PDA

View Full Version : between me an rangerboy - OFFICIAL THREAD MISSION STATEMENT POST #253

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82

Ragnarok
07-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Or maybe this is #20,000. :huh: Oh well. :lol:

Anyway, the good news about Godzilla is if a leaked future release promo from a yet-to-be-identified retailer that popped up on FaceBook earlier today is to be believed, we're only about two months away from the DVD/BluRay release: September 16th. BayFormers Age of Exstinktion lands two weeks after. Evidence…

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p526x296/10392295_661589040595760_3382296274208714715_n.jpg ?oh=6e30e0eb1af043cedb8a5f4edc05b682&oe=543BAC5D&__gda__=1413054395_c7f66537e26b848be78566e1e0f7cbf c

I know that everything up to and including Cap'n Crunch is accurate, and this looks authentic, so I'm going to assume that it's the Real McCoy even though Legendary/WB haven't made any official statement. Last week Wal-Mart gave a tentative date of November 18th, which would be a bit disappointing. I'm crossing my fingers that what I've posted is genuine.

EDIT: Found it! It's MovieStop - https://www.facebook.com/MovieStop Don't have any of those up here in Planet Alaska.

Ragnarok
07-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Just found a DVD/BluRay release date for Godzilla for UK: December 1st. :vaderno:

Source: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/godzilla/31324/godzilla-dvd-and-blu-ray-release-date-revealed

I see stuff like this and wonder if there's any real logic to having huge gaps in regional rollouts of movies on disc, or if it's more just a bunch of voodoo marketing involving tossing chicken bones up in the air and "reading" where they land.

I also wonder if the release date for the US that I found is authentic. :rage:

THE_JOKER
07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
December 1st....

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130912220545/clashofclans/images/b/b9/Minions_what.png

Ragnarok
07-16-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry I posted that. People are already calling the date BS because it's actually citing a placeholder date (something that is never right), so it'll likely be much sooner than that.

THE_JOKER
07-16-2014, 05:18 PM
lol hope so but if not...ah well, it will be worth the wait.

The Stray Cat
07-18-2014, 08:54 AM
It could easily be that late in an attempt to catch the Christmas shopping fever hype. It'll suck if its that far out but as Joker said; it'll be worth the wait.

Ragnarok
07-18-2014, 07:50 PM
I've posted this first one before, but I felt it needed to be done again to break up the monotony of DVD release date stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKuRIFqEU4

And this one I just discovered, even though it was done about the same time. :D I wish they'd done more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WovyZ4dwZP0

The Stray Cat
07-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Rag did you go see the new Transformers flick yet? I haven't either, a good friend of mine did and he said the robots and fight scenes were amazing but the rest of flick was a total bomb.

Ragnarok
07-22-2014, 08:47 AM
At one point I thought I'd make a concerted effort to go, but I decided not to. Beyond whatever my health problems happen to be, in the end I felt it was not the best way to spend my money. TF hits video two weeks after Godzilla (whose release date was officially confirmed by WB and Legendary themselves) so I can wait until then. I fully expect the typical Bay-isms and lack of depth. So I kind of grudgingly look forward to it.

Regarding that release date, it has been confirmed that the US gets Godzilla Sept. 26th on DVD/BluRay. However, it hits digital download channels August 26th! :blink:

The only other video release date that I'm really wanting to know is that of The Edge of Tomorrow. Every review I've read has said it was an incredible piece of sci-fi.

Johnny Depp's version of Lawnmower Man, called Transcendence, hits video today. I'll wait for another pay day before I pick that one up. I'm just not that anxious for it.

The Stray Cat
07-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Yea, Trancendence looks interesting and I definitely want to see it but it's not top on my list. I am planning on renting 300 Rise of an Empire this weekend, then I still want to see Edge of Tomorrow, and a couple of others.

FunkyHunk
07-27-2014, 02:47 PM
This looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akX3Is3qBpw

But... mastermind?

Ragnarok
07-28-2014, 09:32 AM
The new Mad Max will, if nothing else, be very different. It's predominantly an uninterrupted car chase for the entire film.

This was an interesting Comic Con. Lots of DC stuff (like Wonder Xena's costume), a lot of Avengers stuff (Josh Brolin is Thanos?!?), and a ton of other news that I admit I didn't pay attention to. Surprisingly, there was next to nothing regarding the next Jurassic movie. One would think this is the one big opportunity they'd have to show at least a teaser or something.

However the two things that I DID find interesting were huge to me. First was a teaser for Godzilla 2 (or whatever they intend to call it). Here's a Twitter post that describes what was shown:

And then a more descriptive post somewhere about said shadows:

Legendary has had to clarify. Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah won't all three be in G2, but rather they'll be in the coming sequels - which means they'll be spread out. Rodan, I'm okay with. Ghidorah is the Joker to Godzilla's Batman - I'm totally freaking out over this one. But Mothra? Dang it - she's among my least favorite monsters in the Godzilla movies. The tricky part is how do you make a giant insect interesting? Or even fit with what's been established style-wise and story-wise? I really wish there was an effort to do more interesting NEW monsters in future installments, like what we saw with the MUTOs. The bad news is we won't see a new G movie before 2018. Four years isn't too horrible, I guess. Gareth Edwards will have his hands full with the first Star Wars spinoff movie (it's anyone's guess as to which character he's handling - my money's on Boba Fett).

The other, is another project that Legendary is behind. The teaser got a lot of people thinking they were seeing a teaser for Jurassic World. But when it ended with a huge gorilla pounding his chest, it became clear that wasn't what it was. It's something called Skull Island - a new King Kong franchise landing in 2016. This could even be a Kong prequel, but the word "franchise" always means more than one film. Anyway, Legendary was attempting to stir up similar hype to this movie that they did with Godzilla at the 2012 SDCC. People who were horny for JW footage were pretty disappointed. I admire Legendary for their efforts, though.

I think Universal wants in BIG TIME into the seemingly growing trend of big monster movies. Technically Universal is going to be distributing the next Pacific Rim - a property that Legendary brought with them when they divorced from Warner Bros. However, Kong is wholly a Universal IP, and PR is really Legendary's and GDT's baby.

Clickbait went up EVERYWHERE once the announcement was made, making asinine headlines like, "GODZILLA VS KONG REMAKE INEVITABLE!!!" Which of course deserves a well delivered volley of "BULLSHIT!" I went on a rant over at www.godzilla-movies.com (I'm RagnarZilla - my avatar is Suspicious Fry) and I think only one person agrees with me, and the rest will petition my bannination. :lol: Even though there are some good folks there, that place has become the shortest bus around for Godzilla discussion. If anyone is interested in my stupid rant, here's the link to the news page - the comments are made at the bottom of the page: http://www.scified.com/site/godzillamovies/skull-island-coming-in-2016-godzilla-v-king-kong-planned My rant wasn't intended to be ridiculing or even angry, but I was trying to knock some sense into the mascara running, pants wetting hysteria.

Anyway, there is good news. There's (conceivably) likely going to be a new big monster movie every year for the next four years! Jurassic World in 2015 (I'm counting it in the genre - might be a stretch); Skull Island in 2016; Pacific Rim sequel in 2017 (if all goes according to plan); and the next Godzilla in 2018 (also yet to be confirmed for this date - but likely). What's amazing is Legendary has their fingers in all four movies, which is pretty wild. There's also a new Gamera film coming in 2015, but it probably won't be until '16 before it's released Stateside, and it could really, REALLY suck bad.

There were volumes of other stuff at Comic Con, but this was all I was interested in. :lol:

Ragnarok
07-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzeFFsKEt4

Ragnarok
07-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I'm totally stoked for the final Hobbit film. I thought the first was so-so but not terrible. Pt2 was awesome. Smaug MADE the movie for me as far as I'm concerned. And I know what happens to the guy for the next part (too bad), so what really intrigues me is how the Battle of the 5 Armies is going to go down, or at the very least how it's going to look. If they're accurate to the book, a lot of people are going to really get depressed if they have any emotional investment in a dwarf or…several. :lol: The only ones I find redeemable or have any empathy for are Balin and Bofur.

I'm also really curious if Thorin digs his head out of his backside, mans up, and becomes something less of an arrogant brooder, just waiting for someone to hand him his "rightful" role as king of Erebor. I also want to see how his Dragon Sickness fully manifests itself. We got a pretty good peek at it in pt2. If it doesn't happen, then a major ball will have been dropped. Regardless, I've decided that he's not just a placeholder equivalent to Aragorn in this series. He is different enough that the two, while similar in their destined path to leadership, have taken entirely different routes to get there. Aragorn was really reluctant, choosing exile for most of his life, avoiding the thing he was born to become. Thorin, on the other hand, can't seem to get his butt into the throne fast enough. He has a mean entitlement streak in him. Aragorn is the exact opposite.

Ragnarok
07-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Exactly. :nice: It's something that the book called Dragon Sickness - the lust for gold and riches. Thorin's grandpappy had it BAD, which is what brought Smaug to Erebor in the first place, which also shows that Thorin's got a bigger demon than Smaug to deal with, and interestingly, puts him on similar footing to Gollum and Bilbo with the One Ring.

Smaug even taunted Thorin behind his back when he and Bilbo were "discussing" things in the treasure chamber. Smaug said it would almost be worth Thorin getting the Arkenstone just so he could see it destroy Thorin. Outside the mountain, old Balin had to sternly remind Thorin that Bilbo was more than just a means to an end.

FunkyHunk
07-30-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm gonna go with "meh" on this one i think.

Ragnarok
07-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Damn near had a clothes dryer fire last night. I'm hoping it's the thermal cutoff sensor that blew (it's kinda like a fuse, but reacts to heat rather than electrical current). If it is, it's replaceable (provided I can find where it lives in the dryer), and then it's off to figure out why it blew. There's either a lint plug-up in the internals of the dryer, which I can fix myself, or the exhaust (which we found out a few months ago DOESN'T GO OUTSIDE - IT GOES UP INTO THE FREAKING ATTIC!!!) is plugged up, which will require a professional.

The other possibility is that something else malfunctioned, like the gas heater element, and the dryer will have to be replaced. However, there's no power going to anything, so I'm pretty sure it's the thermal cutoff sensor.

If anyone here has experience servicing a gas clothes dryer, please feel free to share your experience and any suggestions you might have.

Spoon37
08-01-2014, 05:44 AM
Actually if you watch the extended version of an unexpected journey, the bit in Rivendell is expanded alot where Elrond talks openly with Gandalf about the sickness/madness in Thorin's line and how it may effect the outcome (overheard by both Thorin and a sneaking around Bilbo...).

Kinda looking forwards to the battle of the five armies... but having read the book again recently, struggling to see how it fleshes out into a full 3 hour film even if they go in detail to the ousting of Sauron from Dol Guldur...

Can't help on the dryer sorry Rag - its a new realm for me as all of mine have been electric and have rudimentary lint/dust filters that need emptying regularly.

:banana:

Ragnarok
08-02-2014, 10:29 AM
RE: The Hobbit, I haven't seen the extended version yet. It's cool they brought it up. I'll probably splurge this fall and "catch up" on my BluRays. It's among those I want. (Desolation of Smaug extended should be out sometime before the third part hits theaters.) Gonna also try to get the whole LotR series and Star Wars on BR, as well as the rest of Futurama - including the direct-to-video shows that were made between the Fox and Comedy Central series - in October. And since there are a ton of Godzilla movies on BluRay now, as well as some that are imminent this fall, I hope to snag as many of those as I can. Campy and lame, but I still enjoy them for what they are. :)

RE: The dryer, we're going to hunker down and get a new one this coming week. Gonna be a financial strain for sure. I wasn't able to find the temp cutoff sensor, but I did take the lint trap housing out (where the lint screen sockets into). Wow. That sucker looks like a full vacuum cleaner got dumped into it. It appears to have plugged up internally. The blower motor may have been what blew the cutoff.

The Stray Cat
08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Gentlemen....

The Hobbit trailer for the BotFA looks very promising I think. I watch these as they were intended, based on the Tolkien books, not direct representations. In that mood I enjoy them completely...

As far as the Jurassic World info goes, the studio is keeping the whole hushed and trying to release sneaks to build momentum, not sure if thatw ill back fire or not. The only released info at Comic Con this year for it though was a limited edition posted.

I am very interested in seeing the new Mad Max flick, looks to be a decent take on it. I alos like the actor Tom Hardy.

I will going to see the Guardians of the Galaxy on Thursday, totally excited to see that!!!!

I have read several disappointing reviews in reference to the new Turtles flick, damn you Michael Bay!

Ragnarok
08-05-2014, 09:30 AM
It's definitely "turdles" now. Two things totally disappoint me in regard to the new TMNT: one, Toethumb as April (she's sporting version 5 of her face, and when all that cosmetic surgery collapses she's going to probably turn inside out); and two, Shredder is a robot? I guess? Wut. Da. Frunck.

Mickey Bay has a real talent for cinematography - and I say that without being facetious. His "eye" is incredible. But when it comes to everything else, like story, character development, casting…I have a really difficult time saying anything nice about him. His finest hour was The Island, where he scored not only a really good cast, but a somewhat serviceable storyline…which was 98% the same as Parts: The Clonus Horror, a low-budget horror movie about clones and organ harvesting from the mid 1970s. (That went to court over plagiarism thanks to some MST3k fans who contacted the director/writer of Parts.) Now granted, he's only producing this one, not directing. That dubious honor goes to Jonathan Liebesman, the troll that directed Wrath of the Titans, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, and Battle: Los Angeles.

There are some casting plusses that give me some hope that the movie might be a two-stars-out-of-five instead of 0/5 in the end. Will Arnett - the guy is usually comedy gold, and was awesome in Hot Rod and as Batman in The Lego Movie; Tony Shaloub cast as the voice of Splinter; and William Fitchner (although he's the guy "behind" Shredder, which totally rejects who and what Shredder is - although a Japanese actor has been cast in the part of Shredder if you look at the IMDB page for the movie). And as flat out weird as the turtles themselves are styled, their CGI-ness is very photorealistic, even in actual moving footage and not just stills. Mad props to ILM for that one.

Found a couple of articles that I just found a few moments ago over on ScreenRant about some of these things:

William Fitchner - Shredder or Not?: http://screenrant.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-william-fichtner-shredder/
Inspirations for the Turtles' Designs: http://screenrant.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2014-modeled-bill-murray-mandela-eastwood/

Ragnarok
08-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Some fun Smaug-related videos. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLLtAYEjpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBFQDEUwJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0B1KHjmxUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJLPih2gUgA

Ragnarok
08-05-2014, 05:38 PM
And because reasons…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSvTkMPB9mI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhbWIFDqQfk

Ragnarok
08-07-2014, 09:46 AM
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/photoshop/8/0/1/276801_v1.gif

FunkyHunk
08-07-2014, 02:55 PM
In other news, as of yesterday my Oculus Rift Dk2 order is PROCESSING! W00HOO!
Order ID: BK-0100XXX

Date: Mar 19, 2014 03:31 PM PDT

Status: PROCESSING: Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch.
We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.
Note: If you have multiple items in the order, it might also indicate that the remaining items are still waiting to be shipped.
Can't friggen waiht! ZOMG!

Tested did a thorough review of the DK2 whitch can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgKm8AfWhY

Can't wait for elite dangerous!
And for Skyrim, and Fallout 3 to be supported by the VorpX drivers.

I've played around a little with the new mobo, watercooling and cpu, and it seems that I accidentaly clocked the I5 4690k from 3.5 to 4.6 without any hiccups.
The CPU is stable around 50c/122f under heavy load, e.g; Watch dogs running 1920x1080 maxed out on every setting, and various 3dmark applications.
I've yet to run Prime95 in this config, but it'll be done soon.

I'm still running my 4 year old 6gb ddr3 1600mhz ram, so that is the next upgrade after I buy new tires for my Taunus.

And in regards to the tmnt flick, i may pick it up on dvd, or borrow it if I can.
I won't go out of my way to see it.

And rag, it seems that our dryer is malfunctioning too :/
Ours is an electric one though, and four years old, so it may have done it's service for long enough. But I'll try to get it fixed under warranty.

A gas clothes-dryer sounds dangerous in my book, but over here the only things that are gas-powered are ferries, hummer H2's and grills.

Ragnarok
08-07-2014, 08:53 PM
New computer performance sounds pretty rad. Let us know how the OR works. :nice:

By the way, the dryer natural gas - not gasoline/petrol. Xp

Read four reviews of TMNT. One loved it, one thought it was okay, the remaining hated it with an indescribable passion. One thing I was able to confirm was Shredder definitely isn't a robot (thankfully) - he's more of a villainous reject from an Iron Man film with no ties to Splinter or the Turtles (DAMMIT!). Another is they "Spider-Manned" it. By that, I mean that somehow the Turtles' origins are tied to the main character, April. (SPOILER: They used to be her pets, and they're pizza-obsessed because she fed them pizza as hatchlings. LOLWUT?!? :huh:) Her dad along with Fitchner's character are the guys that "made" the Turtles what they are (as was suggested HEAVILY in the original trailers) with an extraterrestrial substance (here's where the early press - and Bay himself - got confused, suggesting the Turtles were aliens, which they aren't). Why did they have to do that when we were already beaten over the head repeatedly with this stupid premise with both the Sam Raimi AND Mark Webb Spider-Man films? "Remixing" the origins to keep things new-yet-familar is fine, but it would be better if they weren't using OTHER MOVIE'S origins in place of the origins of the IP they're currently working with!!! :rant:

Oh yeah, that "main character" remark? The Turtles are secondary characters in their own movie. The weight of the film is given to Megan Fox. **** you, Bay. **** you very much. I can imagine what the writing/preproduction meetings were like.

Paramount: "Bay, we're giving you another comic book/cartoon/toy franchise. What's your pitch?"
Bay: "What are the kids into these days? What else. T¡ts, balls and masturbation jokes."
Writers: "But we're trying to write a movie about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."
Bay: "You said 'Teenage'? Perfect. Balltitsturbation it is!!!"
Paramount: "Well, you've made us $3.5B with this formula, so we don't see a problem."

This, guys, is why we can't have nice things. <_<

The "okay" review said they've devolved April from being a plucky, independent female reporter to sex-pot. Well, duh! Sex-pot is all Fegan Mox is good for. Does anyone think she's fit to play a part with the gravitas demanded for someone like Joan of Arc or Golda Meir? The silence is deafening. Nope - it's either crap like this or a pole in one of those "all female fire stations." Once more, she is the hood ornament of a Bay film because, tragically, every part she's ever taken doesn't expect more out of her. If she's really the "poor man's Angelina Jolie" as some have said she is, then you're a very poor man indeed. Jolie at least has very tangible acting skills.

The most impressive action sequence (which was universally praised - even in the "I hated it" reviews) was the snow chase scene. Like FH, I'll likely get it when it hits video, even with all of the negativity I've read and spouted off myself. And like the new Transformers, I'm sure I'll say, "Wow. That looked awesome. Why do I still hate it? Oh, that's right - there was no plot, no character, and no substance. **** you, Bay. **** you very much." This is a case of Paramount, who lost the Marvel licenses when Disney mugged them, needing a comic book franchise to exploit and milk dry as to compete with franchises from Warner/DC (when is that merger finally going to happen?), Fox (who still have several Marvel IPs hostage) and Disney.

I'm so glad that there was sanity when my most favorite childhood franchise, Godzilla, was given to someone who respected and loved the original IP.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/45b95004261c7ec23358c207492c459d/tumblr_n9yivdqq081qgm5o5o1_500.gif

The Stray Cat
08-08-2014, 07:50 AM
OK So I went and saw The Guardians of the Galaxy last night. This film is IMO amazing!!!! It has a great score, awesome soundtrack, action, adventure, space ships, guns, alien chicks (none nude or being sexual), explosions, and an awesome story line.This movie is what would happen if you combined the original Star Wars in a blender with the Last Starfighter, Indiana Jones, and a dash of the good parts of Avatar.

Pros:
The cast has a great chemistry with each other and delivers their line perfectly.
They didn't focus on Gamorra (Zoe Saldana) as a hot chick but a good looking girl that will kill you.
Dave Bautista actually some acting chops!
Fun for the whole family, there are a couple of underlying adult references, but they are so well hidden that kids won't even notice. I think I counted maybe 10 or 12 cuss words, no F-Bombs though, a couple "***" and a couple "dick" comments.
The violence was on the level of Star Wars and the death is at the burnt Anakin scene at the end of the Revenge of the Sith.
This was probably one of the most enjoyable movies I have scene in a long time, it was just plain simple fun to watch. No agendas, no politics, nothing!!

There was no Meagan Fox in it!!!!

Cons:
The villians could've been a little more involved in the movie but the main villain served mostly as a catalyst for the characters to team up as they each had some sort of beef with the guy.

Well that's about it! Definitely worht buying and watching numerous times. It is nothing like any other comic book movie that has ben made.

The Stray Cat
08-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Another for the list then....my list is getting bigger by the day, and my wallet smaller.

That's how it always seems to work isn't it?

It is definitely worth seeing Joker, it was fun to watch.

Ragnarok
08-08-2014, 09:14 AM
GotG will go on my "get it on video" list. My biggest reservation is I'm not a fan of Zoe Soldana. (I'm sorry I sound like a crabass. I will say this - I'll take her over Toethumb.) I'm also suffering from comic book movie fatigue, so even if it's a good movie (a sentiment which you and about every review I've read confirms), I'm hardly champing at the bit do see it. It'll be out around Thanksgiving/Christmas on BluRay, and I can wait until then. ;)

In reality, I probably won't see another movie in theaters until the next Godzilla. RiffTrax is savaging the 1998 Godzilla live in theaters next week, and the only theater in Alaska that's participating in the broadcast is in Anchorage (BOOO!!!), and I sorely wanted to see that.

Ragnarok
08-10-2014, 10:57 PM
I watched both Grudge Match and Noah over the weekend. Here's my short review: I hated them both. The end.

A little more detail. Grudge Match had an interesting premise (Stallone vs. DeNiro) but was hands-down the filthiest PG13 film I've ever seen. This should have been an R-rated film. I think they sneaked it past the MPAA by muting a couple of F-words and that's about it. What's sad is there was a fairly interesting story buried under all that crap. It also proved that, in spite of her age and having to put up with Alec Baldwin's assholery for nearly two decades (which would put the miles on ANYONE), Kim Basinger is still gorgeous. Wow. Anyway, I give it one-and-a-half Bacons out of Five.

:bacondance: :banana:

Noah was a very frustrating experience. It had a killer cast (Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Hopkins, Ray Winstone, and Emma Watson - who is clearly capable of doing things beyond Harry Pooter) who acted the hell out of it, the visuals were awesome, an even more awesome score by Clint Mansell. But the story…what the frunck?!? This wasn't Noah, the pre-Mosaic Prophet of the Bible, who was, through love of his fellowman, imploring the people to repent and give up their carnal and evil ways. No, this was Noah the confused, savage zealot who threatens to murder his family, who thinks that nobody is innocent enough to be worthy of being saved from the Great Flood (including his family and himself), none of which fit the profile of a true Prophet of God at all. The "Watchers", who borrow liberally from one interpretation I've seen of the Nephilim from the Old Testament, are something like Ents, only they're fallen angels who inhabit Golem-like rock bodies. :facepalm: God is also portrayed as indifferent at best, and cruel and merciless at best - an interpretation that I completely disagree with. (I will say this - there is confusion of how God is shown between the Old and New Testaments - the Old, He's wrathsome and vengeful; the New, He's full of love and encourages forgiveness. It's this dichotomy that, understandably, causes confusion with a lot of people.) I fear if I say any more about it, I could incite a theology debate and wreck this awesome thread. Let's just say that within the context of the film, I disagreed with about 90% of the entire premise being argued and leave it at that. It's pushes a very modern, environmaniac sentiment - that Man is a curse on this planet, is never capable of doing good, and his extermination is the only right thing to do for nature and the planet. WHAT?!? That wasn't why the Great Flood happened! Man's wickedness, yes, but it's not the Bambi-loving, tree-hugging, whale-kissing, hybrid-driving argument that ALL mankind was to be ended. It was a fresh start for humanity AS WELL. It reminded me a lot of the revisionist remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still from a couple years back. Anyway, others might see it as an incredible film experience, I dunno. It's a fairly brutal film as well. The most upsetting scene I recall was a pair of girls being stolen from their parents in trade for an animal, which is ripped apart in full view while it bleats out in agony. It was a CGI animal, but what was portrayed was more than I could stomach. Same score as I give Grudge Match: One-and-a-half Bacons out of Five.

:bacondance: :banana:

The Stray Cat
08-12-2014, 11:46 AM
@ Rag, I watched Noah as well last week and from a singular story view I think it was a great movie. The acting, for the characters in the movie was superb. Yes Emma did an amazing acting job. The visuals and music were excellent.

Now as you said was this anything near the story of the man that the Noah from the bible is, not even close. It showed no signs of him asking people to repent but spent a great deal of time showing him becoming more disgusted with the human race and truly thriving on their soon to be annihilation as opposed to caring for his fellow man and trying to help them. If they would've called this movie Frank or Mike and just told a story it probably would have been received a lot better than it was.

Ragnarok
08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Exactly. Just like what people said of the 1998 Godzilla, "This was a pretty good monster movie, but that wasn't Godzilla," and I think the same could be said of this. "Noah in Name Only."

Ragnarok
08-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Just a quick update on the saga of All My Clothes Dryers. I have to explain it, but it does end well.

We got our new machine last Monday afternoon. It's a very, very basic Amana (whose appliance division was consumed by Whirlpool a few years back). It got insanely hot instantly, and had a "dangerous" smell. The smell was normal, but the insane heat was not. Tried out a few dryer loads, and had the same problem with the old dryer - had to run everything two or three times. About Wednesday, we decide not to run the dryer until we could get the vent dealt with.

Earlier this year, we tried to find where the dryer vented out. Found several vents, but none went to the dryer. It had been suggested by someone in my family (my older sis, I think) that the vent might output into the attic. That's not only dangerous, but illegal - if Wasilla had building codes, that is. :facepalm: Anyway, on Thursday, as my dad and me are driving up to the house we see three vent ports on the roof (which are very difficult to see): one is a bathroom vent, another is the water (has to do with the septic setup), and the last is right over where the dryer should be. AWESOME! No need to try to get into the attic. We purchased a "LintEater" vent scrubber at Lowes, which is a helical brush with four 36" nylon rods attached in sequence. I spent that evening with the LintEater, a power screwdriver and a shopvac. Spent about an hour or so. Would have taken less, but I'm not very limber and the washer/dryer "closet" is very cramped. Even smashed the side of my head against a built-in shelf trying to get back behind everything.

Before I go any further I should mention something that happened as I was pulling the dryer out. The installation apes that delivered our new dryer and took our old one didn't use the steel segmented vent "hose" on our old dryer. This would have been fine had they not installed our new one with a mylar/foil hose! :rage: These things are freaking dangerous. They're almost as flammable as diesel-soaked burlap. I felt like calling the bastages up and asking if they intended to burn up our house. I replaced the hose on our old dryer a couple of years ago, and I only used about a third of what I bought. I made a new hose with the segmented steel stuff when I reset the new dryer.

Anyway, in the end it's all good. It dries stuff quickly without multiple runs needed. I have an un-dangerous vent hose back connecting the dryer to the vent. It's fairly quiet. Everything seems to be dandy. I'll just give the vent line a good rodding out every year and we shouldn't have any problems. :)

The Stray Cat
08-18-2014, 12:54 PM
I moved my laundry room a few years back and made my dryer exhaust as short a run as possible for that reason exactly. I can now go into the exhaust vent from the side of the house and reach pretty much to the dryer itself and clean out the built up lint. On a side note the vent for the septic through the roof is very common as well as many older set ups have exhaust vents for dryers and such that went straight into attics or basements, not a the right way for it to be done, but not all that uncommon.

Glad ya got it sorted!

Ragnarok
08-18-2014, 10:17 PM
I wish that was feasible for our setup. The only place I could do that is the garage (where lots of people have their laundry) but there's no room for that kind of shenanigans. I used nearly all 12 feet of that nylon rod, so that's a good indication of how far the heat/lint has to go to escape. What I found a little disconcerting was getting a piece of what looked like solid insulation at the vacuum hose port. <_<

Ragnarok
08-19-2014, 01:06 AM
:vaderno:

LAND LOVIN' MOTHER PIDGEON SON OF A FREAKING CRAP!!! :rage:

96639 = :nicolas:

This is what shipping a $315 keybed to Planet Alaska is going to cost me. I was expecting $100 to $150. This is the ONLY source for this keybed, too. No one else will sell me one unless I have the instrument(s) this keybed is intended to fit - and only if they fit it up for me. Such is the life for the Do It Your Damned Self craftsman. :cryin:

The Stray Cat
08-19-2014, 08:03 AM
You could drive and pick it up for that cost!

HyperMark
08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
You could drive and pick it up for that cost!

Or fly down and have a little holiday while you're there.

This is what shipping a $315 keybed to Planet Alaska is going to cost me. I was expecting $100 to $150. This is the ONLY source for this keybed, too. No one else will sell me one unless I have the instrument(s) this keybed is intended to fit - and only if they fit it up for me. Such is the life for the Do It Your Damned Self craftsman. :cryin:

Have you considered about post forwarding?
I know some people here in Australia who use it to get goods from sellers who wont post outside the USA. (should there be a comma in that sentence?)

www.alohaforwarding.com (http://www.alohaforwarding.com/)

www.shiptoalaska.com (https://www.shiptoalaska.com/index.php?do=faq)

There are probably more, these were near the top of the page when I searched.

Ragnarok
08-20-2014, 02:06 AM
I appreciate the suggestion because it's something I didn't know existed, but there's a deal breaker in the restrictions:

Are there certain items that cannot be shipped using your service?
Like all airfreight services we have limitations on what can and cannot be sent. To ensure the safety of your packages, the following items cannot be shipped using our service:

Perishable goods
…clip…
Electronics

This is definitely considered electronics. After settling down a bit, I now kind of realize why this bastage is so expensive. The piece itself is about 48" x 7" x 3", and a box for that would be a lot bigger if it's well padded (it better be!), like maybe as big as 54" x 12" x 6". It's that gnarly size that keeps the price up. I'll just have to hold my nose, gird my loins, and pay the shipping as stated. This is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of project, and since so much of this is uncharted territory, I have to expect that things are going to be asspensive.

The UPS Ground is sorta nifty how it works with AK shipments: it's ground until it hits a hub in the lower 48, then it's air all the way to AK.

FunkyHunk
08-22-2014, 03:46 PM
OMG check out the reviews on this Amazon Item, Laughed my Ar$s off :p
Let hilarity ensue :nice:

Uranium Ore For sale.

Ragnarok
08-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Most of those were awesome. :rolling: This was my favorite:

This is NOT, repeat, NOT a woman from the Ukraine. Very disappointed but can only blame myself. Please read description when sober.

Oggy
09-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Good evening gentlemen.:chug::chug::chug::chug:

2Beers
09-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Did some one say beer......... ?

Ragnarok
09-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Narp. Wuddn' me.

Oggy
09-07-2014, 07:11 AM
How's everyone doing?

I'm in the middle of teaching my wife to drive, she is quite good at it.

Old Busted Hotness
09-07-2014, 11:40 AM
In case anyone's missed it in the Gen'ral Banter section, I've pulled up the drawbridge and run the portcullis down. New members are now on Mod Approval, which should put the spam problem to bed.

Time will tell.

Ragnarok
09-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Portcullis. Now there's a word nobody though would be used on this site. :lol:

Old Busted Hotness
09-08-2014, 06:04 PM
You can tell I've been binge-watching Game of Thrones, can't you?

BADMUTHATrUCKER
09-09-2014, 03:58 AM
Naaaaaaaaaaaawwiiiu.

FunkyHunk
09-09-2014, 03:36 PM
2beers: i'm having one right now :chug:

Oggy: it's a useful skill to have. Just learn her to paralell park at the same time, it just makes life THAT much easier :p

Stu: I binge-read the book series between season 3 and 4, just to know what happened after the season finale.
I eventually ended up reading all the books.
I was intrigued, impressed, awe-inspired and angry at the end of the last book. That guy GRRM sure can write.

Over the pond, up and north in my little corner of the world time has flown by.
We've had the warmest july on record since the beginning of temperature recording.
We had a fantastic rain-less hot freakin' summer this time around. It's been freakin' awesome. Example:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/IMG_2198.jpg

That 0 degrees means freezing point, for you backwards imperial fahrenheit using geezers :P
that's 87f in that picture :nice:

I've been using the Mustang almost every day this summer, windows down and the v8 burbling, both to and from work.
We've been to a few AmCar meets and generally had a great time.
When I wasn't working though. I couldn't afford to take some vacation this year because reasons, but still have enjoyed the summer.

Now the days are getting shorter, and i'm NOT looking forward to a dark and cold winter.

Few pics from a midnight run in june:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140622_012806.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140622_012752.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140622_012746.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140622_012736.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140622_012720.jpg

Cruisin' in the summertime:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140627_110917.jpg

From one of the AmCar meets:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140820_190843.jpg

And another:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/mustang/20140830_135719.jpg

I got the Oculus Rift a month ago, and so far it's been awesome.
I've managed to get (with the vorpX injection driver) to get Bioshock infinite, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Minecraft (Minecrift), quake 1 and 2 to work on the rift.

The computer hardware upgrade I did really paid off, as i can run all the Rift DK2 demos and games flawlessly in 75fps with no stutter in the head tracking.
So far It's the best investment i've ever made in computer equipment to date.
It's not ready to replace monitors just yet, but as a headmounted display to play games and watch 3d movies in, it sure is awesome.

The screen door effect is still there but as you get used to it and focus on what you are looking at you forget it's even there.

I may start in a new job in a month or two, depending on if they offer me better pay at the new place, than what i'm already getting.

It's a similar job, selling phones and tablets/phablets for Norway's biggest cell network operator.
Same as I do today, but at the current workplace I sell games, laptops, and gaming equipment in addition to phones and such.

Oh, and the gf is two months pregnant :nice:

Phew, long update from me today.
So what's up with you guys over the big pond?

2Beers
09-09-2014, 06:07 PM
I miss going to the car shows. Looks to be some nice rides you have about. I will take any of the model "A"s or that gold fire bird convert, lol. What ya going to name the kid ? Congrats.

Bullitt
09-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Hey fellas. I hope all is going well. I've been so busy lately that I have not had the oppritunity to put my hobby first. Such is life. Work is work, the family is fine and the kids are making me old. Connor just turned 13 and is in the 8th grade. Jack is 9 and in 4th, and little Miss Em is in kindergarten. Time is really flying by.

Harry

Oggy
09-10-2014, 01:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV3TdFuQy1w

Ragnarok
09-11-2014, 09:40 AM
At the risk of having my genitals removed by the first female I see in public, I'm declaring here and now: I HATE FROZEN! It was a well animated film, and that's all I can say about it. I can also say I agree with most of this. (Some of the complaints are too much of a stretch.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvwMtWkfkJ8

Ian
09-18-2014, 04:39 PM
My girls watch this film far to much for my liking. All i can say is, thank god for headphones!!

Ragnarok
09-25-2014, 09:26 AM
I'll give my BluRay review of Godzilla this evening if anyone cares. It won't focus on the movie itself - I already did that four months ago. This would be the features, image quality, sound, etc. :nice:

Ragnarok
09-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Yes and no. The big payoff is at the end of the movie. There is a point at about a third or halfway into the movie where he's constantly there, even though you may only see his big dorsal plates sticking out of the water. Much of the movie he's being escorted by the US Navy - until he outruns them. :blink:

One thing that I think might be reasonable to keep in mind is when you have a film like this is that it's not too different from any movie that ends in a big duel - whether it's a superhero flick or a Western - and that is there must be a serious establishment of the antagonist(s) in order for the big rumble to be worth the wait. If you spent the entire movie on the hero and then just dropped a bad guy in there at the end, the climax would be thin and meaningless. There are some viewers out there with the exact number of minutes and seconds he's on-screen, and "on paper" it looks a little weak, but the action is so intense that I think that what time he is on-screen is very well used.

Having said that, I still would have loved to have seen more of him because the animation and personality they gave him was just awesome. Even if it was just a couple more minutes.

Ragnarok
09-26-2014, 12:52 AM
Okay, the BluRay review of Godzilla.

First off, I need to mention that I purchased mine at Target. It has an exclusive 30-minute featurette called "Godzilla: Rebirth of an Icon." No DVD version has this special feature. Next, this is not a review of the movie itself. Flip back a few pages in this thread to find my review. :nice:

SOUND: Awesome IF you have one of the following:
A good 2.1 or 5.1 home theater system.
A good-to-awesome set of headphones.
If you don't have anything like those, the sound won't be that dynamic. I happen to have Logitech Z-2300 2.1 active speakers that I bought in September of 2008, and the sound just KILLS! The bass on the lowest setting shook my room (not as hard as that 6.2 earlier today did - although I was at work when it happened). The vocalizations of the monsters are incredible, and are vastly better and more impactful than those of the Pacific Rim Kaiju.

IMAGE: Awesome on a good HDTV. (HOWEVER! A little too dark and hard to read on a traditional HD-CRT.) The BluRay image is SO much better than what I saw in the theater. The big San Fran rumble was easily discernible, and you can more clearly see what's happening to what monster and how. ADDENDUM: This movie really makes great demands on your viewing device. Found out from my younger brother that watching this on a phone is almost as good as trying to watch this on a potato. If you have a fairly good LCD connected to your video player or computer or whatever your watching it with, or if your laptop has a decent screen, you should do okay. I have a 32" Panasonic IPS-panel HDTV connected to my computer AND my BluRay player (a Sony PS3), and the image is wonderful.

EXTRAS: Here's where stuff actually starts to suck. NO deleted scenes. NO director commentary. NO San Diego Comic Con footage. :nicolas: The special features have a couple of interesting things that flesh out the backstory and aftermath of the Godzilla/MUTO battle spread out over 6 different short videos. The Behind-the-Scenes stuff is also a little light. The standard BluRay release, and all DVD-only releases, have four featurettes: one on Godzilla, one on the HALO jump, one on the MUTOs, and one on production design. All interesting, but full of fluff and redundant comments/clips. The Target Exclusive bonus is also quite redundant and was mildly disappointing, so unless you're a completist like me, it probably isn't worth your time if Target isn't the most convenient place to get it.

~

SUMMARY: I'm still stoked that I own this movie. It's the most awesome theater experience I've ever had (I don't get out much). However, I feel let down that so many things I was hoping for are just not there. What I fear is happening is that WB is going to "Lord of the Rings" this movie and release an extended version with all of the commentary, real documentary swag, and other crap that fans were cheated out on so that everyone gets the chance to buy it twice. There hasn't been any actual indication that this will be the case, other than the murmurings of G-fans and speculation that this could happen. I just wish that this stuff could have been part of the original release.

Ragnarok
09-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Blargh. I just checked Amazon.co.uk, and saw you guys aren't getting it for another month. Dang. :rage:

Ragnarok
09-29-2014, 10:38 PM
I noticed my local source for periodicals ain't don't be carryin' no RCCA no mo'.

Ragnarok
10-02-2014, 03:34 AM
Got me as new office chair. It rocks. That is all.

[napoleondynamite]I like your cushions. They're real big.[/napoelondynamite]

Ragnarok
10-04-2014, 11:35 AM
I picked up Transformers: Age of Extinction and Transcendence Thursday morning. I've now watched 'em both. When I have the time I might share some thoughts.

BADMUTHATrUCKER
10-08-2014, 08:32 AM
I am guessing it will be something like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz5vEfa7UvI

2Beers
10-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Roarrrr.... or Ggrrrrrr, which ever you all prefer.
Were is everybody at ? I do so love lurking on all you thoughts and shenanigins ,
Someone please spell that right at least. Shenanigans, what a word..food for thought.

Ragnarok
10-08-2014, 03:07 PM
I am guessing it will be something like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz5vEfa7UvI

Pretty close. HT totally got the jailbait angle right. (Was going to say "nailed," but that would've made things SO much worse.) Something they didn't mention was that Megantron's character was also under age in TF1, but it wasn't a specific plot device. There were some things that were an improvement over the previous three, but…I won't say anymore than that. I'll have a carefully worded diatribe later on this week. Prolly.

I also picked up Edge of Tomorrow and Good Burger, so I definitely have some catching up to do. :challenge:

Roarrrr.... or Ggrrrrrr, which ever you all prefer.
Were is everybody at ? I do so love lurking on all you thoughts and shenanigins ,
Someone please spell that right at least. Shenanigans, what a word..food for thought.

You spelled it right the 2nd time. :nice: Haven't been in the right mood to feel like contributing. I'll belch out a few noises that sound like coherent thought sometime, I'm sure.

FunkyHunk
10-08-2014, 04:36 PM
shenaginagiagish?

Ragnarok
10-09-2014, 01:27 PM
I've been having hard drive shenanigans. Found the problem and was going to remedy it with getting me a bigassed 3TB HD where I can archive everything, and then proceed to empty the original drive of everything I didn't need. So…I picked up a fairly nice USB3.0 dock/sled. However I just realized that cloning that drive over USB2.0 ('cause I don't have 3.0 on my computer) will take a couple of days. I cain't do dat. That presents two possible remedies.
One, I can buy me a PCIe USB3.0 card that will solve the problem (would be kinda nice to have, really) although it will cost me time and money since nobody up here carries that kind of thing and I'll have to order the sumbich.
Or, two, I open up my computer and brave the horrid nightmare puzzle of tangled wires, cable and cords to fish out a SATA power cable (cable management in my current case is deplorable) AND THEN try to find my stash of extra parts where my SATA data cables are hiding so that I can just run the HD inside my computer (which really makes the most sense). :nicolas: What a hemorrhoid!

I SO WISH I had the budget for a new build. :( $3K - that's all I'm askin' for!

Ragnarok
10-09-2014, 01:42 PM
This is almost worth watching all the way to the end to get Letterman's reaction. :blink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5pIpdQEr0

WTF Japan?!? WTF indeed.

Ragnarok
10-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Yes. This is how modern "top-40" music is done now. On the toilet. With autotune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-oHYTQyTEk

Ragnarok
10-16-2014, 01:46 AM

Finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow. First impressions: highly recommended. Real review sometime.

I also found a retailer that has the Japanese versions of Varan The Unbelievable and King Kong vs Godzilla on DVD. Same folks also sell Godzilla 1985 - both US and Japanese versions. Totally rockin'! They're likely originally Taiwanese or HK releases as they all have English subs. I just purchased all three a few moments ago. :nice:

Ragnarok
11-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Meanwhile, in Wasilla Alaska!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkFoajhWGx0

http://vimeo.com/110632107

I know PRECISELY where the Gangrene Gulch scenes were filmed - they're about two or three miles from our place of business. I also happen to know at least one of the Gangrene Gulch "citizens."

:nicolas:

This is being produced by local comic strip artist, Chad Carpenter, creator of Tundra, and his older brother. BluRay purchase on day one, baby!

FunkyHunk
11-05-2014, 01:56 PM
That looks like a fun movie :)

That stoner guy at 1:33 reminds me of this dude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-5F_7DwPpo

Ragnarok
11-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Surfer dude is a classic! :lol:

BADMUTHATrUCKER
11-05-2014, 05:58 PM
You have to love the small production company regional beastie films. Will be watching out for Moose.

Speaking of, I wonder if Troll Hunters ever got released with english dub? Our ancient CCT tv does not fair well with modern definition and subs.

FunkyHunk
11-10-2014, 07:32 AM
You have to love the small production company regional beastie films. Will be watching out for Moose.

Speaking of, I wonder if Troll Hunters ever got released with english dub? Our ancient CCT tv does not fair well with modern definition and subs.

I only found dvd/bluray versions with english subs.
example: ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trollhunter-Blu-ray-by-Andre-Ovredal-NEW-/390796742116?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item5afd4d0de4)

Norwegians have little interest in dubbing their own movies to other languages :p

Oh, I can't wait for this movie to hit dvd 19/11 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoI9nSlshcQ

BADMUTHATrUCKER
11-11-2014, 06:42 AM
Yeah, having the big wants for that, too :nice:

I was surprised to find that Død Snø 2 is in Engelsk... Cop out! lol

FunkyHunk
11-21-2014, 04:47 PM
We just saw børning on bluray. It was fun :)

Oh, also, a guy made an awesome timelapse video from the length and width of our glorious country.
Check it out:

http://vimeo.com/107469289

BADMUTHATrUCKER
11-28-2014, 05:37 AM
:nice:

But anyway...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/evilnorm/gifs/roffle_zpsgeneqvct.gif (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/evilnorm/media/gifs/roffle_zpsgeneqvct.gif.html)

Spoon37
11-30-2014, 04:01 AM
Awesome :nice:

Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... Just had a lot going on, and I almost failed to log in this morning (used up 4 attempts trying to recall exactly what my password was xD ).

danielk
12-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Is it just me or is the forum kinda dead?

Built2Bash
12-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Yes it has been lacking a bit of life as of late but I suspect it has to do with the holidays...always seems to start about a week before thanksgiving and lasts until mid janurary. Feels even more odd since I was out for about 6 months...time flies in that short amount of time but when other projects command attention, as does family...somethings gotta give lol but for now, here we are :beer&buddy:

danielk
12-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Have we met at one of the GCRCRCRCRCRCRCRCRCRC GTGs? I mean, not like I ever show up, but hey, it's possible.

Built2Bash
12-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Negative...honestly never been to a GTG, which is kind of sad since I'm sure its a good time. Never sat down and looked and rules and classes then tried to figure out where my rigs fell. May have to designate a truck for that one day....ill contemplate it more once I'm working on my A-1 lol

danielk
12-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Don't bother with the rules. Run what ya brung and shoot the chit. It's not all about competition. We bring all kinds of stuff. A lot of the time, it's in your back yard.

Built2Bash
12-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Good good, I tend to do better in less formal settings...in the event I end up buying this house, it does have room for a track that has already been approved by my wife lol happy wife happy life (most of the time)

Built2Bash
12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
So is anyone ready for Christmas yet or are we all guilty of procrastinating? Lol

Spoon37
12-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Kinda... :lolbeat:

I'm fairly ready, but we've had some house problems lately that have taken priority over this stuff (long story short: the damp course had gone in places, we had rising damp and associated damage, we've been dealing with fixing that and cleaning up the problems for a few weeks now).

Still everything should be ready for the 25th :santanana:

Built2Bash
12-16-2014, 04:53 PM
House problems are always the worst. It looks like after the first of the year in going to have a meeting with the landlord about these floors...allegedly they replaced the floors and put down new carpet and viny. Unfortunately though, half the plywood under said vinyl has pulled up and squeaks as well as leaving air pockets in the floor in places. Sigh...embarrassing but not much I can do about it ATM.

Ragnarok
12-24-2014, 09:16 AM
I AM THE MANDARIN!!!

FunkyHunk
12-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Happy holidays from Norway :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYM_Exy8MVI

spankrjs
01-07-2015, 09:31 AM
:tumble::tumble:

Ragnarok
01-12-2015, 07:40 PM
This just dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZoO8QVMxkk

Jus' sayin'. I'm pretty sure that's Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy at the 33 second mark. :nicolas:

Built2Bash
01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
It's hard to tell because its just a quick blip of it. But its coming out right before my birthday so I suspect that's what Ill be doing that weekend. Have to say, I don't think they could have found a better voice for Ultron...I really like James Spader. Anyone watch his show "The Blacklist"?

Ragnarok
01-16-2015, 08:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0gUbeKCUwk

FunkyHunk
01-18-2015, 10:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E53CQVabLew

duellym
01-18-2015, 06:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0gUbeKCUwk

Funny I was literally talking about this video with my friends 2 days ago... Weird

Oggy
02-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Good evening gentlemen.

2Beers
02-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Evening OGGY...
Hows life and whats the news in your parts ?

Ragnarok
02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Good evening, Mrs. Carmichael.

Oggy
02-20-2015, 01:42 AM
Doing good thanks.

We are about to move house, to one adapted for Alisons disabilities.

I recently found out that I am starting to suffer, kidney and liver damage, due to me being diabetic.

On the RC front, racing 2wd buggies is taking up most of my time.

How's everyone else?

THE_JOKER
03-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Noob status again.... :(

1 post.......hell yeah...only another 8000 or so to go lol.

EDIT: Make that 2!....almost there!.

2Beers
03-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Joker.......................
Yeah.... Man, I'm glad your back.. Missed ya bro.

THE_JOKER
03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Joker.......................
Yeah.... Man, I'm glad your back.. Missed ya bro.

Sarcasm detected lol

2Beers
03-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Sarcasm detected lol

Wouldn't have it any other way...
Post #3.. Your on your way..lol.

THE_JOKER
03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't have it any other way...
Post #3.. Your on your way..lol.

4 now, so close I can taste it.

2Beers
03-06-2015, 03:17 PM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/213/a/b/mini_wall_l_joker_by_darklaicram-d59f2o1.jpg

THE_JOKER
03-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Post #5 nice pic!. And thanks for the posting boost opportunity lol.

2Beers
03-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Anything man...just don't hurt me....ahahahaha

Seriously... Glad to have such a great caricature back.
Looking forward to the fun.

THE_JOKER
03-06-2015, 03:39 PM
I came back to get in touch with an old friend tbh, but I have unfinished models to do too!

I must get the pictures re uploaded for the odd threads I have left as they were deleted too.

But thank you for the welcome back!, 2Beers.

Ragnarok
03-08-2015, 01:03 AM
I HEFF TWELF METCHSTEEK! :head:

http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/general/misc-joewalsh.jpg

THE_JOKER
03-08-2015, 04:55 AM
Let me run that by google translate.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/vinnievonvincent/Hotrod/Capture.jpg
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/vinnievonvincent/Hotrod/images.jpg

Ragnarok
03-08-2015, 01:15 PM
http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/general/misc-strayshoppingcarts.jpg

Ragnarok
03-08-2015, 01:16 PM
http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/general/misc-dumpsterninja.jpg

2Beers
03-08-2015, 02:39 PM
rofl....Sweet...
And sound effects....
HHEEEEYYYYAAAAAAOOOIIIIIIIIEEEE.

2Beers
03-08-2015, 02:45 PM
:)
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/hogfamilyak/AK%20Stuff/OUTHOUSEII_zpsb6a996d9.jpg

Ragnarok
03-08-2015, 03:03 PM
^ I've met Chad Carpenter twice. He doesn't live that far from me. Much of his movie, Moose, was filmed about three miles from our shop.

2Beers
04-15-2015, 05:06 PM
HELLOooooooo..... (echo echo echo........)

Were did all the funny go....????
I so miss all the shenanigans that goes on in here.

Bring it back.................

duellym
04-15-2015, 06:09 PM
bananas

Built2Bash
04-15-2015, 06:28 PM
So who looks forward to avengers: Age of Ultron? And who has seen furious7?

Ragnarok
04-16-2015, 03:06 PM
HORY SHET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

2Beers
04-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Hory WOW....
Buying Two sets of tickets.. Watch in twice in Row..
AWESOME.

HyperMark
04-16-2015, 04:14 PM
More, I want MORE!!

BADMUTHATrUCKER
04-17-2015, 09:50 AM
....... wait, that's not a sand dune...

Ragnarok
04-17-2015, 11:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_wA116c5I

FunkyHunk
04-17-2015, 06:11 PM
Hory Shet indeed.
Disney better not fudge this movie up.
I've got high hopes it'll be a little better than episodes 1,2 and 3.

Yey to thumb wars btw!

Who is that "Finn" caracter? Luke or Leia's kid?

Ragnarok
04-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Finn's a black guy, so…probably neither? Or at least not Leia's/Han's kid, unless there was an adoption (as Leia was to the leader of Alderaan). We don't know who Luke paired up with yet. (Well, we do in the EU [Mara Jade], but thems not the rules these movies are playing by.) I really just don't know. Whatever, Luke's definitely talking to his kid in the opening voice over, as evidenced by his "…and you have it" statement.

Anyway, until we know more…here's Buttfleck vs. Superpooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfUnkBfdZ4

BADMUTHATrUCKER
04-19-2015, 07:39 AM
My guess is that the scavenger girl is the offspring of Leia and Han, and that's who's being addressed by Uncle Luke.

As for Finn, probably some random trooper that got a tingling in his midi-chlorian region :P

Alsos... For someone to salvage Vader's helm from the funeral pyre, it makes me assume there was a sithling fighting with the Rebels on the Forest Moon...

duellym
04-20-2015, 11:29 AM
bananas

Arcocustom
04-20-2015, 01:00 PM
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Arcocustom/Arcocustom%202015/Screen%20shot%202015-04-16%20at%2012.24.21%20PM_zpsrojxa5y6.png

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Arcocustom/Arcocustom%202015/Screen%20shot%202015-04-16%20at%2012.41.44%20PM_zpsztrzuffe.png

"...the force is strong in my family. My father has it."

More spoilers
http://www.businessinsider.com/star-wars-episode-vii-mark-hamill-felt-forced-into-returning-2015-4

Ragnarok
04-20-2015, 11:27 PM
That's Max Von Sydow's character in the concept art. He plays a mostly cyborg treasure hunter/grave robber/relic collector on Jakku (a Tatooine-like desert hellhole planet).

Arcocustom
04-21-2015, 01:09 AM
The Vicar (Max Von Sydow) ??? Most of the real stuff gets deleted really fast.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Arcocustom/Arcocustom%202015/Screen%20shot%202015-04-20%20at%2011.44.19%20PM_zpsvsagrx1x.png

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Arcocustom/Arcocustom%202015/Screen%20shot%202015-04-20%20at%2011.34.33%20PM_zpsw2hzurji.png

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Arcocustom/Arcocustom%202015/Screen%20shot%202015-04-20%20at%2011.33.40%20PM_zpsgpfkmqnk.png

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Arcocustom/Arcocustom%202015/Screen%20shot%202015-04-16%20at%2012.41.44%20PM_zpsztrzuffe.png

Luke Skywalker is said to be described as “creepy and frightening in appearance” because you supposedly can see “the fire in his eyes” behind his grizzled appearance during some scenes. Skywalker has also become somewhat deranged in his seclusion. There were also rumors that Skywalker would have turned into an evil cyborg (he already has a robotic hand after all) in the time between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Arcocustom/Arcocustom039/Screen%20shot%202015-04-20%20at%2011.53.11%20PM_zps5tkray99.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpdHED5jYUs

Ragnarok
04-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Official first pic of Jared Leto as the new Joker from Suicide Squad. I'm getting a serious Marilyn Manson vibe here.

99164 :nicolas:

I dunno. I haven't seen Leto's performance yet, and I have a feeling that I'm going to still prefer Ledger's slow-burn psycho to this.

igotit
05-02-2015, 08:16 PM
ledger done an awesome job .....probally his best role

Spoon37
05-16-2015, 02:27 AM
Nah, need the differing contact lenses (one black, one white) to really be the full Marilyn Manson look :lol: But yeah its scary close as it is:wacko:

As for Star Wars... :head:

Ragnarok
06-05-2015, 01:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmuqGWgZCc

THE_JOKER
07-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Who killed the maid? There's dust everywhere in here.

Ragnarok
07-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Almost as much dust as Interstellar.

Wish me luck, guys. I'm going to try to see Jurassic World this coming week sometime. Originally planned to see it today, but my plans were overthrown. I might try a review if I get to go. :)

THE_JOKER
07-05-2015, 01:04 AM
One of my "want to watch". Hope it's a good'n!

FunkyHunk
07-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Still haven't been to watch that one yet. I'll probably just catch that one on bluray.

So how's it going on that side of the pond?

Ragnarok
07-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I dunno. I'm in kind of a scary place. I can't say anything at the moment because we just don't have any details and I'm not ready to share what I already know. What does matter - if it goes against our interests, it will be near cataclysmic in our little sphere and I'm going to have to head for the long grass. If it goes the other way, then we live to fight another day.

THE_JOKER
07-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Damn, hope things sway your way Rag!. Sounds pretty terrible whatever it may be.

Edit: 12 posts........ Like a boss!

duellym
07-12-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm still in awe that this whole thread started over $3.00:blink:

THE_JOKER
07-13-2015, 12:40 AM
The power of money! .

:postwhore:

FunkyHunk
07-14-2015, 10:43 AM
I dunno. I'm in kind of a scary place. I can't say anything at the moment because we just don't have any details and I'm not ready to share what I already know. What does matter - if it goes against our interests, it will be near cataclysmic in our little sphere and I'm going to have to head for the long grass. If it goes the other way, then we live to fight another day.

I hope it's nothing gravely serious. Things go worse before they get better.

Damn, hope things sway your way Rag!. Sounds pretty terrible whatever it may be.

Edit: 12 posts........ Like a boss!

Who are you again? :lolbeat:

I'm still in awe that this whole thread started over $3.00:blink:
Oh yes,m this thread has been around the block a few times :p
Stupidity is a strong driveforce.
If we could harness the power of stupidity we would have colonized our entire galaxy by now.

The power of money! .

:postwhore:

On another note, a few pages back I let it slip that I was going to be a father.
Well, I became one. Overnight :p

She came 26th of April after an intensive 22hour labour healthy and perfect, our little girl weighing 4870grams/10.7365122lbs and 52cm/20.4724409 inches.

It was the weirdest feeling I've ever felt. Also greatest :p

Here I'm taking her home from the hospital:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/Randi2.jpg

Here she is 9 weeks later, pretty like her mama:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/randi.jpg

We're pretty happy now, tired, but happy :)

THE_JOKER
07-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Lulz Congrats on the new dwarf!.

Edit: Might play 9,000 bottles of beer on the wall by myself, to get the post count up.

2Beers
07-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Lulz Congrats on the new dwarf!.

Edit: Might play 9,000 bottles of beer on the wall by myself, to get the post count up.

Beer... someone say Beer...?

Ragnarok
07-14-2015, 06:41 PM

I hope it's nothing gravely serious. Things go worse before they get better.
Well, we found out what was going on. I can't get into any real details other than this: some unforeseen circumstances about the ownership of the building we rent for our business. There was a possibility that it'd be sold and we'd lose our business. Talked with the new landlord today, and they said they would prefer that everything stay as is for the foreseeable future. If we had to move, it'd be catastrophic as we can't afford to find a new place for our business at this point. So…now I can sleep.

On another note, a few pages back I let it slip that I was going to be a father.
Well, I became one. Overnight :p

She came 26th of April after an intensive 22hour labour healthy and perfect, our little girl weighing 4870grams/10.7365122lbs and 52cm/20.4724409 inches.

It was the weirdest feeling I've ever felt. Also greatest :p

22hrs?!? 10+lbs?!? Numbers worthy of our proud viking heritage. :yeah: She's a cute kid, too. :lol:
THIS…IS…BETWEEN ME AN RANGERBOY! Do as you must, for shame tarries among no soul here.

Ragnarok
07-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Oh, and in case nobody has seen this. It's 100% official from WB themselves, relenting after a bunch of bootleg vids from ComicCon hit the web. I wish they'd have done that with Godzilla. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

For what it's worth, Quinn is just as big a "freak" as I expected her to be. :head:

Ragnarok
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Lastly, a rant I threw together that was inspired by some recent computer issues I've had.

I'm abso-****ing-lutely SICK of playing Apple's Upgrade Game! My next machine will be either Windows 7 or 10 (once they have those new OS bugs under control). If I ever need a Mac for anything, I'll just snag a Mac Mini.

THE_JOKER
07-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Beer... someone say Beer...?

Stick around for 9,000 bottles!

Well, we found out what was going on. I can't get into any real details other than this: some unforeseen circumstances about the ownership of the building we rent for our business. There was a possibility that it'd be sold and we'd lose our business. Talked with the new landlord today, and they said they would prefer that everything stay as is for the foreseeable future. If we had to move, it'd be catastrophic as we can't afford to find a new place for our business at this point. So…now I can sleep.

Damn, well at least it's been sorted by the new landlord. Fingers crossed they keep to their word!.

Lastly, a rant I threw together that was inspired by some recent computer issues I've had.

I'm abso-****ing-lutely SICK of playing Apple's Upgrade Game! My next machine will be either Windows 7 or 10 (once they have those new OS bugs under control). If I ever need a Mac for anything, I'll just snag a Mac Mini.

I sold my pc out for parts. Currently use an annoying touch screen tablet, and a laptop running that "Ubuntu" jobby. When the tablet goes out of date I'm going back to pen and paper.

THE_JOKER
07-16-2015, 09:52 AM
9,000 bottles of beer on t....... Bored already.

duellym
07-16-2015, 02:43 PM
don't worry only 8,999 to go:D

Bullitt
07-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Hey all. Hope all has ben going well. The company I work for had a really good year last year which lead to me getting a really nice bonus this year. We decided to use the money and take the tribe where we would not normally be able to go. Viva Cozumel Mexico! If you ever get a chance to go, GO! I'm not trying to brag, just sharing with my extended family.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/001E7798-A447-4878-9364-7D16E61C7054_zpscafj8qns.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/D4F394FA-BA8A-481C-A24C-393D2EA95473_zps2qiya0wv.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/5268560D-D9B5-41D8-AFB3-6B175B7F5FA3_zpskuyo7bt0.jpg

Ek Balam in the Yucatan Peninsula

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/84ECEEC2-81EF-4361-ACD9-FF411764016E_zpsghfblfok.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/4F96EA5B-CBC7-40E5-BC4E-8486E9F91182_zpskmk7kpot.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/FEA00227-A9FE-4FDE-AAA3-B2CBFC954079_zpssozdpqpd.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/1E1E862E-5D33-4438-B649-408A3C457CEE_zpspy5dnqtl.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/631486AC-4F46-4C56-A6EF-3051C7A84189_zpsc13tnacd.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/1F68C234-0DD5-42B5-8927-82B939A094B2_zpsdgcewn9w.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/41CFFD7C-2CA2-4A4D-B420-268901C0F7B8_zpslnuxwclx.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/harrybullitt/875B6F3E-B686-4634-AB36-E2756498035C_zpserhy5n09.jpg

Harry:wave:

THE_JOKER
07-26-2015, 05:25 AM
Damn! looks like a hell of a holiday Harry. Wouldn't mind having a looksy at those ruins, bit far for me though lol. Nice crystal clear waters too.

Ragnarok
10-01-2015, 11:11 PM

FunkyHunk
12-16-2015, 04:10 PM
BUMP ^^^

Had to bring this thread up to the top once again :p

But seriously, Star Wars, Episode 7, I'm going to see it this friday, anyone else?
I'm cautiously optimistic. And a bit apprehensive.
I really hope that Di$ney don't $crew this up.

Ragnarok
12-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Every review I've read has been exceedingly positive. At best, it's almost as good as Empire. At worst, it's still vastly better than the prequels. The consensus of reviews is it was well written, well cast, well acted, etc., and it does some new things while still being familiar.

Circumstances are such that I won't get to see it until it hits video, which I estimate to be between March and December '16.

danielk
12-16-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm going to see it in an hour and a half.

HyperMark
12-17-2015, 01:00 AM
I've got tickets booked for the day after I finish work for the year, Christmas eve.
I'm taking my 14 y/o son.
Really looking forward to it. :excited:

FunkyHunk
12-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Just came back from the movies, it was good :) More on the morrow :)

Ragnarok
12-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Caution: Star Wars spoiler ahead…

Spoon37
01-03-2016, 02:37 AM
Oh noes :lol:

I haven't seen it yet, but will do in the next few weeks - I didn't like the idea of Cinema crowds around Christmas time :poke:

Also...I haven't yet found a thread about it, so Happy new year all! ^_^ :chug:

HyperMark
01-05-2016, 04:50 AM
This is the one I'm waiting for.
Looks like a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM1HydF9UA

Ragnarok
01-07-2016, 11:14 PM
This is the one I'm waiting for.
Looks like a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM1HydF9UA

It's definitely going to blaze new trail as to how edgy comic book movies can get.

(Although, I guess we'd have to ignore 300, Sin City, Road to Perdition, and a bunch of others for my statement to be true.) :huh: :lol:

Anyway, if this rumor proves to be true, and isn't just clickbait speculation, then many of my grievances are mollified.

Sores: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/01/04/godzilla-resurgence-plot-details-learn-why-godzilla-looks-so-messed-up

According to some not-too-subtle Tweets and FB posts from August Ragone - Japan pop culture/TV/cinema expert extraordinaire, and someone who has been and continues to be in consort with contacts within Toho - this is bogus. At least how the source I linked to arrived at a contrived conclusion and called it fact. So, it means that we probably will be getting a bloody, ruptured thing that can't decide which franchise it belongs to. Wonderful. :nicolas:

Ragnarok
01-19-2016, 07:33 PM
:challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6NWLgqK4-Q

Ragnarok
02-06-2016, 02:20 AM
I've purchased my ticket for Star Wars. Seeing it at the early matinee in their "last stop before Goodbyesville" screen. I'll give my spoiler-free impressions afterward. :)

Ragnarok
02-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Okay, I've seen The Force Awakes. I could say a lot, but I don't think I will. My spolier-free summary is this: George Lucas should have relinquished control of Star Wars YEARS AGO! See it. Now. I SAID NOW!!!

FunkyHunk
02-13-2016, 05:05 AM
My sentiments exactly, why was that dude at the helm for so long a time?

He should have gotten the boot BEFORE 1994 when he started screwing up the original trilogy.

Ragnarok
02-13-2016, 05:26 PM
I have some really mixed feelings about the various revisions of the Special Edition(s).

On one hand, things like correction of color grading, lighting, and the fixing of lightsaber color consistency is just fine.

On the other, it comes off as somewhat ugly when you look at the stuff like the Han and CGI Hutt scene, the jankety VFX neck voodoo to make Han dodge Greedo's blaster, the "background character density adjustments" to Mos Eisley and Bespin, that INSIPID GARBAGE music number in Jabba's parlor, plus all of the various galactic celebrations (Couroscant, Naboo, et al) in jubilation of the assumed fall of the Empire. (Hearing Jar Jar screaming "Wee-sa free!" or anything else for that matter, ANYWHERE in the original trilogy is blasphemy.) Also, stuffing Hayden Christensen into the final shot where Luke is smiling at the Force spirits of Yoda, Obi-Wan and his dad is nothing short of offensive. I know why Lucas did it this way, and I can see his point, but if the casting of the prequel trilogy wasn't as bad as it was then maybe it wouldn't be an issue. In fact, I'll go as far as saying this: I would accept EVERY single revision to the original trilogy IF they left the original actor who played the dying Vader in that scene. That's one heck of a concession, but it's the one alteration that I feel the most passionately about.

However, I hugely preferred the new ending music over that silliness of the original. Hearing the London Voices sing crap like "Yub Nub!" and other gibberish that's assumed to be Ewokese (Ewokian? Ewowegian???) in the original cut is like Morgan Freeman imitating Jim Carrey's "Fireman Bill" character - it's the height of shameful ridiculousness. The new piece sounds like something Andreas Vollenweider or David Arkenstone might have written. I really liked it.

Ragnarok
02-13-2016, 05:32 PM
I've also read/seen several complaints about the new film. I can agree with a few of the minor things, ie. that it feels like the new movie rehashes a lot of things (scenarios, plot devices, concepts, etc.) from the original trilogy. I definitely saw it happen several times, and most of it didn't bother me, and it will continue to not bother me if we see some new trails blazed in the upcoming films. There definitely was some new cloth added to the tapestry in Episode 7 and I enjoyed it very much.

I have to be honest, though…I'm curious as to what Lucas had planned in his version of the new films.

BADMUTHATrUCKER
02-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Probably would of involved more nub-nub and Darth Snickerdoodle, a Beagle.

2k2cse
02-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Hai guise :lol:

Ragnarok
02-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Hai guise :lol:

:lol:

2k2cse
02-16-2016, 07:42 PM
:alone:

Ragnarok
02-17-2016, 02:33 AM

Ragnarok
02-19-2016, 08:12 AM
I saw Star Wars again yesterday. XD

2k2cse
02-20-2016, 11:04 PM
I still haven't seen it. Whoops. Been meaning to watch that and Deadpool, but the lack of free time kinda sucks haha

DarthRacer
02-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Hory carp. This thread is still going?

sup

Ragnarok
02-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Hory carp. This thread is still going?

sup

DarthRacer
02-22-2016, 07:28 PM
I haven't been hitting the forums much the past few years after having a smartphone and facebook.

I'm trying to check back in at all my favorite places.

Ragnarok
02-29-2016, 06:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oxv16Gj.gif

HyperMark
03-18-2016, 07:40 AM
:blink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VoNgLnjzVg

toonnee
04-01-2016, 08:15 PM
LOL Great thread!

RAGNAR EDIT: TAKE DAT SHIZZ ELSWHERE, BIZZLE!

igotit
04-13-2016, 07:19 AM
After all these years.....i still dont understand the first post in this thread.

Ragnarok
04-13-2016, 02:33 PM
After all these years.....i still dont understand the first post in this thread.
It was a BST that went bad, and the accuser was the bunghole in the deal.

But as far as the actual structure of the post, the crux of it, the sanguine, visceral root of what was forever and indelibly preserved for time and all eternity on this most honored forum is not unlike what you'd get from a blind chimpanzee with ADHD on crack that is locked in a room with a hammer and a laptop in which only 18 keys are functioning on the keyboard.

Rolex
04-13-2016, 03:11 PM
It was a BST that went bad, and the accuser was the bunghole in the deal.

But as far as the actual structure of the post, the crux of it, the sanguine, visceral root of what was forever and indelibly preserved for time and all eternity on this most honored forum is not unlike what you'd get from a blind chimpanzee with ADHD on crack that is locked in a room with a hammer and a laptop in which only 18 keys are functioning on the keyboard.

NOW I get it. Finally a basic explanation.

igotit
04-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Thanx for explaining.....i finally understand.
Thanx.

P.s.
I knew it was a sour bst.

Ragnarok
04-13-2016, 07:46 PM
P.s.
I knew it was a sour bst.

I know. I just wanted to make sure the Crazy Train keeps on chuggin'.

igotit
04-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Boss give me a $500k truck to repair,2015 with 5k miles.
Already removed the dump tank from the rear.
The tank laid over during dumping....completly twisted the entire chassis.
Its my job to disassemble,replace/rebuild and make her look like a half million dollar truck again.
The crossmembers gussets snapped off,rear axel only hanging on by airbags and front hangers,truck is in totaled status,new chassis on its way from paccar in canada.
Everything is bent and out of alignment.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/sevenr341/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/B004FCA0-0EE0-40A5-936B-2F62E16BE901_zpsfx9wwmsm.jpg (http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sevenr341/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/B004FCA0-0EE0-40A5-936B-2F62E16BE901_zpsfx9wwmsm.jpg.html)

FunkyHunk
05-11-2016, 03:51 PM
I hope you keep us updated on that bigrig :)

How's things otherwise with my fewllow co conspirators?

I installed the new Oculus Home to see if it worked with my Rift DK2, and it worked beautifully.
Smooth operation and headtracking, awesome frontend gui, and quite a few good games available.

Anyone else tried the rift yet?

Ragnarok
06-23-2016, 02:05 AM
No Oculus Rift fo' me. I haven't gamed in any serious manner since I played Journey. I had thought about building an office computer that could also seriously bring ALL the polygons, but I may just get the updated PlayStation 4 when it hits the market later this year. :nice:

However I do have a major advancement on a project I've been scheming for what seems like years and years and years…and years. :yeah:

Addendum:

<cough>

FunkyHunk
07-01-2016, 04:31 PM
No Oculus Rift fo' me. I haven't gamed in any serious manner since I played Journey. I had thought about building an office computer that could also seriously bring ALL the polygons, but I may just get the updated PlayStation 4 when it hits the market later this year. :nice:

However I do have a major advancement on a project I've been scheming for what seems like years and years and years…and years. :yeah:

Addendum:
SNIP

<cough>

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Y8hzdgPnZ6Hwk/200_s.gif
Really, do tell!

The rift has not taken much of my time, but Project cars on the rift, with a surround sound headphones and the logitech G27 steeringwheel really made for the most intense immersive experience of my life so far. Not kidding.

I havent upgraded my pc since 2014 when i built it to handle the rift DK2 recommended specs.
(i5 4690k@4.5ghz watercooled, GTX780ti 3gb, 6gb ddr3 1600mhz RAm, plus 100gb ssd main drive, and 4tb secondary)

It still manages 75fps in most of the new games released to Oculus Home, so I guess it's not that bad.

But I recently got hold of an old powermac G4, complete and running machine.
A friend of mine cleared the house after his dad died, and his dad had it lying around.
I hooked it up and it started like nothing happened.

I desperately want to make the internals from my gaming mahcine into this case.
The G4 is one of the prettiest cases I've seen in many years. So sleek and pretty to look at.

Do you know of how much work I'm in for?

Ragnarok
07-01-2016, 11:49 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/Y8hzdgPnZ6Hwk/200_s.gif
Really, do tell!

Design is inspired by these two juggernauts of synth history:

The Waldorf Wave (c. 1994).

And the Yamaha CS-80 (c. 1978). This is what gave us most of the soundtrack for Blade Runner. :drool:

Both of these machines were unreasonably heavy for their size (the Wave was something like 27-32kg [60-70lbs], and the CS-80 was a hippopotanic 100kg [220lbs]), and I expect mine will be likewise. I'm estimating it to be in the neighborhood of 50kg/110lbs when completed. Unlike these, however, my rig will be a full 88-keys instead of 61 like those guys, and may end up resembling an aircraft carrier more than anything. My mechanical drawings make it about 67"long x 27"deep at the extremes. It's the only way I can fit everything into it I want. I'm not going to share its actual design until it's about 50% done, and by that time I may have some YouTube videos showing its design/build process. Maybe?

Addendum: I will add I have one major reason for keeping my initial instrument design quiet: there are some aspects of it that are still in flux, and revealing anything at this stage would really be pointless. I have new ideas, different ideas, changes of heart every other week or so on what many of the particulars are. The only thing that won't be changing is its most rudimentary mission: 88-keys, hinged control surface, embedded workstation computer, multitouch screen, buttloads of controls. Answers to questions like, "Will this have embedded hardware instruments or not?", and "Any multitouch surfaces beyond the main screen?" are, at the moment, "Probably, but I may change my mind," or, "I think so, as long as I can incorporate all of them without it being one giant nightmare to figure out." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sadly, I will be shocked all to heck if the final cost is less than $10K. :nicolas: :head:

Tentatively, I'm calling the overall project "Triple 8", which references two instruments that will be christened individually at a later date: the 88-keys of this thing and 8-strings for an electric guitar that I'm also building simultaneously. I'll have both on my blog (which currently has only a single post from 2 years ago), and try to feature the 8-string guitar build over at sevenstring.org's Luthier subforum.

The keybed for this project arrived Tuesday, and to my horror it had been destroyed.

It was extremely well padded - except for the ends. It had been dropped and totally ruined the lower keys. UPS now has it, and I'm hoping to receive its replacement in a month. (The supplier has them on order from Yurp.) These are made in Italy by Fatar, and this particular model is used in Kurzweil Music Systems' PC3X, PC3K8/A8, and Forté synthesizers, and Viscount/Physis Piano's K4 monster controller.

I have another part on the way too. It's the pitch bend/modulation "wheels" for an Alesis Fusion 6HD/8HD. I'm not going to incorporate them directly, but I found them as spare parts from a keyboard parts dealer and thought I could reverse engineer them to fit my own purposes.

I havent upgraded my pc since 2014 when i built it to handle the rift DK2 recommended specs.
(i5 4690k@4.5ghz watercooled, GTX780ti 3gb, 6gb ddr3 1600mhz RAm, plus 100gb ssd main drive, and 4tb secondary)The i7 4690K is still a great CPU. Your GPU isn't anything to sneeze at either. Kinda mind blowing as to how much power the Oculus demands. :/

But I recently got hold of an old powermac G4, complete and running machine.
A friend of mine cleared the house after his dad died, and his dad had it lying around.
I hooked it up and it started like nothing happened.

I desperately want to make the internals from my gaming mahcine into this case.
The G4 is one of the prettiest cases I've seen in many years. So sleek and pretty to look at.

Do you know of how much work I'm in for?The old PMG4 cases were very sexy. Is it a "Graphite" or a "Quicksilver/MDD" type?

There are several users out there that have done a PC-in-PowerMac G4 case - some of them built to be Hackintoshes. I'd check with online forums with extensive case modding activity, like HardForums and Bit-Tech forums.

I do know that Apple was very proprietary when it came to PSUs, IO shield placement, motherboard mounting bolt locations, etc., and this is where your challenges will begin. It will be some work, but I think that any kind of experience in scratch building in RC will be more than enough preparation to tackle this. Just plan it out, study the thing very well, take a gander at what others have done, and take your time. It should work out very nicely. :nice:

FunkyHunk
07-06-2016, 06:41 PM

Design is inspired by these two juggernauts of synth history:

The Waldorf Wave (c. 1994).

And the Yamaha CS-80 (c. 1978). This is what gave us most of the soundtrack for Blade Runner. :drool:

Both of these machines were unreasonably heavy for their size (the Wave was something like 27-32kg [60-70lbs], and the CS-80 was a hippopotanic 100kg [220lbs]), and I expect mine will be likewise. I'm estimating it to be in the neighborhood of 50kg/110lbs when completed. Unlike these, however, my rig will be a full 88-keys instead of 61 like those guys, and may end up resembling an aircraft carrier more than anything. My mechanical drawings make it about 67"long x 27"deep at the extremes. It's the only way I can fit everything into it I want. I'm not going to share its actual design until it's about 50% done, and by that time I may have some YouTube videos showing its design/build process. Maybe?

Addendum: I will add I have one major reason for keeping my initial instrument design quiet: there are some aspects of it that are still in flux, and revealing anything at this stage would really be pointless. I have new ideas, different ideas, changes of heart every other week or so on what many of the particulars are. The only thing that won't be changing is its most rudimentary mission: 88-keys, hinged control surface, embedded workstation computer, multitouch screen, buttloads of controls. Answers to questions like, "Will this have embedded hardware instruments or not?", and "Any multitouch surfaces beyond the main screen?" are, at the moment, "Probably, but I may change my mind," or, "I think so, as long as I can incorporate all of them without it being one giant nightmare to figure out." ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sadly, I will be shocked all to heck if the final cost is less than $10K. :nicolas: :head:

Tentatively, I'm calling the overall project "Triple 8", which references two instruments that will be christened individually at a later date: the 88-keys of this thing and 8-strings for an electric guitar that I'm also building simultaneously. I'll have both on my blog (which currently has only a single post from 2 years ago), and try to feature the 8-string guitar build over at sevenstring.org's Luthier subforum.

The keybed for this project arrived Tuesday, and to my horror it had been destroyed.

It was extremely well padded - except for the ends. It had been dropped and totally ruined the lower keys. UPS now has it, and I'm hoping to receive its replacement in a month. (The supplier has them on order from Yurp.) These are made in Italy by Fatar, and this particular model is used in Kurzweil Music Systems' PC3X, PC3K8/A8, and Forté synthesizers, and Viscount/Physis Piano's K4 monster controller.

I have another part on the way too. It's the pitch bend/modulation "wheels" for an Alesis Fusion 6HD/8HD. I'm not going to incorporate them directly, but I found them as spare parts from a keyboard parts dealer and thought I could reverse engineer them to fit my own purposes.

I have a hard time to wrap my head around how all those parts connect to one huge advanced synth. You my friend are a brave individual.
Are you going to build your own case, Wood/plywood/mdf?
Too bad they couldn't wrap the parts well though, I guess that the components by themselves aren't cheap.
I was listening to the bladerunner soundtrack yesterday actually, I was in the garage working on my 1975 Ford Escort RS2000.
It helps me concentrate on the work at hand.

The i7 4690K is still a great CPU. Your GPU isn't anything to sneeze at either. Kinda mind blowing as to how much power the Oculus demands. :/

The old PMG4 cases were very sexy. Is it a "Graphite" or a "Quicksilver/MDD" type?

There are several users out there that have done a PC-in-PowerMac G4 case - some of them built to be Hackintoshes. I'd check with online forums with extensive case modding activity, like HardForums and Bit-Tech forums.

I do know that Apple was very proprietary when it came to PSUs, IO shield placement, motherboard mounting bolt locations, etc., and this is where your challenges will begin. It will be some work, but I think that any kind of experience in scratch building in RC will be more than enough preparation to tackle this. Just plan it out, study the thing very well, take a gander at what others have done, and take your time. It should work out very nicely. :nice:

The i5 4690k is the last component I will upgrade I think, that one has the longest life of my current setup.
The GPU still runs most of the Oculus home games and demos flawlessly still, I guess it's thanks to the lower resolution (960*1080 times 2 @75fps/hz) of the Rift DK2 and less demanding tracking system than the CV1.
But a new 1070 or 1080 4/6gb cards would be welcome.

The tall hardware requirements of the Rift CV1 isn't that hard to figure out though,
if you take in to account that to eliminate motion sickness/vr sickness the display witch is 1080x1200 per eye,
needs 90fps synced with the motion tracking camera and the eventual motion controllers to be a totally smooth experience.
That said, the 75fps i get in project cars with the dk2 is still not sickness inducing at all, but then again I've been hardened through extensive use of the DK2. Even Minecraft is awesome with the rift.

On regards to the G4, it's the graphite version I got hold of. This exact version:
http://www.stevesonian.com/museum/desktop/PowerMac_G4/downloads/pictures/PowerMac_G4_3q.jpg

It's a beautiful case. Albeit a little small inside.
It uses a normal atx-style PSU so I think I can get my 1000w modular corsair psu fairly easily mounted If I get rid of the optical drive.
(I mean who uses dvd's anymore?) (I know, 1000w is a bit overkill, I dreamt of doing a few cards in SLI at one point)
The motherboard mounts to the door witch opens outwards, making it easy to inspect and replace components or even to clean it.
It will be a tight fit with the watercooling and all the cooling fans i need to keep the inside temp down.
Luckily the radiator is only 120X120mm, and will fit in the space of two 3.25" drive bays. barely. with a hammer.

The G4 uses a proprietary system witch is not totally unlike the ATX standard,
I just have to drill the correct holes in the door for the atx mobo standoffs, and slice open a piece of the backside for the I/O panel.
I'm currently on the hunt for a sacrificial PC/case for the purpose of donating parts and a mockup motherboard.
Only thing is I think I have to get a new motherboard, as mine is midi-atx, while only micro-atx will fit on the motherboard/door.

That means that I also have to upgrade my RAM at the same time, since I currently have 6gb ddr3 1600mhz.
That is not enough to be futureproof methinks. Maybe a larger c-drive SSD as well. (currently 80gb)
Also, I hope the GPU will fit in the case :p

Ragnarok
07-06-2016, 11:40 PM
I have a hard time to wrap my head around how all those parts connect to one huge advanced synth. You my friend are a brave individual.
It's an instance of "Nothing is the right fit, so, screw it, I'm building my own." It's like Goldilocks making her own damned chair, fixing her own blasted porridge, and building her own freaking bed, therefore avoiding the whole "breaking and entering, destruction of private property, and getting eaten by bears" thing altogether. I don't know of anybody who's done a custom workstation to this extent. I have seen some people claim they're working on something, but they never get past the incomplete 3D model they made on a pirated copy of AutoCAD. :nicolas:

The closest thing I know of is a gent in Germany who builds his own dedicated controllers for specific software synthesizers, and he's pretty danged good at it. http://www.synth-project.com His Polyana controller has to be my favorite. :D He mostly uses wood for his chassis builds, and the majority of them tend to follow the Moogmusic style (both old and new) of chassis design. My instrument is not too far from the ones he makes in basic concept, but nor is it entirely the same. Mine won't be as singularly focused. I'm making something that's a little broader in implementation. He's also using the Doepfer MKE platform, whereas I'm using the MIDIBOX_NG platform. The MB_NG is more expandable and flexible than the MKE, like how it allows the use of keybeds larger than 61-keys. MKE is a heck of a lot easier to set up, though.

There are also the commercially built, "integrated workstations" from Open Labs and Music Computing (both founded by the same…person), and they're…they're…man, wow. Bluntly, I hate the way they look. Like me, they probably got the idea from the old Creamware Stageframe concept keyboard that was first shown at the 2000 Frankfurt Musik Messe (except they'll probably never admit it).

Korg also had their OASYS workstations from the mid 2000s, and they were BRILLIANT (anyone who said otherwise were just jealous and saddened that they couldn't afford one), albeit based on custom, embedded Linux systems. They go for kinda cheap on eBay these days (originally $7,000 to $10,000, and now I see the big ones go for under $4K).

Are you going to build your own case, Wood/plywood/mdf?Yup. It's all going to be fabbed by me. The structural parts to the chassis will be a combination of aluminum (brushed black anodized on the outer surfaces), 1/2" and 1/4" birch plywood (ApplyPly (http://www.appleply.com/about.php) - it's voidless, made to very close tolerances, and rigid as all get-out) and HDPE. Lots and lots of threaded inserts. No MDF though. It's essentially thick newsprint and has no structural integrity. Where it has its uses, it's great, but it won't work on this. :nice: I'll probably be making my own PCBs for some of the interface boards, which I'm not looking forward to. If I had a small desktop CNC where I could just mill out my traces on 2-sided copper clad, I'd be just fine, but I'll probably be using Vectorboard or Adafruit Perma-Proto boards.

I do want to use some kind of figured wood on the endbells and any other appointments (like the strip over the keybed). Exactly what, though, is up in the air. I'd like to use figured Sapélé (a darker, harder, denser, heavier relative of Mahogany) or Black Walnut. It all depends on what I can get at the time of completion. Either one would suit me.

Too bad they couldn't wrap the parts well though, I guess that the components by themselves aren't cheap. It definitely sucks hard. It's like they blithely assumed that the package would be shipped horizontally 100% of the time. Had such an impossible scenario been the case, I'd be bragging about how I snagged one of the best weighted synthesizer actions of all time instead of waiting to find out if/when I'm going to get a replacement. :/
I was listening to the bladerunner soundtrack yesterday actually, I was in the garage working on my 1975 Ford Escort RS2000.
It helps me concentrate on the work at hand. The opening piece to me is a hymn - it's one of the greatest and most compellingly organic synthesizer tone poems ever put to film. So many people try to cover it on YouTube and NO BODY can get that first slow, descending pitch bend right. They either bend too quickly or not far enough. They spend so much time trying to imitate that particular CS-80 sound that they completely ignore the actual performance of it. :facepalm:

The tall hardware requirements of the Rift CV1 isn't that hard to figure out though,
if you take in to account that to eliminate motion sickness/vr sickness the display witch is 1080x1200 per eye,
needs 90fps synced with the motion tracking camera and the eventual motion controllers to be a totally smooth experience.
That said, the 75fps i get in project cars with the dk2 is still not sickness inducing at all, but then again I've been hardened through extensive use of the DK2. Even Minecraft is awesome with the rift. One of the things I've noticed as I get older (just turned 40 over a month ago) is that certain movements and visual things cause me to become far more motion-sick than they used to. I almost can't stand to be a passenger in a car anymore - I have to be the driver so I can concentrate and predict the movements of the vehicle. Otherwise I get severely dizzy. :635:

First person shooters were always bad for me. I'd be a little afraid I'd totally be lost in vertigo if I tried an OR, regardless of high frame rate. :lol:

On regards to the G4, it's the graphite version I got hold of. This exact version: The Graphite chassis was the prettiest of the bunch. I thought the later MDD/QS chrome looked nice, but was a little too ostentatious.

It's a beautiful case. Albeit a little small inside.
It uses a normal atx-style PSU so I think I can get my 1000w modular corsair psu fairly easily mounted If I get rid of the optical drive.
(I mean who uses dvd's anymore?) (I know, 1000w is a bit overkill, I dreamt of doing a few cards in SLI at one point)
The motherboard mounts to the door witch opens outwards, making it easy to inspect and replace components or even to clean it. Yeah, they had an awesome setup - just pull the latch and the motherboard lays out right in front of you. :D

Only thing is I think I have to get a new motherboard, as mine is midi-atx, while only micro-atx will fit on the motherboard/door.

That means that I also have to upgrade my RAM at the same time, since I currently have 6gb ddr3 1600mhz.
That is not enough to be futureproof methinks. Maybe a larger c-drive SSD as well. (currently 80gb)
Also, I hope the GPU will fit in the case :pDefinitely get your DDR3 memory while it's still cheap. I've noticed in the past that obsolete memory can just become expensive for no good reason. Also, if the GPU won't fit, you could get one of those monster midget ITX-length (6.7"l) cards from Asus or Gigabyte. :nice: Gigabyte just announced a new GTX 1070 that's Mini ITX length, and it's a beast. Probably has a price to match as well.

Ragnarok
08-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Here's an update on my keybed (mis)adventure. I know this is absolutely RIVETING stuff to people on an RC forum, but please humor me. :lol:

The component arrived back to its source in Mississippi over a week ago, and the following Monday I contacted the retailer I bought it from, asking what was next. She contacted the distributor (who is the only villain in this story, other than my naivete that this was going to be resolved rationally), and they denied any wrongdoing in the damage of my keybed (even though UPS, the retailer and myself all know otherwise). We were then given an ultimatum: ship it on a pallet + additional shipping costs, or GTFO. Nice.

I had two serious problems with this. First was that the method itself is not inherently better than the original process. Strapping it to a pallet, having it trucked from MS to Kent, WA, and then having it barged up here is almost a guarantee that it will be destroyed. It's not a two ton diesel generator - it's a 40lb piece of delicate electronics made of fragile plastic and thin steel. It will be assumed by the freight handlers to be able to withstand a bit of mishandling and abuse without it destroying itself, which couldn't be further from the truth. Furthermore, since the distributor didn't pack it correctly the first time, what's to guarantee they'll do it right this time? Based on this first experience with them, there's nothing to reassure me that it will be done properly.

Secondly is the principle of it. These people refused to admit any fault, even though the box had ZERO padding between the keybed and the outside world beyond two layers of thin cardboard. They also demanded more money for shipping, which under these circumstances is not right. Because they take the stance that they were right, they feel an additional fee is justifiable. If they WERE right, then I'd probably not worry. But their position is intellectually bankrupt because anyone with even the most rudimentary understanding of gravity and collision will know that how that keybed was packed was obscenely inadequate.

Anyway, the resolution was that the retailer offered me a full refund, which was fully processed yesterday morning. I wouldn't hesitate for even a second to do business with those folks again - they're awesome to work with. But I'll never have anything to do with that distributor again as it relates to "special orders." They don't take their responsibilities seriously at all and it blows my mind that they're capable of being distributors for huge music gear brands with any semblance of competence.

So, it's on to Plan B: buy a COMPLETE controller instead of my first approach (bare keybed + microcontroller + bootloader + commandline programming + migraines) and build the custom instrument around that. My Plan B controller is a Studiologic SL88 Grand. It packs the highest-end variant of the Fatar TP/40 action, the TP/40WOOD. The TP/40WOOD features:
Uses a composite wood for the main "body" of the keys' construction.
Ivory key texture.
Has a graded action, meaning that the bass keys are more heavily weighted, and the key weights get lighter as you move up the action. I prefer a balanced action, where the weights are all the same, which is why I originally chose the TP/40L in the first place, but whatevs. I hope to get used to this
And is a triple sensor system vs double sensor. The 3rd sensor is for release velocity, I think.102365

The controller is $900 at most retailers (making it the least expensive true-professional standalone controller you can buy), plus an additional $150 to get it to Planet Alaska from the very few retailers that will ship to our part of the Galaxy. I believe it was announced at the 2015 Frankfurt Musik Messe, but has only been available for less than a year. It's a fairly new instrument. To get anything better than this, I'd have to move up to the Physispiano K4, which happens to use my first-choice of keybeds, the TP/40L. It's available in the US from only ONE retailer, and it's approximately twice what the SL88 Grand costs.

Ragnarok
09-16-2016, 12:02 AM

Ragnarok
10-02-2016, 11:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RgN9ijwE4

Ragnarok
10-02-2016, 11:30 PM

350TacoZilla
10-03-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm glad to see more VR stuff coming out and hope it comes down in price in couple years like most new tech does.

Funky it sounds like your well on your way to what I would love to have, I want to do a full racing cabinet basically with the real racing seat and belts in it.

Ragnarok
10-03-2016, 11:22 AM
I personally would love to build a custom arcade rig. Kinda like this...

HyperMark
10-06-2016, 03:10 AM
I personally would love to build a custom arcade rig. Kinda like this...

Do it. :nice:
:beer&buddy:
Here's mine. Using an old 21 CRT PC monitor I picked up cheap.
Work in progress, hasn't changed much in the last 12 months. :blink:
https://myalbum.com/photo/ijxULjEwflpR/800.jpg https://myalbum.com/photo/jCT8xHLoNZxW/800.jpg

Ragnarok
10-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Wow! Nice. Are you running MAME on your system?

HyperMark
10-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Wow! Nice. Are you running MAME on your system?
Yup, Windows XP Pro running MAME through Hyperspin front end.
https://myalbum.com/photo/G0qrpgDcegwm/800.jpg https://myalbum.com/photo/lk0eKITNPLmz/800.jpg
Using genuine arcade joysticks and buttons running off hacked el'cheapo gamepads.
This is a control panel I made 12 years ago, I will be stripping it for the new cabinet.

Ragnarok
10-10-2016, 12:43 AM
Very nice. It's one of those things that's always been in the back of my mind - an "I'll get around to this one day" kind of deal. I'd do it once I have my studio established and paid for, after I've restored my 1903 Schulz mahogany "upright grand" piano, some other woodworking projects out of the way, a couple of RCs that I've had on the back burner for 10 years, etc. So…probably when I turn 60 (which is only 20 years from now).
:doc:

Ragnarok
12-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Yeah, so…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP0-9FBs2Rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJfibT0KI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgnO5fO46pE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cv2ueYnKjg

…I guess.

Ragnarok
12-07-2016, 09:31 AM
I just noticed that Prime is the only one with a closed mouth in those four thumbnails.

Ragnarok
12-11-2016, 08:35 PM
Guys, I've seen Shin Gojira (aka. Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Resurgence) recently-ish. Review in the works. Spoiler Alert: It won't be pretty.

FunkyHunk
12-14-2016, 04:44 PM
I saw "Rogue One" today, and it was a solid 5/6. Not disappointed at all :)

Ragnarok
12-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Awesome. I've read that it's really good. I probably won't see it until early next year at the theater, if at all. May end up waiting for Blu-ray.

FunkyHunk
12-15-2016, 02:08 PM
It's a bit different from the rest of the series though, but still true to the universe, and the "transfer" from the rogue storyline to the episode 4 storyline gave me goosebumps and chills down my spine.
It was such a seamless gliding transfer (if you get my meaning) I was in awe.
Worth the money/time/effort to see it in the theater.
I would recommend it in 3d though, if you got a good 3d-theater around your parts. Good depth feeling.

Ragnarok
12-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I definitely want to go to it. First I have to get over my pneumonia or whatever this is, and then find the time. :/

HyperMark
12-16-2016, 01:34 AM
Got my tickets for my son and I, tomorrow midday.
Splashed out for the premium seating on the biggest screen.
https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/ZEc2gQssokZTw1WZBKADfg/o.jpg
https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/6xdywmxMfosl5Nx5Oh2hkA/o.jpg

Ragnarok
12-18-2016, 01:48 AM
Sweet! Our theater in my part of AK isn't super plush, but I've been in it six times now since its opening and it's definitely nice enough. (The floors aren't sticky enough to make noise yet.) And in spite of my size I find the seats comfortable. I especially like getting the seats in the handicapped access row - all the legroom I want, and all the noisy, irreverent, foot-stomping bratlings I can trip in the dark. "Have a nice flight, Timmy!"

Ragnarok
05-13-2017, 10:27 PM
Quick movie reviews: Some spoilers ahead…

Kong: Skull Island: Flawed but awesome! Very different than Godzilla 2014, but the big reason why really comes down to this: in Godzilla, Godzilla and the MUTOs are invading our world. However, in Kong, we're invading his. Makes the two inherently different. Kong is officially 104' in this, vs Godzilla's 355', but since Kong takes place in 1973 and Godzilla vs Kong won't happen until 2020, there's going to be nearly 40 years of Kong to get bigger (it's only vaguely hinted at once in the movie, and really in a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of way).

What it did better than Godzilla three years ago is the action is more consistent (granted, this is a different kind of movie), you get to see the monster really early on without deliberate obfuscating camera angles. The end fight is a lot faster paced than in Godzilla, but we're watching animals that are a whole magnitude (or two) smaller in K:SI. The big rumble also happens in daylight. ILM handled the lead VFX, and it's some of their best work. Kong is also very intelligent - he's a tool user (delimbs a huge tree, turning it into a club; uses massive chains tangled up with a giant cargo ship's prop and uses the whole thing like a morning star).

Where it's on par with G2014 is character and plot, meaning it could have used a lot more effort. John C. Reily did an excellent job, but it could have had more depth from John Goodman, SLJ and Tom Hiddleston. Everyone else really phoned it in though (particularly Brie Larson - can't tell at all by this that she's an Oscar award winner). Regarding plot, like G2014, it's not as smart as it wants you to believe, but it's not so bad that it keeps you from enjoying the rest of the movie. Gonna warn you up front - don't get too attached to everyone. This movie has a pretty high attrition rate.

Very graphic in some key scenes (particularly the climax), and I'm a little surprised they didn't have to tone it down to get their PG-13 rating. One F-word, which really felt forced. Out of theaters, but should hit BluRay/DVD this July. It does have a post-credits scene which sets up Godzilla: King of the Monsters (coming 2019) and Godzilla vs Kong (2020)!

Shin Gojira: I can't even begin express in words how much I loathed this atrocity of cinema, and to itemize all of the problems I had would be the most caustic and hateful waste of time anyone could read this side of Slate.com. A lot of purists loved it, however I was among those who did not. (Don't dare say anything against the film in the Godzilla subreddit, though. The "Only Japan can make good Godzilla movies" bigots over there will tar and feather you.) It wasn't Godzilla. In fact, in spite of all of the effort they went to to make the creature so "inventively" repugnant, he's totally inconsequential. It may as well have been about an earthquake or tsunami or a typhoon. Sigh. Anyway, the creature has three forms - the first (which is technically the 2nd - you aren't shown the 1st form) looked like a cross between a turkey fetus and a goblin shark that plows around Tokyo, head first like a tricycle; the next was able to stand upright and had more defined forelimbs; and the more "recognizable" (I'm being generous here) looked like a tower of ruptured tumors and scars, like its bones were rupturing from its musculature. Oh, and he has a mouth on the end of his tail. That also has an atomic ray. And his plates can shoot lasers. And his tail was ready to bud off into humanoid Godzilla-like things that looked like something from H.R. Giger's Necronomicon at the very end of the movie (which was apparently to be Godzilla's next stage of evolution). I'm dead serious. Go look on the internet. It's on computers now.

Characters ranged from forgettable to irritating to offensive. (They should have just given Kyoko Patterson [wut?] red hair and called her "Asuka.") The underlying plot (oh man) was nothing more than a love letter to early 20th century Imperialism, and the "outerlying" plot is ultimately a live-action prequel to Evangelion. They all but called Godzilla an "angel." The claustrophobic camera angles, the not-even-better-than-film-school-reject pacing and editing, the terrible CGI, the cabinet room/planning room "drama", the reused Gojira 1954 soundtrack (and not newly recorded either - the same old scratchy, poorly archived recordings from 60+ years ago) AND reused Evangelion music, the machine gun dialogue…it was a movie that kicks you to the ground, sits on your head and crushes it, while it sucks all of the air out of the room so you can't breathe.

Summary: Hideaki Anno needs to go back to anime, because, in spite of it being both a box office smash in Japan and being a critical success, it's still garbage. If anyone wants to see an unconventional take on both Godzilla as a character and the overall metaphor of the events surrounding him, go watch Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah. Worst name in the series, but probably one of the best. In fact, go watch the original from 1954. It's the best of all of them, especially when compared to this ham fisted nationalist diatribe. Not sure when this hits BluRay/DVD in the US (been out in Japan since last Fall), but since Funimation is handling the whole thing, it'll likely be out sometime before 2050.

Ghost in the Shell: No. I've read all of the "white washing" controversy, and, frankly, it's less important than the real flaws this film has. To qualify most of my criticisms, I'm very familiar with Mamoru Oshii's GitS movies (have them both on BluRay), however I'm not a comic book/graphic novel/manga reader, so I have not read the original material by Shiro Masamune, nor have I watched the anime series (but I've heard that it's pretty cool, and I own the OSTs for the series). On that note I'm maybe not an authority on every where they drew all of the character, settings, etc. from for this, but I know enough about the original anime films to have a functional grasp of what GitS is. Or should be.

The movie borrows so much from the first GitS movie (key set pieces and scenes should really jump out at you), yet has a different antagonist (Kuze, rather than The Puppetmaster/Project 2501), but like the original film, his antagonist status is really only under certain circumstances and the real villain is someone else, AND it steals so much from Robocop (and more than a few PKD novels), that it feels like a monster-budget counterfeit. SJ's character, mostly just known as The Major, had been Japanese until they dumped her brain into a cybernetic body that's Swedish. Same for the antagonist. This however isn't really explored until about the last part of the 2nd act for SJ and the very end for Kuze. The Major has only a few details on what her past life was (which is actually all false anyway), so most of her journey is just about accounting for her identity. The actor they got to play Batou really wasn't right for the part. His version of Batou is flippant, cocky and swaggering. (I realize this is a symptom of writing and direction, not entirely him.) The Batou I'm familiar with is more like the Dirty Harry of anime - dry, cynical, and serious. The guy wasn't big enough either. An actor of 6'4" or more would have been more appropriate. Part of Batou's menace is his size. (Had he been 20 years younger, Dolph Lundgren would have been perfect for this part.) Once he has his cybernetic eyes, he's tone does change a bit and he's a little more in-line with the "classic" Batou. As for other character, Togusa is pretty forgettable, as is Ishikawa, and I'm not sure that should have been thus. Aramaki, played by Beat Takeshi, however is a badass. Far more so that any version of the character I've seen, and it was pretty great, so…points for that.

I think what was holding back the movie were three individuals with less than stellar notoriety. First, the director, Rupert Sanders. The only other film I've seen from him was Snow White and the Huntsman (aka. Twitchy McGee and the Little People). That was one serious lump of dump that looked pretty but took some of the weirdest and unintuitive story meanderings that ended in disaster (it felt more like some kind of King Arthur/LotR crap) - so bad that the sequel had to be done WITHOUT Snow White. Next on the naughty list is Avi Arad, best known as the guy who was in charge of all of the terrible Marvel movies before Kevin Feige took control of everything and made them watchable. I've never liked any of Arad's produced films, and I think different producer leadership would have been a welcome regime change. Lastly is screenwriter Ehren Kruger. This is the guy who gave us leg-humping Transformers, screamingly offensive racial stereotypes in alien robot form, and Devastator's nuts dangling over John Turturro in Giza. The TF franchise went downhill under this guy's story skills, and that's a pretty low place to be.

So, with all of that, what did they get right? The visuals are insane. Weta was the lead VFX for both digital and practical FX, and it's incredible. Aspects of The Major's thermoptic body suit actually make more sense in this context (biggest example: the old anime version had nipples - why?), but I imagine it was more to get a PG-13 rating rather than raise the ire of the MPAA ratings board. Music is really good, but it's totally different from Kenji Kawai's film scores or Yoko Konno's series scores, so the fact that it doesn't call back to either of the older iterations in any way might be a minus. Not sure on that one.

To summarize, in many ways it really isn't a terrible movie if you're not familiar with the old GitS material before it. If you are, then the experience is considerably less impressive and far more derivative than it should have been. (Thank goodness we're getting a Blade Runner sequel this year.) Scarlett Johansson looks right for the part (ethnicity argument aside), and proves that she's capable of being a lead action movie star without that "try too hard syndrome" that so many female action leads suffer from. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but like so many adaptations, it's a gleaming monument to wasted opportunities. Like Kong, it's out of theaters, but it only had a month-long run. Probably also a July video release.

Ragnarok
05-13-2017, 11:31 PM
When I have the time I might drop a couple of reviews for Rogue One and Logan. I plan on seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and possibly the next Transformers film, and I may share my thoughts on them as well.

Spoon37
05-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Saw Rogue one quite recently, still shocked Disney had quite a good bash at a Star Wars movie... :chug: Still not sure why we had Darth Vaders molten lava house on mustafar, but oh well...

Dunno if 'The Last Jedi' will be worth anything though, sounds like they are a bout to annoy all star wars fans everywhere judging by the current trailer (i.e. "It's time for the Jedi to end.").

Fourth Protocol
05-14-2017, 09:12 AM
When I have the time I might drop a couple of reviews for Rogue One and Logan. I plan on seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and possibly the next Transformers film, and I may share my thoughts on them as well.

Rogue One tanked. As did Force Awakens, which was just a re-dress of scenes in Star Wars, Empre and Jedi.

Rogue One specifically had zero character development and hence depth, other than Donnie Yen's. And they killed that too, by killing him off in far too trivial a manner than the character deserves.

Both Rogue One and Force Awakens had less originality than Phantom Menace (Darth Maul rocked, regardless of the films other failings), and episodes 2 and 3, which had amazing city-scapes and much more believable space battles. Not saying they were good - just better than Rogue One and Force Awakens.

Suspect I'm overly critical because I saw the original three in the cinema when they were released in 1977, '80 and '83, when I was still a really impressionable kid. And because Empire is just so incredibly awesome for it's believability. What screen writer or director thinks to add the line "The first transport is away!", knowing the positive impact those words might have on the evacuating rebels?

ou812
05-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Not to get too far off topic but
If rangerboy invented a time machine would he get the axles or just keep his money?

FunkyHunk
06-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Not to get too far off topic but
If rangerboy invented a time machine would he get the axles or just keep his money?

The thread mission was to take this so far off topic it would never return.

But if I would have a guess I think he would keep the money.

On another topic, what do you think of this paint-finish?
Rattlecan baby!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/funkyhunk/RS2000/989B3526-86FA-4612-95E3-A56778B1154B.jpg

Spoon37
06-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Ooh shiny! :drool:

Either that or you are badass at rattle-can painting your own reflection... :dunno:

FunkyHunk
06-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Well Spoon, it goes something like this:
I sanded down the old paint, and bondo'd the bad spots, 400 grit wetsanding all over the panel.
Then I had spray filler over the entire panel, then wetsanded all high spots with 400, then 800 grit.
Then I applied three layers of red paint, and let that dry for a few days.
Then wetsanded with 1200 grit, and applied three liberal coats of clearcoat.
Then wetsanded with 2000, and polished it with a machine, three stages.

Nobody is going to guess that the car was painted by rattle can when I'm done.
I hope :)

Ragnarok
06-17-2017, 03:16 PM
From the pic you posted, nothing about it looks aerosol'ed. Very nice! :nice:

My workstation project manages to press on. A year after my keybed bloodbath, I purchased a Dell S2240T 21.5" 10pt multitouch LCD. Got it for a decent price ($250), tried it out, confirmed it worked (it looks gorgeous - touch doesn't work natively in OS X without a Touch-Base driver, but I knew that), then put it back in the box until I actually need it. :lol: Some promo photos of it. I didn't take any snaps while I had it out.

Next purchase will be a few small electronic things, like Spectra Symbol "Symbollinear" soft pot strips and Interlink Force Sensitive Resistor ribbons, and then probably the actual keyboard component itself (a Studiologic SL88 Grand…if they ever become available again). I also have some controller PCBs that have to either be bought or fabbed. After that, I may actually begin looking into getting the final design of the chassis/substructure itself worked out and started.

On the subject of keybeds/keyboards, what's pretty awesome is I've found someone over at the Midibox forum that's already built something that's not far from what I have intended. It's really a sweet instrument! He purchased his keybed DIRECT from Fatar, which blows my mind. I understood it was futile to attempt to do that, because unless you're buying in numbers of 100+ units they won't even reply to your emails. Hopefully he'll share how he did this. :) EDIT: He did. He acquired distributor status with the company, which is difficult to do. No worries, as I pretty much have a solution to my keybed needs. ;)

Here's the discussion over there: http://midibox.org/forums/topic/20324-story-of-a-keyboard-build/

I also have to get me a new vehicle. I inherited a '94 Ford Explorer a couple of years ago. It developed an idle problem last November (almost every single sensor has been replaced), and I've narrowed it down to the possibility of a vacuum leak somewhere. If I can't nail down where that's happening, I'm going to have to sell it because for a "free vehicle" I've dumped something like $4k into it, and I can't justify spending another penny unless it's toward a new rig. :nicolas:

I'm thinking of getting something GMT360-based, ie. Chevrolet Trailblazer or GMC Envoy (I'm not a fan of the looks of the Buick, Olds, Isuzu, or Saab variants - but I won't exclude them if they're all that's available when I'm ready to buy). They have really poor resale value, which is good for a buyer with shallow pockets like myself. As a result I can get something fairly nice and reliable for about $6K. Goal for that is no later than October. Then down the road, I'd like either a GMC Acadia (not the new shrunken-down 2nd gen), or a recent Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. One of my nieces recently got a new Honda Ridgeline. That is a WAY sweeter machine than I was originally led to believe, and it turned me on to consider a Pilot as part of my grander scheme of vehicle acquisition.

ou812
06-19-2017, 08:26 AM
El Cheapo brushless crawler system. 21 turn 1600kv on 3s.
Wheel speed is about 8mph perfect to sling mud.pulls front wheels off of the ground.
https://youtu.be/TiGOd9Wiw5U

ou812
06-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Today is build a 600psi rat trap day.Just have to figure out a design.Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/vWYlMqdtng4

ou812
06-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Rat smasher 2000
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/redlined_b16a/Mobile%20Uploads/20170621_150426.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/redlined_b16a/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170621_150426.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/redlined_b16a/Mobile%20Uploads/20170621_160851.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/redlined_b16a/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170621_160851.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/redlined_b16a/Mobile%20Uploads/20170621_160922.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/redlined_b16a/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170621_160922.jpg.html)

ou812
06-22-2017, 11:00 PM
Almost ready for a test run.
Few bugs to work out
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/redlined_b16a/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_203206.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/redlined_b16a/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_203206.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/redlined_b16a/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_200555.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/redlined_b16a/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_200555.jpg.html)

Will be piped in tommorow.Tank charged with 600psi which should equal 300lbs of rat crushing force.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/redlined_b16a/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_203217.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/redlined_b16a/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_203217.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/redlined_b16a/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_200552.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/redlined_b16a/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170622_200552.jpg.html)

Thorsteenster
01-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Evidently some things never die around here...
Grimace says spank dat chit!
:hippo:

Bullitt
01-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Hola Thor! God to see you crawled out from under your rock!

Harry

Spoon37
01-27-2018, 08:55 AM
We actually don't know how long this thread can go on for - but it is our intention to not let it die...

Welcome back :chug:

Ragnarok
01-28-2018, 01:39 AM

350TacoZilla
01-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Did Xzibit make that on the latest episode of "pimp my pizza"?

Ragnarok
01-28-2018, 01:55 AM
http://hvx-rc.com/forumstuff/yodawg/yodawg-something.jpg

Spoon37
01-28-2018, 05:09 AM
Yo dawg, herd u liek meme's....:nicolas:

Ragnarok
01-28-2018, 10:49 AM
I'm attempting a 2nd Hackintosh this week. It's a Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF micro tower, circa 2013-14. I inherited it about a year ago, and have finally had a reason to work on it. Really a nice size. Core i5-4570, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, slimline tray-load DVD-RW. I'm putting MacOS 10.10 on a 250GB SSD.

So far, it's been very difficult. I've installed the OS successfully, but the boot loader is apparently not configured properly. I'll fart around with it some more later today.

EDIT: SCREW IT! :mad: The Dell is a great Windows machine, and that's all I really needed it for. I'm just going to get me a used Mac Mini when I have the cash and call it a day.

Spoon37
01-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Sound like a plan...

Is this a good time to mention my start menu broke again? :lol: it's an intermittent issue with the win 10 fall creators update, which seems to most affect machines like mine that got upgraded from windows 7 - currently running a Microsoft start menu troubleshooter, as if that will work! :lolbeat:

Ragnarok
01-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Man, I hate computer problems, so I feel your pain. The only thing I hate worse is car problems.

After messing with my setup some more and getting nowhere, I decided to boot up into Windows…only now it won't.

I know what I did - turned off RAID and moved it to ACHI - which fuds the ruck up with the Windows disk. Now, I have to reinstall Windows, reinstall the freaking drivers, REINSTALL ALL OF THE PROGRAMS THAT TOOK HOURS TO DOWNLOAD!!! :rant: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Me -->:bomb: <-- Windows

Fudruckery, all.

Going to just see if I can take the SSD back out and install a bootloader for my current Hackintosh so I can run a more modern version of MacOS. 10.10 is what I have, and if I'm careful and plan it out with a secondary bootloader, I can jump up to 10.13 immediately. On an old X58-type system, that's easier said than done. That will probably be my Febtober Project. Unfortunately, I need it now. If I had the money, I'd just freaking build me the hell a damn new son of a **** computer.

FunkyHunk
01-29-2018, 01:50 PM
I'm upgrading my pc's main harddrive now, just ordered this: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD.
I hope it'll be faster than my old intel 80gb ssd.

Also, I got the Escort MK2 done, no indication as to me painting it with rattle cans :)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/LkdocQ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmLkdocQj)

Ragnarok
01-29-2018, 11:38 PM
M.2 drives are about as fast as anything can be at this point, so if your old Intel SSD was a SATA drive, you're definitely getting something faster with the Samsung. :nice:

Good looking car. :D Hoping to get me some new wheels this spring. The goal is to get some kind of mid-sized SUV (my increasing inflexibility demands it), ie. anything GMT360-based (Chevrolet Trail Blazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, etc.), or maybe a more recent and more reliable Explorer (or Mercury Mountaineer). The Fords are more plentiful on the used market than the GM SUVs, and they tend to be lower in price. My Explorer has sat for almost a year and a half, and I'm pretty sure it's dead forever and ever, amen. I've changed every sensor in the engine and checked for vacuum leaks, and nothing has solved it. :(

BTW, I have a question: has anyone here ever made a purchase from Aliexpress? Experiences? Good, bad?

Spoon37
02-11-2018, 01:57 AM
so..my PC crashed on Friday evening, with weird colours on the screen second monitor flashed a few times then it switched off.. hmm <_<

Starts up, only one monitor works and that has horizontal lines made of static even when booting up/performing P.O.S.T. so its not a driver issue as the drivers have not even loaded at that point. As far as I can identify(after much interwebs research onna phone) the GDDR5 on my GeForce GTX 780 has gone/fried! :rant:

So I ordered a new gfx card(Asus Geforce GTX 1060 3GB), but of course it wont be here till monday- meanwhile I have my 6+ year old craptop to use for stuff like this. Why couldn't it have gone on thursday? could have had a new card here by friday lol :lol:

So yeah basically wasted a couple of days on this nonsense so far. Oddly I ran my regular PC last night after it had 24 hours to cool off, and it will now power both monitors... but as soon as you run a game: trippy colours and crash within 10 seconds :banghead:

Ragnarok
02-11-2018, 02:35 AM
I'm definitely no computer expert, but I'd agree with the GPU fault theory. I'm also impressed that you were able to find a GTX 1060 to buy. They're nowhere to be found stateside because of the crypto mining insanity.

Spoon37
02-11-2018, 09:30 AM
well its the 1080/1080 Ti that are super pricey right now due to that, but it could be worse the AMD cards are even more sought after so the budget RX580 would set me back around £450+ and the RX Vega 64 RRP £390 is a cool £2000ish - and my gaming buddies are like "why didn't you buy AMD?" :lolbeat:

The 1060 I got is an Asus with 3gb set me back £260 ish to keep those prices in perspective :poke: (the 6GB version is about £320)

Spoon37
02-17-2018, 01:44 AM
Well everything works now - had some issues with my second monitor hooking up: I didn't know there were different types of DVI sockets, so this new card has DVI-D only, yet my older monitor has a variety of connectors all of them analogue (its trying to be a TV and monitor, so I could connect via RF/Scart etc) - so my old VGA -> DVI-I adapter did not work, nor did the passive VGA to DVI-D adapter I bought, so I had to grab one that has a chipset in it to convert the analogue signal into digital...now all works just fine.

The funny thing is both connectors/adapters were only around £5 on amazon so no great cost :lol:

I did think for one horrible moment that I might need a new monitor :poke:

Oggy
03-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Sticks head above parapet.

Hi guys anyone still remember me?

Spoon37
03-06-2018, 08:38 AM
who? :huh:

Welcome back Oggy! :poke: :lol:

Oggy
03-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Damn Spoon, I forgot about that, very nice.

I'm definitely back to stay, bought 4 RC in 2 weeks, since having to sell my motorbike on health grounds.

Spoon37
03-07-2018, 01:45 AM
That's good :chug: well... staying around here is good, ill health not so much :( :kick:

Just FYI the forums are a little slow lately, and we have a bit of a problem with spammers/bots filling the general discussion with video links and the suchlike. We are hitting them with the ban hammer, but it feels like whack-a-mole :shoot:

Oggy
03-07-2018, 07:33 AM
I guess I better get myself a project then, and make the forums a little busier.

Sadly I have suspected Crohn's disease, should know by the end of April if that is definite.

Spoon37
03-08-2018, 06:54 AM
Ooh that sucks, good that you are getting it checked out though - fingers crossed it isn't as bad as you think :nice:

I have just been reading a book which mentioned that a few times actually, its called Gluten Exposed, and the idea is to address what gluten is, when and where removing it from your diet actually helps, and where it doesn't do jack... the point here is that apparently what a lot of people do these days is go "gluten free" as a kind of catch-all to solve all illness, and because they think its doing them good they then don't get symptoms of GI disorders checked out and can miss stuff like IBS/IBD till it reaches later stages :poke:

it was an interesting read, but a bit heavy on the medical jargon/details...

Thorsteenster
09-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Man, I hate computer problems, so I feel your pain. The only thing I hate worse is car problems.

After messing with my setup some more and getting nowhere, I decided to boot up into Windows…only now it won't.

I know what I did - turned off RAID and moved it to ACHI - which fuds the ruck up with the Windows disk. Now, I have to reinstall Windows, reinstall the freaking drivers, REINSTALL ALL OF THE PROGRAMS THAT TOOK HOURS TO DOWNLOAD!!! :rant: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Me -->:bomb: <-- Windows

Fudruckery, all.

Going to just see if I can take the SSD back out and install a bootloader for my current Hackintosh so I can run a more modern version of MacOS. 10.10 is what I have, and if I'm careful and plan it out with a secondary bootloader, I can jump up to 10.13 immediately. On an old X58-type system, that's easier said than done. That will probably be my Febtober Project. Unfortunately, I need it now. If I had the money, I'd just freaking build me the hell a damn new son of a **** computer.

If you haven't done this yet, you can switch from RAID to AHCI without reinstall with 10. I found it on Google after my workstation died and trying to find another computer with RAID to boot my drive. You set it to start in safe mode, reboot, change BIOS to AHCI while rebooting, go into safe mode, disable safe mode, then reboot again. If it works, Bob's your uncle. Here's what I followed:
https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/