right one. :thinking:

Here's the one I found a few nights ago --> https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.voltphreaks.com/ssl/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_32&products_id=120 The trouble is, beyond its wallet-murdering $2,900 price tag, I'm not sure that the Whr rating is enough. :confused: 53Ahr x 12V = 636Whr, which would be enough to run 300W for two hours (if I understand what Watt-Hour means correctly). See, if I knew what the hell I was doing I wouldn't be so indecisive and confused.

Ragnarok
09-04-2011, 09:58 PM
I may be down but not out on this battery thing. Here's a theoretical scenario:

4x 3.2V (Tenergy) or 3.3V (A123), 20Ahr Li-FePO4 cells in series. (Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are the safest that I know of, so this works out pretty good.) This equals a 12.8V to 13.2V (depending on the cell voltage) pack @ 20Ahr. The 12V 500W DC/DC power supply I have chosen will handle 9V-18V DC, so feeding it a little over 12V is just fine.
6x four cell packs in parallel. This equals 12.8V to 13.2V @ 120Ahr.
Ahr * V = Whr. Watt-hour rating becomes 1536Whr to 1584Whr (again, depending on which cells I get). At 300W from the computer, in an ideal world this would give me a bit over 5 hours of run time.

Each pack would have a "protection circuit module" that protects the cells from over charge, over discharge, over current, short circuits, and low-current lock. It also balances the cells.

Now, there's the cost to be considered. Each Tenergy 3.2V 20Ah cell is $63 at All-Battery.com. (They go for as high as $80 a piece, so $63 isn't that bad.) I'm looking at a total of 24 cells, or $1,512, plus six protection circuit modules at $29 each, or $174. That's $1,586 before we start looking into chargers. It's a little more than half of the hi-po battery for endurance racing, and at a much higher discharge rate: 636Whr vs 1536Whr. It's all very expensive, but two-and-a-half times the Whr rating at a little more than half the cost? Seems like I'm getting a bit of a deal, providing I can wrangle these custom packs in an elegant and non-complicated fashion.

Before I go any further, here's the weight factor. Each cell is 580g, or about 20.5oz. 24 of these cells would give me 492 grams, or 30.75lbs. They're going to be pretty heavy.

Now, Tenergy also offers a 3.2V cell rated at 200Ahr and are $500 each. If I ran four of these in series, I'd have 12.8V, 200Ahr, $2,000. But that extra $450 would give me a simpler battery pack AND a total of 2560Ahr! That would be a solid 8.5 hours of use at 300W!!! (Plus they're sealed instead of tabbed Lithium "sacks.") I'm seriously looking at this. The biggest problem I see with it is I'm experimenting with two grand, possibly more if the whole thing blows up or fries the computer. I do have an old computer to experiment with, so I wouldn't be experimenting directly on the workstation until I knew it would work.

Weight would be the biggest downside to going this route, though, as the larger cells weigh a bunch more. Each is almost 14lbs, and four of them would be 56lbs. 26 extra pounds over the previous scenario is a lot of weight to consider. I may have to name this thing The Herniator. Now, if I can get my folding-rise stand idea to work (which I haven't so far) it won't be so bad.

EDIT: I have found a no-name 3.2V 200Ahr battery for HALF the cost of the Tenergy cells. I could build my monster battery pack for about a grand with these.

EDIT 2: There are lots of sources for 3.2V 200Ahr LiFePO4 cells it seems. There are several brands and prices all seem to range from $250 to $300 per cell. Makes the $500 for the Tenergy cells seem like a ripoff. The best sources for these are outfits catering to EV conversions of cars and motorcycles. :blink:

EDIT 3: I may also look into 3.2V 130 to 160Ahr cells as they're a lot smaller, lighter, less money, and run time would still be great - 4 to 6.5Hrs.

Now if ANYONE thinks I've lost my mind and I'm venturing into that area of the map where it says "hic sunt dracones," feel free to talk me down.

Ragnarok
09-05-2011, 12:47 AM
HOLY BLARGH!!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=176.0

There is a HUGE community dedicated to running their audiophile and studio gear, including computers, on DC POWER and BATTERIES!!! :excited: They do it because DC power is clean. My motivation is different than theirs, but the process is the same.

http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-stickhorse.gif

Ragnarok
09-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry for all my incessant yammering, guys. I didn't intend to stagnate the thread. Just ignore my rants. :nice:

Old Busted Hotness
09-05-2011, 12:59 PM
You've got 2,347 posts in this thread :eek: If we ignored 'em the thread would be 15% shorter.

Ragnarok
09-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm just referring to my most recent ones. :lol:

Spoon37
09-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Not really ignoring your posts Rag, I just dont have anything to add :lol:

THE_JOKER
09-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Carry on Rag!....if i dont understand the text/spreckenzilingedy part.....i still enjoy the pics/vids! :lol:

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 04:17 AM
I clicked on "General R/C Banter" by accident an couldnt see the "Between me an Rangerboy" thread.....

It felt like 2012 had arrived.

pardonmyn00b
09-06-2011, 06:55 AM
:wave:

The Stray Cat
09-06-2011, 07:27 AM
No need to stop ranting Rag, I, like the others, enjoyed the rants, just dodn't have anything to add. I can teel you that with all of your indecisiveness about your PC and music setup you might want to try some ADD meds! LOL!

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Willing to share Ed? :lol:

Ragnarok
09-06-2011, 08:23 AM
No need to stop ranting Rag, I, like the others, enjoyed the rants, just dodn't have anything to add. I can teel you that with all of your indecisiveness about your PC and music setup you might want to try some ADD meds! LOL!

:thinking: I probably do. The problem is that I know what I want, but I argue with myself if it's worthy of pursuit. Is it a waste of time? Or is this impractical? Or why do I feel this is important in the first place? Etc.

Willing to share Ed? :lol:

BST VIOLATION! http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-mad.gif

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 08:28 AM
:lolbeat:

The Stray Cat
09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I don't see how this is a violation of the BST, Buy Sell Trade, doesn't say anything about not sharing, I was always told sharing was good!:p

As far as your indecisiveness, I know the process, yes I want it, is it worth what I have to pay, are the less expensive alternatives going to give me the same fulfillment as the one I really want? Struggle with this stuff everyday Rag, don't get discouraged!:wacko:

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 08:42 AM
As far as your indecisiveness, I know the process, yes I want it, is it worth what I have to pay, are the less expensive alternatives going to give me the same fulfillment as the one I really want? Struggle with this stuff everyday Rag, don't get discouraged!:wacko:

I get that on everything inc Bread.

The Stray Cat
09-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I get that on everything inc Bread.

I have this problem with my socks and uinderwear in the morning!

White socks, black socks, argyle socks, boxers, briefs, to many decisions!:facepalm:

Ragnarok
09-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Meh. I just wear what's clean. If it matches…BONUS!

Look at this: Gamer stuffs PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles into one case (http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/06/gamer-stuffs-ps3-and-xbox-360-consoles-into-one-case-clears-she/). And when you're done with that, peruse one of the most awesome websites on the planet --> www.BenHeck.com

See, I'm not alone in my illness. :lol: However, it's just that some people are actually able focus their energies enough to make this stuff real. I have too much "real life" on my hands to get beyond the daydream stage. :nono:

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 08:56 AM
As cool as it is, having 2 enemies so close together in one case?

I dunno Rag.

Sounds like a plot for trouble!

As for the second link, hell yeah I'm gonna try me some Spamtatoes!!

Dunno about his xbox controllers though....2 things:

1) One handed controller looks awkward.
2) Why would you want a one handed controller? (filthy jokes aside)......wait....I think I get it, nevermind.

Ragnarok
09-06-2011, 08:58 AM
The one handed controllers are for disabled users. :nice:

Some of the more impressive stuff BH is responsible for are "console laptops." His forums are full of guys doing their best to imitate them, but there are a few from some users that are certifiably kickass!

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah the "Disabled" thing hit me as i was typing lol.

I seen that xbox laptop looking piece, pretty impressive!.

Lee
09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
whats this about running a pc on batteries? whats wrong with the power everyone else uses? :lol:

sorry im out of the loop, been back at school- started A-levels and its quite in-depth. Brilliant new school, met some cool people and i heard that i have a job in argos today that im starting on the 24th of september.

has anyone played the new driver game yet? My local game branch is selling it for £10 if you trade dirt3 in, might go and get it in my lunchbreak tomorow.

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Glad to hear you got the job Lee :nice:

Spoon37
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Grats on the job Lee! :nice:

Dunno about the latest Driver game, enjoyed messing about in the first one though :lol:

The Stray Cat
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
The first Driver game was pretty sweet, the second one not so much. So it'd be interesting to see what they do with this one.

Ragnarok
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
whats this about running a pc on batteries? whats wrong with the power everyone else uses? :lol:

I'm trying to figure out ways of running my music rig should there be an extended power grid failure, and a UPS ain't gonna cut it. (I have other projects in mind with this highly probable scenario, like the electric water pump to our well, but my music rig is the one I want to figure out first.)

:poke: :lol:

Here's my list of probable causes for the aforementioned extended grid failures: windstorm taking out power lines or trees falling on said power lines (had several of those last fall/winter); big enough earthquake to knock out power stations (which we've had); extreme solar storm; EMP burst from the Chicoms, the New Russian Empire, or the Norks; collapsed economy.

Those last two, things would be bad enough that I don't think that I'd be too worried about what was happening with my computer gear. Safety and survival would be my most important concerns. I'd be trying to find shelter, warmth, food and…then…just…waiting things out.

Speaking of school, I just got my first grade: 9.5/10 :) Feeling pretty good about that. "Good post, met length requirements, missing reference/cites. Three replies." The references thing is something I have to work on, I guess. If I can pull these all year, my GPA might actually start looking better. :lol:

THE_JOKER
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice result Rag!

Keep it up for the rest now! :lol:

Ragnarok
09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks. I certainly hope I can. My next assignment is due tomorrow. I think is anyway. :confused: No deadline was posted on this one, but I'm going to assume that Wednesdays are the established "hand the damn thing in" day. :lol:

Hey, movie rumors: Expendables 2 will have more substantial roles for Schwarzenegger and Willis. I liked the first and if the second is at least as good then I'm all for it.

Also been seeing leaks here and there that give a pretty good idea of what the character design for the Hulk may look like in the new Avengers movie. Anatomically, he's really close to Letterier's Big N' Tall Hulk vs. Ang Lee's 15' Constipated Baby Hulk. Facially he looks a lot like Ruffalo (the guy who's playing Banner). Actually, in the first one he looks like Robert Z'Dar. :eek:

Bullitt
09-06-2011, 08:25 PM
My latest driver game is zombie highway for the iPhone. Zombie gunship is even better. I am looking forward to Christmas time in the hope that we will be getting an iPad and then I wont have to look online with the iPhone!

Harry

THE_JOKER
09-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Also been seeing leaks here and there that give a pretty good idea of what the character design for the Hulk may look like in the new Avengers movie. Anatomically, he's really close to Letterier's Big N' Tall Hulk vs. Ang Lee's 15' Constipated Baby Hulk. Facially he looks a lot like Ruffalo (the guy who's playing Banner). Actually, in the first one he looks like Robert Z'Dar. :eek:

Is this one something to do with the end credits on Iron Man?.

When, I think it was the military guy who said he's assembling a team. Is this "Avengers" film what he meant?

The Stray Cat
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
@Joker yes the Avengers movie has been in planning for a long time, that's why the Captain America movie is subtitled the first avenger and they rushed Thor and Capt America's release so they can get to work on the Avengers. I also read that Chris Evans, the Capt America star is on contract with Marvel Studios for ten years t0 play Capt America.

THE_JOKER
09-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Oh cool! I wondered when a film would appear, explaining the "I'm assembling a team" quote.

I'm still behind, I'm going to get "Thor" end of the month though.

Ragnarok
09-07-2011, 10:00 AM
The team assembly quote was from the end of The Incredible Hulk. Stark confronts General Ross in a bar. The end of IM2 has Nick Fury as Samuel L. Jackson telling Stark he's only on as a consultant or something silly like that. If you watch in the background of that scene you'll see the Asian reporter that was reporting on the Hulk's first serious public outing on that university campus from the middle of The Incredible Hulk. :nice: Maybe it suggests that the events of that Stark/Fury meeting were happening simultaneously with the events of Hulk transforming Gen. Ross' Hummers into pieces of modern art.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing Thor. It's out next week here in Barackistan, but I won't have a payday for a couple of weeks, I'm sure, so I'll probably get it and TF3 on the same day (Sept 30).

I was allowed to stay home this morning to get my assignment finished. I have to do a massive rewrite. The instructor wants 250 or more words for each of the two parts of the assignment. I only have the first part done and I've given 1173 words. :blink: It's seriously too much. I have to dig in and try to condense it.

The Stray Cat
09-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Thor is just getting released on DVD this week I believe.

Ragnarok
09-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Oh, I thought it was the 13th. :confused: X:Men: First We're Gay Class* comes out day after tomorrow.

*Addendum: My little dig there is the result of a review I read on Collider (I think) where they mentioned how wonerful it was that the latest X-Men flick was an allegory on bullying homosexuals. :nono: I'm so tired of agenda movies.

The Stray Cat
09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Rag I believe you are correct on the THor release date. I have no desire to see the revamped, prequel esque, Xmen flick. I enjoyed the original three, not that they were great movies or anything but enjoyable enough. I also enjoyed the spin off Origins flick. THis Xemen beginnings movie however does not appeal to me. I have watched several trailers and none of them really stand out as Comic book movies. The trailers seem to me to be about a college dorm for horny kids with powers.

Ragnarok
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The trailers seem to me to be about a college dorm for horny kids with powers.

:lol: That sounds about right. :chug:

The Pitch to 20th C. Fox: "It's like 'Animal House,' except it's a Cold War drama, the naked chicks are blue-skinned shape-shifters, one guy can lift beer kegs with his mind, and they fly around in an SR-71." :facepalm: <-- Yes, the irony is intentional.

The Stray Cat
09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
LOL!!!!

That sounds just about perfect, let's make that movie and we'll base it in the Marvel universe to explain the blue skin and keg lifting, DC Comics would never go for it.:whip:

imthatguy
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Rag I believe you are correct on the THor release date. I have no desire to see the revamped, prequel esque, Xmen flick. I enjoyed the original three, not that they were great movies or anything but enjoyable enough. I also enjoyed the spin off Origins flick. THis Xemen beginnings movie however does not appeal to me. I have watched several trailers and none of them really stand out as Comic book movies. The trailers seem to me to be about a college dorm for horny kids with powers.

You should see it, it was pretty good. The dude who plays Magneto rocks it.

Ragnarok
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
DANGNESS! Got the assignment done.
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/d14/348/2b9/resized/success-kid-meme-generator-500-words-required-gave-1-794-2eba47.jpg

90 MINUTES OF FREEDOM!!!

Ragnarok
09-07-2011, 01:59 PM
(Warning: Thread killer post ahead…)

Been looking at the battery thing again. Maybe Stu's idea (or a variation on it) is what I should be looking at. I've been caught up in stuffing it into the chassis with the rest of the components, and there's too much hassle and other things to worry about. What the audiophiles are doing is running off of AGM-type 12V batteries with a CTEK charger. The higher-end CTEKs are automotive oriented, and as such have a power supply mode that allows you to plug it into the car in place of the battery so that you can start your car without the battery or keep battery-backed up stuff powered on while the battery is out of the vehicle. Combine that charger with a good battery and you have essentially a simple UPS. What I may try to do is integrate the battery into the stand somehow. I'm still investigating what I'm looking at cost-wise and what strategy to take if I go that route.

Ragnarok
09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
12V 200AHr advanced glass mat deep-cycle battery - $406.90
http://www.siliconsolar.com/12v-200ah-agm-battery-p-502973.html
124.00 lbs
:facepalm:

No way to integrate that into a keyboard stand. It'll need its own hand truck.

The Stray Cat
09-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Good job on the school thing Rag, I just started my three classes today.

FunkyHunk
09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Something for the kids? (http://wickedlasers.com/lasers/S3_Krypton_Series-113-63.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tx02Up-ovw

FunkyHunk
09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Oh, anybody got the wheelbase of the midnight pumpkin and the blackfoot bodies by any chance?

Ragnarok
09-08-2011, 12:03 AM
I don't know for sure. I want to say that the Blackfoot had a wheelbase of about 9.5" or 10", but don't take my word for it. I know the MP had one much shorter than that, but I can't say for sure.

When I start building my workstation this winter, one of the things I want to get is an open chassis "test bench" case for the motherboard until I can get the system into the keyboard itself. I wanted to use a Lian Li PC-T60B "Pit Stop." Was looking for one on Amazon (having problems with Newegg emptying my cart and wishlist before I can get to the checkout) and found something I didn't know existed. It's the MYOPENPC BENCH Dragon. It's plastic instead of aluminum, but it looks more stable and much cleaner than the Lian Li when stuffed with PC guts. I think I'm a' going with it instead. :nice:

I have one sitting in my shopping cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger in mid-October.

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Oh, anybody got the wheelbase of the midnight pumpkin and the blackfoot bodies by any chance?

I'll check, I got a LB body just lying around...

**edit**

Ok seems to be around 203mm by eye, thats just a hair under 8". This is only measured by eye with a steel ruler so it might be out by a tiny bit but its definetly in the region of 8"/203mm.

Have to admit I assumed it would probably be 9.3" but its a pretty small body.

THE_JOKER
09-08-2011, 03:43 AM
I always wondered about dust problems in "open cases" myself Rag?

Not relevant to what i just said, but i read this morning, Chuck Norris is also in Expendables 2?....lol......is it safe?

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Well wouldnt a test bench be meant for temporary use? it looks like the ideal thing to bolt up say a motherboard to test out, then take it off and install it in a regular PC case once you are happy with it.

I guess you could use it as a permanent case, plus Rag may intend it to be a small part of a built up unit judging by earlier mention of plans(?).

THE_JOKER
09-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Oh no, i meant the other cases a bit like that, which are intended to be full open.

Those are the ones that i meant about the dust problem, sorry i never worded it right, Rag's pics reminded me of them is all.

This one for example:

http://mightygadget.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/antec-skeleton-2.jpg

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 04:01 AM
I dunno tbh I mean despite my best efforts every closed case I've used gets dust inside it over time, maybe some folk just think well it gets dusty anyway so does it matter if the case is open?

THE_JOKER
09-08-2011, 04:03 AM
I guess so.

Ragnarok
09-08-2011, 09:14 AM
I always wondered about dust problems in "open cases" myself Rag? It's a test bench case, so it's only a temporary home. The new system I will run on it won't be on there for more than four or five months. (After that, it'll be a diagnostic/repair center for my machines and machines of family members that I do "Family Tech Support" for.) I want to build the computer first to get its configuration right while I work on the chassis for the workstation as I can. :chug: It'll be LGA2011 based. If I had a secure way of showing it it'd be fun to show off what I'm aiming for in the final design. I think I'm going to put the battery angle on ice. It's not going to be a priority, but what I learned will be pretty valuable for other "off the grid" projects. :D

Not relevant to what i just said, but i read this morning, Chuck Norris is also in Expendables 2?....lol......is it safe?
I'm pretty sure this is rumor right now. Norris, JCVD and a bunch of others are supposedly being courted, but there hasn't been any confirmation that I've seen. :nice: Supposedly JCVD wasn't in the first one because he wanted too much money. I can't remember where I read/heard that, so don't quote me on it.

I guess you could use it as a permanent case, plus Rag may intend it to be a small part of a built up unit judging by earlier mention of plans(?).

Yup. Temporary. Although if you look around some guys are running test benches as permanent setups. I'm sure it's Geek Cred.

Oh no, i meant the other cases a bit like that, which are intended to be full open.

Those are the ones that i meant about the dust problem, sorry i never worded it right, Rag's pics reminded me of them is all.

This one for example:

http://mightygadget.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/antec-skeleton-2.jpg
That Antec is an abomination. It looks really cool, but for an open chassis it was poorly designed. The PSU sits right against the CPU's HSF backplate, wiring is jacked around in awkward fashion, and a few other things. They offered a mesh cage add-on to go between the arches that lead up to the "Big Boy Fan" (WTF were Antec's marketing trolls thinking?). I thought about getting one once, but I wasn't sure if it was the best way to go after I saw a few functional reviews.

I dunno tbh I mean despite my best efforts every closed case I've used gets dust inside it over time, maybe some folk just think well it gets dusty anyway so does it matter if the case is open?

The only redeeming aspect to an open case is you can see your dust accumulate, so it (theoretically) gives a person the incentive to keep it out. In an enclosed case, ya may not pay any attention to it until you have to replace an HD or change some parts. :eek:

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 09:20 AM
W00t modelsport order arrived finally....now I can finish re-painting the f350...

oh and I grabbed some of them ultra cheapy Ansmann stock steelie wheels with glued tyres that look alot like 1.9" rock crushers... smells like rubber lol. not sure if I should take lots of pics and do a kind of mini write up(people know about these already right? :confused: ), but they are £9.99 a pair and look ok - gonna see how they perform in a mo(after cuppa).

Ragnarok
09-08-2011, 09:29 AM
STEELIE WHEELIE AUTOMOBILIE!!! :burnout:

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Rag, I heard JCVD wanted to much money for a part also, so I think it may have been the case. I'd like to see Norris come in as a Baddie this time. I really liked the first one, in a masculine blow stuf up and shoot the heck out of everything kind of way! Hopefully the next will be the same. I'd like to see Stallone get Mr. T also, even if it's just a cameo. Him and Stallone were friends back in the day.

On a side note, I just recently watched the West Coast Customs show where they made the truck for Stallone in that movie, I should say truckS.

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
one cup tea, one battery and for some reason lots of greenfly later... these el cheapo tyres aint half bad - seemed to do ok on the grass(which needs mowing so its a bit long), concrete paving slabs, dirt, and loose leaves in my garden - only problem is I put them on the TL01 stadium raider, which because it was struggling for power with the silver can I didnt lock the diffs as I didnt want to add any more stress to the motor - since then I've put in an LRP truck puller 80t which has fixed all that but I didn't yet lock the diffs. so need to lock em up to get a better idea of the real traction these tyres give.

Only thing I cant explain is why the stadium raider was covered in greenfly afterwards...do they like the smell of fresh rubber? :blink:

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 02:17 PM
one cup tea, one battery and for some reason lots of greenfly later... these el cheapo tyres aint half bad - seemed to do ok on the grass(which needs mowing so its a bit long), concrete paving slabs, dirt, and loose leaves in my garden - only problem is I put them on the TL01 stadium raider, which because it was struggling for power with the silver can I didnt lock the diffs as I didnt want to add any more stress to the motor - since then I've put in an LRP truck puller 80t which has fixed all that but I didn't yet lock the diffs. so need to lock em up to get a better idea of the real traction these tyres give.

Only thing I cant explain is why the stadium raider was covered in greenfly afterwards...do they like the smell of fresh rubber? :blink:

UH..............WHAT?????:wacko:

THE_JOKER
09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
He's talking about the order he got from "ModelSport" Ed......at least i think he is.

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
See previous post(scrolling up 3 whole posts on this page is hard right?)

oh and I grabbed some of them ultra cheapy Ansmann stock steelie wheels with glued tyres that look alot like 1.9" rock crushers... smells like rubber lol. not sure if I should take lots of pics and do a kind of mini write up(people know about these already right? ), but they are £9.99 a pair and look ok - gonna see how they perform in a mo(after cuppa).

Talking about these: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-crawler-wheel-tyre-set-96mm-black-scale-rim/rc-car-products/36425

as for the greenfly thing...no clue, but there were loads of em all over the bodyshell...<_<

**edit** sorry if this too normal a topic for this thread, but it seems pointless to make a whole thread in 1.9" along the lines of "hey look guys after 12 years of RC I finally worked out how to bolt on 4 new wheels/tyres!"

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I was confused about the green fly comments, don't have green flies here.

THE_JOKER
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
We got loads......trip through the country on a bike, with your mouth open, and you only need one meal a day.

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
See previous post(scrolling up 3 whole posts on this page is hard right?)

Talking about these: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-crawler-wheel-tyre-set-96mm-black-scale-rim/rc-car-products/36425

as for the greenfly thing...no clue, but there were loads of em all over the bodyshell...<_<

**edit** sorry if this too normal a topic for this thread, but it seems pointless to make a whole thread in 1.9" along the lines of "hey look guys after 12 years of RC I finally worked out how to bolt on 4 new wheels/tyres!"

Spoon those are like the ones that Peter sells on here. They are really good tires for the price, I love the way mine have performed.

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 02:30 PM
well they are very small - tiny green bodies with much larger wings, two or three could rest on your fingertip.

according to wikipedia they are a kind of Aphid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid

particularly: "When host plant quality becomes poor or conditions become crowded, some aphid species produce winged offspring, "alates", that can disperse to other food sources. "

All the ones on my RC had wings but I guess they came off the long grass...maybe I should mow it :lol:

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Spoon those are like the ones that Peter sells on here. They are really good tires for the price, I love the way mine have performed.

Yeah liking them so far - might get a couple more sets, not like its gonna break the bank :lolbeat:

I'd guess Ansmann are acting like a distributor here, although the ones they buy in have "AR" for Ansmann Racing molded in the side.

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Yep I seen that, Peter has two sizes, I've only used the bigger diameter ones, but the tread pattern is the same and I imagine the compound is also.

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
We got loads......trip through the country on a bike, with your mouth open, and you only need one meal a day.

Thanks for clearing that up. Over here we have Blackflies that are pretty much the same way but they are usually more in abundance during the spring or early summer.

Spoon37
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I think over here we call the really small blackflies "midges" but we get them too :(

Looks like modelsport only stock one size, its 96mm which is a shade under 4" - its not too bad as its at least bigger than BFG's and I have a few rigs running BFG's....guess thats the smaller size though?

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes he has 96mm or 108mm i believe which come out at aroung 4.25"

Yes I think the midges there are what we call black flies or gnats here.

Ragnarok
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
:sht: Yeah, one was inaugurated in 2009.

Just got an email from my niece. She thinks I need a pair of these. :blink:

http://www.perpetualkid.com/500xl-desktop-earbud-speakers.aspx

:rolling:

The Stray Cat
09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Wow! those must've been designed for Paul Bunyan's ears!:excited:

spankrjs
09-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I think over here we call the really small blackflies "midges" but we get them too :(

Looks like modelsport only stock one size, its 96mm which is a shade under 4" - its not too bad as its at least bigger than BFG's and I have a few rigs running BFG's....guess thats the smaller size though?

I was hoping they were smaller, but they are too big for my Pajero:(

I need something (beside the Tamiya BFG's) that is 88-90 mm in height, 95-96mm is too tall:confused:

Ragnarok
09-08-2011, 11:46 PM
:bs2: Server crapped on me just as I was trying to "contribute" to other classmate's assignment entries. :mad: Something about "server maintenance."