PDA

View Full Version : My other XR311....

Grahame
01-26-2005, 03:34 PM
This is the other XR311 I have built, this is an original version that came from Ebay with a replacement body set.

I stripped and rebuilt the chassis, and painted the body in a similar way to my reissue version.

The reason behind buying and building it was as a surprise for a friend of mine in the UK, he always nagged me to sell him my XR but I said no. Then he offered to trade for an r/c heli, so I bought this one and rebuilt it without telling him and sent it to him when it was done - he loved it and sent the heli by return post :banana:

http://img195.exs.cx/img195/9130/gaxr311a4qa.jpg

http://img195.exs.cx/img195/5332/gaxr311b3ua.jpg

http://img195.exs.cx/img195/6161/gaxr311c1dy.jpg

It now lives in his display cabinet at home and he shows it to everyone that visits!

Thanks for looking
G

Jugg2Driver
01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
I want one of those so bad! What did you use to weather it?

Grahame
01-27-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Jugg2Driver@Jan 26 2005, 03:43 PM
I want one of those so bad! What did you use to weather it?
Hiya

If you take a look at my other XR311 thread I've described quickly how the two cars were weathered, I used the same technique on both.

I don't know if it would be of use to anyone but I could write a more detailed description of painting and weathering and post it, maybe with a few 'step by step' style photos? If anyone is interested, LMK.

G :banana:

Jugg2Driver
01-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Grahame if you would be willing to do that then I would pin it at the top!

Spoon37
01-27-2005, 09:07 AM
a painting guide would be good, but I would suggest you post it in the tips and tricks forum - makes it easier to find later...

I love your vehicles, you've taken a lot of time to get the look just right....it almost shames my runner xr311 - which I admit I bought assembled and realised the guy had not bothered to paint but just stuck the decals on the molded green shell....I am re-painting the driver as the person who owned originally seemed to think one coat of paint with no undercoat would be fine, that and the driver looked like he was wearing lipstick... :lol:

:banana:

Jugg2Driver
01-27-2005, 09:24 AM
LOL, I think your driver may be a bit confused!!

Grahame
01-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Jugg2Driver@Jan 27 2005, 08:40 AM
Grahame if you would be willing to do that then I would pin it at the top!
Hiya

I'll make a start and put a few words together, and if I have any useful pics already I'll use them - otherwise, I'll see if I have something here to work on and take shots as I go :banana:

Can't say for sure when it will be ready but I'll keep you informed :chug:

G

Jugg2Driver
01-27-2005, 09:27 AM
No problems, just work on it when you can. Tips and "How To's" like that are worth the time and effort it takes to put together!

Grahame
01-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Spoon37@Jan 27 2005, 09:07 AM
a painting guide would be good, but I would suggest you post it in the tips and tricks forum - makes it easier to find later...

I love your vehicles, you've taken a lot of time to get the look just right....it almost shames my runner xr311 - which I admit I bought assembled and realised the guy had not bothered to paint but just stuck the decals on the molded green shell....I am re-painting the driver as the person who owned originally seemed to think one coat of paint with no undercoat would be fine, that and the driver looked like he was wearing lipstick... :lol:

:banana:
Ah yes, when I first got this XR the original driver was included and he looked like a very badly made-up pantomime dame, with red lips and cheeks :blink:

Actually the figures are where I really started with 'proper' painting techniques, I was building 1:6 scale figures for one of the magazines the company I work for used to publish. Then I got back into 1:35 scale military vehicles and learned the techniques for that from an excellent colleague :nice:

I'm not far from painting the driver for my Clod tuber too, so I might get some pics as I go for that too.

G

shodog
02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Grahame, you know your XR311 was the inspriation for me to finish off mine. I really like the weathering effect you gave it.

Pro-4x4
02-13-2005, 05:47 AM
Nicly done! love it-so dam real! well done. :nice: