PDA

View Full Version : between me an rangerboy - OFFICIAL THREAD MISSION STATEMENT POST #253

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82

Ragnarok
11-08-2013, 01:00 AM
I found out that one of our kitchens was featured on a nationally-broadcast reality realty show called Buying Alaska. The episode is called Hangar Homes, and it's in the so-called "junk house." I have pics, but I haven't been able to update our website to include them. The kitchen is in a living space that is over a hangar.

THE_JOKER
11-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Cool that one of your kitchens was featured on TV, a little less flattering that it was on an episode with that name "Junk House" though.

jake10684
11-08-2013, 07:21 AM
:nicolas:

Not quite what I had in mind, but it'll do the job. :lol:

And I agree wholeheartedly on the whole class reunion thing. My 10th just passed, and in spite of pressure from my parents, my sister, and some friends, I refused to go. After it was over, a friend that went said he wished he hadn't.

No regrets.

Ragnarok
11-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Cool that one of your kitchens was featured on TV, a little less flattering that it was on an episode with that name "Junk House" though.

For sure. I don't have cable/satellite, but my oldest brother does. He got to see the episode last night and sent me a text message a little before 11:00pm. In the promo (which I'm linking to below) they call it the "junk house," but in the show itself they called it "the junk house with the amazing kitchen."

You can't watch it online unless you buy it. :vaderno: The scroobes at YouTube want $1.99, and iTunes wants a buck more. I'd rather get it from iTunes because I don't need yet another online monstrosity to know my banking info. I won't do it anyway as I don't have the bandwidth allowance to download it without going over my monthly limit.

Here's the promo. There are three homes with runways and hangars in this episode, and to distinguish the house we built the kitchen for is watch for the one they complain that there's enough junk around the property they could build another plane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32QDX3JeIPc

Not quite what I had in mind, but it'll do the job. :lol:

And I agree wholeheartedly on the whole class reunion thing. My 10th just passed, and in spite of pressure from my parents, my sister, and some friends, I refused to go. After it was over, a friend that went said he wished he hadn't.

No regrets.

I don't see the point in having a 10 year reunion, and I know I was never contacted for that. I'm on Facebook, so I'm not that hard to track down. I wouldn't want to attend a reunion unless I could rent either a new Stingray, a Lamborghini of Diablo vintage or newer, or maybe a 2nd gen Viper. Sort of a thinly veiled effort to symbolically kick my contemporaries in the nuts and say, "Check this out: I still have all my hair and I have a car that's sexier than your cheerleader prom candy you had your senior year that now looks like a biker gang's den mother. Make fun of me now, you bucket-faced micro-phallic baboons."
:yeah:

jake10684
11-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Well, I'm not bitter or anything. I just don't care to interact with people now that I never cared to interact with then. There are a small number of people I cared to keep in touch with, and I did just that. I see no reason to pretend to enjoy myself in a group of what are, essentially, strangers. People change a LOT in even just 10 years. I don't know those people anymore, and they CERTAINLY don't know me. Plus, I'm introverted, and it's not really my idea of fun.

Ragnarok
11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Same here more or less. I had a very unpleasant school experience, so I would definitely enjoy the opportunity to vent a little. :lol:

By the way, this just got leaked…

This is Prime on the back of Grimlock. If Optimus is still roughly 35' tall like he was in the first three TF movies, that makes Grimlock 2 or 3 times bigger than any known T-Rex specimens found (Sue being the biggest I think). :blink: Dude must be monstrously big in 'bot mode.

jake10684
11-10-2013, 12:11 PM
There were other tyrannosaurs that were larger than T. Rex, but none that were THAT much larger. Is the new movie going to have the Dinobots??!

I don't know whether to be happy, or incredibly sad.

Ragnarok
11-10-2013, 02:54 PM
There were other tyrannosaurs that were larger than T. Rex, but none that were THAT much larger. Is the new movie going to have the Dinobots??!
Not to get too pedantic, but the Tyrannosaurus Rex was the biggest tyrannosaur. There were bigger theropods, like Spinosaurus Aegypticus (featured in JP3) and Charcharodontasaurus, but they weren't tyrannosaurs. :nice: I have no doubt something even bigger will be found.

And I think that JP3 got it wrong - Spinosaurus' wasn't that much bigger (yes, it was longer, but only looked a lot bigger because of that dorsal spine), could have actually been at a weight disadvantage to the Rex, and its head was somewhat delicate (very crocodile-like): it was a critter developed to take out big fish. I think a T-Rex would have taken one down. It's moot because that was a stupid piece of Hollywood flotsam and the two didn't even live during the same geological period. But what the hell do I know? I'm not a dinoboneologitricianastabulanist.

I don't know whether to be happy, or incredibly sad.
I'm with you on that one. Mickey Bay went out of his way saying he didn't want Dinobots in his Transformers movies, but when Hasbro decided they wanted another trilogy they either forced him into it or the need for something new demanded it. Knowing Bay, it could look pretty cool but it will still somehow manage to suck big time.

The one thing they have managed to keep a lid on is the new antagonist. I'm really hoping that Unicron gets his due in this next round of movies.

Ragnarok
11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Since we're on the subject of Transformers, here's Prime's new look for TF4:

He's sporting a more samurai armor look. The biggest thing that makes him unlike almost all previous versions of Prime is no pectoral windshields.

THE_JOKER
11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Nifty! he's still a truck right?

Ragnarok
11-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Behold:

Not sure I like it, but whatever.

THE_JOKER
11-11-2013, 04:10 AM
I'm not keen on the hood bulge, or the extra exhausts on the under side (if that's what it is?). But aside from that it looks cool, thanks for sharing!.

Ragnarok
11-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm not too thrilled with it either. It looks kinda bloated and swollen, like an overfed toad.

There is another semi that has shown up in a couple of pics (not the fancy black Freightliner - that's possibly Ultra Magnus), and there are some theories it's Prime incognito, like Bumblebee was in TF1 as that old run down early 70s vintage Camaro. The flames are what support that theory. What's awesome is it's a cabover like the OG Prime. I'll try to find the pic(s).

EDIT: Here they are

I'm not saying it is Optimus, but it might be.

EDIT 2: I don't know why I didn't do this first.

Ragnarok
11-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Beorn to be Wild… :lolbeat:

Here's a featurette about Beorn's house in the next Hobbit flick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bicwV1Bmcqk

jake10684
11-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Not to get too pedantic, but the Tyrannosaurus Rex was the biggest tyrannosaur. There were bigger theropods, like Spinosaurus Aegypticus (featured in JP3) and Charcharodontasaurus, but they weren't tyrannosaurs. :nice: I have no doubt something even bigger will be found.

Pedantry is perfectly acceptable in the topic of dinosaurs. And you're right. I misspoke when I said that earlier. I was tired, and I think I was actually thinking in the opposite direction; they're now saying that it's likely many of the smaller tyrannosaurs that have been 'discovered' and named, were actually juvenile T. Rexes in various states of growth. I was also incorrectly (very incorrectly) remembering a recent tyrannosaurid discovery, Lythronax argestes (http://westerndigs.org/new-species-of-tyrannosaur-king-of-gore-sheds-light-on-evolution-of-t-rex/), that I could have sworn was said to be larger than 'Rex. It was actually the oldest, not the largest.

I think the whole Torosaurus/Triceratops thing is what started people down that road. The differences between the two specimens were profound, but were determined to be the same species at different ages. Based on what we know from the fossil record, and what we can compare it to with current birds and the skeletal changes they go through from birth to adulthood, we can hypothesize that perhaps multiple "species" are no more than T. Rex at varying stages of life. Here's an article that talks briefly about this topic. (http://www.nature.com/news/palaeontology-the-truth-about-t-rex-1.13988) The section titled "Adolescent angst" is the most relevant part.

In fact, it has been observed that most (all?) of the tyrannosaur specimens we have unearthed were actually still growing at their time of death, many of them in prime growing age. It's possible that T Rex and others actually grew to be much larger, or at the very least, heavier than we currently suspect. Here's another short article on the topic. (http://www.nature.com/news/t-rex-grew-beefier-than-museum-fossils-suggest-1.14086?WT.mc_id=FBK_NatureNews)

The likelihood that a larger tyrannosaurid existed is probably about as good as the likelihood that one didn't. But unless it lived in the geologically stable parts of the planet conducive to fossil creation and preservation, we'll probably never know for sure.

But what do I know either? I'm not one of them dino-ologyeristicians either. I just make up speculative craziness about things that interest me, like all of the professionals do. :lol:

Like have you ever wondered why Dimetrodon and Spinosaurus both evolved skulls with downturned snouts and similar tooth patterns despite being separated by 160 million years and the fact that Dimetrodon wasn't even a dinosaur, and that they didn't even fill the same niche? That's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.

I kind of like dinosaurs...

THE_JOKER
11-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I like the second truck you posted, Rag. In fact I like it more than the fancy one above it lol.

FunkyHunk
11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Nice truck :nice:

Oh and can't wait for the next hobbit flick.
I just wish they'd get rid of that stupid white orc.

THE_JOKER
11-11-2013, 03:28 PM
lol you hate that thing huh, I remember you mentioning it before. I may watch that again tonight...was trying to think of something to watch.

FunkyHunk
11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
He shouldn't be in the movie altogether! stupid white doody-head orc dumdum!

We was thinking of watching it in 3d at a friends house this weekend.
That would've been fun me thinks :nice:

Ragnarok
11-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Pedantry is perfectly acceptable in the topic of dinosaurs. And you're right. I misspoke when I said that earlier. I was tired, and I think I was actually thinking in the opposite direction; they're now saying that it's likely many of the smaller tyrannosaurs that have been 'discovered' and named, were actually juvenile T. Rexes in various states of growth. I was also incorrectly (very incorrectly) remembering a recent tyrannosaurid discovery, Lythronax argestes (http://westerndigs.org/new-species-of-tyrannosaur-king-of-gore-sheds-light-on-evolution-of-t-rex/), that I could have sworn was said to be larger than 'Rex. It was actually the oldest, not the largest.
Hey no prob. :nice: I was more worried I'd come off as combative or arrogant in my post than anything.

I think the whole Torosaurus/Triceratops thing is what started people down that road. The differences between the two specimens were profound, but were determined to be the same species at different ages. Based on what we know from the fossil record, and what we can compare it to with current birds and the skeletal changes they go through from birth to adulthood, we can hypothesize that perhaps multiple "species" are no more than T. Rex at varying stages of life. Here's an article that talks briefly about this topic. (http://www.nature.com/news/palaeontology-the-truth-about-t-rex-1.13988) The section titled "Adolescent angst" is the most relevant part. Yeah, that's a whole bucket of worms that's riotous with controversy. Lack of consensus in the scientific community can seem bad (particularly in this case), but often it's ultimately a good thing because it can (hopefully) lead to better understanding of something bigger.

In fact, it has been observed that most (all?) of the tyrannosaur specimens we have unearthed were actually still growing at their time of death, many of them in prime growing age. It's possible that T Rex and others actually grew to be much larger, or at the very least, heavier than we currently suspect. Here's another short article on the topic. (http://www.nature.com/news/t-rex-grew-beefier-than-museum-fossils-suggest-1.14086?WT.mc_id=FBK_NatureNews)

The likelihood that a larger tyrannosaurid existed is probably about as good as the likelihood that one didn't. But unless it lived in the geologically stable parts of the planet conducive to fossil creation and preservation, we'll probably never know for sure.
If dinosaurs were anything like most modern reptiles (and we now know there were vastly more differences than similarities), then they may have never stopped growing. Makes one wonder what kind potential something like that could have actually reached. One day we'll know it all with no contradictory evidence, and comparing that to much of what was thought to be known is going to seem outright silly. (And I say that with all seriousness - no facetiousness or sarcasm.)

Off subject, I really liked what WETA did with the T-Rex evo "Vastatosaurus rex" in Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Like have you ever wondered why Dimetrodon and Spinosaurus both evolved skulls with downturned snouts and similar tooth patterns despite being separated by 160 million years and the fact that Dimetrodon wasn't even a dinosaur, and that they didn't even fill the same niche? That's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.
It's a case of nature filling a void. There's a specific shape, morphology, etc. that works and totally divergent critters sometimes "move" into the same territory previously occupied by something else that is now gone. If you ever have the chance, look up this video: When Pigs Ruled the Earth. Although it's dealing with periods post-dinosaur, it goes into this idea in a more scholarly and interesting fashion. I can't find it anywhere on VHS or DVD, but when it aired on TV it was one of the more interesting documentaries. Hopefully it's on some kind of video streaming service somewhere. Can't remember if it was PBS or Discovery.

I kind of like dinosaurs...If you're not into dinosaurs, you're dead inside. Or a girl. :nice:

Awesome dino pic of the day

http://www.deviantart.com/art/turkey-rex-XD-315029210

I like the second truck you posted, Rag. In fact I like it more than the fancy one above it lol.
It looks like something that was dug out of the apocalyptic rubble of what was once Detriot. :blink: It could be a bone tossed to fans who insisted that Prime was always a cab-over (ie. the G1 cartoon, original toy, etc.). It could be another TF entirely too, but my money is on "Prime in Exile."

Ragnarok
11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Nice truck :nice:

Oh and can't wait for the next hobbit flick.
I just wish they'd get rid of that stupid white orc.

It's all about giving Thorin an antagonist that he can engage with on a personal level. He can't do that with Smaug, or anything/anyone else. Smaug is like a national problem - all dwarves of that particular mountain have this guy in their way. The "other king" has to have his own demon to fight, otherwise he's just Hannibal to a Dwarven A-Team. It's drama, I guess. I'm not defending it, but that's what happened.

Ragnarok
11-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Honest Trailers needs some fact checkers working for them…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTG4P44164

BTW, Loki didn't die. Is it just me, or are these starting to get less funny? I laughed at much of it, but several points were way off. (Plus, they should have kicked Natalie Portman and that fish-faced Hipster **** in the nuts more than once.) Felt the same about their Pacific Rim HT.

Ragnarok
11-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Here's my quick evaluation of Man of Steel.

Specs:
Runtime: 2hrs 23min
Rating: PG-13
End Credits Epilogue: No.

What I liked:
The movie as a whole was pretty good. It had very, very good casting. I'm not a Superman fan, so there are certain conventions I don't hold sacred, but the actors placed into their various character slots all fit very well. Henry Cavill as Clark/Kal-El was perhaps the most inspired. You screw up who you cast to play Superman and you've ruined the movie, and they didn't do that at all. This film will make you happily forget about the eye-rollingly preposterous Donner/Reeve Superman films.

Superman also hates drones. :yeah:

What I didn't:
There are a few problems I have with it, and the most palpable one is something I can't identify. There's something about Zack Snyder's style that rubs me the wrong way. I know I'm in the minority, but I despised 300. It could have been a powerful film, but the sex (particularly Leonidas' wife "taking one for the team" because using sex to gain favor with the senate was the only thing she was capable of was a notion I felt was insultingly sexist) and the ridiculous cartoonish nature (giant rhinos and elephants, that bizarre wolf, and the Ku Klux Pimps) of the film ruined what could have been an awesome historical piece. There's no sex in MoS, but the Snyder Vibe is in there and I don't like it. It's like looking at a painting and saying, "This is awesome. I like this. Yet…why don't I like it?" I think that the reason it didn't fail IN SPITE of Snyder's direction is the writers: David Goyer and Christopher Nolan. You can have the best director and if the writing sucks, there's nothing the director can do to save it. I feel that in this case it's a matter of great writing, great casting, and great actors in the hands of mediocre direction.

I also felt Lois Lane's crass nature in her introduction into the film was uncalled for. I'll be specific: she's confronted with hostility from a US Army officer at a newly-discovered-but-ancient UFO crash site in northern Canada and counters with her own hostility, saying, "Now that we're done comparing dick sizes…" It was unnecessary and gave me a lot less incentive to empathize with her character. She can show her ambitious nature without getting obscene and insulting about it.

There's a particular aspect of the story that is upsettingly similar to that of Trans Formers 1 and 3, and The Avengers - actually probably more like TF1/3. Just replace Cybertron with Krypton, and Megatron with General Zod and you'll see what I mean.

Lastly, someone needs to get Zacky-boy a freaking Steadycam. The camera shake was not only excessive, it felt artificial. I was half-nauseated by the second act.

Other thoughts:
Is it better than what Marvel has done? Easily. The writing, casting and acting of this film exceeds the best Marvel superhero movie, even though better directors than Snyder (see Kenneth Branaugh) have been at the helm. Is it better than The Dark Knight trilogy? Not in my book. I vastly prefer Nolan's style to Snyder's. Beyond that, like I've said before, the reason Batman works as a superhero is he's NOT a superhero. Superman is Jesus and Moses wrapped in blue tights, which in this movie are more tasteful and less silly than the "red underwear on top of blue pajamas" look he's traditionally had. Jesus was the Son of God and Savior of the world, which is as supernatural as it gets. Moses was a unique man with a divine purpose and a prophet of God, who accomplished supernatural feats of his own yet was definitely not perfect. One has to approach Superman on more of an allegorical level than a literal one as a person does with Batman. It's what Superman represents that a person can identify with rather than what he really is, which requires a lot of interpretation on the part of the viewer. It's a case of "that's what I'd like to be like" instead of "put me in those circumstances and that's what I'd do." I'm not sure that makes any sense or if it's even a good argument for my case. It's not necessarily a negative thing.

When I first heard the soundtrack, I thought it was really different for Hans Zimmer. Now that I reflect on it I now recognize it's not as revolutionary for him as I first thought. The "Kent/Kansas" theme is a lot like what he did for Thelma and Louise.

The majority of the VFX was done by WETA, and it shows why they're better than ILM. Watch Metropolis get destroyed and you'll see what I mean. When you watch it and would never tell in a million years that the armor worn by Zod and Jor-El is 100% CGI and you'll see what I mean. I wish these were the guys doing Godzilla. ILM has a distinct look and movement to everything they do that's just…ILM-y. I can almost smell it in a movie. WETA's style is, I think, just better and more realistic.

The conclusion of the movie has me a little perplexed because it was fairly strange. I'm not going to spoil any of it, but those who have seen it probably know what I'm talking about. Zod does put Kal-El in a position to make a very violent and permanent decision, and when that decision is made it clearly isn't easy Kal-El to live with. It makes for a thought-provoking plot device, but I haven't quite sorted it out in my own mind.

Now that I've seen the movie, I have no doubt there's no way for Batman - especially that mentally challenged, artistically disabled and despicably LOATHSOME Ben Affleck as Wayne/Batman - can fit properly into the Superman world. Shoehorning Batman in is going to ruin it completely, and if it's Batfleck it's a GUARANTEED ****UP! (Small wonder why Chris Nolan left preproduction of the next Superman. Rumor is he hates the Affleck decision too.) The problem is the freakish box office returns Marvel got for The Avengers gave DC "the horny" for making their own ensemble muscles-in-spandex film. If the suits at WB/DC had brains that operated on oxygen rather than cash, they shouldn't induce their own Avengers because DC doesn't have any other good characters. Wonder Woman? Forget it. (Label me a sexist if you must, but I don't think Xena with an invisible jet is going to be smart move or even entertaining.) Aquaman? Give me a break. Hawkman, or whatever his name is? Now it's just getting stupid. To show some balance here, I think what Marvel is trying to do with The Avengers borders on the same level of ridiculousness. The only reason Avengers half-way worked was Whedon's well-executed focus on character. (For the record, I still dislike his vision of the Hulk. That's a character that I really scrutinize because NO ONE has gotten it right. The Letterrier/Norton Hulk was as close to "good enough" as I've seen since the Ferrigno/Bixby iteration.)

Content:
Violence: Wow. Lots, but nothing gory or too brutal except for some necks getting snapped. There are lots of Kryptonians being shot with machine gun fire, mortars and missiles with zero injury. Now, when talking about metropolitan destruction and what the damage would be like in the real world…whoa. I think we're talking 5X what Trans Formers 3 had and easily 20X what even The Avengers showed. If a few hundred thousand people weren't killed if that actually happened and I'd be shocked.
Sex/Nudity: None. There is a fairly passionate kiss between Kal-El and Lois toward the end that is as close as anything gets.
Language/Vulgarity: There's Lois Lane's aforementioned lockerroom exchange, but nothing more than PG-related fare.

Should kids see it?: There's some levels of peril and catastrophe that are likely going to disturb most kids under the age of eight or nine, so use your judgement.

Conclusion: Very good, but not perfect. I give it a conflicted four bacons out of five.

:bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance:

THE_JOKER
11-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Very nice review for Man Of Steel, Rag :chug: I plan on watching that. I also fancy taking a look at this "Gravity" movie, seems to be getting 5 stars left, right, and centre.

Ragnarok
11-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I'll catch that when it hits video. (The only thing that makes me reluctant is George "I think I'm this generation's Cary Grant" Clooney. I hate him almost as much as I do Ben Affleck.)

The only ones left on my list to get this year is RED 2 (November 26th), The Wolverine (December 3rd) and The Hobbit Extended Edition (already out). I've been told that Thor 2 and Ender's Game were both really good, and I'm sure those will be early 2014 BluRay releases.

jake10684
11-14-2013, 08:05 AM
This thread needs more dinosaurs with feathers.

http://bucultureshock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/trex2.jpg

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1367/88/1367887842991.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/b50d1d0bb7cef8caf02a4752e14c5998/tumblr_inline_mk2offduym1qz4rgp.jpg

And I've gotta throw this up here too, if only because it illustrates perfectly the epic levels of butthurt half the world seems to have over dinosaurs having feathers.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17wz5un9pz3xxjpg/original.jpg

I'm sorry, but, have you ever been chased by a rooster? How about a goose? Don't tell me things with feathers aren't terrifying. Ever stood toe-to-toe with a cassowary? How's those 3-inch deep lacerations treating you? Give an emu a tail, and less vestigial arms, and it's unmistakably a dinosaur. The feet haven't changed in tens of millions of years, and the feathers it sports are even the same as it's dinosaur ancestors.

http://emusdebuts.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/emufeet.jpg

Dinosaurs, to me, become much more threatening when I think of them as birds. Birds are stinkin' smart. It's not hard to think that raptors could have been on the same level of intelligence as a kea bird, or a crow, at the very least.

THE_JOKER
11-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Giant killer chickens.

There's a movie in there somewhere.

Ragnarok
11-14-2013, 10:48 AM
The best book on dinosaurs I've ever seen was "The Dinosaur Heresies," by Robert T. Bakker. The guy also does his own illustrations, and they're world-class art works.

Ragnarok
11-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Also…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clv7emcs84Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10

The Stray Cat
11-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Gentlemen.......

How is everyone? Doing good here, busy as hell!

So I watched Pacific Rim, I enjoyed in a classic monster movie sort of way....

As far as dinosaurs go, you can't get much cooler than Dinos. I'm hoping they go back to kicking butt in the JP World flick coming out in a year or two.

The Hobbit, yes I hope that say goodbye to Funky's favorite white trash orc soon also, but as Rag pointed out, he served a purpose in the movie. If I could change anything about the movie it would be the presentation of the Goblin King, the only thing I can figure is Jackson asked Goerge Lucas to develop a character that kids could relate too, Like Jar Jar or the Ewoks, UGH! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

The Stray Cat
11-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Gentlemen.......

How is everyone? Doing good here, busy as hell!

So I watched Pacific Rim, I enjoyed in a classic monster movie sort of way....

As far as dinosaurs go, you can't get much cooler than Dinos. I'm hoping they go back to kicking butt in the JP World flick coming out in a year or two.

The Hobbit, yes I hope that say goodbye to Funky's favorite white trash orc soon also, but as Rag pointed out, he served a purpose in the movie. If I could change anything about the movie it would be the presentation of the Goblin King, the only thing I can figure is Jackson asked Goerge Lucas to develop a character that kids could relate too, Like Jar Jar or the Ewoks, UGH! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Ragnarok
11-14-2013, 10:14 PM
He wasn't quite Jar-Jar, but he definitely didn't fit. I think he had GDT's fingerprints all over him. I can't remember exactly how I said it, but I said before that I felt he would have been more suited to running a back-alley peepshow in that faerie tale land bazar in Hell Boy 2.

Holy crap, you know, you mentioning George Lucas…can you imagine what he would have done to Lord of the Rings if he had directed it?
:vaderno:

When it comes to Star Wars, I truly believe that Lucas' story is far greater than his capacity to correctly tell it. I think that's why the best of them were directed by someone other than him (Eps. 5 and 6). Something my oldest brother said when he overheard me and my younger brother complaining about the prequel trilogy: "Lucas doesn't make movies; he makes money." Probably the best summary I've ever heard about the whole thing.

HyperMark
11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
It probably didn't help being voiced by Barry Humphries.
Dame Edna Everage, for those who don't know this famous Aussie.
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130202224761/lotr/images/a/af/The_Great_Goblin_3.jpg http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3506/436/320/243634~Dame-Edna-Everage-Posters.jpg
See the similarities?

The Stray Cat
11-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Oh my! There is a strong resemblance there!!!

@Rag, I agree... Lucas' story is more deep and expansive than he could ever tell. It's easy to see he is a money maker as many important decision, such as Jar Jar and the Ewoks were made just for kids to have characters they were suppose to enjoy so they'd have Mama buying more toys!!!

jake10684
11-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Lucas: good businessman with a deep and fantastic imagination, but poor, poor story-telling abilities.

As for The Hobbit, I'm pretty excited to see the next installment. I wasn't overly thrilled with the first in the way that I was with the LotR trilogy. But it was well made, well presented, and, in my opinion, followed the tone of the book as well as a movie-based-on-a-book can.

Creature design; any time I see Del Toro's name on...well, anything, I know I'm going to love the character design. I'm also a sucker for practical effects. I love what computers can do, and I really have no problem with the direction the industry is moving in, but models and puppets will always have a special place in my heart.

FunkyHunk
11-17-2013, 03:43 PM
What will they think of next?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apVR5Htz0K4

THE_JOKER
11-17-2013, 04:07 PM
lol I like the white flag bit.

Oggy
11-19-2013, 02:50 AM
Hi guys, how is everyone?

We went through a really bad time earlier this year, due to anti social neighbours.

The council have now moved us, we only moved 2 miles, but to a far better neighborhood.

We are still looking to move elsewhere, but are happy here for now.

The stress we went through caused us to inadvertently upset some friends, some of whom are on here.

As we de stress, we can see how the effects of the abuse we suffered affected us.

But we have our family back to being happy, now it's time to rebuild friendships.

And as you may have noticed, I'm building new rc's, after 4 years of not having any.

Spoon37
11-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Oh hai...

Welcome back Oggy :chug:

Hope the stresses are gone for you and your family - nice to see a few new builds too :nice:

I like the 'useless box' vid btw FH...there was one on youtube that went crazy if you kept switching it on, like it would spin round and try to drive itself off the table and stuff :lolbeat:

I think this might be the one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQ5LsNMXZ4

:banana:

Spoon37
11-20-2013, 02:53 AM
Oh even better, he made another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOD2-mRphTI

:lolbeat:

THE_JOKER
11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Pesky evil boxes.

The Stray Cat
11-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Good Day Gentlemen!

Oggy
11-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Good Day Gentlemen!

Good day to you sir.

THE_JOKER
11-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Good Day Gentlemen!

Awwwreet, Ed!.

Ragnarok
11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Mrs. Miller.

THE_JOKER
11-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Noticed an ad for "The Wolverine" today, popped out of nowhere....for me at least, anyone seen?.

Ragnarok
11-21-2013, 12:21 PM
I know that it will be on DVD/BluRay in the States in a week-and-a-half. Probably what the ad was for. I think it's already out in the UK.

The Stray Cat
11-21-2013, 12:24 PM
I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list of "Want to See". That along with Superman, the new Hobbit film, Free Birds, and a couple others, I better get a second job to cover the cost of movies nowadays!

THE_JOKER
11-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I know that it will be on DVD/BluRay in the States in a week-and-a-half. Probably what the ad was for. I think it's already out in the UK.

Seen the ad in one of them Christmas brochures that get stuck through the letter/mail box......5 times a week. I thought it may have been out over the pond already, I was wrong. I'll wait for someone else to watch though, I've bought a few now I thought would be good...ended up crappy.

Ed!...you're up! lol, let me know when you get it.

I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list of "Want to See". That along with Superman, the new Hobbit film, Free Birds, and a couple others, I better get a second job to cover the cost of movies nowadays!

Need a night time job now then......pole dancing?. Get a wig cheap enough. A weekly salary plus tips!!...can't be bad!.

Wait, wut?...what new Hobbit film?!?!. All I heard of was some extended version of the first?.....

Oggy
11-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Guys, I give you, my friends band, Coraya.

Richie, is the bass player, and one cool guy, he has a collection of MK1 and MK2 Escorts, and a few Cortinas.

He also has a massive collection of vintage Tamiya, and isn't afraid to use his Blazing Blazer in anger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2dHdsIzT3g

There album is available on iTunes.

The Stray Cat
11-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I'll let ya know Joker when I get it! What movies have you gotten that turned out to be crappy MAte?

@Oggy, I already do that at night, I should've clarified, I need a third job!!!!:whip:

THE_JOKER
11-21-2013, 01:02 PM
@ Ed.

Looper.
Last Stand.
Prometheus.
Bullet To The Head.
G.I Joe Retaliation.

Think that's it for recent purchases. Well Prometheus wasn't THAT bad, but after seeing the trailers, the actual movie was a bit of a let down compared to my expectations.

EDIT: It was me who said the pole dancing thing, Ed?. Not Oggy. lol

The Stray Cat
11-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Woop, Sorry Mate! I thought you said you weren't going to tell anyone about my night job.......

Looper was worth one watch. Prometheus, was just as you said...good, but a let down compared to trailers. The other three I haven't even bothered too watch, mostly on word from you guys here and others who weren't very impressed.

I'm going to watch 2 Guns this weekend, it's looks pretty cool.

THE_JOKER
11-21-2013, 01:31 PM
It slipped....my bad, Ed.

2 guns?...I shall have to google that, not heard of it before.

EDIT: Meh "Wahlberg" I'll pass, something about that guy I just can't stand.

The Stray Cat
11-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Yea, he can get annoying but some of his more shoot em up flicks have been pretty decent to watch once at least.

Ragnarok
11-21-2013, 02:46 PM
I'll take Markie-Mark any day of the week over that Man-Baby Tatum.

I agree that GI Joe Retaliation was a serious waste of time. I was so disappointed - not even The Scorpion King and Mr. Moonlighting could save it. Best part of it was when Tatum Tot got a Hellfire butt massage. :awesome:

I was hoping to see The Last Stand at some point, but I may hold off. RED 2 hits disc next Tuesday in Amurica, and I've heard a lot of good praise for it. A niece that I hold in very high regard said it was awesome (she saw it in theaters) so I trust her. Mostly. :p

THE_JOKER
11-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Ooooh yes!...RED 2! I forgot all about that one.

Off to gashmoogle a release date for us stone-age folk.

EDIT: Ooh, This coming Monday for us (Nov 25th) ...happy days!.

EDIT 2: Just been looking at an 8x8 truck video on a Taiwanese website....seen the comments and hit "translate" just for a giggle. One comment translated to: "Nigerian mother, out of the bus can not keep up this pace ............ ah, or engage in Taiwan blanket, looks very good look"

I kinda understand it.

As you were gents...

HyperMark
11-21-2013, 07:13 PM
2 Guns was pretty good, IMO worth a watch.
Wolverine, I turned it off last night after 1hr40min, I'll watch the last 40min later.
Quite slow and a little boring.

Ragnarok
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
I just purchased a DVD I know you guys wouldn't care about. :lol: It was from a show that aired on PBS during the 1980s called Smithsonian World, hosted by historian David McCullough. The episode I purchased aired about 1986 or 87 and was about painter N.C. Wyeth and his family. I have been looking for show in ANY format for YEARS! The family museum has copies available. The show was only ever available on VHS (the last one I saw on eBay went for $300+), so I suspect this is a VHS-to-DVD transfer, which is fine. I still have the copy we made from TV way back then, but it has degraded so much that I can't convert it to digital video.

It was an expensive purchase, but for me it's not only worth it to acquire this documentary, plus it helps fund an important museum dedicated to one of the most unique families in American art history. It's going to be a Christmas gift for my dad. Can't wait for it to show up. :)

The Stray Cat
11-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I forgot all about RED 2 also, really enjoyed the first one a lot.

THE_JOKER
11-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Best character in "RED" was, Malkovich tbh lol...imo.

@Rag, had to google that show, name rang a bell though! (David McCullough). It's annoying when something you enjoy becomes rare in later years, and ends up in the hands of the cash monkeys. Although for said cash monkey, I'm sure it's great!.

The Stray Cat
11-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Yea Malkovich was hilarious, that flick had a great ensemble though where they all worked together great!

I just saw that the new MAd Max will be released in May next year! WHF thats a long ways off!

THE_JOKER
11-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm not interested in the new Mad Max movie, not the same without Mr. Gibson. I WILL however take a look at the game that's being made.

The Stray Cat
11-22-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't know the guy playing Mad Max is the guy who played in Bane in the Dark Knight movie. He is a good actor so it might actually be believable!

THE_JOKER
11-22-2013, 08:00 AM
I see Mel Gibson is in it, as some sort of guest appearance perhaps?. He's listed as "A Drifter". I doubt I will watch it though. I really liked the original Mad Max movies, and to watch one without him as the lead role.....just isn't "Mad Max" in my opinion. Would be like a new Terminator film with someone different trying to fill Arnies shoes.....just doesn't sound right.

"Terminator, coming 2015.....now played by Ben Afflek".

But!!....you can let me know how it was when the times comes, Ed :)

Ragnarok
11-22-2013, 08:21 AM
@Rag, had to google that show, name rang a bell though! (David McCullough). It's annoying when something you enjoy becomes rare in later years, and ends up in the hands of the cash monkeys. Although for said cash monkey, I'm sure it's great!.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect anyone here to know or remember it. The episode that I bought was most commonly found in libraries twenty years ago, so it was kinda rare to begin with. I'm so psyched to get it. :)

I see Mel Gibson is in it, as some sort of guest appearance perhaps?. He's listed as "A Drifter". I doubt I will watch it though. I really liked the original Mad Max movies, and to watch one without him as the lead role.....just isn't "Mad Max" in my opinion. Would be like a new Terminator film with someone different trying to fill Arnies shoes.....just doesn't sound right.

"Terminator, coming 2015.....now played by Ben Afflek".

But!!....you can let me know how it was when the times comes, Ed :)

Sounds like when they tried to reboot Conan. Just didn't work. The guy they got to play Conan (Jason Mamoa?) was big and looked like the Conan from the comics, but Arnold defined the character first and anyone else playing that part is unacceptable. Kinda like Terminator Salvation. I actually liked that movie for the most part, and the easily-guessed plot twist as to was who actually was the Terminator put kind of a different slant on the whole thing. Trouble is Sam Worthington sucks. They tried to sneak Arnold's likeness in there as a fairly creepy digitally recreated head put atop Roland Kickinger's body.

Speaking of which, there are plans for another Terminator and it may take place during WW2. Arnold is rumored to be in it, but he may not be a Terminator: that part most likely will be going to Dwayne Johnson.

The Stray Cat
11-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Well when a franchise needs a boost supposedly you go get Dwayne Johnson, of course he didn't help Gi Joe from what I hear.

A terminator flick in WWII would be a pretty cool spin on it.

That is one of the biggest issues I have with hollywoods lack of originality in today's world. Many of the characters they are trying to recreate don't work because the originals were so classic that the characters are defined by the actor that played them.. Conan, Terminator, Rocky, Kevin Bacon in Footloose, the list goes on and on.....

Ragnarok
11-22-2013, 05:31 PM
I saw about a month ago that there's going to be a Ben-Hur remake. It made me feel a little dead inside. There are some movies that should never be remade, and that was one of them. (Yeah, I know that the William Wyler-directed Ben-Hur was a remake itself, but it was a remake of a silent film, so it almost doesn't count.) Some hack of questionable masculinity and no discernible talent will probably be cast as Judah Ben-Hur, like…Ben Affleck.

Meanwhile, in Alaska. We had freezing rain. Made the roads LETHAL. Did a fast shopping jaunt and fueled up. With the rain coming down it was very obvious that the roads were no place to be. So we went to work long enough to snag some paperwork, and then almost got in a wreck when we left our shop. Spent the rest of the day in bed (I'm coming down from some kind of weird flu that nailed me last Friday - had a fever of 102.7F that night). The day isn't over yet (3:30PM locally), but I probably won't accomplish anything beyond what I've already done.

We're supposed to get about six inches of snow overnight, so hopefully that will lay some traction down on the roads.

The Stray Cat
11-25-2013, 06:51 AM
We got about 3-4 inches yesterday and more expected over the next few days~! We fortunately have not had any major storms or ice so we've been lucky there.

Ragnarok
11-25-2013, 08:29 AM
We're not expected to get anything major between now and next week. Our six inches ended up being less than four. The roads were STILL nightmares. It's in the mid-20s right now, and will probably drop to low teens/upper single digits by the end of the week.

My sister moved out of state at the end of October, so we're hosting Thanksgiving for the first time in many, many years, which means a lot more effort on our end of things. Not complaining, but it's gonna be really crowded at our place.

jake10684
11-25-2013, 04:22 PM
We're under about an inch of solid ice right now. Been in the mid-20s since Thursday with rain and freezing rain almost the whole time. The campus I work on was closed today because of a power outage from ice buildup. It finally hit 34 today and a good bit of the ice has broken out of the trees, but once the temperature drops back down tonight, it'll make the roads pretty slick.

Thanksgiving is going to be absolutely insane here. My sister is getting married this weekend (to my best friend) and we have tons of family coming in starting as early as tomorrow.

Ragnarok
11-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Wow, that's going to suck hard. I know what it's like when everything is paralyzed from bad weather, and I can imagine places that aren't used to that kind of onslaught have an even more difficult time with it.

It'll be particularly dangerous during its melting phase. If you had something like sub-20F temps, the ice frosts and you get a bit more traction. When it's 30+ is when stuff gets really horrible. The roads become greased glass. Of course it eventually melts off, but during that transition it's really bad. Aggressively studded tires or chains are about the only way to get around.

HyperMark
11-26-2013, 01:12 AM
This is hitting the cinema's December 5th down here.
PG13
http://youtu.be/vP0cUBi4hwE

jake10684
11-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Made it in to work this morning in spite of the ice still on the roads. It's not losing control that worries me; it's everyone else on the road that scares me. My big 4wd truck does well enough as long as one tire can find some grip. On the interstate this morning, I saw evidence of at least 3 wrecks into the guardrails, and I only drive about 6 miles on that road.

It really is a mess for places that aren't well-prepared for weather like this. It just doesn't make financial sense to have all of the equipment when you only need to use it for a couple of days each year. TXDoT drives around and spreads a salt/gravel/chemical mix on all the bridges and overpasses, but only on the interstate. Highways and all the in-town roads are SOL. Luckily it only ever lasts a few days and then dries up, even if we continue to dip into freezing temps.

I think the longest period of time I've seen snow stay on the ground has been about a week. And I've lived out here in this area for...a cumulative total of almost 25 years. I don't mind though. I'm not a fan of the cold. I doubt I could handle anything more severe than we get here.

FunkyHunk
11-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Jake, you don't have it so bad :p
I've been driving on slippery icy roads 5 months of the year, every year since i got my license in 01.
Of course, our cars are better shod I think?

We've had 2-3 days of -1 celcius and snow, usually around 2-3ft, and then 3-5c and rain for 2-3 days for about two weeks now.

Getting a bit fed up with the whole weather thing about now.
We even had thunder and lightning three weeks ago because of the weird warmfront meets cold front thing that happened.
We rarely get thunder and lightning in the summertime, so getting it this late in the year was weird and a very rare occurrence.

On top of it all the primary variator to my quad was worn out and I've been waiting for the rebuild kit now for three weeks.
I can't plow the snow my yard without it, except for by hand, and that takes ALOT of time with the shovel :/

jake10684
11-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Oh, we definitely don't have it bad compared to a lot of the more northern world. People down here just don't know how to drive on ice, snow, or even in the rain for that matter. And I'm not even sure you can buy snow tires anywhere in this state.

I know I couldn't handle it where you live. I'd break after the first month.

Ragnarok
11-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Not to detract too much, I picked up RED2 this morning. Might have a review later this evening or tomorrow night.

THE_JOKER
11-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Annnnnnnnd I totally forgot that came out yesterday.

Oooh!...perfect chance!

Ragnarok
11-27-2013, 08:41 AM
I'll give a more comprehensive review later, but my initial impressions are very positive. In some ways it's as good as the first, and in a few others it's not quite as good. Still a VERY solid movie. John Malkovitch is definitely the heart of this series. Willis is cool, Mirren is classy, and Parker is ditzy/funny, but without Malkovitch it would be boring.

The Stray Cat
11-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Can't wait for the review Rag!

We got about 6" of the white stuff last night....it's seriously heavy wet snow....the trees and power lines are straining under its weight. Supposed to be getting another 6-10" today/tonight.

I LOVE NEW YORK!!!

BiLLy bOb
11-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Can't wait for the review Rag!

We got about 6" of the white stuff last night....it's seriously heavy wet snow....the trees and power lines are straining under its weight. Supposed to be getting another 6-10" today/tonight.

I LOVE NEW YORK!!!

lucky dogs. all i get is a steenkin flurry that's melted off by noon.

Ragnarok
11-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Okay, I have a lot to do today, so I'll make this brief. :)

RED 2

Specs:
Runtime: 1hr 57min
Rating: PG-13
Post-Credits Epilogue: No.

What I liked:
It's almost as insane as the first, but even more frenetic. Bruce Willis, John Malkovitch, Mary-Louise Parker, Hellen Mirren, and Brian Cox (briefly) all reprise their roles from the first one and their characters are consistently enough written that they still "feel" the same as the first RED. Like I said in an earlier post, Malkovitch is really the heart of this movie. There are a couple of twists that you might see coming, but the end isn't one of them. (I guessed what it was anyway.) The new bad guys are Neal McDonough (Band of Brothers, Minority Report), Byung-hun Lee (sporting a variation of the Biebster hair-do), and Anthony Hopkins. It definitely feels like an appropriate sequel, unlike the transition between Crocodile Dundee II and Crocodile Dundee in LA. The scope of the film is much larger than the first. Most of it takes place in Europe (UK, France, Russia) so it has more of a spy thriller vibe than the first. MLP's character gets to expand her horizons quite a bit because now she's involved as an actual player rather than something to be protected all the time. It gets pretty nutty because her approach to what she thinks how a covert spy type person should act is really funny. There's a lot more car action in this as well. This first only had one scene, and this has two.

What I didn't:
See the content comments.

Other Thoughts:
Cathrine Zeta-Jones is orange?!? When I first saw her I thought that maybe Mickey Bay was involved (look at Shia McBouff and Toethumb - they must've bathed in bronzer). Yeah, she's undeniably hot, but she's starting to get that "I've been under the knife once too many times" mouth. I find it very sad.

Content:
Violence: R-rated as far as I'm concerned. Lots of gun killing (including several women in the first act), showing bodies being disposed of in a bathtub with chemicals, brutal beatings, the tired convention of the bullet-proof, indestructible martial arts Asian dude, and one poor dope actually gets impaled against a wall with the legs of a chair. The casual talking about murder like it's a hobby actually got to me. I know that it's a dark comedy and this kind of thing is to be expected. The movie doesn't take itself too seriously, so I try to not let it bother me.
Vulgarity/Language: Very, VERY tame. In fact what shocked me was where I expected an invective and they didn't use it. It would be acceptable for a PG movie with the exception of one F-word that is easily missed.
Sex/Nudity: When CZJ meets up with Willis, she greets him with a kiss that looks like a tiger shark eating a horse flank. I'm shocked he still had a face after that scene. Brian Cox's character also sniffs Mirren's boot lustfully, which I thought was kinky. Other than that, none.

Should kids see it?: No. 16 and older is what I recommend. Way too over-the-top violent. Fun as it was, it felt like an R-rated movie.

Conclusion: I didn't get into any details or any plot specifics at all because I'm getting the house ready for guests, but while I think this isn't quite as good as the first overall, it's still a solid movie. I give it four bacons out of five.

:bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance:

Ragnarok
12-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Had the chance to see another movie over the weekend, so here's its review.

Turbo

Specs:
Runtime: 1hr 29min
Rating: PG
Post-Credits Epilogue: No.

What I liked:
Meh. It's hard to say a lot good about it because I found it a little irritating. Usually I'm a fan of Dreamworks' animation, but this isn't what I'd call one of their better efforts. Animation quality is quite good - equal-ish to other DW features like Over the Hedge (and several magnitudes better than anything related to the feculent Madagascar series), but the storyline is anything but original. See "What I didn't" for the bulk of my review. And before I forget, this is pinch-eyed dork Ryan Reynolds' best role ever as the eponymous protagonist. He's an okay voice actor and the biggest plus is you don't have to actually watch him.

Also, the other snails (the racing ones, not the garden ones) are very colorful character-wise and add some needed insanity to break it up a little (particularly Samuel L. Jackson's character and the one that just says "White Shadow!" after he pulls something weird).

What I didn't:
This is a blatant knock-off of a hybrid of Ratatouille and Cars with a little bit of DC's The Flash origin story. Just replace "a rat with big dreams of being a gourmet chef, who learns what he knows from watching his hero on TV, helps out a hapless guy at a restaurant" from Ratatouille with "a snail with big dreams of being a racer, who learns what he knows from watching his hero on TV, helps out a hapless guy at a restaurant," and replace "racer helps bring customers to starving businesses in Radiator Springs and competes in Piston Cup 500" with "racer helps bring customers to starving businesses in the Starlight strip mall and competes in Indianapolis 500." And a Frenchman is the villain in this, just as was the case in Ratatouille.

The Flash reference is when the main character Theo (his name before he refers to himself as Turbo) accidentally ends up on the hood of a monster-blown Camaro in a drag race and is sucked into the engine as the driver of the car injects it with Nitrous Oxide. This part isn't necessarily a criticism, but it fits with my overall argument of unoriginality. I'm not sure how else they could figure out a way for a snail to reach 200+ MPH any other way, to be fair.

Other than the snail designs (which were just fine), I felt the human character designs were almost headache-inducing. So many characters have the "bloated, excessive upper torso and back fat trucker physique" that it nearly give me chest pains and boosted my HDL number to twice my current levels to just look at them. The others you just want to punch in the face. I thought that DW's best non-Shrek efforts (Shrek had some of the most realistic "cartoony" CGI characters I've ever seen) in this regard was maybe Aliens vs. Monsters or How to Train Your Dragon. If they had even stayed within the boundaries of Over the Hedge, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad.

Bill Hader's French-Canadian accent sounds Spanish, not Francophonic. (I know this because I have a sister-in-law who's French Canadian.) This part should have gone to someone else. Maybe Dan Aykroyd? I don't dislike Hader (I liked him in Hot Rod) but I think he was miscast.

I despised the songs used in the movie. DESPISED!!! :rage:

Other Thoughts:
Some voice actors I was able to pick out immediately (like Samuel L. Jackson, Kurtwood Smith, Snoop Dogg) and plenty of others I didn't (Paul Giamatti, Michael Pea, Ken Jeong, Maya Rudolph, Bill Hader).

Content:
Violence: Very tame fare. There's the peril of snails being abducted by crows or smashed by a 7-year-old psychopath on a big wheel trike, along with the potential of Turbo being smashed by Indy cars.
Vulgarity/Language: In spite of its PG rating, I thought it was a G-rated movie in this regard. No fart jokes, no ball buster scenes, no veiled double-talk innuendos, etc.
Sex/Nudity: None.

Should kids see it?: Sure - why not? I think anyone over 12 until you hit maybe parents in their 30s who would watch with their kids might just write this off as kids' stuff and ask, "Can we watch RED 2 already?"

Conclusion: I didn't have a lot of faith in it from the beginning and just watched it because my niece let us borrow it for the weekend, and I've kind of exhausted my movies. It's not a total loss at all. It looks very good, is well voice acted (with one exception), it has a good message of "don't resign yourself to what society insists you become" non-conformity, and its sense of speed in the racing scenes is maybe even better than Cars. While it's not entirely crap, just speaking for myself, when a movie or series is pretty unapologetic in its "borrowing" of a competing company's films or source material it diminishes the validity of the effort. Definitely worth a rental if you have kids. So, since it's not a complete failure and it has some good things going for it, I give it three bacons.

:bacondance: :bacondance: :bacondance:

HyperMark
12-02-2013, 06:18 AM
http://youtu.be/OPVWy1tFXuc

The Stray Cat
12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Rag, Thanks for the reviews! I was a little skeptical about Turbo and ended up renting the Croods instead.
The Croods actually had some pretty funny moments in it. Other than the comedy though it was typical CG-animation flick, border line appropriate humor, etc.

I watched 2 Guns last night. As much as Marky Mark acts like he does in every other flick, this was actually a great movie. Now it was deep ploteed or anything like that, but if you enjoyed the first Expendables, then this is a good one to watch. For Rag, there is quite a bit of vulgarity and Paula Patton does show her breasts for about a 3 minute segment, that if you wanted to watch you could fast forward though as that part had no bearing on the movie other than character relationship building, which you already get the relationship between the two. Other than that, it's all guns and explosions.

I also took the kids to see Frozen on Thanksgiving Day. It is probably the best thing out of Disney in a long time. There wasn't any under lying agenda or statements, just good old fashion, true love's kiss, Disney story telling. The movie and the music is very well done and enjoyable and there is a lot of really good funny parts that don't lean towards inuendos and gross humor.

Ragnarok
12-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Rag, Thanks for the reviews! I was a little skeptical about Turbo and ended up renting the Croods instead.
The Croods actually had some pretty funny moments in it. Other than the comedy though it was typical CG-animation flick, border line appropriate humor, etc.
The Croods was also on my "I'm not interested" list. Turbo is pretty much devoid of any bathroom humor, so you might give it a rent and make your own decision.

I watched 2 Guns last night. As much as Marky Mark acts like he does in every other flick, this was actually a great movie. Now it was deep ploteed or anything like that, but if you enjoyed the first Expendables, then this is a good one to watch. For Rag, there is quite a bit of vulgarity and Paula Patton does show her breasts for about a 3 minute segment, that if you wanted to watch you could fast forward though as that part had no bearing on the movie other than character relationship building, which you already get the relationship between the two. Other than that, it's all guns and explosions.
Too bad about Ms. Patton. She's definitely a nice looking gal. I liked her in M:I4. I was going to skip the movie anyway.

I also took the kids to see Frozen on Thanksgiving Day. It is probably the best thing out of Disney in a long time. There wasn't any under lying agenda or statements, just good old fashion, true love's kiss, Disney story telling. The movie and the music is very well done and enjoyable and there is a lot of really good funny parts that don't lean towards inuendos and gross humor.
I've read the Frozen is maybe the beginning of a new renaissance at Disney. I might give it a look-see when it hits video.

My Wyeth Family DVD showed up Saturday. I picked it up from the mailbox this morning after my doctor appointment. I'm running it right now to make sure it's all okay. I'm pleasantly surprised so far. It's not "just a VHS transfer" as I had originally suspected. I think this is from the original source broadcast tapes, which is vastly better quality than a consumer tape.
:awesome:

EDIT: I watched it all the way through. It's an incredible transfer. It's a very interesting documentary about an exceptional artist and his family of prodigies. I can't wait to give it to my Dad on Christmas morning. :)

The Stray Cat
12-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Excellent on your Wyeth DVD you got Rag, I'm sure your father will appreciate it.

As far as Croods go, I wasn't interested either really but the kids rented it and I watched it with them and was surprised actually.

Yes it is sad for Ms. Patton that they felt she needed to be topless in that scene as it had no bearing on the movie, it was just gratuitous boobie shots. Denzel probably requested it, since he had to have his shirt off in that scene as well. :facepalm:

Yes Disney Frozen, if they keep going with this style and not over kill it, in the way they did when Toy Story exploded, Disney should have some good stuff coming out.

Ragnarok
12-05-2013, 08:39 AM
First Spider-Man 2 trailer hit this morning. I've been tricked by trailers before, so what I will say is that this is implying that it won't be as sucky as the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbp3Ra3Yp74

Some other observations. Rhino won't be a big guy in a suit - it'll be a little guy (Paul Giamatti) in a very big mech suit; there are some hints at Doctor Octopus, which may be nothing more than a fan service that goes nowhere, or it hints at Spidey 3 which may focus on the Sinister Six (I know about that series because my little brother had all the comics of that story arc); Harry Osborne's and Parker's relationship won't be anything like the Raimi/McGuire Spider-Man, which will be good since so much of the Webb/Garfield Spider-Man was just a licked finger on Raimi's mimeograph. (Anyone ever tried that? The blue ditto machines? Lick your finger and put it on any of the blue printing and it comes off on your finger.) There's also the rumor is they kill off Gwen in this to make room for marijuana…er, Mary Jane.

Ragnarok
12-08-2013, 11:59 PM
The Godzilla 2014 viral marketing is in full effect. Head over here: http://www.mutoresearch.net

There were rumors that an actual trailer would run at the beginning of The Hobbit this week. I didn't believe any of it because so many of the G-fans are a bunch of pants wetting, mascara running, crybaby fanboys that invent this crap to just get attention to their diaper-rash fueled YouTube tantrums and drecksome websites. Turns out it's probably going to happen. Here are the two videos from the viral site. They say nothing, but it's kind of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vouqMzOnFlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNNKOeQMVM

The term MUTO has only been seen before in a toy/collectable that got leaked online about a month ago, which was subsequently pulled within seconds of the leak. MUTOs was used in the context of describing whatever enemies Godzilla is facing off against, so presumably they're named after the fictional corporation that created them.

In theory, the actual first public trailer for Godzilla would hit online about the time The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug debuts in theaters later this week.

EDIT: If anyone wants to see the SDCC 2012 teaser of Godzilla, I found a Chinese website that has it. :blink: http://i.mtime.com/movietrailers/blog/7685237/

The Stray Cat
12-09-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing the new zilla flick. I hope there is a trailer at the beginning of the Hobbit. I'm going on Monday the 16th to see the Hobbit! WOOT WOOT!

HyperMark
12-09-2013, 07:55 AM
The Hobbit doesn't start till Boxing Day down here.

THE_JOKER
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing the new zilla flick. I hope there is a trailer at the beginning of the Hobbit. I'm going on Monday the 16th to see the Hobbit! WOOT WOOT!

Out here on 13th :p

I'll wait for Bluray though, cinema here full of chatter box folk stuffing their face with noisy snack packets. Oh and the "Cougher". An the couple who didn't really want to see the movie but went in anyway, and instead of watching it they are talking about their shopping plans for the next day.

The Stray Cat
12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Out here on 13th :p

I'll wait for Bluray though, cinema here full of chatter box folk stuffing their face with noisy snack packets. Oh and the "Cougher". An the couple who didn't really want to see the movie but went in anyway, and instead of watching it they are talking about their shopping plans for the next day.

That's why I go late at night so I can avoid most of those people whom I have to be retained from choking the life out of!:p

How's it going Joker?

Ragnarok
12-09-2013, 03:41 PM
You know, people would be so much happier if it weren't for other people. :lol: I totally know what you're saying. Back in '99, I went to see SW Ep1 for a second time, and school had let out for the summer. HUGE mistake. The theater I saw it in had "stadium" seating, which meant stairs instead of a ramped floor. Kids STOMPING up and down the damnable things, adults murmuring and muttering, and some ten-year-old kid who had seen it probably twelve times before acting like he was one of the spectators in the pod race, almost yelling, "Go, Anni!" :rage: WTF?!? Wasn't cute, nor funny, nor clever.

Back to the G-Man, three more vids in their viral campaign, and a drop-time for the official trailer to hit the interwebz: 10:00AM PST/1:00PM EST. It'll be 9:00AM where I am. A little bit of Christmas coming early for me. :lol: Anyway, new vids. One shows Mr. Breaking Bad/Malcom's Father (#3), another has a fast clip of Ken Watanabe (#5; presumably as Dr. Serizawa), and one showing some footage that was rumored to be in the SDCC 2013 teaser of an encounter between Godzilla and a MUTO at a major airport (#4).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGp-kSLJqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No0dhBOQ2TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw08tuklPzQ

THE_JOKER
12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
That's why I go late at night so I can avoid most of those people whom I have to be retained from choking the life out of!:p

How's it going Joker?

Do like that guy from the movie "RED". Walk round shouting "gaaaaas!". Should empty the place next time lol. I'm alrighty thanks, Ed. And yourself?...still busy with work etc?.

Man, this Hobbit talk has got me wanting to watch the first again.....hell with it...I'll watch it again in a sec.

I totally know what you're saying. Back in '99, I went to see SW Ep1 for a second time, and school had let out for the summer. HUGE mistake. The theater I saw it in had "stadium" seating, which meant stairs instead of a ramped floor. Kids STOMPING up and down the damnable things, adults murmuring and muttering, and some ten-year-old kid who had seen it probably twelve times before acting like he was one of the spectators in the pod race, almost yelling, "Go, Anni!" :rage: WTF?!? Wasn't cute, nor funny, nor clever.

They should just be thrown out tbh. Last film I seen at a cinema was Jurassic Park...the first one, haven't been back since. They should fit a device to the seats. If it senses the person in it is talking, or eating loudly...it folds up with them in it for the remainder of the film. Just a whole bunch of legs in the air an floating snack packets.

Ragnarok
12-09-2013, 09:19 PM
They should just be thrown out tbh. Last film I seen at a cinema was Jurassic Park...the first one, haven't been back since. They should fit a device to the seats. If it senses the person in it is talking, or eating loudly...it folds up with them in it for the remainder of the film. Just a whole bunch of legs in the air an floating snack packets.

I'd buy that for a dollar! :challenge:

What doublesucked was that the volume was way too low. If it had been louder, maybe the nattering naybobs and Jr. Mint monkeys would have been less grating.

THE_JOKER
12-10-2013, 05:13 AM
I'll start the prototype then, Rag. Can test it out on my nieces an nephews when they visit for Christmas.

Ragnarok
12-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Awesome. Make sure the final prototype has teeth like a bear trap. :nice:

jake10684
12-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Ya'll need some Alamo Drafthouse franchises. They're well known for kicking people out for talking and texting during movies. They also don't have "standard" theater eats, and instead have a full menu with a practically invisible waitservice and specially designed seats with tables.

Easily the best cinema experience there is, and that's not even getting into the special events they hold.

Ragnarok
12-10-2013, 09:40 AM
We have one theater in AK that is set up like that: the Bear Tooth Theatrepub (http://beartooththeatre.net/). It's owned by the same people that own the Moose's Tooth (http://moosestooth.net/), a notorious local pizza restaurant/brewhouse. I've never been to either, but the Bear Tooth is one of the movie houses that's participating in the annual Anchorage International Film Festival.

Changing gears, we're having freezing rain AGAIN. :nicolas: What makes this particularly inconvenient for us is my mother's first round of eye surgery happens this morning. Could f-up the whole thing. :rage:

jake10684
12-10-2013, 10:47 AM
We're in our second day of "frozen fog". It makes everything look pretty, but it makes the roads deadly. Just about every inch of pavement I drove on this morning was covered in black ice. I'm just glad I've got a 4x4 or I would have been in a ditch on a couple of occasions already.

The good news is that it's supposed to climb above freezing today! It'll be just warm enough, for just long enough to melt all the ice off of the trees and into the roads before it dips below freezing again to turn it all into more ice. May as well be on that ice road trucker show thing.

Ragnarok
12-10-2013, 11:05 AM
No doubt, boo, no doubt.

Anyway…uh…yeah…so…BEHOLD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUbuBrbP1g

Ragnarok
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Oh, and…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTo6yvJ5SCM

jake10684
12-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I remain cautiously optimistic about Godzilla. It could be really fantastic, but I'm prepared for the worst, just in case.

And I still watch Home Alone once a year around Christmas time, along with the first 2 Die Hard movies and a Bond marathon.

Ragnarok
12-10-2013, 11:53 AM
The good thing about Godzilla is you really don't have to aim your sights high in expectation. When considering the worst G movies ever made (Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Megalon, and Godzilla: Final Wars - all of which are still WORSE than the criminally offensive Dean/Emmerich Godzilla of 1998) as a filmmaker you'd have to go outright damn insane to make one worse.

I know that teasers and trailers (this is more the former than the latter) are often deceptive (F you and your cats, Michael Bay!), however if the tone of the trailer is consistent with that of the finished movie, this will make Pacific Rim look like Veggie Tales. I don't expect the same kind of 300-foot-tall mech anime-meets-luchador kind of brawling. I see something outright apocalyptic, which is what the metaphor of Godzilla should be, even if ultimately he's the protagonist.

Here's the plot synopsis:
An epic rebirth to Toho’s iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world’s most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity’s scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.

Kind of sounds like maybe Godzilla is a "biological" reaction from nature to something horrible that mankind has created. If that's the case, he's the equivalent to judgment, like the flood of the Old Testament.

Ragnarok
12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I know someone's going to enjoy this…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc32YdEWHzo

jake10684
12-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt like the first Hobbit movie was the extended director's cut of what should have been half as long. When all three finally come out, I'm going to re-edit them into a single 3-hour movie and forget they tried to stretch it to 9.

FunkyHunk
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
It looks like Godzilla has gotten bigger since the last movie?

Ragnar: that honest trailer was awesome :D I liked the part where the narrator struggled with the name Smaug :lol:
I'm going to the talkies this saturday with a bunch of my friends to see the second hobbit movie in 3D.
This time I didn't read the book beforehand, so maybe I'll get to enjoy the movie somewhat. At least till "god of war" turns up :p

In other news we just had the 7rd!!!!!1!1!! "freezing-temp-snowmageddon-turning-to-torrential-rain-plus-degree-flood-inducing-avalanchedanger-weather" IN A ROW!

I mean, about three four days with non stop snowing in 0 to -8 deg c, and then the weather suddenly turns to +8c with enormous amounts of rain for three to five days. 7 friggin times! BAH! Gerd Dehrmit!

Y no stable winter? Because weather.

It makes my daily 80km work commute a bit interesting to say the least.
Luckily there hasn't been any serious accidents on my stretch of road. Yet.

This happened two hours drive from me today: Newsarticle (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fremover.no%2Flokale_nyheter%2F article7037313.ece) (badly translated for your convenience, courtesy of google)

Just look at the road in that picture. I drive that every frickin day.
I guess it would be too much to hope for some good roads once in a while?

Oh, I got a job through a temp agency working in a warehouse driving a forklift.
Not bad after almost two years unemployed.
I hope it turns out to be a job I can enjoy.

The Stray Cat
12-10-2013, 03:31 PM
YEa someone goofed when they decided to stretch the Hobbit into 3 3 hour movies, it could've easily been done in one nice 3 hour package.

I'll let ya know after Monday next week when I go to see it.

Ragnarok
12-10-2013, 04:49 PM
It's all about the bottom line. Big tent pole trilogies, quadrilogies and quint…somethingorother-gies are where movie studios are making their money. It's the big-budget serial concept where you have an IP that's popular and you're able to split it into 3, 4, 5 or sometimes 6 parts and have a consistent box office haul with each and every installment that can be relied upon.

I'm all for new Middle Earth films because PJ made LotR so compelling, but I'm having a little difficult time warming up to the dwarves and their story. I definitely get Smaug, and they cast the right guy for Bilbo. But, of the dwarves, Balin and Bofur are the only ones I really like. Thorin's nothing but a bearded, brooding, monodimensional grudge monkey, and it's difficult to empathize with his character. I'm hoping that once we start seeing his Dragon Sickness (is that the right term?) he might start to show a little variation in his character. In comparison, Aragorn brooded, but he showed a lot more depth and even smiled a few times. And as for dwarves in LotR, Gimli was awesome, but it took an elf to antagonize him to bring some life into his character.

I have hope that things will get a little more interesting as Shelob's kids, Beorn, and the "shirt-onto-buttons" addition of Sauron get shown and exposited, as well as Smaug's actual presence in the film instead of being a "thing that should not be named" terror.

jake10684
12-11-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm very particular about my dragons. I'm worried Smaug will end up being too cartoony from what little I've seen. For being such a massive terror of a beast, it should really be a living embodiment of that. I like to separate my monsters from their respective movies, since creature design can shine even through the worst movies.

I'm hoping for something on the same scale and design as the ancient red dragons in the Dungeons & Dragons handbooks.

On the topic of sequels, I read an article yesterday talking about some of the questionable sequels being made. It seems that it's quickly becoming international box office earnings that are driving sequels, not so much domestic earnings. Several movies that have done rather poorly in the US did very well overseas and gained enough investors to pump out a handful of sequels, each doing worse than the one before it here, but earning a few hundred million or so overseas each time.

Stop telling me what I want to watch, Hollywood. If you'll just ask, I'll tell you exactly what I'll pay to see.

Ragnarok
12-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Here's what Smaug looks like, or at least his head and neck. This hit the intertubes a week ago. It's along the side of an Air New Zealand 777. Only speaking for myself, I'm not disappointed.

I also saw the Japanese teaser and trailer for Godzilla that was posted online by Toho. The trailer is shorter by about a full minute, and the only "new" thing they show is more screen time for Ken Watanabe, so I don't really see the need to post them. It'd be redundant with nothing really new.

jake10684
12-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Alright, I'm satisfied with the creature design at least. We'll see how the movie is.

I think I'm going to see it this weekend with my sister and my new brother-in-law-that-was-already-my-best-friend-before-he-married-my-sister, and maybe a few of their friends.

I told them they need to be sure and invite their cute, single, female friends on these group outings now that I've gotta start the whole dating thing again. I'm finally at a point where I'm ready for that, I think, but I still dread the process in a small way. May as well move on since she already has, right?

The Stray Cat
12-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Good Morning Gentlemen.. So here's a weather update for ya.....Since Tuesday at noon we have gotten over 2 feet of snow and it is still snowing at a rate of 3 inches per hour! It piles up fast at that rate!!!

THE_JOKER
12-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Good Morning Gentlemen.. So here's a weather update for ya.....Since Tuesday at noon we have gotten over 2 feet of snow and it is still snowing at a rate of 3 inches per hour! It piles up fast at that rate!!!

"Nori, get a shovel".

The Stray Cat
12-12-2013, 12:56 PM
My brother in law plowed the drive way yesterday with the Tractor 3 times. It was about 12" deep this morning leaving for work. A shovel just isnt going to cut it.
Of course here's a funny story. I'm going to work this morning and on my road there's a car stuck half way out of it's driveway in the road. Now this was VW Jetta, she tried to back out of her driveway when there was probly two feet of snow between the snow fal and the back fill form snow plows. She hung that JEtta right up. So me being the gentleman I am, trying to obtain brownie points for Santa, i Stopped to try and help. I could get the thing to budge. I asked if she had a shovel and she said she didn't! :blink: You can't live where I live and not own a shovel...... I told her she would need to call a tow truck and get towed out. No shovel....WTF??????

THE_JOKER
12-12-2013, 02:32 PM
"Nori, get a shovel" was a line from Hobbit btw lol. Just popped into my head when you mentioned about the snow.

As for the woman and her Jetta....lol, live an learn matey!.

The Stray Cat
12-13-2013, 09:22 AM
So going on the fourth day of snowfall greater than a foot. By time its done we'll have eight feet of snow. Good thing its lite and just keeps packing down, otherwise we wouldn't be able to see over the banks!

Ragnarok
12-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Just read a review of The Hobbit 2: better than the first by a ton, but the cliffhanger might tick some people off. Dunno what that means. I don't know if the big fight where the dwarves and elves finally get their stuff together and join forces is in this or the third. I'd hope it's in the third because what is left if they have the finale in the middle of the series?

The Stray Cat
12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Well I heard rumors that much of the third one is going to be the history between The Hobbit and LOTR, so Frodo growing up...(exciting)! Hopefully they focus on Suaron becoming powerful and the dark forces coming out the dark places of the world.

Spoon37
12-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Hmm.. that doesn't sound good. I mean the films based on the books were hardly flawless... so a film based not on any particular book(but perhaps the appendices?) could be great*...or a complete waste of time. :dunno:

*at least in the sense he can't screw up by missing things out because there's nothing to compare it with...hey dol merry dol rom-ba-dom-billo... *cough*

FunkyHunk
12-15-2013, 08:44 AM
I went to the talkies yesterday and saw Smaug's desolation.
It's a great flick if you havent read the book. Cause in this one they followed the book to a small degree.
New characters, lots of things that didn't happen in the book.

It's like they started changing a few things and didn't know when to stop.

Smaug was awesome though, best evil movie dragon ever!

Ragnarok
12-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Hmm.. that doesn't sound good. I mean the films based on the books were hardly flawless... so a film based not on any particular book(but perhaps the appendices?) could be great*...or a complete waste of time. :dunno:For the most part it's still good that the source material is at least Tolkien's, regardless if it was in The Hobbit book.

*at least in the sense he can't screw up by missing things out because there's nothing to compare it with...hey dol merry dol rom-ba-dom-billo... *cough*

I know I'm going to offend some of the diehards here, but TOM BOMBADIL CAN GO TO HELL!!! :rant: I don't see how he would EVER fit into the movies. Why bother destroying the ring if you can just let that singing and dancing woodsman take it? The ring doesn't affect him, so why go to all the trouble? AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

:lol:

In all seriousness, it wouldn't shock me if PJ throws the fans a bone and has Bomb Tombadil in some sort of cameo in the final installment of The Hobbit. It wouldn't shock me we never see him either, but it's something to ponder.

I went to the talkies yesterday and saw Smaug's desolation.
It's a great flick if you havent read the book. Cause in this one they followed the book to a small degree.
New characters, lots of things that didn't happen in the book.

It's like they started changing a few things and didn't know when to stop. It's all part of that filler and stuff to make it more "integral" to LotR, like bringing Legolas into all of it. With the exception of him, he's the only Woodland Realm elf featured in LotR, and since they happen to be the main faction of elves featured in The Hobbit, why not feature him? (I'm not defending their decision, just following their line of thinking.) And having Tauriel, a totally fabricated character (a la Lurtz in Fellowship), I guess she helps balance out Legolas' and Thranduil's bellicose indifference to the plight of the dwarves, plus the idea that there needs to be more strong female characters in action-oriented films these days, regardless if she was in the original source material or not. Or…something. Crap, I don't know. Why does anybody do anything? :lol:

Still, I think at PJ's vision of Middle Earth at its worst is INFINITELY SUPERIOR to the best of Harry Potter, Twilight, or any other recent fantasy franchise have to offer. I will take a grossly modified, fabricated, and even polluted version of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings ANY DAY over the rest of that insultingly feculent cinema sewage.

Smaug was awesome though, best evil movie dragon ever!
One review I read compared Smaug to a Bond villain. THAT would be interesting. :lol:

FunkyHunk
12-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Thranduil's role was more or less to be as a romantic interest, and also to be a counterpart to Legolas's "yes boss, right now boss" attitude towards the woodland king i guess.

As for what they did with Smaugs Desolation in regards to staying true to the book, I guess they used about 30%, whereas they stayed more or less 75% for the first hobbit movie.

They also chose not to show how long the journey actually took, I felt watching the movies like the timeline in both movies was about a week in elapsed time.
In the book they start out in spring or early summer and reach their destination in the fall.
Bilbo spent a few days inside the goblin tunnels, and the company spent like a week in mirkwood.
And they used almost a week to find the ledge where door under the mountain should be.
Small details like that annoyed me.

But, Smaug was a instant Homerun. :yeah:

And don't get me started on Hairy Pothead or Twiright. :censor: :puke: :facepalm:

Oh, and also:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/IMG_25411.jpg

THE_JOKER
12-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Ant-Man......? wtf.

Ragnarok
12-15-2013, 04:35 PM
WTF is right. I think Lu-Mar-casfilm-Disney-vel jumped that shark pretty hard when they greenlit that one. If they can't get The Hulk right after two movies (three if you include The Avengers) what makes anyone think they'll get something even MORE preposterous right? It's just insane. There are some comic book characters that will never work as film adaptations, and he's probably at the top of the list, right up there with the Flaming Carrot and Arm-Fall-Off Boy (who IS a REAL comic book character (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm-Fall-Off-Boy)).

I think it's funny how that banner says, "Based on the Marvel comic book." As opposed to what? Based on the kitchen appliance? Based on the adhesive that holds rear-view mirrors to the inside of windshields? Based on the drunken, crack-and-hookers-fueled rants of Toronto's mayor? I'm glad they weren't talking about those Ant Men.

THE_JOKER
12-15-2013, 05:17 PM
LOL "Arm-Fall-Off Boy" Dumbest comic character I have ever heard of.

Though there may be more, seeing as I never really read comics as a kid....other than the odd "Beano".

I even had to google "Ant-Man" to see if it was real.

The Stray Cat
12-17-2013, 06:45 AM
I'm going to see The Hobbit tonight at 7pm so I'm pretty excited aboiut seeing still, even though all of the reviews point to it being better than the first but not as accurate to the book.

There are some wierd characters out there and as Rag said Some characters just don't translate to the big screen.

Spoon37
12-17-2013, 06:49 AM
I know I'm going to offend some of the diehards here, but TOM BOMBADIL CAN GO TO HELL!!! :rant: I don't see how he would EVER fit into the movies. Why bother destroying the ring if you can just let that singing and dancing woodsman take it? The ring doesn't affect him, so why go to all the trouble? AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

In all seriousness, it wouldn't shock me if PJ throws the fans a bone and has Bomb Tombadil in some sort of cameo in the final installment of The Hobbit. It wouldn't shock me we never see him either, but it's something to ponder.

Yeha tbh this was my point, I expect a Tom Bombadil appearance even if its a cameo to....appease fans? or something? no clue but its kinda what I'm expecting from that 3rd movie.

I do agree with you, Tom is actually largely filler in LOTR - he as far as I recall plays no part later on in the books and will not leave his beloved forrest behind regardless of what is at stake. The only reason I can think to have him in the fellowship of the ring would be to give a greater impression of the time between bilbo leaving and the ring/hobbits reaching Bree - approx 17 years in the books, but it looks like an afternoon + an evening in the film.

Still, I think at PJ's vision of Middle Earth at its worst is INFINITELY SUPERIOR to the best of Harry Potter, Twilight, or any other recent fantasy franchise have to offer. I will take a grossly modified, fabricated, and even polluted version of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings ANY DAY over the rest of that insultingly feculent cinema sewage.

Agreed - he does the LOTR series very well, and its art style is pretty much right on the money. I only nit-pick on things that have some interest for me because those that don't hold my interest, I dont care about :lol:

Ragnarok
12-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Looks like a Summer full of radioactive monster lizard gods, alien machine people, and the Chimpocalypse™ is on its way. :blink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_9-3Fj3ZdI

The Stray Cat
12-19-2013, 06:51 AM
I went and saw the Hobbit on Tuesday, I would say even though it strayed from the book, page for page it was still an excellent movie and as Funk said Smaug was totally kick arse!!!

My only disappointment in the film really was the fact that the time in Mirkwood seemed rather short. There is however action almost all the way through the flick so it's pretty exctiing.

Now as far as trailers go the Dawn of the planet of the apes looks really good, the Godzilla trailer was sweet and so was the next installment of 300 Rise of an Empire.

Lots to look forward to this year!

Ragnarok
12-19-2013, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrKXH1CeXck

Ragnarok
12-19-2013, 03:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuXkXJ1fPuk

Ragnarok
12-19-2013, 03:17 PM
WHAT THE HOLY FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..........?!?!?!?!?!?!!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmKrgPr7PA8

:head:

I think someone has finally outweirded Japan. :facepalm:

THE_JOKER
12-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Hell yeah!, I loved Kung Fu Hustle! lol.

The Stray Cat
12-19-2013, 08:19 PM
So my father in law has been keeping track of his snow meter everyday since last Tuesday and in the last nine days we have received 6.5 feet of snow!!! Holy crap! I actually had to shovel my roof off on SUnday and it was up to my waiste then.

Ragnarok
12-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Sorry I'm not commenting on others' posts, nor contributing anything other than new movie trailers (this one is from yesterday and I forgot it) but too much stuff to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9a4PvzlqoQ

Added this one to The List. I'm going to actually get out from under my rock and FREAKING see the HELL out of these movies this summer! :rant: :yeah:

That's a ton more snow that we have had, Ed. You guys seem to get more than most of south central AK, save the Prince William Sound area (Cordova, Valdez, etc.) - they usually get more snow than anyone in the US.

The Stray Cat
12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
We thank Lake Erie for that!! When the lake is above freezing and cold front comes down across from Canada, it creates serious snow dumping!!!

Ragnarok
12-20-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't know what the Mat-Su valley has had officially, but I'm sure it's less than 2 feet. Anchorage has seen a lot more and they're not that far away. Much of our precipitation came from rain (temperature inversions: higher temps in the clouds, low temps on the ground). I've seen winters less snowy, but the thing is EVERY Alaskan winter is different. One year we get record amounts, the next is low snow but freakishly cold temps, etc. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Another movie that has me psyched: Transcendence. It looks like Akira meets Ghost in the Shell. (Don't say The Matrix - they stole from Tron, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Terminator's back story, and bunch from the New Testament to get their "fake reality is fake/yuo iz teh oen, lulz" crap). Directed by Wally Pfister (Christopher Nolan's director of photography - it's his debut as a director) and exec. produced by Chris Nolan's brother and writing collaborator Jonathan. Looks really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280qnrHpuc8

I need to take count of what my The List looks like for 2014:
For Sure:
Godzilla (duh)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (gonna suck, but still looking forward to it)
The Lego Movie (authentic stop motion + CGI = gotta see)
Edge of Tomorrow
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Noah
Interstellar (Chris Nolan's next movie; downside is it stars Matthew McConaughey, the World's Most Shirtless Man)
Transcendance

Maybe:
Captain America: Winter Soldier (liked the look of the trailer, but I might wait for this on video)
The Expendables 3

So…I guess that's six eight movies I want to see in theaters and not wait for video releases, with a couple in the maybe pile. Not bad. There were a couple that I definitely wanted to see this year and the year previous and never made it out. Grrrr…

I'll skip The Hobbit 3 as I'd just as soon wait for the extended release on BluRay. In truth, I'll likely wait to see Expendables 3 on vid, too.

FunkyHunk
12-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Transcendence looks like an awesome movie, deffo on my watch list.

primus2010
12-21-2013, 10:15 PM
My god.....this thread still lives on!

Ragnarok
12-22-2013, 09:41 AM
My god.....this thread still lives on!

:yeah:

In other news, I'm sorta going dark for the next couple o' weeks. Lots to do: work, getting house/food/etc. ready for Christmas, and working on some music projects.

Soif I don't get around to it on the 25th, Merry Christmas, guys.

And the Joker got away, everyone. :joker:

THE_JOKER
12-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Could you even imagine Batman trying to sing with that put on gruff voice?. Hernia by verse 2.

Have a nice holiday yourself too, Rag!. :chug:

Ragnarok
12-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Just stepping back in for a second - I realized that whoever threw that meme photo together misspelled "Bells" (it's "blls") and dropped "the" where it should be before "Joker." Oh well. :lol: It's still funny. HOWEVER! - they did use the proper "its," so they should be congratulated for that. :nice:

Have a nice holiday yourself too, Rag!. :chug:

Thank you, sir - right back at you. :nice: I hope to have a better one than last year. Had to work most of Christmas day to get some blasted job done last year. Not doing that again.

THE_JOKER
12-23-2013, 04:31 AM
Who has the broom?.

Ragnarok
12-23-2013, 09:11 AM
What I used was more like a poorly sharpened shoehorn and a keg of dynamite. :challenge:

THE_JOKER
12-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Did the job nicely lol.

HyperMark
12-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Some people aren't going to know what you're talking about.
But I do. :sht:

:nuke:

Spoon37
12-24-2013, 06:25 AM
It's Christmas Eve.... wonder if I am allowed to crack open the box of santa-banana emoticons?

ah what the heck, Merry Christmas All :woohoo:

:santanana: :santanana: :santanana: :santanana: :santanana: :santanana: :santanana: :santanana:

THE_JOKER
12-24-2013, 07:41 AM
lol same to you, Spoon. :chug:

Oggy
12-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Merry christmas guys.

THE_JOKER
12-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Aie, I hope you all have a nice Christmas and new year. All the best an stay safe :chug:

8BALL
12-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Time to kick back and relax, signing off for a while Merry Christmas folks see you in the new year :santanana:

Spoon37
12-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Merry Christmas all ^_^

Although my sis replied to my merry christmas text with a mis-spelling as "merry christmad" with a short follow up saying "oops, christmas lol!" - I feel a new meme coming on... U CHRISTMAD BRO!? :lolbeat:

:santanana:

THE_JOKER
12-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Would work for people who got something they didn't want lol

FunkyHunk
12-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Merry Christmas all ^_^

Although my sis replied to my merry christmas text with a mis-spelling as "merry christmad" with a short follow up saying "oops, christmas lol!" - I feel a new meme coming on... U CHRISTMAD BRO!? :lolbeat:

:santanana:
I second that!
Somebody should edit the "dancing joker banana" text to say Y SO CHRISTMAD?

Oh, and:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/Anim/miley.gif

THE_JOKER
12-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Sick of seeing and hearing about that woman.

HyperMark
12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
http://cdn.weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/south-african-interpreter-gif.gif

The Stray Cat
12-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Merry Christmas guys, a little late, but still Merry just the same. Been on vacation from work so I've been keeping my PC time down as well. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a Happy New YEar!

Ragnarok
12-27-2013, 06:21 PM
I had an awesome Christmas. :awesome:

Now for some more awesomenessitude!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RqpItxd8M

This movie HAS to happen! I haven't laughed this hard in a very long time!

FunkyHunk
12-28-2013, 06:31 AM
That looks like a worthwhile project to throw a few dollars towards.
It looked like a hilarious movie :)

Ragnarok
12-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Just bought myself a belated Christmas present: http://pluginguru.com/guru-products/omnipulse

The audio demo rocks. I'll be giving these a once-over in the next little while. It's my first soundbank purchase for Omnisphere. This guy has two more sets for Omnisphere that I'm drooling over, and I hope to get 'em before the holiday discount expires. :D

THE_JOKER
01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Just popped in to say I'm a serial killer, an you're all next...

So I watched "Man Of Steel" last night. (Late to the party I know)....I thought Superman was supposed to save people?. Granted he does actually save everyone on Earth....but kills god knows how many in doing so.

EDIT:

@ Rag, I love synthesizers. Have you come up with any cool tracks with it?.

The Stray Cat
01-06-2014, 06:51 AM
GUys, hope everyone had a great holiday! I did! Aside from fighting mother nature of course. Today we have forcasted, 36" of snow and -40 windchill, yes that's negative 40.....Temps are supposed to be about -5 or so with 60 mile an winds. Got to love driving in that!
hHow's everyone else's winter going so far?

Built2Bash
01-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Wow, my weather outside sounds more like summer compared to what you had just described. I won't complain about mine any time soon now hahaha. Only high 30s here with wind gusts between 20-25 mph. You know, one of these days Id actually like to take a Holiday, from 2 days before Christmas to a 2 days after New Years. Something about that has always appealed to me....anyway...

THE_JOKER
01-06-2014, 08:02 AM
GUys, hope everyone had a great holiday! I did! Aside from fighting mother nature of course. Today we have forcasted, 36" of snow and -40 windchill, yes that's negative 40.....Temps are supposed to be about -5 or so with 60 mile an winds. Got to love driving in that!
hHow's everyone else's winter going so far?

Just a fair amount of storms and flooding over here, Ed.

2012 is late! lol.

The Stray Cat
01-06-2014, 08:20 AM
HAHA MATE! You maybe right but with all of the cold and ice, I'm not sure if our boat will do either of us any good! LOL!

THE_JOKER
01-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Plan B then, skis.

Or a sub...out of budget maybe.

Seriously though -40. Got your own little ice age going over there!.

The Stray Cat
01-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Yea, I just talked to reddevildemo, he is in Wisconsin, they got the -40 windchill last night and this morning, it's a pretty big storm system and is bringing down artic air through Canada to us. The heavy snow we get is from the big lakes the cold fronts go across and accumulate moisture and then dump it on us!

THE_JOKER
01-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Having another pop at Canadians aren't you lol.

The Stray Cat
01-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Them Canadians are tough, aye! They can handle it!

Not sure if a sub is in our budget, we could build one our selves I guess, hopefully it don't leak!

THE_JOKER
01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
You test it first.

The Stray Cat
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
You test it first.

Where the hell is Waterboy when you need him?:rolling:

THE_JOKER
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Probably an ice cube judging by those temps.

The Stray Cat
01-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Yea really! I wish I had a pic to share with ya how much the snow is piled up but I'll do my best to describe it. My house sits up off the ground roughly three feet and the bottom of my front door is about 3.5 feet from the ground. The snow is currently up to the halfway point of my door and thats just from this week. It's a damn good thing the 6 feet we got two weeks ago melted and packed down.

THE_JOKER
01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
I need pics of that, Ed! lol. Sounds great!...on a snow depth perspective I mean, not great for daily life.

The Stray Cat
01-06-2014, 02:56 PM
No for daily life it sucks! It is fun to sit in your house and watch it pile up. Last week I was on Vacation and didn't have anywhere I needed to go so it was great to watch the snow just keep comin down. Now that I am back to work, UGH!!!!!!

THE_JOKER
01-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Roads been ploughed out where you are?.

The Stray Cat
01-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Luckily, we are just below the storm that has been hitting. About 20 minutes north of me it has been blizzard like conditions since late yesterday. HEre it is just extremely cold but very little snow. It is -15 this morning here and windchill is at -35. BRRRRRBBRRRRR!

THE_JOKER
01-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Extra jumper, Ed. And a flask lol.

The Stray Cat
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Yep, wore my long underwears today!! It'll be especially cold tonight after work when I have to go take care of my daughter's horse.

THE_JOKER
01-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Take care as in, food and water...or is it ill?.

The Stray Cat
01-07-2014, 01:38 PM
No, not sick, just hay and water, scoop up the poop! Still takes about 5 minutes at the least. The last week Thursday we had below zero temps and my goatee was icicles by the time I was done.

THE_JOKER
01-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Ah cool, thought you meant it was ill for a sec then.

lol, frozen goatee. Thought of dumb an dumber then, the frozen stiff part.

The Stray Cat
01-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Yea, it reminds me of that dumb movie also LOL! So yesterday and the day before were close to zero and below zero, the day after tomorrow (Saturday) it is supposed to be 55*, WTF?????

HyperMark
01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
I don't know how you guys can function in that climate.
It's rare for it to even get as cold as 0C here.
We are expecting 42C on Saturday and 40C on Sunday this week.

THE_JOKER
01-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Yea, it reminds me of that dumb movie also LOL! So yesterday and the day before were close to zero and below zero, the day after tomorrow (Saturday) it is supposed to be 55*, WTF?????

Earth wants to warm you back up, Ed. Or just mess with you lol.

The Stray Cat
01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't know how you guys can function in that climate.
It's rare for it to even get as cold as 0C here.
We are expecting 42C on Saturday and 40C on Sunday this week.

You adjust, it"s not easy in sub zero temps as everything freezes, cars and tractors are all stiff, water freezes almost instantly, and your body temperature can drop to unsafe levels really fast. It can be very dangerous. I don't mind it actually that much. As long as you dress for it, it really isn't bad.

Earth wants to warm you back up, Ed. Or just mess with you lol.

I would lean more towards option two Mate! Mama Nature is just screwing with us!!:censor:

THE_JOKER
01-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Getting you back for all the oil you take...oop!. lol just playin'!!.

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Getting you back for all the oil you take...oop!. lol just playin'!!.

I have always tried to be nice to the Mother NAture and this is the thanks I get, jeez, typical woman! :smackbutt:

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Careful, she might make a second cold spell visit lol.

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Careful, she might make a second cold spell visit lol.

After the last two, what's another one? Of course she could make it even colder!!!!!.......I'll shut up now!:censor:

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 09:56 AM
lol, I got a shovel if you wanna keep digging bud.

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 12:08 PM
lol, I got a shovel if you wanna keep digging bud.

Thanks, I obviously do well enough digging holes on my own.....just ask my wife.........:crazy:

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 12:50 PM

Well....gonna watch RED 2 again later me thinks, what was that cake thing in it btw?. Marvin eats it when it's supposedly years out of date. Looks like 3 Wagon Wheels stuck together?. Not sure if you have them over there but this is a Wagon Wheel:

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icwales2/feb2009/5/6/wagon_wheel_292974941.jpg

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 01:17 PM
THose look like moon pies here. I haven't seen Red 2 yet. I definitely need to catch that one!

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Ha!....I'm one up on you then lol. I wont say anymore on it then, I figured you would of seen it already tbh.

I enjoyed it, Moses seemed less of a professional in it compared to the last, but it was still enjoyable.

Got to pick up the Beverly Hill Cop trio on Bluray this weekend too, been wanting to watch those again for a while now!.

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm actually behind on a lot of DVD released flicks. I still haven't finished Man of Steel yet. Been too tired and too busy to sit and enjoy a good movie.

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Aie, just take over the TV one Sunday evening or something. Commandeer it as a matter of utmost importance.

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
haha, Definitely need to see Red 2 for sure. Couple others I want to see. I go through these phases once in awhile where I just don't care to watch anything.

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I do that too bud, only seen RED 2 and a few others as I bought them in the sales just after xmas.

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 02:11 PM
I keep saying I need to watch this movie or I need to work on that project but then I just sit on the couch, drool and snore! LOL!

I did build a loft bed for my 14 yr old, so that was one project checked off the list!

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Just cut out the "drool" and "snore" bit an replace it with a "movie". An that's a few more you can check off your list lol.

The Stray Cat
01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
I know....if I could just figure out how to stop that drooling, snoring, sleeping thing! LOL!

THE_JOKER
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
lol, well let me know if you ever solve it bud!. Sounds like a good time though tbh.

igotit
01-10-2014, 08:57 PM
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/sevenr341/Screenshot_2014-01-10-21-17-21_zps16f8b431.png (http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sevenr341/media/Screenshot_2014-01-10-21-17-21_zps16f8b431.png.html)

THE_JOKER
01-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Thing of beauty :drool:

Spoon37
01-13-2014, 04:13 AM
:drool:

awesome!

The Stray Cat
01-13-2014, 12:27 PM
WoW! Speaking of drooling!

Did a lot more drooling this weekend Joker! Of course I did manage to watch a movie called Savages (it is one of those worth a watch) nothing great though. I also watched Battleship again.

THE_JOKER
01-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Cool you found the time to watch something bud!. Not heard of "Savages" before though. Film I mean, I see them everyday in the street.

FunkyHunk
01-14-2014, 01:40 PM
TSC: RED 2 was a great flick, definitely worth the money.

On another note, how are you guys over the pond doing in this cold weather?
I hear it's a bit colder than usual?

The Stray Cat
01-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Cool you found the time to watch something bud!. Not heard of "Savages" before though. Film I mean, I see them everyday in the street.

You should check Savages out Joker, it's one of those like Expendables. If you watch it for nothing more than exciting entertainment and dwell on the whole story it's great! Not that the story line is bad at all though.

TSC: RED 2 was a great flick, definitely worth the money.

On another note, how are you guys over the pond doing in this cold weather?
I hear it's a bit colder than usual?

Yea I'll definitely be checking out Red 2 soon. We had some serious cold here but just like anything else if you prepare and dress right it's not a big deal.

THE_JOKER
01-15-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm still getting through others I've missed first, Ed. Had a look at it though, description of it I mean.

The Stray Cat
01-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Yea, I hear ya on trying to catch up! I have a long list to catch up on!

FunkyHunk
01-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Here's how snow plowing is done in Norway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRfcgKbzWNo

The Stray Cat
01-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Now that's how you get it done! We plow a lot with our backblade too it does a much better job than a front blade I think.

FunkyHunk
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
I have a front blade on my Polaris ATV, i think it's great for putting the snow away, when we get large amounts of it, easier to push further away.
You know?

On another note, it looks like i've got a permanent position in retail as of today.
Assistant manager at a "Spaceworld" shop. (similar to gamestop, but without the used games)
After two years with only small temporary jobs, this is a welcome happening.

The future is looking brighter than it did two months ago.

Spoon37
01-19-2014, 02:50 AM
Cool vid :chug:

Congrats on the new job FH ^_^

The Stray Cat
01-20-2014, 09:33 AM
My neighbor has a plow on his Kawasaki Mule, works good for normal snow. Trouble around here is that we get so much that after a few days you need to use the front bucket of the tractor to break back the banks so with the back blade you can kind of do both together.

Oh and congrats on the full time position Mate!

Waterboy
01-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Hmm it seems like theres a lot going on up North. Can we have a cool term for life "down under" the equator?

Not down under like Australia, but just any person who lives under the equator like me. Oh and, its about 25 here... Celsius :burnout:.

THE_JOKER
01-22-2014, 05:50 PM
On another note, it looks like i've got a permanent position in retail as of today.
Assistant manager at a "Spaceworld" shop. (similar to gamestop, but without the used games)
After two years with only small temporary jobs, this is a welcome happening.

The future is looking brighter than it did two months ago.

Nice one, all the best to ya! :chug:

The Stray Cat
01-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Hmm it seems like theres a lot going on up North. Can we have a cool term for life "down under" the equator?

Not down under like Australia, but just any person who lives under the equator like me. Oh and, its about 25 here... Celsius :burnout:.

Where the hell are you below the equator? I have a cool name for you but if I post then I might get banned!!!:whip::p

Waterboy
01-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Where the hell are you below the equator? I have a cool name for you but if I post then I might get banned!!!:whip::p

Im in a town called Curitiba in Brazil. Ive been here for about a year and a half now.:update:

Oh, the things that change when you're off the forums. You might be seeing a lot more of me soon, though. *hint hint*

THE_JOKER
01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
You might be seeing a lot more of me soon, though. *hint hint*

Well.......my new year was good while it lasted anyways..

Kidding!.

The Stray Cat
01-23-2014, 08:34 AM

Kidding!.

That "hint hint" at the end of that statement has me fearful that he is planning a trip to my neighborhood. I'm definitely scared!:huh:

Waterboy
01-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Kidding!.

Its not even the fourth year on my chinese calendar :wacko:

That "hint hint" at the end of that statement has me fearful that he is planning a trip to my neighborhood. I'm definitely scared!:huh:

Awh Ed I know you wanted to see me. Too bad I won't be in the states until July, when I head up for college. :Happybounce:

THE_JOKER
01-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Doubt he would get through that Ice wall you have anyways lol. It still there?...all the snow?.

The Stray Cat
01-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Most of the snow is still here, been zero or really close for the last four days! The snow doesn't go anywhere it just gets harder and harder. Some of the banks will be so hard this year from being packed and frozen that they may still be in my yard come July!:facepalm:

WB, what you doin down south?

THE_JOKER
01-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Well if that's the case, you got somewhere to put your beers in July!, Ed.

The Stray Cat
01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
No doubt there! It keeps my milk nice and cold when the power goes out!!! It's so cold that my dog can handle about 2 minutes before she whines about her feet and tries to walk without her feet going down. It's funny to see but I know it hurts her. I always end up carrying her out to the toilet spot, setting her down to go, then carrying her back to the house. UGH!!

THE_JOKER
01-23-2014, 04:27 PM
I can relate to that!...kinda, I had a similar thing a long time ago with my dog. Though it was new tarmac which at the time I never knew it was still hot. Seen the dog trying to sort of tip toe dance whilst whining, I looked at her wondering what was up then put my hand to the floor....yup... ended up carrying her the length of the lane we were walking down lol.

Was a German Shepard, loved her to bits!. But time takes all.

I found your milk idea both funny and creative btw!!

UK_Andy
01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Buy doggy boots

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=pawz+dog+boots&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=34728516228&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17718963731936252252&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_8whh7c3fcx_b

dman10
01-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Here in Texas we cancel school with less than a 1'' of snow on the ground.

The Stray Cat
01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
We only cancel school if you can't see across the road or it's -30 at least.

@Joker, yeah I always check the blacktop before we go walking on it. Luckily where I live I can walk on the road and she can walk in the grass on the side without burning her feet. Not much I can do with the ground and snow as cold as it is. I even have shoveled down to the ground for her and the ground is frozen and as cold as walking on the snow. Hey it does work for milk and other cold foods! I used to keep my beer cold outside all winter long, never had to use up valuable fridge space!

Ragnarok
01-24-2014, 11:19 PM
For no reason, here's a post that has nothing to do with the weather. :nicolas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRqKYXcL-2U

dman10
01-25-2014, 07:53 AM
http://republicofaustin.com/2014/01/24/8-horrifying-photos-of-austins-snow-day-snowpocalypse-2014/
They were scary times...

Waterboy
01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
@Ragnarok LOL I was just about to post that here :lol:

@Ed Im here cause my dad got offered a job down here. Just waiting (and crossing my fingers) that I get into a good Uni so I can go back to the states in July :)

THE_JOKER
01-29-2014, 08:15 AM
@Ed Im here cause my dad got offered a job down here. Just waiting (and crossing my fingers) that I get into a good Uni so I can go back to the states in July :)

Are you all still cruising around in that Motorhome?... (RV?).

You must of seen the whole country by now if you are right? lol. I need me one of them.

The Stray Cat
01-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Hey there guys! JUst got back late last night from Atlanta Ga. I was down there for a trade show for work. 2 inches of snow shut a total city for 48 hours crazy man!!

FunkyHunk
02-01-2014, 05:28 AM
Wow, that little snow paralyzed a city? Well, they are not used to it I guess?
Here we have had the driest January in recorded time. No snow, No nothing.

Just cold bare ground freezing weather. I'm a little fed up right about now.
It's like the tables have turned completely, you get lots of snow and stuff in the US, and we get nothing except freezing temps.

But the other day when driving to work I saw the sun for the first time since late october last year, so I got that going for me which is nice :nice:
The days are getting longer at last, and before long we'll have the midnight sun back for a month and a half :nice:

Oh, and I saw this video on youtube last night that I thought you guys would like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqdwQzmSHM

Oh, and Waterboy, many nice girls in Brazil?
Some of the worlds prettiest girls come from colombia and brazil. So we need pictures! Or it didn't happen!

Spoon37
02-05-2014, 04:49 AM
:lol: awesome...might share that with a couple of norweigan friends I've been gaming with, see what they think.

if it's weather updates you're after, UK seems to have rain rain rain, oh and something called wind at the moment....lots of wind and rain and rain. In fact there is severe flooding in some parts (but not where I live, because we live halfway up a hill... if water is lapping at our doorstep, the houses at the bottom of the hill will be fully submerged over their roofs... ). I don't know if this is a good thing or not though - obviously flooding is bad, but we had such a long and cold winter last year this seems like a 'mild' winter, which hopefully will give way to springtime at the proper time and not the 3rd week in June like last year where it suddenly switched to summer having missed out spring entirely :lolbeat:

BADMUTHATrUCKER
02-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Well, the national dish of hotdog is true.

Watch this...

Richard, varm plse!

Now wait...

:facepalm:

THE_JOKER
02-11-2014, 05:31 PM
*just popped in to sweep*

HyperMark
02-14-2014, 02:25 AM
I just saw this in a local video store magazine.
Could be good for a laugh. :p

http://youtu.be/v6kby7ajXO4

pardonmyn00b
02-16-2014, 01:06 PM
:wave:

THE_JOKER
02-16-2014, 02:52 PM
:wave:

Coo-eee!

Oggy
02-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Hi guys.

Sunday evening laugh for you.

Check this out.

http://www.lovethesign.com/uk/products/furniture/chairs/essence-wood/sostanza-natural-chair

That's a heck of a price for a piece of wood.:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

THE_JOKER
02-16-2014, 03:25 PM
I'll be in the local woods tommorow, with chainsaw.

minizmodder
02-17-2014, 12:39 AM
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/maxshimasu/FAIL_running_stickhorse.gif (http://s926.photobucket.com/user/maxshimasu/media/FAIL_running_stickhorse.gif.html)

FunkyHunk
02-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Oggy, if I could sell logs as chairs, I would.
But nobody around here is stupid or rich enough to actually pay for a log that price!

Oh and;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJSyY5HZNYw