PDA

View Full Version : 1.55 Suzuki Samurai *detail update 2-12-10*

DixieScaler
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I finally got motivated to get something started around the Losi MRC. I think what took me so long was the fact that so much of the MRC uses 2mm hardware, and I'm a 3mm kind of guy. But when I realized that the Samurai body is a very close match to the MRC wheelbase, I figured I'd proceed, hoping I won't have to make any major link adjustments.

TCS L-trail prototype chassis rails
MRC drivetrain in stock configuration
interior from a Marui Big Bear
RC4WD 1.55's with Mud Thrashers
Speedway Pal Samurai body

The only upgrade from stock MRC form so far is a Hot Racing aluminum steering drag link. From what I hear, I'm planning that I'll have to upgrade the diff lockers.

Here it is with some custom mounts for the front suspension, the shape of which I may adjust later. Also I've got a 3Racing winch mounted to a HPI bumper.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2728/4305414704_cce2439414_o.jpg

The delrin chassis is not rigid enough for my liking, but I'm adding lots of heavy cross braces and hopefully it will work out, also considering that this should be a relatively light rig compared to my 1.9's. The big chassis plate up front (bumper mount) you can see here is 1/4" Delrin (about 6.5mm).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4304671725_28144f2095_o.jpg

Got the interior partially mounted, as well as rear bumper and tire carrier. Lexan body is just rough cut for now- will trim after painting. Even though I'm starting with 2-channel Losi radio equipment, I wanted to go ahead and put a decent winch on there in case I upgrade radio gear and want the winch functional later.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4305414854_cf1f866bec_o.jpg

I tried something different in my neverending quest for hidden body mounting systems. This time (for the front) I have a sturdy mount with 3mm screw shafts protruding up through the lexan body. Then I screw on a plastic dummy offroad light to secure it. The only problem is that the location is very near the rear hood seam, but I prob won't mark in the seam lines anyway, so it shouldn't be noticeable that they are slightly in an unrealistic position.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4304671759_311c779a8c_o.jpg

Here's a better look underneath at the braces for the body mounts. It also holds the front of the interior, which you can see I had to hack a hole in because the Big Bear dash is curved, but the Samurai windshield frame is straight.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4304671993_7c2fbb9f73_o.jpg

The new 1.55 Dirt Grabbers arrived, but they are tiny!! 3" outside diameter. They'll have to go under a 1/12th body. Too itty bitty for this Suzuki.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4305415020_280086e22f_o.jpg

And... the obligatory flexers:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4305414962_eda96f159b_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4304671851_a3ab3bbae6_o.jpg

Still lots left to do but this has been an enjoyable build so far. Need to get me a matching spare for the carrier.

Now working on rear interior mount and rear lexan body mount.

Badd
01-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Very nice Heath !! I'm diggin" the front body mounts .

rctoyguy
01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
ingenious body mounts... Might have to steal that trick someday... I'll never be creative enough to come up with stuff like that.

bananaclip
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
The body mount is brilliant! I love these little zuk's.:blush:

sk8te-penguin
01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
The front mounts are great idea!, Looks good so far, and 78/25R15 was standard fitment I think?

Cue-Ball
01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Excellent idea on the body mounts. I never would have thought of that.

It looks like the whole thing is coming together. The wheel and tire combo looks just about right with the body.

pantablo
01-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Great idea on the mounts. Dirt Grabbers look like stock tires on that, lol.

grahamg
01-26-2010, 01:49 PM
The body mount is brilliant! I love these little zuk's.:blush:

X2 to this great build I'm seeing more of these builds maybe at so piont in the furture I'm going to have to build one :) keep up the great work

Brandon81
01-26-2010, 05:10 PM
This thing is looking great Heath! I say run those dirt grabbers. My 1:1 samurai only has 235s (roughly 29" tires).:D I know you will want the more capable tires on this one though.

nascarkeith3
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Looking sweet! Body mounts are a good idea.....a good idea shared by two minds. Its funny we talked about that at the last gtg and you pulled it off. Its good to know it can be done. Got any plans for the paint yet?

lappdogg
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
great job heath.. it's looking sweet! i will be trying your body mount idea for sure.

Zuki90
01-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Nice Samurai man!!!:drool:

AWSOME idea on the body mounts!

Is that an outback series bumper?

:chug: to a fellow Zukr!

DixieScaler
01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys! I think the front body mounts should work out ok. Since I haven't tested it out yet, I'm thinking I can replace the screw with a longer or shorter one if I need to, to adjust the body height a little.

X2 to this great build I'm seeing more of these builds maybe at so piont in the furture I'm going to have to build one :) keep up the great work

Yea I had been seeing all the new Suzuki's for the last year too, and I had picked up the body many months ago and finally got to where I was ready to start the project.

This thing is looking great Heath! I say run those dirt grabbers. My 1:1 samurai only has 235s (roughly 29" tires).:D I know you will want the more capable tires on this one though.

So you're voting for the little Dirt Grabbers? hehe. We'll see. I was thinking that I prob couldn't keep up with a CC01 with those baby stock tires lol. :lol: .....but.....it could be a cool & different look as opposed to most other Samurai builds, which have tires close to the Mud Thrashers. eh, I'll have to mock them up on there and see if they make me laugh or not.

Hey, I still haven't seen your 1:1. What color is yours?

Looking sweet! Body mounts are a good idea.....a good idea shared by two minds. Its funny we talked about that at the last gtg and you pulled it off. Its good to know it can be done. Got any plans for the paint yet?

Well you've answered a question I've had in my head the whole time I've been building this. I knew I had talked to someone about the body mounts, but couldn't remember who. I think you asked me if the dummy offroad hood lights on my Bronco held the body on (which they don't) but that sure got me to thinking. Thanks for the spark Keith!

And about the paint. It's gonna be the blue version of the anodized paint that's on my green Bronco. I've used it before on a vintage class touring car:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3324387009_bf6d5767b2.jpg

I was really pleased with how it turned out on the Mustang, and I think it'll look great on an 80's Samurai. Whatcha think?

Nice Samurai man!!!:drool:

AWSOME idea on the body mounts!

Is that an outback series bumper?

:chug: to a fellow Zukr!

Thanks man! and good eye. yes that's an Outback bumper, and tire carrier as well. The bumper is delrin, and the carrier is aluminum. I had to cut somewhere between 3/8" and 1/2" (can't recall exactly) off each end of the delrin bumper to narrow it to match the Samurai body width.

nascarkeith3
01-27-2010, 09:08 AM
That anodized blue is going to be sweet!!!

DixieScaler
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
A little more progress and some testing. Good and bad to follow

First the good: finished battery tray and batt keeper.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4310677240_e723d0e09d_o.jpg

Next, finished the interior cargo deck cover as a way to hide the internals, when viewed through the windows. I've never had an interior in my Bronco, and you can just see all sorts of guts, wires, and led's flickering through the windows and it has always bothered me a little so I wanted to do a better job of hiding on this one.

The setup also serves as a support for the rear of the Big Bear interior.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2783/4310677278_95b37c8bf0_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/4309940761_ed4e439463_o.jpg

Then I got all the stock Losi electronics swapped over and was ready to try it all out. Here's where the bad part comes in. I had taken the servo saver off and started testing over an obstacle on the carpet floor when I hear awful plastic gear stripping sounds eminating from the Losi servo. Not good. It was only doing that under heavy load, but I'm not used to that. I've only ever stripped one servo, and it was on a heavy TXT-1 rig. I didn't expect the Losi electronics to be great, but it's clear that I'll have to upgrade the stock servo very soon. Unfortunately, I don't think I have room for a standard size servo, so I guess I'll take a look at Hitec's mini.

After I tested some, it was clear that I've got a lot of suspension tuning to do. The stock Losi shocks & springs in the configuration I have them in results in a floppy, unstable ride, with waaay to much flex. This often resulted in the front tire so far stuffed up into the fender well that it was became bound and stuck between the fender and chassis rail. So, I've either gotta mess with the stock springs or change them out.

When I had had enough of testing, I started thinking that I just might consider those 1.55 Dirt Grabbers that seemed so unfeasible and small when I showed the comparison pic with the 1.55 Mud Thrashers. I still haven't decided, but I'm considering dropping the chassis height and having a very close to stock rig, like Brandon was referring to a few posts back.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4309940799_0273e748f7_o.jpg

(Ignore the mismatched spare in this pic)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4310677382_f43840b474_o.jpg

If I went this route, it wouldn't be as capable as it would with the 1.55 Mud Thrashers, but the smaller tires would be much less demanding on the steering servo, and drive train in general. With my driving style, I have serious doubts about the MRC holding up to my wheeling. Plus, with most of the Samurai builds I've seen having aggressive, relatively large tires, maybe mine would be a bit different with small, stock tires.

Hey Keith and Brandon, why'd you go selling your CC-01's? I'm gonna need somebody to run with 'cause I'll never keep up with the Honchos with this one lol. :lol:

One last thing. Has anybody noticed or had issues with 1.55's fitting well on the Kawada wheels? Some pics I've seen look like people have reduced 1.9's on the Kawada's, but the 1.55 Dirt Grabbers don't seem to fit well at all around the bead. I realize the Kawada's are made for Tamiya M-chassis tires for cars, but when I put the Grabbers on there Kawada rim doesn't extend out far enough to fit with the Grabber's bead. You can see a little of what I'm talking about looking closely on those last two photo's. Any experience and feedback using the Kawada's is appreciated!

buggy27
01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Man I just love the Sammy build. Makes me wish I hadnt sold either of my 1:1's I had years ago.

yousarian
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
that looks awsome. im thinking of doing somthing similer to this but with a diffrent shell. i think the dirt grabbers look better on there.

Zuki90
01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
:thinking:.....huh, not sure what happened to your stock servo.

Im running the stock servo and she's doin great....

A tad on the weak side in "extreme" situations but I havent
had any probs with it yet...

Thats cool what you did with the rear to cover up the
electronics!

Zuki90

fixed1313
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a MRC comp rig and the stock servo was the first thing to go, started grinding from the start, again its a comp rig so I used a full size servo so I can't give any advice on a mini, sorry. I would keep the larger tires and work on the suspension to get it to do what you want. Sounds to me like you just need to limit it so you don't shove the tire into the well so far. Part of your problem is the stock shocks, toss those in the junk pile and get some good shocks and springs, stiffer springs will limit the travel some too. If you instal limiter bushings inside the shocks and get some stiffer springs I think you will have the suspension sorted out.

pantablo
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
One last thing. Has anybody noticed or had issues with 1.55's fitting well on the Kawada wheels? Some pics I've seen look like people have reduced 1.9's on the Kawada's, but the 1.55 Dirt Grabbers don't seem to fit well at all around the bead.
I cut my 1.9's down to 1.5. The problem you have is that the tires are 1.55, not 1.5. The wheels are 1.5. To this day I don't understand why RC4WD would make them 1.55 except to make it necessary you buy only their wheels. Would have been nice if they'd think of the bigger picture.

1.9 thrashers reduced to 1.5 on kawada wheels
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/pantablo/BlackfootV2/0052.jpg

k5 willy
01-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Like the zuke builds,this is a cool one.

DixieScaler
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Man I just love the Sammy build. Makes me wish I hadnt sold either of my 1:1's I had years ago.

that looks awsome. im thinking of doing somthing similer to this but with a diffrent shell. i think the dirt grabbers look better on there.

:thinking:.....huh, not sure what happened to your stock servo.

Im running the stock servo and she's doin great....

A tad on the weak side in "extreme" situations but I havent
had any probs with it yet...

Thats cool what you did with the rear to cover up the
electronics!

Zuki90

Thanks, looks like I'm getting some votes for bigger Mud Thrashers, and some for the small stock-looking Dirt Grabbers. I'll have to see how things play out as I figure out the suspension before I decide I guess.

Glad you like the rear cover. I've been slowly trying to work on more scale appearance on my rigs. Been doing better on hidden body mounts lately, and now working on hiding internals. Next I need to look into making black inner fender wells to hide things behind the wheels, looking up into the frame/chassis.

I have a MRC comp rig and the stock servo was the first thing to go, started grinding from the start, again its a comp rig so I used a full size servo so I can't give any advice on a mini, sorry. I would keep the larger tires and work on the suspension to get it to do what you want. Sounds to me like you just need to limit it so you don't shove the tire into the well so far. Part of your problem is the stock shocks, toss those in the junk pile and get some good shocks and springs, stiffer springs will limit the travel some too. If you instal limiter bushings inside the shocks and get some stiffer springs I think you will have the suspension sorted out.

Sounds like some good advice. I'll probably experiment with some other shocks. I've got a set of GPM shocks that I think may work. They are 60mm rears and 55mm fronts I believe.

I guess my thinking on this build is that I would try the stock servo and shocks first, then decide if I need to upgrade. Looks like that'll be an easier decision that I first thought...

I cut my 1.9's down to 1.5. The problem you have is that the tires are 1.55, not 1.5. The wheels are 1.5. To this day I don't understand why RC4WD would make them 1.55 except to make it necessary you buy only their wheels. Would have been nice if they'd think of the bigger picture.

Thanks for pointing out that size difference Pablo. I didn't realize that and had never measured the 1.5's. I agree it would have been nice if RC4WD would have designed to match the 1.5's.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it, it does help.

Brandon81
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Dirt grabbers all the way!!!:nice: That thing is gonna be so cool.
I am really liking the delrin work you are doing with this build. Very clean.

If you run the dirt grabbers I can mount up the smaller SDI grip doctor tires on my scout and we could run them together. I think that would make for some nice scale drivin'!

nascarkeith3
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I sold my CC-01 because Brandon sold his and to give someone else a chance in the CC-01 class at the summer comp this year.:rofl: Mine was a great rig I just never really drove it since no one else had one.

We just need to build MRC rigs now and add that as a class at the next comp.:D

I'm gonna go against the flow and say that I kinda like the smaller tires. So far so the progress is looking good. I have always been interested in MRC builds but this is really tempting me to start on of my own.

Mascman
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
This is looking good too!

For hidden mounts, just use industrial velcro.

My cage system supports the body very well, and the velcro holds it down tight...it's actually a little hard to remove so no fear of the body popping off.

Velco strips are right above the sliders:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/76747/0317080817.jpg

DixieScaler
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
This is looking good too!

For hidden mounts, just use industrial velcro.

My cage system supports the body very well, and the velcro holds it down tight...it's actually a little hard to remove so no fear of the body popping off.

Velco strips are right above the sliders:

Thanks. I probably will use industrial velcro at some point down the road for body purposes. I've been using the industrial for a while now on my batteries, and you're right, it does hold very well. Nice looking truck btw. Love how the cage looks surrounding the driver and seats.

:update:

Looks like I'm gonna be going with the itty bitty 3" Dirt Grabbers to start with. I swapped out the stock Losi shocks for these GPM ones, and it's a world of difference, for the better. I just need to do something about those ugly purple springs.

With the comparitively long Losi shocks gone, the chassis is much more stable, and all that excess flex is gone. The reduced articulation now is completely adequate, especially considering this one will be on the stock/mild side of things.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4314816242_701ce73012_o.jpg

I really wanted the look of the small Kawada wheels, but I haven't overcome the issue with the misfit of the 1.55 tires on the 1.5 wheels. Beads not matching up. So, I elected to go with the black 1.55 beadlocks that just arrived from RC4WD. Not sure if I'm gonna love the black color yet, will have to wait and see after body painting. The new wheels are nice though. Mounted right up no problems.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4314816186_0fc44004d4_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2796/4314079355_ba068698b7_o.jpg

One new issue did crop up though as a result of lowering the chassis. My wheelbase grew a little bit, and it was already a bit too long, so I'm gonna have to adjust front links to correct it, then I think it should be good enough for a field trial.

Brandon81
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
This is shaping up to be one of my favorite builds ever! I really like the mild/stock look. I bet it will be so much fun to drive.

tractors4u
01-29-2010, 09:21 PM
I've always liked the Sammy's. looking great so far!

Zuki90
02-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I tell ya what, those tires and wheels look sexy!!!!!!

Wow, sexy sexy sexy....Great choice!

Keep up the good work, love sammys:nice:

DixieScaler
02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I've always liked the Sammy's. looking great so far!

I tell ya what, those tires and wheels look sexy!!!!!!

Wow, sexy sexy sexy....Great choice!

Keep up the good work, love sammys:nice:

Thanks guys. I was surprised at how well I ended up liking the tiny 3" Dirt Grabbers.

:update:
Had a chance to test this lil thing out and what I learned is you don't have to have huge tires and rock killing performance to have a ton of fun.

The build is about 95% finished. I'm gonna swap out the stock servo when I get a chance, but other than that I just need to do a little more detailing.

I plan to work on the interior, including driver figure, steering wheel, shifter, and paint the interior.

On the outside I need to get a license plate and one day put a matching spare. The one that's on there now is hard rock rubber toy spare off of a Hong Kong defender body, because it's the only thing I had that was small enough, besides touring car wheel/tire that didn't look right.

On to the outdoor pics. Some posers, some action:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4324170032_0a682a6129_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4323657948_1c0130132b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4323434277_71dd3955c2_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4323434471_cdf6a22cfc_o.jpg

Here's a good size comparison pic of my "baby" sized Samurai between Brandon81's TLT Scout and ScubaScaler's SCX10.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2582/4324169956_9c49a1b06a_o.jpg

Here's a link to the video thread to see it in action.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45869

96dak
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Thats a sweet sammy! How well do those dirt grabbers hook up?

buggy27
02-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Frakin SWEET! Great video, ok so now build one for me...LOL!!!

mar618
02-01-2010, 08:53 PM
looks great with those tires

nataliemorgan
02-01-2010, 10:07 PM
cool video! looks like you guys have some awesome terrain to play on!

Brandon81
02-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Great job Heath.

Like Heath said you don't need huge tires to have huge fun! I really enjoyed watching this little Samurai!

sk8te-penguin
02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Awesome!!! Pure awesome

rctoyguy
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Looks great man... :nice:

Peter of A.
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Great wheels fitment ! I love these lil' Suzuki !

BOZER
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Pretty clean Sammy!!! Love your colour choice. On this 1.55 wheels the rig looks very finished!:excited:

mgb
02-02-2010, 12:16 PM
love that paint job, nice choice of color. great spot for driving. can't wait to see it with and interior. :nice:

RCJEEPBUILDER
02-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Best looking sami i have ever seen! Love the video as well!

pana651
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Sweet Zuk, tires are... PERFECT :nice:

nascarkeith3
02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Holy Scale, Batman! That thing looks great. The wheel and tire combo fit it perfectly and the color is purdy.

lappdogg
02-05-2010, 08:14 PM
heath it looks so good! cameron wants one now.......

eddievedder
02-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Verrrrrrry nice sammy!!!! Great job. I think it looks perfect. What color paint did you use?

ducatiman
02-10-2010, 08:04 AM
That's a very sweet looking zuki! How did the 1.55s preform, did you drill an air hole into the bead lock?

Boone
02-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Great little Sammy, sure flex's alot better than mine, darn leafs! Great video as well!

rampage
02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
The rig looks great! Personally I think the DGs at 3.0" look perfect on there! But a liiiiittle bit bigger a tire would be nice!

If you still feel those tires are too small, RC4WD's got these in proto stage right now!

http://tracgear.com/product/rc4wd/axle/Worminator/g8/DSC_1572.jpg

1.55" with a 3.3" OD. A little larger then the 3.0" DGs, but smaller then the 3.74" Thrashers.

I'm very excited about them! This's what I've been waiting for for a long time!

1BadJeepBruiser
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
This came out great! the tire wheel combo is PERFECT!

DixieScaler
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Holy Scale, Batman! That thing looks great. The wheel and tire combo fit it perfectly and the color is purdy.

Thanks Keith!

heath it looks so good! cameron wants one now.......

I was wondering if he's using his MRC much, in stock form. Seems only natural to turn it into a scaler. :D

Verrrrrrry nice sammy!!!! Great job. I think it looks perfect. What color paint did you use?

Thanks man. The paint is Tamiya PS-49 "Sky Blue Anodized Aluminum", rattle can.

That's a very sweet looking zuki! How did the 1.55s preform, did you drill an air hole into the bead lock?

No, I haven't drilled an air hole. Don't know if it will be necessary or not. The 1.55 Dirt Grabbers did just ok, but they're very small and IMO aren't the same type of performance tire as Mud Thrashers or Rox Lox for example. They fit the bill for scale appearance though. (note: I've only used these Dirt Grabbers on rock so far)

Great little Sammy, sure flex's alot better than mine, darn leafs! Great video as well!

Thanks Boone. For pure scale looks, I would have rather had leafs on this one, but I had never really planned it on this build. Glad you liked the video too.

The rig looks great! Personally I think the DGs at 3.0" look perfect on there! But a liiiiittle bit bigger a tire would be nice!

If you still feel those tires are too small, RC4WD's got these in proto stage right now!

Hey the pic of the tires you posted is very interesting. Nice scale looking tire and if they do end up being 3.3" O.D., then those might be a nice alternate set of tires I could swap onto my Samurai.

This came out great! the tire wheel combo is PERFECT!

Thanks! The black wheels and little Dirt Grabbers were not what I originally planned to go on this build, but it's turned out to be probably my most scale looking rig I have.

OK, time for a small :update:

First of all, I don't think I listed before what some of the previous updates were. On the exterior, I added side mirrors from the Tamiya Wrangler kit, and wipers from the Axial detail parts tree. Axial's wipers are very small, and I wondered what I would ever use them on, but they fit quite nicely on the Suzuki IMO.

Since the trial test run and outdoor pics, I've worked on a few small details.

This first pic shows where I made an aluminum backer (0.016") for the license plate. Since this tag is not gonna be mounted in a position flush with the lexan body, I wanted it to be rigid. (yea yea I realize my tag decals have expired lol)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4351727548_22ab2bc7fc_o.jpg

I also added a single rear light (from Axial Honcho light kit), scale4x4rc decal, and fuel tank underneath. If you look behind the spare tire carrier, you'll see where I have two button head screws going through the body as body mounts. I was gonna position my tag a little further toward the center, but it blocks my body mounting screw access. Try to overlook the cheapo mismatched spare. I'm planning to add a matching spare later....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4350977821_22a66d290b_o.jpg

This is a little better look at the fuel tank. I reduced a radio box from the Axial SCX10 kit.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4351727616_77179f8d94_o.jpg

pantablo
02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
great detail work! Looks awesome.

ColberZ
02-13-2010, 12:45 AM
VERY nice Heath!! Cant wait to see it go! :nice:

B-man
02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Outstanding looking rig Dixie.. Top Notch.

Definately like it better with the dirt grabbers.

happyelk
02-18-2010, 06:55 AM
This is a really great looking little Zuki!

The small Dirt Grabbers look absolutely right under this body - really scale - and your idea for the body-mounts is simply genious :nice:

lowslowTJ
02-20-2010, 12:33 AM
AMAzing build! the tires are just right for scale! Well done!

nascarkeith3
02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Wow, Heath, your rear end looks great!

Wait a minute, that didn't sound right. Sammi looks good. Did you have a Scale 4x4 decal that small or did you have to make it?

DixieScaler
02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks some more guys. I'm glad to see that people like the size of the small 1.55 Dirt Grabbers. Even though this rig isn't as capable as my others, I really like the scale proportions.

Keith, I made the little scale4x4rc decal. I just printed it the same way I do my license plates, on normal 4x6 photo paper. But I did want the decal to be on the inside of the back window, so I used some Scotch double-sided tape to stick it on there. That double-sided tape isn't crystal clear, but it worked fine for this application.

I still need to learn a better way to do my own decals. Aside from the tags I make, I've really only used some true adhesive sheets to print those driver numbers I made for our scale comp, and the way I did it wasn't ideal. They were layered up and kind of a hassle.

RandallCM
02-21-2010, 10:16 PM
AMazing rig man. I love the semi stock appearance. Color & everythings spot on sir.

DixieScaler
02-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Appreciate that Randall.

I thought I had my matching spare on the way, but I got an email notice a few days ago saying both the wheels & tires are both on backorder. :(

caddy_sonoma92
02-21-2010, 11:45 PM
i like it good job on the delrin work im doing the same on my x trail chassis coming along great just have to find time to start on it now that i have my axles will be posting soon.

wyoming
02-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Looking pretty darn sweet, I really like seeing a Samurai thats not overly modded. I'm one of those car guys that always feels kind of sad seeing lots of nice classic trucks with fenders all cut up and such. when ever I see a survivor of those "truck butchers" I have to smile. :drool:

Positronic
02-22-2010, 02:27 AM
These are one of my fave builds (sammy on mrc), and yours is awesome. I test drove one last year and it had coils not leafs, they are called sierra's in Australia, I forget what year it was, I like how yours is very stock. Great details :)

tramp
03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
fantastic.... what a great build i have a 1:1 samauri and have always wondered about making a scale copy, it looks great, and I think the wheels and tyres on it are just right for scale apperance

keep up the good work,

cheers luke

ceejay21
03-28-2010, 04:26 AM
Thats a great scale Samurai :) the stock effect looks great ;)

"Dave"
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
That's a really sweet truck, the 1.55's make it. Where did you manage to find the shell...?

DixieScaler
04-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys! I need to do some more updates to it, namely it needs interior work and driver, but I'm distracted by other projects at the moment.

That's a really sweet truck, the 1.55's make it. Where did you manage to find the shell...?

The body is made by Speed Way Pal and I got it on eBay. The seller is jr-rc and he is located in Japan (really good seller).

tramp
04-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Ive just read through the thread again, Fantastic! :nice:

but I do have a little (i hope constructive) critisism, Everything looks great but why did you use the tiny wingwirrors? wouldn't it be better to use some more like on an 1.1?

not that the mirrors spoil the build at all and I'm not wanting to sound like an *** because it is a great build!

Luke

"Dave"
11-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Hey Dix,
Found me a Samurai shell, and have been donated an MRC; since I love how yours turned out so much, I figured I'd have a bash.

Just a couple more questions; what servo did you end up using, and is the paint on the soft top just regular matt black acrylic, or anything vaguely special?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Rod.

scalepaintn
01-22-2011, 09:13 AM
now that looks like a lota fun. great sami..

midship909
01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
i love how those dirt grabbers look very scale. Now make it leaf sprung lol

Magicmarker77
01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Sweet looking Sammy
I need to do one of these

Landcruiser FJ40
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
this is one of the best looking sammys ive seen so far

bayareaaxial
02-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I really like this build looks great

scalepaintn
03-03-2011, 07:59 AM
anythang new to show your peps. lol:lolbeat:

sk8te-penguin
03-03-2011, 08:40 AM
That is one sexy sammi!!! Any pics of the wipers and mirrors? Can you lift the fuel tank up a little? Seems to me it hangs a bit too low. :)