PDA

View Full Version : between me an rangerboy - OFFICIAL THREAD MISSION STATEMENT POST #253

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82

Ragnarok
02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Otherwise the plot points where you find out that Gandalf was actually Kaiser Soze and Gollum was Luke's father, sister and great uncle wouldn't make any sense.

THE_JOKER
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Guess I'm watching LOTR movies then!

I needed something new to watch anyways, I'm late to the party though right!.....by a few years maybe :lol:

The Stray Cat
02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Guess I'm watching LOTR movies then!

I needed something new to watch anyways, I'm late to the party though right!.....by a few years maybe :lol:

Just consider it preparation for the upcoming Hobbit movie this December!:lol:

Ragnarok
02-15-2012, 03:08 PM
That, and since they've been out for a while, the price on the DVDs should be quite a bit less than they used to be. Unless we're talking BluRay, and it's still $100US for the whole set. It shouldn't be a penny over $60. :nono:

THE_JOKER
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
£24.99 for the trilogy on BluRay here Rag. Think that's about $40 maybe.

THE_JOKER
02-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Just consider it preparation for the upcoming Hobbit movie this December!:lol:

I'll pick that one up 10 yrs later too :lol:

The Stray Cat
02-15-2012, 08:59 PM
I'll pick that one up 10 yrs later too :lol:

Well we wouldn't want you to break your rythm.

Ragnarok
02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
My guess is that's probably the theatrical version. :nice: It's about $40 here, which is weird because you can get the movies individually for less than $10 each. :blink: Amazon has the Extended trilogy for about $73. Still too as'pensive.

By the way, here's an in-depth commentary/insight post about TF4. I thought that a reboot made no sense. Sounds like it'll be a direct sequel to TF3, but they may not be bringing LaDouche n' company back. That's freakin' AWESOME news! :awesome:
http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-story-goals-for-transformers-4.html

Spoon37
02-16-2012, 02:26 AM
I think the cheapy LOTR set on Blu Ray is the regular one, not the extended stuff - its one of the things that put me off grabbing LOTR trilogy on Blu ray to start with, I have the DVD collectors editions for all 3 movies(got them as they came out), so why would I pay more for a shorter theatrical version? havent bothered to get the extended versions since then though lol :lol:

TF4 sounds good, I think the "reboot" simply refers to the arty-bullcrap phrases(reboot, new direction, re-imagining the concept etc) they use to say less rubbish, more action!

Anyhoo how is everyone this fine morning? :tea:

:banana:

THE_JOKER
02-16-2012, 03:17 AM
How much shorter are the theatrical ones?

:lol: @Ed.

HyperMark
02-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Anyhoo how is everyone this fine morning? :tea:

Morning? :huh:
You posted this at 5:26pm on Thursday where I am.

Ragnarok
02-16-2012, 07:24 AM
How much shorter are the theatrical ones?

:lol: @Ed.

Anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes, depending on which "episode." I think the last film had the most added to it for the Extended version. The thing is the extended material isn't fluff - a lot of it actually makes certain details more concise and fills in some holes. The Mouth of Sauron, Saruman's final appearance, and a TON of stuff regarding Boromir's and Faramir's relationship with their father and each other are completely gone in the theatrical versions.

The Stray Cat
02-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes, depending on which "episode." I think the last film had the most added to it for the Extended version. The thing is the extended material isn't fluff - a lot of it actually makes certain details more concise and fills in some holes. The Mouth of Sauron, Saruman's final appearance, and a TON of stuff regarding Boromir's and Faramir's relationship with their father and each other are completely gone in the theatrical versions.

I agree the extended material wasn't a George Lucas throw an extra couple aliens in and call it good. THe extra is more meat and potatoes for the story.

THE_JOKER
02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
I'll have another look around this weekend. :)

The Stray Cat
02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
I'll have another look around this weekend. :)

Just a word of warning so as you don't get discouraged, the first movie starts out a little slow but it is necessary to lay the foundation for the rest of the entire trilogy. I myself like the first one best out of three films. :chug:

THE_JOKER
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Nooooooooo......that's why I never finished TF3 lol.

Kidding, I'll watch them bud :)

Irrelevant vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNXLMBKL0EU&feature=related

Ragnarok
02-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Just a word of warning so as you don't get discouraged, the first movie starts out a little slow but it is necessary to lay the foundation for the rest of the entire trilogy. I myself like the first one best out of three films. :chug:

I sorta dissent from this a little: I see LotR as one volume, so I don't have favorites. But that's just me being a big geek. :nice:

If you look at the films in "the big picture," the pacing of the first bit of Fellowship isn't a problem. It gives you a bunch of backstory, the hows and whys of the One Ring, etc. It makes sure you understand why the Ring is such a big deal and the history around it.

The only thing about the films I didn't like was the design of Gothmog, the Mordor Orc general/captain who appears in Return of the King during the siege of Minas Tirith. He looked like a cross-between the Elephant Man and and a severe burn victim, with an attempt to swagger like John Wayne. I understand making someone visually distinct, but I didn't like the choice of character design.

Now, some of the Uruk-hai designs were pretty cool. Ugluk reminded me a lot of Kain from the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver games.

Ragnarok
02-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Oh, I just got word that a box that I built that was donated to an art auction for the local public TV station just brought $450 tonight. :blink: I expected it to go for about $70. :blink:

I have some pics, but they're all on my cel phone…I think. I might post 'em tomorrow night.

Spoon37
02-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Congratulations! - I know this didnt raise $450 specifically for you but it does show what people might pay for your work, and like I said earlier low prices on Etsy are generally a bad idea, so you want to price things higher than the bare minimum anyway after all Etsy is not a bargain basement, and definetly not ebay :lol:

I'm not sure if I'm charging enough for my stuff on Etsy but as I've sold one item and am happy with the amount made from that I guess they are fair? :lol: probably seem a bit steep for buyers in the USA though due to combined exchange rates and high shipping.

Anyway... yeah the LOTR stuff was a bit mixed, I liked some of the characters the realisation of Sauron(when he has a body in the prologue) and the Balrog of Morgoth were quite good some others perhaps not... Still I think as movies of books go they are quite good, it could have been a much shorter set of movies with most of the plot skipped, and I dont mean that in an ironic sense about skipping over the old forrest/barrow dens and missing out Tom Bombadil, when you read the books he doesnt really move that story along or play any part later on so I can see why he was missed out.

The only real gripes I had about the films was the timescale - in the books you get a real sense of the months/years it takes for Frodo to get out of the Shire(he's 33 when Bilbo leaves him the ring, but 50 when he leaves the shire) not to mention actually getting even as far as Rivendell - yet in the film it seems to happen over a couple of days.

Ragnarok
02-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Congratulations! - I know this didnt raise $450 specifically for you but it does show what people might pay for your work, and like I said earlier low prices on Etsy are generally a bad idea, so you want to price things higher than the bare minimum anyway after all Etsy is not a bargain basement, and definetly not ebay :lol:

That box is worth every bit of the $450, and wouldn't charge otherwise if I had sold it myself. It's just that I didn't expect anyone to appreciate its value at the auction. This is the fourth one I've done (under my dad's name), and the most any of them have brought is $125.

I'm not sure if I'm charging enough for my stuff on Etsy but as I've sold one item and am happy with the amount made from that I guess they are fair? :lol: probably seem a bit steep for buyers in the USA though due to combined exchange rates and high shipping.
Could be. I won't be able to start on my initial inventory until next month sometime, and even at that it will be during times where I have glue or finish drying on our "real" job that I'd be working on.

Anyway... yeah the LOTR stuff was a bit mixed, I liked some of the characters the realisation of Sauron(when he has a body in the prologue) and the Balrog of Morgoth were quite good some others perhaps not... Still I think as movies of books go they are quite good, it could have been a much shorter set of movies with most of the plot skipped, and I dont mean that in an ironic sense about skipping over the old forrest/barrow dens and missing out Tom Bombadil, when you read the books he doesnt really move that story along or play any part later on so I can see why he was missed out.

The only real gripes I had about the films was the timescale - in the books you get a real sense of the months/years it takes for Frodo to get out of the Shire(he's 33 when Bilbo leaves him the ring, but 50 when he leaves the shire) not to mention actually getting even as far as Rivendell - yet in the film it seems to happen over a couple of days.

The time thing doesn't bother me. It felt more real to me in that regard. The Ring is a big deal and it seems that having a 17 year period between Bilbo's leaving the Ring with Frodo and Frodo's departure from the Shire feels too…non-urgent. Like Bombadil, it undermines the importance and menace the Ring and Sauron have.

I liked the Balrog, too. I thought it was one of the most awesome monsters ever put on film. It was infinitely more awesomer (?) than that pathetically hacked together anthropomorphic lion with bat wings, a bull whip and fuzzy leg warmers as seen in Ralph Bakshi's LotR. That guy should have spent time in jail for that movie. :nono: The rotoscope technique for animation was sloppy and terrible looking, the music was stupid and annoying, Frodo and Merry/Pippin are flaming-gay, Samwise is a bumbling mental patient, Boromir's just a selfish douchebag wannabe-viking, Aragorn looked like He-Man before he bleached his hair but after a botched rhinoplasty procedure and was totally unconvincing as a hero/would-be king, Gimli's character was completely nonexistent (I had a hard time distinguishing who was Gimli and who was Boromir), Gandalf was an unlikable old coot with a big stick (and his reveal after his resurrection as G the White was MONUMENTALLY stupid! - he was like some old codger trying to find his dentures in the forest), Galadriel was uninteresting and half-dismissed the Ring as something that had no power over her (also the Lorien elves' song sounded like some halfassed attempt at a Peanuts characters' Christmas carol), Celeborn's name is mispronounced (Seleborn? - there ARE resources that clarify all of this Tolkien stuff, Ralph), Grima looked like Kip Dynamite, the women all had their eyes on the sides of their heads (did Bakshi think this was sexy?), and MOST of the movie they FREAKIN' call Saruman ARUMAN! WTF?!?!?!?!! Did the chain-smoking baboons in the script department have a fight with the letter "S" and refuse to use it? :mad: The only thing that was semi-okay was Smeagol.

Rankin/Bass' bucktoothed pudgle Hobbits, dino-man lookalike Gollum, and simplified-for-TV caliber plots for The Hobbit and Return of the King were 100X better than Bakshi's kack-handed, ham-fisted, possibly drug-induced effort.

I should add that I also didn't like the cave troll's design in the real LotR. He looked like someone with chromosomal damage. I thought they could have done better there. But overall, it's by far and away my favorite fiction films.

Spoon37
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Well its kinda the whole thing when they get to Rivendell or when Gandalf meets Saruman and the gist of conversation is that it is already too late... seems to have a different meaning when you've shot out the shire as fast as poss compared to spending years dawdling about getting started, I dont know if its just me but that seemed to have more of an impact in the books.

I fortunately havent seen Ralph Bakshi's LOTR... by the sound of it I havent missed much :lolbeat:

Ragnarok
02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
WATCH IT! Seriously. You'll appreciate Jackson's movies a lot more. :lol: It ends at the battle of Helm's Deep. :huh: What's kind of funny is that it appeared that Rankin/Bass were tired of waiting for the other shoe to fall to finish the story, so they made Return of the King themselves. In fact, watch it too. The characters were considerably more likable (although Aragorn's story is cut to a third-rate background plot point) and the voice actors' efforts were far, far better than Bakshi's troupe. That's weird 'cause Bakshi had John Hurt in that group. Must've been that signature p¡sspoor direction of Bakshi's.

Ragnarok
02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Well I'll be danged. Apple ISN'T making the AppStore the only way to purchase programs in OS 10.8 (which will be out this summer - 10.7 must've sucked so hard that they rushed a redo). Maybe they're going to wait until OS XI?

With Mountain Lion set to default, developers can distribute software without using the App Store. That’s really all you need to know.
Source: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/02/what-mountain-lion-will-probably-mean-to-you-as-pro-creative-users/

I'm printing off the article so's I can read it at work.

The Stray Cat
02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Well, one of my favorite topics and I've missed most of it the conversation. I agree with Spoon that the books taking the 17 yr time for Frodo to prepare for leaving has an excellent dramatic effect in the books. However I don't think it would've translated properly in the movie any way it was done. There were so many people who went to see the LOTR movies who had no idea who Tolkien or how magical his middle Earth was that they wouldn't have understood that Hobbits aren't supposed to be adventurous. Now had the Hobbit been done before it might have been different. I like a lot of the character design but some was a little odd, but the Balrog was way awesome and I would've liked the troll to be more like the trolls in the Rankin and Bass' Hobbit cartoon.

Speaking of the Hobbit cartoon by Rankin and Bass, I absolutely loved it, the following two cartoons were ok but nothing like the original. Had it not been for that cartoon I probably wouldn't have read the Hobbit when I was 7 yrs old and wouldn't have fallen in love with the entire Middle Earth.

THE_JOKER
02-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Think I found the version of LOTR I need today. I was out with my nephew Hannibal Lecter (He likes biting people).

It said at the top "Extended Edition" and had a rather fetching image of a gold ring on the front.

Will pick it up next week :)

The Stray Cat
02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
@Joker, that'd be the one ya want Mate!

Ragnarok
02-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Here's what the boxed sets look like:

BluRay Theatrical:

BluRay Extended, no doubt the one you saw. Definitely the one to get. Dunno why anyone would get the others:

:chug:

Looks like I actually have two items in the KAKM Art Auction this year. :huh:

Here's the first one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alaskapublic/6768505437/in/set-72157629047976333

Oddly enough the terrible pics that I took with my phone show more detail and the character of the box. The one the TV station took give almost gives me vertigo. :crazy:

And the second:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alaskapublic/6768583121/in/set-72157629048289059
Of course, the carving/painting isn't mine, but the box is. I posted pics of it about this time last year here (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=802009&postcount=12257) and here (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=802011&postcount=12258). :) I have another one that I'll complete by noon tomorrow. Would have been today, but I had a catastrophic problem during hinge installation. Gonna look a little different than this, too. All fingerjoints instead of the spline setup of this one. I actually prefer last year's box over the one I'm about to complete.

THE_JOKER
02-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Yeah the second pic down was the one Rag :)

An those designs on the boxes are fantastic! very nice boxes too Rag!.

You know who did the designs?

Spoon37
02-18-2012, 03:58 AM
Boxes look awesome Rag :chug: When you come to sell these as a side business will they be plain or carved/painted like these ones pictured?

I'll see if I can check out these other LOTR versions, but as I still need to get round to picking up a copy of 'The Silmarillion' I doubt it will happen overnight(I have read Children of Hurin, the Hobbit and the Three LOTR titles so its the only one I miss and I'm sure would explain some of the gaps in Children of Hurin) :lol:

BADMUTHATrUCKER
02-18-2012, 05:22 AM
They're damned fine work.

The Stray Cat
02-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Those are some really nice boxes Rag, I'd love to have me one of those!

Ragnarok
02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Yeah the second pic down was the one Rag :) I'm hoping I can get it myself next payday. :)

An those designs on the boxes are fantastic! very nice boxes too Rag!.

You know who did the designs?
Thanks. The large "Iditarod" box (the one w/ the carvings/painting) is by the artist I sold the box to. Her name is on the link I posted. ;) BP bought the box from her and they're the ones donating it. The image on the inside of the Antique Heart Pine box is one I created and had laser-etched. All of that series of boxes has that burned into the underside of the lid.

Boxes look awesome Rag :chug: When you come to sell these as a side business will they be plain or carved/painted like these ones pictured? I don't carve, so, no. My hope is to sell boxes in the ranges of $250 to $500. I start carving/painting them and that would quadruple to septuple the prices. It's not my style anyway. I prefer the purity of an unembellished design.

I'll see if I can check out these other LOTR versions, but as I still need to get round to picking up a copy of 'The Silmarillion' I doubt it will happen overnight(I have read Children of Hurin, the Hobbit and the Three LOTR titles so its the only one I miss and I'm sure would explain some of the gaps in Children of Hurin) :lol:

The Children of Hurin - was that Tolkien's "last" book? There was one sort of assembled by his son based on old manuscripts and drafts. The story I'm thinking of was a tragedy.

They're damned fine work.
Thank you kindly. :chug:

Those are some really nice boxes Rag, I'd love to have me one of those!
Hopefully by late March I'll have my little "store front" up and ready and you'd be able to if you were so inclined. :D

Ragnarok
02-18-2012, 09:37 AM
That reminds me. I have some AK Spruce boxes that I completed in December for a special project. I shared them with the admins/mods, but not here. I'll post those up tonight for the heck of it.

The Stray Cat
02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
@Rag yes the Children of Hurin was completed by Christopher Tolkien. It was basically an expansion on the chapter or two from the Silmarillion and yea it was a serious tragedy but never the less a very deep story that demonstrates how deeply Tolkien's love and commitment went for Middle Earth.

THE_JOKER
02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
@Rag, Seems I had another noob moment lol. I read the donated by, made by (yourself) ect......but never read the LARGE PRINT item title, that indeed states "Rose Albert" :facepalm:

Opticians time me thinks.

FunkyHunk
02-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Oh MAN the week I've had.
I've had to deal with the fact that I've been unemployed since late july 2011, and my Fiancèe has reminded me EVERY week since that date.
I've sent out like 45 job applications since that date, but alot of negative replys has kept me on the down low on all the aspects of getting a new job.

To top it all my grandfather died this monday, so I've been keeping my father together for this last week with all the arrangements to be done.

When my grandmother died almost exactly a month after my house burned down November two years ago my dad fell a part.
I had to pick up the pieces of him that time.

It's a bit of strange really, having to watch the person you've always regarded as a rock in your life to be nothing more than a human in his responses and so forth.

The day my father dies is going to be a seriously heavy day for me to handle, since my dad has been a person for me to rely on, a person for me to talk to when things get rough, to talk to when things get out of hand.

I bet that's how my father feels when his father died this monday.
My grandfather was always the person that set himself aside before the needs of others in so many tales I've heard from his tales as a young man in the years after the great war.

It's just so strange having your father return to the human he's always been contreary to the one he always worked so hard to conceal to me.

I'm not sure how to feel now. I'm in a bit of "between a rock and a hard place" right now.
There's not much I can do now except for being the best son I can be, and help him as much as I can.
I rue the day when the the time comes and I can do the same for him that he did for his father.

In the mean time listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R_tIUyvsRc

The next song I was going to feature was a song not found on youtube, by a band called The Brandos called trial by fire. I'll make a Video of it on a later date.
The whole experience of this last week has made me grow up in more ways than I could imagine.
Strange.

FunkyHunk
02-19-2012, 12:03 AM
I found it, some how it reminds me of the legacy I carry after my dad and what he has to carry after his dad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3K3I1YE8Y

Awesome group, and an awesome song. too bad the full version isn't featured.

Spoon37
02-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Hmm thats sad news FH, hang in there!

I've lost a few family members including both of my grandfathers, my father however is alive and kicking and as you say something of a rock in my life - not sure what I'd feel as and when he dies but I dont have a son to support me so I guess your father is lucky in that sense :nice:

Great songs by the way for different reasons :chug:

I dont know exactly why, but when my mother died I found some of Metallica's songs comforting particularly "The thing that should not be" off the Album 'Master of Puppets'. That loss hit me pretty hard but the music helped a bit.

:tea:

THE_JOKER
02-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Todays Birthday:

W.C.Machine, age-110.....wow!.

Wonder what he got for his birthday?......life support machine maybe?.....dustpan and brush?.

Ian
02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear that Hunky, deaths in a family are always hard. I find thinking about the good times, or even making jokes help. I know it sounds insensitive, but a good joke about what they were like, or something they did always makes me smile when i remember passed family members.

Todays Birthday:

W.C.Machine, age-110.....wow!.

Wonder what he got for his birthday?......life support machine maybe?.....dustpan and brush?.

Bed pan for when he bends to use the dustpan and brush and his arse falls out under the strain.

THE_JOKER
02-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Damn I done it again for about the umpteenth time this month.

I apologise Funky, I never even read any posts in here today I just posted that Birthday joke thing.

If I had known you recently lost a Grandfather I would never have done such a thing, truly sorry about that mate.

The Stray Cat
02-20-2012, 09:58 AM

I apologise Funky, I never even read any posts in here today I just posted that Birthday joke thing.

If I had known you recently lost a Grandfather I would never have done such a thing, truly sorry about that mate.

Don't worry Joker, I'm sure Funky knows it is not any means of disrespect to him or his loss! It's just the nature of this awesome thread.

@Funky, definitely sorry for your loss mate, I lost both my Grandfather and Grandmother within a week two Christmases ago so I respect your feelings, especially about your own Dad. My Dad died when I was young, but I saw my uncles, who I looked at like oak trees, break down when my grandparents passed. I hope the rest of your year looks up for ya Mate! :chug:

FunkyHunk
02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Sorry to hear that Hunky, deaths in a family are always hard. I find thinking about the good times, or even making jokes help. I know it sounds insensitive, but a good joke about what they were like, or something they did always makes me smile when i remember passed family members.

Yeah I know, humour is a good way to deal with stuff like this.

No worries mate, No offence taken. We've been prepared for his possible passing now for well over two years with him being at a home seriously demented for the last four years or so.

Don't worry Joker, I'm sure Funky knows it is not any means of disrespect to him or his loss! It's just the nature of this awesome thread.

@Funky, definitely sorry for your loss mate, I lost both my Grandfather and Grandmother within a week two Christmases ago so I respect your feelings, especially about your own Dad. My Dad died when I was young, but I saw my uncles, who I looked at like oak trees, break down when my grandparents passed. I hope the rest of your year looks up for ya Mate! :chug:

Yeah, I'm just glad the family has each other in times like this, In a way I'm lucky, I got to keep my grandparents on my fathers side until I was almost 30, my grandmother died suddenly about a month after the house burned down, and now he is gone.

My grandfather on my mothers side died in 1978 three years before I was born, and my grandmother died when I was 11 years old.

So I'm lucky to keep them this long and I am grateful for all the good times we had together. I know he's in a better place now, and that is good.

Tomorrow is the funeral, Its going to be good to get some closure.

spankrjs
02-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Sorry for your loss Funky:(

I had a pretty good weekend. I did a little trading, and I am now the owner of a NIB Blazing Blazer:nice: Will post some pictures later on^_^

:bacondance::bacondance::bacondance::bacondance:

THE_JOKER
02-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Glad I didn't offend Funky, and sorry for your loss.

Ragnarok
02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Funky, this is very sad to read, and I'm not sure what else to really say. :(

The Stray Cat
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
How is everyone doing this fine Tuesday? I have 6 days left until I am officially graduated with my BBA and this week I have more homework to do than I believe I have time for!:lol: Oh well I think it just might be short timers disease blurring vision, I am so ready to be doen with school.

2k2cse
02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
That's awesome Ed! Well, the graduating soon anyways. Tons of homework always sucks :lolbeat: I wish I could say that I'd be done soon, but I still have 3 more years <_<

Spoon37
02-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Good news Ed - good luck with the mountain of homework though! :lol:

I know with the academic courses I've done mainly they dont keep you working right till the very end, usually its kinda coursework -> "study leave" during which there are exams and then last exam means you are done till results/graduation time.

The Stray Cat
02-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys, I'm taking accelerated courses so they pack a full semester of college into seven weeks so we have piles of work from day one until the end. Usually you take two courses every 7 weeks but I wanted to finish early so since last August I've been taking 3 courses per 7 week period. Needless to say I'm burnt out! Now that I have only a few days left its hard to stay focused, its hard anyway with ADD, but I just want to be done!

THE_JOKER
02-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Will all be worth it in the end Ed.

Personally I'm too cool for school.......or too stupid, one of them.

The Stray Cat
02-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Will all be worth it in the end Ed.

Personally I'm too cool for school.......or too stupid, one of them.

All I can say Mate is dang well better be worth it when it's all done!:chug:

THE_JOKER
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
It will be Ed, this time next year you'll be a millionaire. An buying me a Re-Release Bruiser *cough*.

The Stray Cat
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
It will be Ed, this time next year you'll be a millionaire. An buying me a Re-Release Bruiser *cough*.

Joker by this time next year if I'm even a quarter way of being a millionaire I'll buy you a re-re bruiser!:chug:

THE_JOKER
02-22-2012, 04:31 PM
I'll hold you to that! :lol:

The Stray Cat
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I'll hold you to that! :lol:

I'm sure you have already printed it off and sealed it in a waterproof envelope and hid it in your safe!:lol:

THE_JOKER
02-23-2012, 03:45 AM
My lawyer has a copy :)

lol.

@Rag....... "Koyaanisqatsi" ?.....

This?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi

Spoon37
02-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Good morning all ^_^

not really much else to say... gonna go have breakfast and wake up a bit :lolbeat:

HyperMark
02-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Good evening, I just finished my dinner.
I might play Skyrim for a couple of hours now. :chug:

THE_JOKER
02-23-2012, 04:22 AM
Good morning all ^_^

not really much else to say... gonna go have breakfast and wake up a bit :lolbeat:

Make that 2 please :)

Good evening, I just finished my dinner.
I might play Skyrim for a couple of hours now. :chug:

Most dangerous thing in "Skyrim" are the arrow to knee jokes.

Coolest thing in Skyrim is Lycanthropy :D

HyperMark
02-23-2012, 06:13 AM
The only Werewolf i've seen so far was dead in a cage.:nice:
But I did get turned into a Vampire a few days ago. :(
My blood boiled when in the sun.

I'm all better now. <_<

Ragnarok
02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
@Rag....... "Koyaanisqatsi" ?.....

This?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi
Sorta. I'm living the meaning of the word (the "turmoil/out of balance" part, not the "moral corruption"). Life isn't too good right now. :(

But I did get turned into a Vampire a few days ago. :(
My blood boiled when in the sun.

I'm all better now. <_<
Yeah, a little naproxen sodium, a couple days rest, and that usually clears up.

THE_JOKER
02-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Seen a dead one?....I WAS one :lol:

Sucks it's not permanent though, I felt like Van Helsing running around killing villagers.

Sorta. I'm living the meaning of the word (the "turmoil/out of balance" part, not the "moral corruption"). Life isn't too good right now. :(

Sorry to hear that Rag!. :(

HyperMark
02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Gotta love POETS day(P*** Off Early Tomorrows Saturday). :nice:
Just after 1:30 in the arvo, I'm home already and no more work till Monday. :chug:
Plus on Sunday we have our first comp round for the year.
:bacondance:

BADMUTHATrUCKER
02-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Good luck with that, Mark

HyperMark
02-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks, hopefully I can repeat last years performance and win the scale class for the year.
But I don't think I'll be that lucky, their are a few more guys competing this year.

Ragnarok
02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Good luck on all of that, Mark. :chug:

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to get Puss in Boots on DVD or BR today or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know one way or the other.

The Stray Cat
02-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Puss in Boots was a good flick, Definitely the typical Shrek flare to it.

THE_JOKER
02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Puss in boots still in cinemas here......UK suuuuuuuucks.

Ragnarok
02-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Speaking of theaters, what fart huffing malcontent stole my pic? Collider.com via Screenrant just posted a picture that's supposed to be a "new look at The Hulk," and what's fascinating :rolleyes: is that it's the exact same image I posted up here the night the trailer went live. The only alteration is the size: 800 x 448 for mine, 600 x 324 for theirs. Crop off the little black lines at the top/bottom of mine, scale it to 75% and you have their result.

Mine:
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80609&d=1328510955

Theirs:
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/avengers-hulk-600x324.jpg

You can see the same artifacts appearing in the frame, ie. the little "L" shaped doodad in the upper left, never mind a thousand other things that prove it's the same frame. Cute. I suppose that it just happened that someone arrived at the precise, exact SAME FRAME by coincidence? Mine was a screencap from a player window on my 'puter. I didn't download the image from anywhere. Where da hell is my attorney?!?

:rolleyes: x100

Just thought that my last post before 10K should be a teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling rant/complaint over something very trival. :lolbeat:

Spoon37
02-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Zomg thiefs!! :shoot:

its not all that suprising, not very professional of them though :poke:

Although wait...does this mean we are mainstream now? :blink:

THE_JOKER
02-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Better put my best hat on...

Ragnarok
02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Spoon, my post was only semi-serious. :lol: Actually, I did notice one difference: look at Hulk's skin. The definition is a lot better in their pic compared to my screen cap. Scale mine down to the same as theirs and it doesn't get that much more defined than it is now. I'm guessing it really is a coincidence. :thinking:

Ragnarok
02-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Picked up PiB on video today. Watched it, but I'll report in tomorrow night. Certainly different than what I was expecting, with a particular twist I actually saw coming shortly before it was made obvious to the audience BUT it was one that actually went beyond where I thought it would end, so it was still a bit of a surprise. :nice:

Also, I'm taking John Carter (of Mars) off my "Wanna See" list for this year. Watched a recent trailer and the protagonist is doing all of this Superman jumping/flying crap that gives me the impression that, no matter how many countless millions of dollars the Rabid Mouse is burning trying to convince me otherwise, it's not to be taken seriously.

FunkyHunk
02-26-2012, 01:01 AM
I just got home from a party having walked the last 5 km's on my own because I'm too cheap to take a cab.
Yes, It's 08:36 here, but that's how I roll :p

On the way home I had a few thoughts about what music I heard this evening, mostly by my own nagging, because the stuff that young people play these days does hardly qualify as music.

I know a lot of people that read this thread on a daily basis will maybe disagree with me on this but here is the most memorable tracks from tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqV83qvZbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9gan2c0nQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPRXewsPlP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0ZfftLaXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9oDQtzVEzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGJWJGgUCLA

[ lyrics ]
how come the stars shine so bright
here in this night it will not end
there's a boy and a girl
who know all the wrong words

and you and I need no more
it's so good to be alone with you
it's so good to be open eyed
they won't know us anymore when we
once we step back in to
this old house

in this old house
where every door is open
well listen real close
this old house

in this old house
we know there's more to this than there
the nation of the two
in this old house

this old house is where we
consider it gone and the same
now there were days when we would thought
those guiding stars would shine no more

oh it's all right when we
we just don't talk it over
state of rest and the state in despair

it's so good to be alone with you
it's so good to be open eyed
and they won't know us any more
once we step back into
oh this old house

in this old house
where every door is open
we'll take it real slow
in this old house

in this old house
never leave
this old house

oh in this old house
never leave
this old house

oh in this old house this old
we'll never leave
this old house

I get tears in the corner of my eye when I hear this song.
It always reminded me of the old house I had that burned down.

This one brings a tear to my eyes for reasons unknown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWlTlJa3QU

In my defence for writing this stupid and overly elaborate post is that I am drunk. But deal with it.
This is some good music, and you guys deserve to hear it.
ttylkk?

THE_JOKER
02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Three men: an American, a Japanese and an Irishman were sitting naked in the sauna. Suddenly there was a beeping sound. The American pressed his forearm and the beep stopped. The others looked at him questioningly. "That was my pager," he said. "I have a microchip under the skin of my arm."

A few minutes later a phone rang. The Japanese fellow lifted his palm to his ear. When he finished he explained, "That was my mobile phone I have a microchip in my hand."

Paddy felt decidedly low-tech. So as not to be outdone, he decided he had to do something just as impressive. He stepped out of the sauna and went to toilet. He returns with a piece of toilet paper hanging from his arse.

The others raised their eyebrows. "Will you look at that" says Paddy, "I'm getting a fax."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ireland's worst air disaster occurred early this morning when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery.

Irish search and rescue workers have recovered 1826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five Scotsmen in an Audi Quattro arrived at an Irish border checkpoint. Paddy the officer stops them and tells them: "It is illegal to put 5 people in a Quattro, Quattro means four."

"Quattro is just the name of the automobile," the Scotsmen retorts in disbelief. "Look at the papers: this car is designed to carry five persons."

"You can not pull that one on me," replies Paddy "Quattro means four. You have five people in your car and you are therefore breaking the law."

The Scotsmen replies angrily, "You idiot! Call your supervisor over. I want to speak to someone with more intelligence!"

"Sorry," responds Paddy, "Murphy is busy with 2 guys in a Fiat Uno."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Englishman stops Paddy for directions... "Excuse me pal, what's the quickest way to Dublin?"

Paddy says "Are you on foot or in the car?"

The Englishman says "In the car."

Paddy replies "That's the quickest!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

These workmen are installing bollards to stop nurses from parking on the pavement outside the Royal Hospital in Belfast .

They are cleaning up at the end of the day.

How long do you think it will be before they realise that they can't go home?

http://www.paddyjokes.com/uploads/images/irish-workmen.jpg

I think myself the van will fit out the gap in the bottom 2 bollards?.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Irish Paramedics:

http://www.paddyjokes.com/uploads/images/irish-paramedics.jpg

(dummy btw not real)

FunkyHunk
02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
What's the difference between a pregnant lady and a lightbulb?

You can unscrew a lightbulb.

FunkyHunk
02-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Cool Picture gallery taken on the set of the new Superman Movie:

New Superman Movie (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/82271948/)

THE_JOKER
02-28-2012, 05:45 PM
The resemblance to the late Christopher Reeves is uncanny!.

Specifically this one:

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/712546/82271959.jpg

FunkyHunk
02-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, i gotta agree with you on that one, I guess they wanted to go back to the roots for that old school feel :p
This guy's more buff than Christopher Reeve ever was though.

sickcivic95
02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Looks very very close. I actually had to do a double take to be sure I was not losing my mind.

--Dan

Ragnarok
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Not to distract too much, here's a ton of images from The Avengers. Just posting the link because that's all I feel like doing.

http://collider.com/the-avengers-movie-images-hulk-loki/148965/

Good news is it has some nice pics of Scarlett. Bad news is that Hulk DOES have the cow-catcher eyebrows after all, and in one pic he's downright hideous. :nono: They just need to dial it back a little and it'd still be alright. Whatever.

EDIT: Gonna post the image of the Hulk anyway. Deeply disappointed. In other views, he looks okay, but this one is particularly awful.
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Hulk-The-Avengers-movie-image-2-600x328.jpg

The Stray Cat
02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't know Rag it looks like it actually may be adamn good flick. The Hulk in that "hideous" pic has a lot of Mark Ruffalo look to him so I think itmay be okay.

Ragnarok
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM
The rest of the images are fine, but there are a couple of screencaps of him that don't look correct from a morphological perspective. The physique as far as I'm concerned, is perfect. But the face, it's more than just doing a "Hulkified" Ruffalo - there's some kind of overemphasis on the deformation of his forehead and the thing about the open mouth that I can't quite describe. The image of him head-on is fine, but the profile…something doesn't look correct with the placement of the jaw's hinge…or something. I can't quite figure it out, but something is definitely amiss.

I realize it sounds like I'm complaining for the sake of complaining, but I'm not. :( I'm not going to hate the movie before I see it due to the aspect of one character's design. I'll wait until I see it and then hate it. :lol:

The Stray Cat
03-02-2012, 07:06 AM
@Rag, I don't know I think in motion and with the rest it might not be too bad, but I understand what you're saying. It's like when you do a live stage performance and over act to emphasize some point, they are over enlarging his brow to give him more of a monster, neanderthal look!:lol:

Ragnarok
03-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I've been in a very bad place the last month, so I'm sorry for picking on something as meaningless as what the Hulk looks like in a movie. :p You're right, Ed, and it's the same reason that they put forehead, nose and upper teeth appliances on Lou for the original TV show: Kenneth Johnson's version of the Hulk's appearance was meant to take Banner to some primordial, primitive state that was locked away inside him. Ultimately I guess this is going the same direction, so I should just stop complaining - which I will. :lol: As long as he's not the cannibal rapist that he is in Marvel's Ultimates version of him, I shouldn't complain at all.

I'm prepping commentaries for two movies - Puss in Boots and Real Steel. I refrain from calling them reviews because that's really not what they are. :p

Ragnarok
03-02-2012, 07:53 PM
By the way, new Avengers trailer. Haven't watched it yet, still downloading it. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY9DnBNJFTI

EDIT: Just watched it…WHOA, MAMA!!! :eager:

The Stray Cat
03-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Yep this movie I think is going to kick some butt. I'm just hoping they don't throw in too much "campy" humor in between the action. I'm all for a quirky little back and forth between characters or a funny little quote but not overdone.

Ragnarok
03-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I agree. What I look forward to is the stuff in that trailer that suggests that it's not an amicable alliance within the Avengers. :blink: The little things like what looks like Iron Man vs. Thor vs. Cap, and then Banner's comment, "We're not a team - we're a time bomb," all foreshadows a lot of potential for interesting storyline development outside of the Loki + Skrulls (or whatever they are) invasion force.

Another thing that's a possible cool thing is Loki himself. Except at the very end of Thor where he had one foot in the cliche supervillain trap (like his "why not?" argument when he was in the process of fragging the Jotun homeworld), he was a different kind bad guy, or at least atypical for the genre. He has the potential to be one of the more compelling and cooler badass supervillains in modern cinema.

Ragnarok
03-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Kinda-sorta review for Puss in Boots.

For those that haven't seen it, do not expect it to be simply a Puss-centered variation of Shrek. If it weren't for the fact that Puss was in three of the four Shrek movies, you wouldn't even know there was any kind of relationship between the two. But never mind that, here's my summary.

What Sucked:
Some of the humor was pretty adult. For some this isn't a big deal, but for me it's serious. The most overt jokes (and there are others) being a visual gag with Puss' netherregion barely missing the dangerous end of a spire on a rooftop in slowmotion, and then a comment from Humpty Dumpty about prison rape that we're supposed to find funny. There's nothing funny about rape in any form. I know most parents are going to simply say that it'll just go over the kids' heads, and for younger viewers it likely will, but "adultifying" family films is not an advancement in culture. It's quite the opposite.
Certain aspects of the story tend to drag on a bit. I thought some of the scenes in the giant's castle were a little too slow. Even though it had the best musical cue, I also felt that the dance fight sequence was superfluous.
Jack and Jill are introduced as the antagonists at the beginning, and they're kinda funny (quirky would be a better description, ie. their arguing about starting a family was a little…weird) but they're pretty empty when compared to the other villains in the Shrek-iverse Farquad, the Fairy Godmother, Prince Charming and Frumpypigskin. That sorta gets settled later on, but that's all I'll say to prevent any spoilers.

What Rocked:
Visuals were incredible. Lighting, textures, hair, fluid and fire simulations - it's jaw-dropping. The environments, particularly the town of San Ricardo, have a painterly look to them that's just awesome. I still think PDI is better than Pixar. Character designs were also pretty good. I appreciate that the cats aren't anthropomorphic like they would have been had this been a Disney or Bluth film. They look and move like cats. Kitty Softpaws doesn't have some hourglass, voluptuous figure. She's built like a cat, which keeps the realism (what little of it there is :lol:) grounded well.
Music. I'm not familiar with the composer, Henry Jackman, but the featured flamenco guitar duo of Rodrigo y Gabriela (also featured in Pirates 4) were awesome! Their involvement keeps the score from falling into the spaghetti western stereotype created by Ennio Morricone.
Overall, the story is pretty good, too. It's not a fan service prequel to the Shrek franchise at all. Puss' backstory as an orphan and meeting/teaming up with Humpty Dumpty was kind of interesting. Humpty's a genius with a skewed set of priorities that lead him to a life of crime. An accident that leads to Puss' act of heroism drives a wedge between Puss and Humpty akin to sibling rivalry. There's a plot twist in there that's quite interesting. I saw it coming, but my expectation wasn't to the degree it actually took, so it was still a surprise.
Even though I pointed out that Jack and Jill come off as lacking much substance, overall the general roster of characters is pretty good.

Interesting Stuff:
The level of pop-culture jokes and puns are pretty much nonexistent, and this lends a lot to that "not quite fitting in" with the Shrek movies sentiment I mentioned earlier. By the time Shrek 3 rolled around, that formula really got seriously old, so I definitely don't see this as a minus.
The last ten minutes is essentially a Godzilla movie. :huh: (The pedants will say Gorgo, but Gorgo was a HUGE ripoff of Godzilla set in England with a big dollop of Dumbo thrown in.)
Cinematically and editing-wise, much of the movie feels like a spaghetti western. Some of that editing style actually is a hinderance, but even at its worst it will never reach the nausea-inducing mess of the "comic book-come-to-life" idiocy of the first Hulk movie. That was the pinnacle of horrible movie editing.
Executive Producer Guillermo del Toro voices a pretty important character. He's sort of Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane to Puss' Dukes of Hazard.

I give it Three Bacons and a Banana out of Five. If it weren't for the mature humor, I would have given it an even Four Bacons. And it's for that reason I'd suggest that parents give it a rent and watch it themselves before letting the kids see it too.

:bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :banana:

EDIT: I'll do my Real Steel comments tonight.

Ragnarok
03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Now the same for Real Steel.

This movie ultimately amounted to an amalgam of Sylvester Stallone's Over the Top (from here OTT) plus his entire Rocky series crammed into a near-future setting. I hope he got a huge payment from Dreamworks 'cause there isn't anything in this movie that's original.

What Sucked:
Where to begin? Lack of originality, for one. If I went into this with any depth it would be a 10,000 word essay that I don't want to write and no one else would want to read, so I'll be as brief as I can. Take OTT, change out arm wrestling with Rocky's fighting career, replace boxers with remotely-controlled robots, and then drain any bit of soul or inspiration out of Sly's movies and you have Real Steel. I could identify an aspect of every Rocky movie in this. I should also note that the relationship between the kid and his 'bot is pretty similar to Iron Giant. If there's to be a sequel (PLEASE NO!) the most logical step would be a groan-inducing development of self-awareness a la Johnny Five in the kid's robot.
The perpetuation of the idea that children are more intelligent than their parents and are justified in treating them like filth. This is definitely a theme in OTT, but the kid in that movie eventually gets humbled a bit, but the shrieking bratling in this film simply gets worse. I realize this is a calculated effort on the part of the producers and director (what a hack!) to pander to the demographic of spoiled entitlement-minded little twerps from the ages of 8 to 12 that think that they can get everything they want whenever they want without any kind of effort or responsibility on their part. Everything they want is OWED to them, and this kid never learns the lesson that life requires effort and hard work. Jackman shows growth and positive change, whereas the kid does not and is rewarded for it.
Unlikeable characters. Jackman's character is actually pathetic, so much so that finding any sympathy is difficult for the first hour of the film. Once he and his kid start getting along and they share a common goal, he's far more redeemable. The actor that plays his kid is outright loathsome. Evangeline Lilly is the only remotely likable person in the film.
Horrible songs and a completely unmemorable score courtesy Danny Elfman. The next movie I watch that tries to ramrod Eminem or The Beastie Boys into my ears with such bombastic obnoxiousness will meet the business end of my shredder. The opening track was the only highlight.

What Rocked:
Robot designs were pretty cool.
From an artistic standpoint, there were a lot of interesting shots and camera angles during the more subtle points in the film.
The movie takes place in 2020, and with the exception of the robots and other "everyday" electronics (phones, computers, etc.) you wouldn't tell that this was to be in any other time but the present. There wasn't a lot of techporn to speak of.

I give it Two Bacons out of Five. I wanted to like this movie, but I couldn't. I really like Hugh Jackman's acting, but his efforts here were wasted.

:bacondance: :bacondance:

The Stray Cat
03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Rag, first i agree completely with everything you said about Puss, the humor doesn't bother me personally as much as you but I certainly don't need it in my kids' movies. As you said though this is definitely a stand alone movie and not at all tied to shrek other than having magical characters.

Real Steel I wont see, I could tell from the beginning it was Rocky in robot form, mixed with a few other "fallen" father/hero figure movies.

Ragnarok
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
What's really bad about RS is that it could have still been a great movie - unoriginality and all - had they fixed the freaking kid. I hated him at the beginning and hated him at the end. He's a cocky, self-important little brat. That's not good filmmaking.

The Stray Cat
03-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Well to continue with the topic from last night of movies, I took the kids to see The Lorax yesterday. In all it was good film, had a couple good musical numbers, some good funnies, without a lot of inuendos, I think I counted only one adult humor quote and it was pretty insignificant.

The worst parts of the film:
Didn't stay true at all to the book
The animal characters were too humanized (again not like the book).

The best parts:
Well developed characters, especially Lorax and the Onceler
Excellent animation, same people who did discpicable me
I think the sound track was good
Good humor, directed towards kids, not filled with adult humor

Ragnarok
03-05-2012, 08:26 AM
It's interesting that not one Seuss adaptation has ever stayed true to the books except Chuck Jones' Grinch - it's also the only one I'll ever watch. :lol: Mike Meyers as The Cat in the Hat looked disturbingly too much like Michael Jackson. http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-argh.gif

The Stray Cat
03-05-2012, 09:36 AM
The grinch with Jim Carrey I like, it has some parts of the book and it actually just further developed the storyline of the book, the Lorax really went off inits own direction. I have all of the Dr. Seuss carttons, and they all stay pretty fair with the book, of course they were also made years ago and some were doen when Seuss was still alive.

THe Cat in the Hat movie I cannot stand, way too many adult inuendos and as you said the mike meyers is disturbingly odd as the cat.

It's interesting that not one Seuss adaptation has ever stayed true to the books except Chuck Jones' Grinch - it's also the only one I'll ever watch. :lol: Mike Meyers as The Cat in the Hat looked disturbingly too much like Michael Jackson. http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-argh.gif

Ian
03-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I say old chaps, i hate to butt in here.

I'd just like to say congratulations to Ed for finishing his 4 years at collage! I don't drink but felt it warranted a toast.....

I don't know what happened to this pic, but i may have been tangoed.

Well Ed.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1470.jpg

Congrats mate.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1468.jpg

On a side note, does anyone have any ores i could borrow fairly quick before my shed floats off?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1473.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1474.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1475.jpg

tempra007
03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I say old chaps, i hate to butt in here.

I'd just like to say congratulations to Ed for finishing his 4 years at collage! I don't drink but felt it warranted a toast.....

I don't know what happened to this pic, but i may have been tangoed.

Well Ed.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1470.jpg

Congrats mate.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1468.jpg

On a side note, does anyone have any ores i could borrow fairly quick before my shed floats off?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1474.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/Iansvecs/100_1475.jpg

with your wood working skills can't you make some?

THE_JOKER
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I thought he was after "Oreo" biscuits then for some reason.

Congrats Ed! :chug:

I need to catch up in here....aint read it for a bit.

The Stray Cat
03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Ian, thanks Mate that looks ice cold and golden delicious! I appreciate it.

Joker thanks to you to mate!

On a similar Note I got my final grades yesterday and my over all GPA.

My 3 grades 98, 97, 90, my overall gpa is 3.7! I'm pretty proud of myself!

THE_JOKER
03-07-2012, 03:08 AM
An so you should be Ed! those are awesome results! :chug:

Ian
03-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Your welcome Ed, it was my pleasure ( Really :drool: )

And awesome results...:chug:

BADMUTHATrUCKER
03-07-2012, 04:48 AM
So Ed, what are you officially now?

Ian
03-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Bored?!? :lol:

Oggy
03-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Well done ed:bacondance::chug:

spankrjs
03-07-2012, 06:27 AM

That is a really creepy picture. Top center of picture, blue and green "dots" look like eyes on some kind of mud monster lying in the ground:drool:

pardonmyn00b
03-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Way to go Ed! You are so S-M-R-T!

THE_JOKER
03-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Way to go Ed! You are so S-M-R-T!

Ha!....you forgot the letter "E".

The Stray Cat
03-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Hey Thanks guys! I wasn't trying to bragg, well maybe a little. so I are a college gradiate with a Backelor's Degree in Business. If only I could use my evil brain for good!:zombie:

THE_JOKER
03-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Where's the fun in that?.

Ragnarok
03-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Why is it Ed's gradyahmation didn't register? Congrajamoolashins! :lol:

While everyone is freaking out over the new announcement(s) from Apple today, I'm going to get me a PSN card in anticipation of Journey. Only $15. It gets released to non-PSN Plus members next week. PSN Plus members can get it today. :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-fRYM8x4Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-W-WvskODM

Also gonna get Motorstorm RC, but before any of that happens I gotta update my PS3's firmware and that could take days. :cryin: So…I'll start that tonight.

In a month I should also have my first few boxes for my imminent Etsy store. Hope to have that open by the beginning of May.

The Stray Cat
03-07-2012, 09:11 AM
That's very true Joker!:)

@ Rag, thanks a bunch bud!

Ragnarok
03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh, I found a bigger version of Joker's new av:

http://epicponyz.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/joker-chooses-charizard.jpg

:lolbeat:

The Stray Cat
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
That dang Charizard gets me everytime!

THE_JOKER
03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I laughed, but I'm unfamiliar with the card?.

The Stray Cat
03-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I laughed, but I'm unfamiliar with the card?.

That's a pokemon card from the trading/battle card game:nice:

THE_JOKER
03-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Ahhh...no wonder I never got it lol.

The Stray Cat
03-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Ahhh...no wonder I never got it lol.

I blame my knowledge of the card on my three kids!:lol:

THE_JOKER
03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
lol, I know the "Pikachoo" character from looks, as my friend was into it with his kids years ago.

It should have registered as it's the same sort of design really.....brain fail moment :lol:

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 07:13 AM
PIKA PIKA!

So what's everyone's plans for the weekend? I'm not doing much of anything exciting, warmer out now so I might clean up my yard a little bit get ready fro some raking!

THE_JOKER
03-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Im gonna grab me some greasy, unhealthy, high cholesterol, pizza.

As a treat :D

Other than that?.....nothing much.

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Im gonna grab me some greasy, unhealthy, high cholesterol, pizza.

As a treat :D

Other than that?.....nothing much.

I did that on wednesday, with bacon and pepperoni!:chug:

THE_JOKER
03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
:drool:

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
:drool:

Yes that just about says it all!:lol:

Ragnarok
03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Pizza is the ultimate food as far as I'm concerned. :cheese:

If I'm working Saturday (likely), I'll be sanding, detailing, staining, etc. If not, I'll be writing/sleeping.

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Pizza is the ultimate food as far as I'm concerned. :cheese:

If I'm working Saturday (likely), I'll be sanding, detailing, staining, etc. If not, I'll be writing/sleeping.

Sounds as your weekend will be as eventful as mine Rag!:chug:

Ragnarok
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
By the way, tonight I'll post a link to an article by a cardiologist/surgeon where the notion that saturated fats are the cause of heart disease is disproved. (Spoiler: it's arterial inflammation that's the cause, and that statin drugs - drugs intended to help heart disease - are a prime culprit.)

So frickin' eat that pizza like a boss! http://www.hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-flex.gif

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
By the way, tonight I'll post a link to an article by a cardiologist/surgeon where the notion that saturated fats are the cause of heart disease is disproved. (Spoiler: it's arterial inflammation that's the cause, and that statin drugs - drugs intended to help heart disease -is a prime culprit.)

So frickin' eat that pizza like a boss! [img]http://www.hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-flex.gif[img]

I love me some pizza and I really don't believe half of what these FDA people and surgeons tell us, they are all in the business of making money.

THE_JOKER
03-09-2012, 11:11 AM
So frickin' eat that pizza like a boss! http://www.hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/emo/emo-flex.gif

http://forums.superherohype.com/images/smilies/HOBOKER2-1.gif

Ehh lol.

http://forums.superherohype.com/images/smilies/batman.gif

:mad:

Ohh! http://forums.superherohype.com/images/smilies/hq.gif http://forums.superherohype.com/images/smilies/tffinallo9.gif

One for when Rag loses it? http://forums.superherohype.com/images/smilies/Inc%20Hulk.gif

Sorry, got carried away!.....

Ian
03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I cooked two mahasoove meaty pizzas tonight for dinner. I only cook pizza when i can't be bothered making a real meal. I do however love the Good-fellas 'takeaway' stuffed crust pizza :drool:

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
The town I work in has 7 pizzarias, 3 convenient stores that sell pizza, and two grocery stores that sell pizza.

Ragnarok
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
I tried to reply shortly after my last post, but I was doing everything from my phone. It logged me out after I tried to make this HUGE post ("huge" in terms of typing with a toothpick on a screen 4 sizes too small and virtual keys that are 1/8" square) so I didn't bother trying again. :p

Joker, awesome Hulk emoticon. :lol:

Ian, we've got a take-and-bake chain over here called Papa Murphy's. (I call 'em Papa Smurf's.) For the most part, I flipping LOVE their pizza, but they have some that is really sub-par. Their Chicago "stuffed" pizzas are a little weak. They don't put sauce inside the pizza - just on the upper, outer layer in a small area. Their "Cowboy" is kinda dumb (pepperoni, 'burger, mushrooms, and a metric ton of black olives). And their new "Cheeseburger" pizza is an affront to nature. Mustard and pickles DO NOT BELONG ON A DAMNHELL PIZZA! It's unnatural and blasphemous. I just order the all-meat and I'm in heaven.

I've never counted the number of pizza joints we have in Wasilla. We have a Papa Murphy's, a Papa John's, Sicily's Pizza (local chain), Great Alaska Pizza Co. (also local - they bought all of the Little Caesar's when they pulled out of AK - and these guys' pizza makes Caesar's taste like cardboard), Pizza Hut, Filipo's (also local), Pioneer Pizza (local too), Evangelo's (the owner is actually Russian or Ukranian - super high-end Italian cuisine, but supposedly has killer pizza too)…so I guess eight-ish. If I include all of the places between Wasilla and Palmer, I could probably add another three. In Anchorage they have about six or seven Sicily's, only about three Pizza Huts (a bunch of them closed up), one Round Table (they were awesome!), all the other usual suspects, as well as mess of locals pizzerias. The one pizza place I miss the most went out of business about 20+ years ago: One Guy From Italy. Oh my holy fudge! It was Chicago thick-crust that was indescribable. :drool:

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 03:01 PM
The town I work in is pretty small to actually have that many pizza joints, but amazingly they are all very busy all day everyday! You haven't lived until you have had actual NEw York pizza! http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/elkozak73/41889317_m.gif

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Oh I found a new awesome smiley today!
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/elkozak73/braveheart.gif

THE_JOKER
03-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Freeeedooooom!!!

Ian
03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
That's alreet jimmeh!

Ian
03-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Ian, we've got a take-and-bake chain over here called Papa Murphy's. (I call 'em Papa Smurf's.) For the most part, I flipping LOVE their pizza, but they have some that is really sub-par. Their Chicago "stuffed" pizzas are a little weak. They don't put sauce inside the pizza - just on the upper, outer layer in a small area. Their "Cowboy" is kinda dumb (pepperoni, 'burger, mushrooms, and a metric ton of black olives). And their new "Cheeseburger" pizza is an affront to nature. Mustard and pickles DO NOT BELONG ON A DAMNHELL PIZZA! It's unnatural and blasphemous. I just order the all-meat and I'm in heaven.

I've never counted the number of pizza joints we have in Wasilla. We have a Papa Murphy's, a Papa John's, Sicily's Pizza (local chain), Great Alaska Pizza Co. (also local - they bought all of the Little Caesar's when they pulled out of AK - and these guys' pizza makes Caesar's taste like cardboard), Pizza Hut, Filipo's (also local), Pioneer Pizza (local too), Evangelo's (the owner is actually Russian or Ukranian - super high-end Italian cuisine, but supposedly has killer pizza too)…so I guess eight-ish. If I include all of the places between Wasilla and Palmer, I could probably add another three. In Anchorage they have about six or seven Sicily's, only about three Pizza Huts (a bunch of them closed up), one Round Table (they were awesome!), all the other usual suspects, as well as mess of locals pizzerias. The one pizza place I miss the most went out of business about 20+ years ago: One Guy From Italy. Oh my holy fudge! It was Chicago thick-crust that was indescribable. :drool:

I go for the all meat variety also. I have to say that, tonight i was a little disappointed in my pizza. Normally there so juicy and the crust is filled with either tomato or cheese. The ones i had tonight were advertised as stuffed crusts, but were just bread. So i had a stuffed crust stuffed with more crust and bread..... All the meat on top was yummy though:drool:

This is the only pizza i will eat, unless i make my own. My own are made with Puff pastry and plenty of topping.

FunkyHunk
03-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Ian, If you need Oars, I would think you'd have enough scrap styrene lying around to glue a couple up in no time :nice:

On a sidenote, I've just spent the last three hours playing L.A. Noire.
What a great game, I love it!
It has the best facial expression and lipsync that I have ever seen in any game so far.
The graphics are very nice too, and the story is cool.

For those wondering about it, it's an adventure detective game in a "sand box" environment centred around Los Angeles in the late forties.
You play at first as an officer patrolling "the beat" who works his way up to detective.
I'll give some sort of review later on when I have played it enough to get a thorough look.

So far it's looking good :)

pardonmyn00b
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Oh man, did I miss the pizza discussion? :huh:

In other food related news, I had (part of) a donut with bacon on it today. Wasn't a fan of it. And one more food related bit of news, I later had a BBQ chicken chicken sandwich with bacon on it. I was a fan of it.

The Stray Cat
03-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I haven't tried the bacon covered sweets yet, but any other food is indeed good with the bacon!

:bacondance::bacondance::bacondance::bacondance: :bacondance::bacondance:

Ian
03-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Ian, If you need Oars, I would think you'd have enough scrap styrene lying around to glue a couple up in no time :nice:

On a sidenote, I've just spent the last three hours playing L.A. Noire.
What a great game, I love it!
It has the best facial expression and lipsync that I have ever seen in any game so far.
The graphics are very nice too, and the story is cool.

For those wondering about it, it's an adventure detective game in a "sand box" environment centred around Los Angeles in the late forties.
You play at first as an officer patrolling "the beat" who works his way up to detective.
I'll give some sort of review later on when I have played it enough to get a thorough look.

So far it's looking good :)

I've got a few boxes of offcut styrene pieces in the other shed, but there all small pieces so by the time i got close to an oar, i'd be swimming.

You should speak to Joker about LA Noire, he had that a while ago and completed it i think. I was going to get it but he mentioned it killing some peoples PS3's. So i chickened out. I do know that the pictures he sent of it, it looked like it was excellently detailed.

Oh man, did I miss the pizza discussion? :huh:

In other food related news, I had (part of) a donut with bacon on it today. Wasn't a fan of it. And one more food related bit of news, I later had a BBQ chicken chicken sandwich with bacon on it. I was a fan of it.

I haven't tried the bacon covered sweets yet, but any other food is indeed good with the bacon!

:bacondance::bacondance::bacondance::bacondance: :bacondance::bacondance:

So n00b, Is the chicken chicken sandwich twice as good as a chicken sandwich?

I heard that bacon goes well with sweet!?! I know that bacon bomb i made with all the brown sugar cooked into the top of the bacon like a sugary glaze, that was the best part the bacon with caramelized sugar :drool:

You guys really need to try that! Book yourselves in for a bypass for afterwards though.

THE_JOKER
03-10-2012, 03:16 AM
L.A noire was awesome, an there was a load of people saying it caused their PS3's to overheat an die lol. No idea if it was true or not.

Another reason I thought Ian wouldn't want it, is because it wasn't like GTA, no running around killing people ect.......he left that bit out.

You have it on PC Funky?.

FunkyHunk
03-10-2012, 04:18 AM
L.A noire was awesome, an there was a load of people saying it caused their PS3's to overheat an die lol. No idea if it was true or not.

Another reason I thought Ian wouldn't want it, is because it wasn't like GTA, no running around killing people ect.......he left that bit out.

You have it on PC Funky?.

Yeah, I sure do. If I hog the TV much my missus would flog me, so I play most of my games on the PC.
I maxed out the graphics in 1920x1080 also, with DX11 and full AF/AA and everything on quality :nice:

THE_JOKER
03-10-2012, 04:22 AM
I was thinking of getting it for PC to see the better graphics myself.

Defo a cool game, one you have to pay deep attention to though lol.

Ragnarok
03-10-2012, 09:22 AM
On the subject of games, I completed my download of Motor Storm RC last night. It's not a huge download - 600MB - and I was able to break it up into two sessions. (I'm SO glad the PS3 setup allows you to pause downloads.) I have to wait until next week for Journey, but since I purchased two $20 PSN cards, I'll have enough left over for another $15 game. I'm torn between Smash Cars, (I have the demo, so I know how it "plays" - I liked it), and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. The Strong Bad internet cartoon is dead (last one was Christmas of 2010) and I was such a huge fan of the whole Homestar Runner universe (it was one of the best things to happen to the internet entertainment-wise), so I may just get it first and pick up SC next month.

Back to the subject of pizza, my favorite frozen pizza is Stouffer's french bread pizza, and Red Baron's Deep Dish Singles. I loathe RB's french bread pizza. I don't know why it sucks - maybe it's the quality of the bread or sauce, or maybe it has nothing to do with the quality of either and it's simply the flavor combination of the two, I dunno - but it sucks. Stouffer's is KILLER. Their Lean Cuisine subdivision also makes a french bread pizza, and for "diet" pizza, it's about as good as you can get.

Pepperidge Farms used to make a croissant-crust pizza that was obscenely good, but I haven't seen one of those for 20 years or more.

Freschetta and Di Giorno's are both pretty good, but with the sheer number of varieties between the two, and the constant shuffling of those varieties, makes them a non-choice for me. (One of those two had a focaccia-bread crust pizza that was to kill for, but it's long gone.) They're too expensive for what they are, so experimenting to see which version you prefer becomes a money issue. This is what makes something like Papa Murphy's (or store-brand non-frozen take-n'-bakes) a better deal - you know what you want, you get more pizza, and it's far better quality in every way.

THE_JOKER
03-10-2012, 09:26 AM
I like Motorstorm R/C, though I spend most of the time with it in the playground bit, I'm not a big fan of competitive racing tbh.

Ragnarok
03-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Cool. It was only $10, so I don't expect it to be a "the racing game of a lifetime." :lol: I'm going to fire it up right now and see if I can log in ten or 15 minutes before I have to leave for work.

Oops. Here's the article on heart disease I was going to post last night: :angel:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

Ragnarok
03-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Okay, spent less than 10 minutes - did four quick races. It's a modern version of RC Pro-Am, which is not a bad thing. The options of the two different control schemes was a little strange - I opted for the first one rather than the "relative direction" you would get with something like moving a Final Fantasy character around on a dungeon map. :blink:

I was kind of hoping for a camera-over-the-tailgate camera scheme like Smash Cars or any regular racing game, but the vantage point that is just like RC Pro-Am (kind of over the whole track, or most of it) actually makes it more realistic to RC racing.

THE_JOKER
03-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Same scheme I went with, I had trouble doing the demo lap with the alternate one too.

BTW when you unlock more of the "playground play area", use your car to score goals and "nets" in the basketball hoop.

10 goals unlocks a special car, 20 unlocks another. And same with the nets :)

Ragnarok
03-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I haven't opened up the Playground just yet. I imagine I will after I win a few races or mark off some achievements. I just played a little bit more. DEFINITELY an RC Pro-Am game. So far, the model selection is pretty good, and the room for new rigs is also pretty good. What I'm not liking is the darkness and ambiguity of some tracks. Some are so dark it's hard to see where you're going or where you need to turn. Definitely one of those games where if you only have 15 to 30 minutes to play something, it'll be a good instant gratification game. :nice:

THE_JOKER
03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I haven't had a problem with that yet tbh, I do like how when under bridges etc, your car gets a yellow arrow to show where your facing. Cool feature to prevent loss of control as such.

Defo a fun little time killing game though!.

Ragnarok
03-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Agreed. Anyone that has a spare $10 and has fond memories of the old NES game RC Pro-Am should get it. :nice:

Now, off to get Strong Bad. :lol:

The Stray Cat
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Okay, so I watched the movie In Time with Amanada Seyfried and Justin Timberlake this weekend. THe movie left a lot to be desired. If you like Amanda and want to see her in her skivvies then this your movie. It had some sweet futuristic looking Dodge Ramchargers and Challengers in it which I liked. The concept of the movie was really good, the script of the movie focused too much on the connection between the stars than the actual premise of the movie. I'd only rate it 1.5 Bacons out of five with maybe a chery on top!

Oggy
03-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Hey guy, I will have a thread in the 1/1 section later, but I just bought a 5 series BMW, and it's Ian's fault:chug:

Spoon37
03-13-2012, 07:56 AM
:lol: grats Oggy :nice:

I've just been trying to find the shed in the garden... its surrounded by brambles, weeds, twigs, the odd hosepipe and theres even supposed to be a big ladder hidden behind it somewhere... after an hour of hacking at it all, pulling stuff out of the ground and such I decided its time for a cuppa :tea:

Also got mewed at by next doors rather overweight cat... I think it wants food but its the first time it made any sound in my presence so who knows... (its half of a pair of rescue centre ginger tom cats, who seem to have had a quiet [and over-fed] life before the rescue centre got them so they are a bit shy).

THE_JOKER
03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Don't look it in the eye Spoon!. lol

Also, use your hosepipe quick before then ban lol. Drought indeed.....been raining for days.

Spoon37
03-13-2012, 08:13 AM
I would but I could hardly stay upright for mud and damp moss... dont really need the water.

Still when the government allows building of houses on natural aquifiers, and can't work out that this means not only less water accumulated but also more demand, is it any wonder there's something stupid like 12 hosepipe bans across the country? and its only march! :crazy:

THE_JOKER
03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Expect the mad riots for "Buxton" water to start soon :lol:

Spoon37
03-13-2012, 08:29 AM
:lol: too true... better stock up on Coca Cola too before they remove the carcinogenic dye...or wait they aren't removing it for europe? :thinking:

THE_JOKER
03-13-2012, 08:32 AM
I read about that :nono:

Ragnarok
03-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Okay, so I watched the movie In Time with Amanada Seyfried and Justin Timberlake this weekend. THe movie left a lot to be desired. If you like Amanda and want to see her in her skivvies then this your movie. It had some sweet futuristic looking Dodge Ramchargers and Challengers in it which I liked. The concept of the movie was really good, the script of the movie focused too much on the connection between the stars than the actual premise of the movie. I'd only rate it 1.5 Bacons out of five with maybe a chery on top!

Not surprising. I loathe both of them. I've seen Amanda Seyfried in only one movie, one that cannot be unseen. (Mama Mia - long story short, my sis-in-law tricked me into watching it. :cryin:) I am curious about The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. It's based on a Philip K. Dick story, and those always translate into some bizarre filmmaking experiences. :lol:

Hey guy, I will have a thread in the 1/1 section later, but I just bought a 5 series BMW, and it's Ian's fault:chug:
Whoa. :blink: My main financial goal this year is to get a vehicle myself. I dream of having a 1979 Ford F250 or Bronco of the same year, but they're of an age that, unless they're completely rusted out or have been rebuilt a dozen times, they're going to demand pretty high prices. :nono: I found a 1979 Bronco a couple of weeks ago that had less than 15K on it (it's been in a garage since 1983) and the owner wanted about $11K. My first car is going to have to be less than $3K. :cryin:

:lol: too true... better stock up on Coca Cola too before they remove the carcinogenic dye...or wait they aren't removing it for europe? :thinking:

I read about that :nono:

Wait…what? :huh:

Oggy
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
I paid £395 for this, MOT till December, tax till end of June.

The private plate is coming off, and going back on an age related G plate

Few pictures taken from the sales advert

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/bigoggy/9325789c.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/bigoggy/c2979656.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/bigoggy/26601035.jpg

THE_JOKER
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17308181 @ Rag

Ragnarok
03-13-2012, 08:58 AM

…clip…

Lucky! Ever take off any sweet jumps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17308181 @ Rag
My aching butt! California is the 2nd biggest nanny-state Chicken Little government on this miserable planet (DC is #1). This line right here is the most important thing to know:
It said that apart from California "not one single regulatory agency around the world considers the exposure of the public to 4-MEI as present in caramels as an issue."

:nono:

THE_JOKER
03-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I mainly drink water myself tbh.

Bit like that Waterboy......who has vanished.

Along with Lee too come to think of it?.

Ragnarok
03-13-2012, 09:20 AM
The only sodapop I drink now is Diet 7up, and that's only occasionally. I'm mostly water, too.

Regarding Lee and Waterboy - I'd add Leo, too - I dunno.

THE_JOKER
03-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Me neither.

The Stray Cat
03-13-2012, 09:47 AM
@ Rag, Adjustment Bureau was a decent flick, definitely a worthwhile experience as far as it's unusual story devices.

@ Lil' JOhn, that is sweet little ride Mate, now you got a new job, a new car, what's next? a new suit??:)

I really drink very little caramel colored sodas any longer, I do enjoy the occassional Root beer, but I used to have a bad coke cola addiction, I would go through a 12 pack in just about two days.

California just needs to fall into the ocean along with a good portion of its population.

Ragnarok
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
If it weren't for its rich farmland, I'd agree. And it probably will at some point anyway. The thing is, what it would take to do that would also wreck everything on the west coast all the way up here. Lose CA, and WA, OR and AK would go with it. (And the western provinces of Canada, which would suck, too. Mexico will get ripped up, but they can go to hell.)

The Stray Cat
03-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Well I really don't want it to fall into the ocean, mainly just the government and its members!

FunkyHunk
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
So, I used the quad with the plow today, for the forth time this winter.
We've had a lot less snow than we did previous winter.
I just hope it stops soon :p

UK_Andy
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/bigoggy/9325789c.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/bigoggy/c2979656.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/bigoggy/26601035.jpg

Why take the private plate off?

Oggy
03-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Because the previous owner wants it back for sentimental reasons

Ragnarok
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
So, I used the quad with the plow today, for the forth time this winter.
We've had a lot less snow than we did previous winter.
I just hope it stops soon :p

And yet we've broken records for the volume of snow this year pretty much everywhere in the state. Our house is likely to be flooded during breakup. :(

FunkyHunk
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
And yet we've broken records for the volume of snow this year pretty much everywhere in the state. Our house is likely to be flooded during breakup. :(

I guess it's a time for extremes really, We've had strange weather for the last two years now.
I guess mother earth is pre menstrual :p

Ragnarok
03-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Well, a typical Alaskan winter is never the same from one year to the next. It's a simple truth. If I see penguins from Antarctica with machine guns riding sea turtles and invading the beaches of Cordova, then I'll say something is up. Otherwise, our "record" snowfall (which is still a lot, but it didn't beat the records by very much) is ultimately nonanomolous. (Is that a real word?)

FunkyHunk
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Well, a typical Alaskan winter is never the same from one year to the next. It's a simple truth. If I see penguins from Antarctica with machine guns riding sea turtles and invading the beaches of Cordova, then I'll say something is up. Otherwise, our "record" snowfall (which is still a lot, but it didn't beat the records by very much) is ultimately nonanomolous. (Is that a real word?)

Last year was strange in many ways, we had an exeptionally warm spring, very warm and dry summer and an extremely rainy autumn. This winter so far is warmer than many of the winters before, I wore out the battery on the quad plowing last year, I think I used it over 30 times last winter.
I use the winch for lowering and raising the plow, and it drained the battery almost after every run.

Btw, if nonanomolous isnt a word, it should be. Say it fast three times :p

THE_JOKER
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Btw, if nonanomolous isnt a word, it should be. Say it fast three times :p

Nomnomnomnomnom

UK_Andy
03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
We in the Uk are going to be on a hose pipe ban within the next few weeks.

The Stray Cat
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
We in the Uk are going to be on a hose pipe ban within the next few weeks.

What is a hose pipe ban?

FunkyHunk
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
It's when they ban everybody with the nickname "hose pipe" from all their forums.

Or it could be something else?

The Stray Cat
03-14-2012, 02:04 PM
It's when they ban everybody with the nickname "hose pipe" from all their forums.

Or it could be something else?

DUh!, I should've known that!:rofl:

oldskoolmini
03-15-2012, 07:21 AM
hey fellas! :wave:

been a while since I've been on. been busy with work and school. I've also had a cold from he11 ever since a race I went to a Couple weeks ago. 35 degrees Fahrenheit is WAY to cold to be racing. On to some Better news. I've been doing some repairs here and there to my van lately. stuff life engine maintenance, shock replacement, minor wiring, and paint. I'm happy to say that it is fixed up enough to where i can drive it again. For the longest time i had thought one of the electric motors in the driver's seat had burned out. It has a special base that will slide back about a foot and a half, raise up a foot, and swivel 90 degrees all via electric motors. I took the van to a buddy of mine's shop and he was able to determine it was just a switch that went bad. So one $11 switch later and it works. I also had to replace a switch on the chair lift, adjust the hand controls, and fix the wiring for trailer light hook ups. And hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can go and get my drivers license renewed. Its been 4 years since I've been behind the wheel on the road. Just had a couple go-rounds in an empty parking lot.

Recently I've also started volunteering for a local non-profit called the Coosa River Basin Initiative. We help keep our local river system clean and help preserve the drinking water to Floyd county Georgia, and help preserve the local wildlife. CRBI also organizes many events, fairs, kayak and canoe trips as well. I've been put on the planning committee for CRBI's Events. I'm happy about that. Hopefully sometime this year I will Take a paddling trip in a kayak down one of the local rivers. I've also been helping out raise money for some of the events CRBI holds. I have a fundraising page set up to accept donations. http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jakebloodworth/waterfest-xii-canoe-a-thon
All donations are greatly appreciated. All money goes to CRBI to help pay for these events and to help preserve the local wildlife. CRBI's website can be found here. http://www.coosa.org/

Ragnarok
03-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Good news about the van, man, and glad to see you're still kicking. :chug:

If you guys will indulge me, a couple of things:
One, the new Japanese trailer for The Avengers has a ton of new footage. Nothing Earth-shattering, but still kinda neat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrCDmxER-vs

Two, I need to make a correction to a previous statement. According to the local news, we're actually almost to our record snowfall, so we haven't broken any records yet, but Anchorage is likely to match or barely exceed the record of one-hundred-thirty-something inches. I dunno what we've received out here, but I know Los Anchorage has gotten a bit more than we did. Maybe three feet more?

Lastly, my review of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Season Pass. That "season pass" subtitle denotes that it has all five episodes in one set. This was developed by the same folks that did the Sam & Max games, many of whom were with LucasArts when they made The Secrets of Monkey Island, and I suspect the Maniac Mansion/Tentacle trilogy. This is a "point and click"-style of game, so it's mostly based on puzzles of interaction and using things with other things or other people.

I've only completed the first episode and I'm on my way to finishing the second. The plot of the first episode is Strong Bad has been told he can't compete in the local "Race to the End of the Race" competition, so he plots to impersonate Homestar Runner, and in doing so ruins Homestar's reputation. After a while of enjoying the fruits of his labors, he realizes that he has to clear HR's name. In part two, The King of Town has levied a fascist email tax that puts Strongbad under house arrest. After throwing items from around the house out the window so his neighbors can build an effigy of the King to burn, he breaks free and vows to overthrow the King of Town, who he refuses to call "King," so he just calls the guy "The of Town." The goal here is to "conquer" the other places in town and assemble the Homestarmy. There's lots of "burnination" in episode two. It's not Trogdor - he shows up in a later episode. So far, it's just Strong Bad setting fire to kimonos, papier mache skulls, and his bed with a Zippo. :lol:

Each episode can take about two hours, but I'm taking my time, so I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5 "real" hours. The "real" hours thing is something I discovered in playing RPGs. For example, FF VII was supposed to be about a 40-50 hour game, but the real hours for me, which includes all of the dozens times I have to restart after getting smeared by Emerald Weapon, or all of the times I'd restart trying to breed me a gold Chocobo, was twice that. 2 hours may seem short, but there are five episodes, so together it's a 9 to 12-hour game. Longer than a lot of run-and-gun or survival horror games out there.

Although it's this is a subjective statement, I think these are insanely funny. If you enjoy the Homestar Runner webtoons, this is a must-buy. Not everybody is going to get it. If you're new to the whole thing, spend about two hours going through the Homestarrunner.com website to "get" a lot of the jokes that are in the game. Most people that were children in the '80s, had an Atari 2600 (or any pre-NES system), had a sibling that you didn't always get along with, etc. will definitely understand this humor. There are times where you're going to be going around in circles, but if you're not an absolute completist, some of it you can ignore. So far the most mundane component isn't optional: hunting for essential junk with a metal detector. If you follow the clues, it's not a time consuming thing, but if you're a little more thick-headed like I was at first, you'll be running around with your Taranchula (sic) Black Metal Detector a lot.

It's available for several different systems: Nintendo Wii, Windows, PS3 via PSN, and supposedly Mac OS X. Not available for Xbox. I got it for my PS3 and it was $15 on PSN, and I don't know what it is for the Wiiware or Mac OS X. The PC variant is anywhere from $1 to $7 (or $25 if you buy direct from the developer) depending on where you look. I'm loving it so far.

So far, I give this 4.5 bacons out of 5.

:bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :banana:

Next full review will be of Journey which I'll probably submit in a week or so. I'm anxious to try it, but I want to finish the whole Strong Bad epic first.

UK_Andy
03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
What is a hose pipe ban?

They ban us from using hose pipes to water our gardens and lawns cos its not rained enough in the UK, funny that cos it always seems to be raining.

The Stray Cat
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Isn't the UK on an Island, how do you draught an Island? We have those over here in places, usually in the south. They are usually just called water limitations or something similar.

UK_Andy
03-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Isn't the UK on an Island, how do you draught an Island? We have those over here in places, usually in the south. They are usually just called water limitations or something similar.

No, it is an island and yes we are all baffled by it too.

FunkyHunk
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Nice to see you back OSM, It looks like things are looking up for you now?
I remember you had a pretty hard time last time I read your posts.
And it's always nice to get your car back on the road again, it was an amazing feeling when I first could take my Taunus out for a drive after that 4 year long restoration.

It's like getting an old friend back :nice:

UK_Andy: One would think it rained enough over there to not get water shortages.
I have a friend in Manchester that I talk to several times a week and it seems that it reins over there almost every day?

On that subject, Ragnarok, I can't believe the amount of snow you have, It's like 3.3 metres of snow.
I've lived in northern Norway all my life, (30 years) and I've never seen more than 1 metres of snow throughout a winter in our parts.

Oh, and Diablo III is looking SWEET!! ZOMG!!!11!!!!1!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z453r7ndzw

And it's releasing 15rd of may.

Ragnarok
03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
On that subject, Ragnarok, I can't believe the amount of snow you have, It's like 3.3 metres of snow.
I've lived in northern Norway all my life, (30 years) and I've never seen more than 1 metres of snow throughout a winter in our parts.
The 10+ feet of snow in Anchorage is NOTHING compared to the snow in the Cordova/Valdez area. This year they've received 322" so far, which is about 5 inches BELOW their AVERAGE! of 327" (27' 4", or roughly 8.2 meters). They need 13 feet more (!) this year to match their record.

Oh, and Diablo III is looking SWEET!! ZOMG!!!11!!!!1!!

And it's releasing 15rd of may.
15rd of May, 2056. :lolbeat:

Seriously though, I doubt this will be the "Duke Nukem Forever" of RPGs.

THE_JOKER
03-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Watched all 3 of The Lord Of The Rings movies now........awesome :)

I only watched the standard BluRay ones though.......so I missed out on the other bits. Did anyone kill that "Wormtongue" guy in the extended ones?.

I may have to get the Extended ones at a later date.

The Stray Cat
03-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Glad you enjoyed the flicks Joker! What did you think about the battle at the beginning of the Two Towers at Helm's Deep?

THE_JOKER
03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
I enjoyed it Ed!, ones that I liked the most though were in "The Return Of The King". Liked the "Olyphont" I think they pronounced it (big damn Elephants) too.

All round very enjoyable films, with the first being slightly slow going for me, but then that's understandable seeing as how they need to introduce the characters ect.

Also, the Orc leader in the final film.......am I the only one whos first thought was "HEEEEY YOUUU GUUUUYS!!"??.

Looked like him :lol:

The Stray Cat
03-16-2012, 08:15 AM
I enjoyed it Ed!, ones that I liked the most though were in "The Return Of The King". Liked the "Olyphont" I think they pronounced it (big damn Elephants) too.

All round very enjoyable films, with the first being slightly slow going for me, but then that's understandable seeing as how they need to introduce the characters ect.

Also, the Orc leader in the final film.......am I the only one whos first thought was "HEEEEY YOUUU GUUUUYS!!"??.

Looked like him :lol:

The Olyphonts were actually pretty damn cool! My favorite was the Wargs and their riders, those were the dog/cat looking things.

Yes he looks like the dude from goonies with a little more elephantitis.:lol: The first movie does move a little slow but it is actually quite rushed compared to the book. Of course some of the things that were left out of the movie were pretty exciting in the book.

THE_JOKER
03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
I think I will get the "Extended" version later tbh, I really enjoyed them, and wouldn't mind seeing extra :)

I thought them cat things were oversized Hyenas :lol: Hyenas on steroids.

Ragnarok
03-16-2012, 08:36 AM
In the books they were like bear-sized wolves. That was one of the things that GDT was wanting to make more book-accurate for The Hobbit. But then he quit. :lol:

The Stray Cat
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
In the books they were like bear-sized wolves. That was one of the things that GDT was wanting to make more book-accurate for The Hobbit. But then he quit. :lol:

Yes they were supposed to be large wolves and if you were to watch the Hobbit cartoon you can see them animated as such. It would be nice to have Jackson redo them more as wolves because I liked them in the flick but they were very Hyena looking.

THE_JOKER
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Ah! see, this why I should read more too lol.

pardonmyn00b
03-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Had a close call today while I was riding my bike down the road. Some dork on a Harley went far left of center in front of me, like complete opposite side of the road and crashed. Awesome/scary/gnarly. I was riding down the white line on the correct side of the road and he just missed me by a few feet. I got blasted with mud and water when he went into the cabbage. He ended up flipping over the bars and knocking his melon and breaking some bones. No helmet of course. Those are for sissies.

Some rednecks looking at the bike while the dude was laying on the ground (out of picture). You can see where he went in the ditch and the very edge of the road where I was.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7206/6842268028_e06e728393_z.jpg

After the sheriff and ambulance came I continued on my ride. Wetter and dirtier than when I started. My new bike all covered in junk. What a shame.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6988393037_7ef322ef02_z.jpg

FunkyHunk
03-16-2012, 07:25 PM
I think that would qualify as a close call.
Be thankful no lives were lost, and that you live to post about it :nice:

The Stray Cat
03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Holy SHEET! That is definitely the definition of close call.

On a different topic, I bought my 6yr old son a Traxxas 1/16 scale Grave Digger off a Hobby shop on EBay Monday, rec. it today and that litle thing is insanely awesome! For $195 shipped it's perfect size for him, but I need to make a throttle guard so he can't go all in!

Ragnarok
03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
P-n00b: :blink: Glad you're okay.

Ed: congrats on the new RC for Jr. :nice:

As for me, I've been feeling creative with my music, wanting to try some new ideas, but it would appear that I have somehow offended the overly-sensitive Gods of Cupertino because my recording software will not cooperate. The instant my fingers touched my keyboard I came up with a small kernel of something that I would hope could be something larger, but I couldn't get it "down." Can't record more than 4 bars, and then it overdubs that in a loop. There's no way to complete a phrase. I want to kill my @#$%@$ copy of Logic! Tried a bunch of freeware and trial software only to be enraged further with plug-in incompatibilities or "trial period expired" notices.

I'm going to slog my way with Garage Band until I can afford to get me a REAL DAW PROGRAM. I'll never get another version of Logic again, that's for sure. I'm still hoping that Presonus Studio One will solve my problem.

Ragnarok
03-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Not-that-anyone-cares Update: I was able to get the idea down in Garage band. The two very important things missing from GB are step-entry from controller and external MIDI control, but other than those, it's a pretty nice program. Simple, looks good, and, so far, really stable. Typically the simpler the program the fewer things that tend to go wrong. Logic has been notorious for bizarre bugs, and I've seen too many to use it anymore.

The Stray Cat
03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Well Rag, glad you got it down anyway; even if it wasn't on your Logic software. I'd be interested in hearing a snippet sometime of it.

Ragnarok
03-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Well, all I have so far is a snippet. :lol: It's just a 16 bar phrase that I hope will lead to something more interesting. If it does (hope to work on it for the next week or nine) I'll maybe upload a short segment to SoundCloud and link it here. And I can say with great certainty that I have no plans to ever open Logic again.

One thing I've discovered is that I spent $500 on Omnisphere, but I'm getting more mileage out of the free version of Camel Audio's Alchemy. Part of it has to do with Omnisphere's sound browser and the overwhelming number of sounds. Sometimes too much is still too much. I spend all of my time farting around auditioning sounds instead of writing. Alchemy is a totally different monster. The freebie model I have has very few sounds (not enough - wanna get the full version ASAP!) but the sounds I have available "speak" to me more than those of Omni.

As a raw synthesizer, Omnisphere's insanely powerful, but I haven't had the time to work with that part of it yet. All I have done is mess with the factory sounds, which takes hours and hours to go from one end to the other. I frankly think it really is too many.

THE_JOKER
03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I used to love making the music via software like "E-Jay" ect a few years ago.......yar, I'm "low" tech :lol:

Ian
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I used to use a ring tone maker disc i got from somewhere. Don't laugh, i thought it was great, it had some good beats you could string together and even vocals. I still remember the tunes i made.

Spoon37
03-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Hmm I've never tried making my own music, not even a ringtone :lol: my folks got me a small Yamaha keyboard when I was ~8 years old but I never really got into it. Next door neighbours are looking to sell their piano though... hmmz :thinking:

Sounds like Omni is something you'll probably get into Rag - like you need to find your feet or at least some inspiring sounds/beats etc and it'll probably fall into place.

Ragnarok
03-20-2012, 08:43 AM
One of the more aggravating aspects of the creative process is once you get to a certain point one is either afraid to go further or lacks the inspiration to know what to do next. I'm the latter. I was going to try some Berlin School arpeggios in this, but as I have it playing I think its sparseness is what makes it interesting. I dunno. It's been a frustrating experience. Fighting my software and not knowing what to do really harshes my buzz. :nono:

I know this is boring as hell to most of you, so feel free to change the subject.

The Stray Cat
03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm not bored with your topic Rag but I had some thing I wanted to tell you off topic. I watched the first half of Tin Tin last night, I am so far extremely impressed with it, especially the animation, incredible. Thes tory line so far is good, reminds me of a milder Indiana Jones movies. I'll give you more info after finishing it tonight, but so far It's definitely worth buying.

THE_JOKER
03-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Not bored either Rag, something I'm not too "savvy" on so I hang back.

But I still read for the knowledge! :)

Ragnarok
03-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Aaaaannnnd I killed the thread… :lol:

Working on something kinda interesting (not music-related) and I might be able to share it later this weekend.

Ragnarok
03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Oh yeah, something interesting/goofy/cool from the Frankfurt MusikMESSE this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0ggOG8_HE

And yes it does dubstep. :blink:

THE_JOKER
03-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Musical football!!.

Freakin' cooool!!!

FunkyHunk
03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Can't say that I like dubstep very much.
It's the same with more modern music that uses autotune.
I shut it off in an instant when I hear it.
It's music for musically challenged people :p :zombie:

Ragnarok
03-22-2012, 02:58 PM

It's like a lot of things: in the right hands dubstep can actually be pretty cool, but 95% of the time it's the most annoying and unoriginal crap to ever put over a set of speakers, short of typical "oontz-oontz-oontz-oontz" disco pap where everyone's covered in bronzer and UV paint. When you see an album full of covers entitled, "Dubsteppin' to the Oldies," it's time to get out the flamethrower.

The Stray Cat
03-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Dubsteppin to the oldies, Richard Simmons next big venture!:rofl:

Ragnarok
03-22-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zJgG6mx_l8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqxxWyygmEI

:cryin:

FunkyHunk
03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Richard Simmons has got to be the most annoying person in the whole world.

rustykaos
03-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Richard Simmons has got to be the most annoying person in the whole world.

Pretty close tie with Paris Hilton in my mind.

Ragnarok
03-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Sichard Rimmons is pretty bad, but Haris Pilton is far, far, FAR worse. She's unattractive, untalented, unappealing, and possibly registered at the Center for Disease Control - everything the quintessential celebutard should be. Foul harlot! :zombie:

THE_JOKER
03-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Who's Paris Hilton?.

You mean the Hilton hotel in Paris?.

Yar......just another nobody to me :D

The Stray Cat
03-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I can't believe Simmons already has Dubstep videos out. I wonder if they come with the dietary plan like the Sweatrin to the Oldies did!:rofl:

THE_JOKER
03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Wrath Of The Titans....seen a cinema ad today in the paper.

That film came out of nowhere for me?

The Stray Cat
03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Wrath Of The Titans....seen a cinema ad today in the paper.

That film came out of nowhere for me?

Yea, I feel the same way. I was sitting watching the tube two night ago when the trailer came on and I was like WTF is this? Of course the first one was alright but nothing truly awesome. I'm waiting for Immortals to come out so I can rent that.

THE_JOKER
03-23-2012, 10:50 AM
That came out on the 5th of this month over here I think.

WTH!!....we got a release before the US?

Crack the champagne! :lol:

Ragnarok
03-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Immortals came out on video Stateside on the 6th of this month. :poke: :lol: I'm not sure I care to see an unholy chimera of Clash of the Titans and 300. It might be pretty cool anyway, so I shouldn't pass judgment too quickly I guess. I liked Clash, but hated 300 (I wanted to like it, but there were too many things against its favor).

Wrath looks like it might be okay, but I'll definitely wait for the video release. The trailers were definitely cool. The Titans themselves were awesome.

THE_JOKER
03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the first tbh, I'm looking forward to the second :)

Still so many films I have to see in the meantime, I'm so far behind!.

FunkyHunk
03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I saw Immortals in 3d when it premièred around here.
It was a enjoyable movie :nice:

Ragnarok
03-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Just did a little research. Thems be boobages in that thar film, so no go. Oh well. :lol:

FunkyHunk
03-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Don't knock it just because there's a few knockers in it?
I can't remember them so they couldn't have been that memorable :p

Ragnarok
03-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I'll still pass just the same. :nice:

Ragnarok
03-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I've been pricing Adobe CS5.5 edition software suites (CS6 edition stuff is coming out soon I hear) and I run into an outfit that carries OEM versions and sells them at a discount. Looks like they're not doing that anymore. :mad: Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Web Premium had been around $800-ish and is now up to $1300, which is where everyone else sells it. Lame. I would get a big discount as a student - final price would be $420 - but I'm not sure that I qualify since I didn't take any classes this term. :confused: I don't have the money at the moment anyway, but I might this summer.

Ragnarok
03-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Have I posted these in this thread before? If I have, I'll just remove this post. I shared these with the Admins already, but not here I don't think. Anyway, I was going to share these a couple of months ago, but my mind has been flighty since December. These are a pair of Alaskan Spruce boxes I made for going-away/Christmas gifts. I completed 'em around the first week of December. No hardware - just solid brass #10 wood screws with the heads turned down acting as hinge pivots. You really can't see them in these pics (sorta can in pics 4 and 5), but I'm also using Eastern Maple as "pillow blocks" for those pins to pivot upon. (This will reduce the wear on the Spruce end pieces.) Dimensions are about 11.5" long x 5.75" deep x 3.375" tall. Inside has a velvet pad on the floor, and there are four silicone door bumpers recessed into the underside for feet.

These last two were taken with the flash. They present the color of the boxes a little more accurately, but make the surroundings look kind of weird.

I have an African Mahogany prototype that I made a few years back. I based these boxes on that design. Only difference was I used Brusso "L-type" knife hinges instead of threaded brass pins. I need to get some good pics of it and toss them up, too.

THE_JOKER
03-26-2012, 04:07 AM
I don't remember them but DAMN!!!, them there are some niiiiiiiiice boxes! :drool:

Looking forward to the pics of your African Mahogany one!.

The Stray Cat
03-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Yea those are some nice boxes, I always have liked them since you first posted some of them up. Good luck with selling them bud!

In other news, I took my daughter to see The Hunger Games yesterday, the first half of the movie is really good, I was actually quite surprised, I don't know about the second half the theatre's server went belly up in the water and they couldn't get it to reboot, so they had to give all of us refunds.

THE_JOKER
03-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Never had a clue what that film was until I googlefrugle'd it.

Not my type of film but damn!...that must have sucked to have it cut off when you was getting into it.

The Stray Cat
03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Never had a clue what that film was until I googlefrugle'd it.

Not my type of film but damn!...that must have sucked to have it cut off when you was getting into it.

It normally wouldn't have been mine either but I was actually impressed with the quality of the acting, the costumes, and the over all filming of the movie, has a decent enough story line as well. I guess we're going back Wednesday to see it again, and hopefully finish it.

Ragnarok
03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't remember them but DAMN!!!, them there are some niiiiiiiiice boxes! :drool:

Looking forward to the pics of your African Mahogany one!.

Thanks. :blush: The young ladies that I gave them to were very excited to get them. I'll try to remember to photograph the prototype box tonight.

Yea those are some nice boxes, I always have liked them since you first posted some of them up. Good luck with selling them bud!
Thanks. It's the only way I can see right now to get the finances to get me a vehicle, the other software and hardware I'm needing (both business and music), more education, and everything else I need to provide for myself. I may not do this more than a couple of years, providing it's successful enough in the first place. If not, I'll probably have to find a job this fall, working for someone else at $12/hr for a while until I can get my Plan C program in place.

In other news, I took my daughter to see The Hunger Games yesterday, the first half of the movie is really good, I was actually quite surprised, I don't know about the second half the theatre's server went belly up in the water and they couldn't get it to reboot, so they had to give all of us refunds.
When I had been watching the buzz for the last several months, all I could do is roll my eyes, groan, and say, "Okay, so…it's the next Twilight." But I've read a lot of reviews that corroborate your opinion so far and they highly recommend the film, so I'm actually anxious to see it. (I know it's very violent and really earns that PG-13 rating.) Of course I won't get to until it hits BluRay sometime in the fall, but still. I'm thinking the first flick I'll be able to see at the theater will be The Avengers.

The Stray Cat
03-26-2012, 08:45 AM
When I had been watching the buzz for the last several months, all I could do is roll my eyes, groan, and say, "Okay, so…it's the next Twilight." But I've read a lot of reviews that corroborate your opinion so far and they highly recommend the film, so I'm actually anxious to see it. (I know it's very violent and really earns that PG-13 rating.) Of course I won't get to until it hits BluRay sometime in the fall, but still. I'm thinking the first flick I'll be able to see at the theater will be The Avengers.

Unfortunately this movie got tangled in with the whole Twilight garbage and it's nothing like it. There isn't any of the ridiculous love drama and the people in the film can actually act, which is a big thing! I was reading some reviews the other day to see if it would be to violent for my 12 yr old daughter and though there is some violence it is more implied than actually shown. The one review I read the headlines said "Jennifer Lawrence gets the Kristen Stewart treatment at the opening of The Hunger Games" WTF does KS have to do with this movie, nothing at all. The girl that plays the lead Jennifer Lawrence is quite talented and actually didn't make a very big salary for this movie, I'm sure the studio will make up for it in the sequels but still. Comparing her or this movie to Stewart and Twilight is just ridiculous, other than they are based on young reader novels.

Ragnarok
03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah, the dearth of talent in Twilight was vomit inducing. All of the long pauses where the audience is almost inclined to say, "LINE!"; vampires that mumble their parts in a muffled-buzz under their breath; and those annoying step-pauses that supposedly carry the weight of apprehension between characters. Gyahhh! And I totally DON'T GET the draw of Kristen Stewart. She's playing Snow White in Snow White and the Huntsman, and that fact alone is keeping it off my "Wanna See" list. Chris Hemsworth is the woodsman, and he'll probably just play Thor without the hammer (which wouldn't be a complete failure), and Charlize Theron is the queen (hubba-hubba), but it's not enough to balance out the vacuum coming from Kristen's black hole of talent.

The Stray Cat
03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Yeah, the dearth of talent in Twilight was vomit inducing. All of the long pauses where the audience is almost inclined to say, "LINE!"; vampires that mumble their parts in a muffled-buzz under their breath; and those annoying step-pauses that supposedly carry the weight of apprehension between characters. Gyahhh! And I totally DON'T GET the draw of Kristen Stewart. She's playing Snow White in Snow White and the Huntsman, and that fact alone is keeping it off my "Wanna See" list. Chris Hemsworth is the woodsman, and he'll probably just play Thor without the hammer (which wouldn't be a complete failure), and Charlize Theron is the queen (hubba-hubba), but it's not enough to balance out the vacuum coming from Kristen's black hole of talent.

Yep, that Snow White is not working its way onto my wanna see list either, I can't stand KS, there is nothing special about her and her acting skills in any of her movies is on par, or maybe worse, with the typical 7th grade rendition of Annie!

Ragnarok
03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what it feels like. Middle School drama club-caliber acting "skills."

The Stray Cat
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, especially those into music. My 18 yr old daughter from Georgia sent me this link to her recording sessions that she is doing.
http://sites.google.com/site/visionquestcorinnab/genre-1-how-does-music-affect-emotions

If you go to the "product" link it has some WMA files attached.

FunkyHunk
03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Ragnarok; that is some very nice boxes dude, top work :nice:

TSC: I liked her voice, she was clear and have potential for more without stressing her voice.
And the music was pretty well produced too.

The Stray Cat
03-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks Funky, not bad for her first recording. When I listen to it, it doesn't even sound like her to me; it's very strange.

THE_JOKER
03-27-2012, 07:25 AM
wth?.....if I heard that in HMV or other store on the speaker. I would asume shes already a hit star, sounds awesome Ed :nice:

No kidding!

The Stray Cat
03-27-2012, 07:49 AM
wth?.....if I heard that in HMV or other store on the speaker. I would asume shes already a hit star, sounds awesome Ed :nice:

No kidding!

Thanks Mate! She's been singing with her church choir for quite a few years. With her being in Georgia with her mother and me in NY I haven't seen her as much as I would've liked to but it's good to know she got some talent from side of the family. Her mother can't sing to save her life! My grandfather many, many years ago actually sang on the radio New York City when he was an entertainer/DJ. Of course that's not what they called them back then.:nice:

THE_JOKER
03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Well she certainly does have a talent bud! no doubt about that!.

Ragnarok
03-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Wow. :chug: She has a very nice voice. What are her goals? Is she planning a career out of this?

BTW, thanks Funky. I haven't gotten around to photographing that other box. I'll have a little time tomorrow morning and I'll try to do it then.

PS: I HAZ BLOG. CLORK THE BOUNCY FOOT BELOW.

FunkyHunk
03-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Wow. :chug: She has a very nice voice. What are her goals? Is she planning a career out of this?

BTW, thanks Funky. I haven't gotten around to photographing that other box. I'll have a little time tomorrow morning and I'll try to do it then.

PS: I HAZ BLOG. CLORK THE BOUNCY FOOT BELOW.

Just so you know, the exterior shots of Hoth was filmed in Norway :p