PDA

View Full Version : Tips, Tricks, and How to's

Jugg2Driver
06-16-2004, 10:21 PM
First tip, how to make drifting tires!

Easiest way is to buy some 2in PVC pipe, cut it to the correct width to fit the wheel you have chosen. Once done, you should round off the edges so it will slide more easily. Then to secure it to the wheel you can either glue it or put double sided tape on the wheel and press the tire onto the wheel.

Once I have some good pics I will post them!

Spoon37
06-23-2004, 05:31 PM
hmm oddness....

does this really aid drifting? I know most RC tends to grip a bit too well to drift properly but I cant imagine the PVC pipe would give enuff control??

also is this for the rears only or do you do this on all 4 wheels?

;)

Jugg2Driver
06-23-2004, 10:52 PM
All 4 wheels, and for what I have seen in videos the lack of traction is the point in using PVC tires.

Once I get my TL01 done I'll post some vids!

offroadford4x4
10-21-2004, 03:02 PM
I have also heard the you can use electical tape wraped around the tires to also aid in drifting. I have yet to try it but want to sometime.

vtecracing
12-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by offroadford4x4@Oct 21 2004, 02:02 PM
I have also heard the you can use electical tape wraped around the tires to also aid in drifting. I have yet to try it but want to sometime.
ive never drifted with my car before but i have a hpi rs4 sport2 and i just recently made tires out of pvc--will post results when i try --and yes u can use electrical tape as well

offroaderforlife
12-07-2004, 06:28 AM
i have tryed drifting but i have done it on need for spped under ground 2, it is really fun i might have to try it

offroadford4x4
12-22-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm actualy using electrical tape on my Pro3 now, works great. I been messing with driftin since last week and it's a ton of fun.

You can also use ABS pipe. It's just PVC but it's a lil softer and is black so it looks a bit more real. (rather than the white pvc tires) Also the ABS since it's a lil softer also gives a tiny bit more traction which doesn't hurt the ability to drift but aids in keeping the vehicle under control.

If you get a realy hard compound rubber tire, even on smoother concrete and blacktop surfaces you can drift. More power is needed to so usualy but it can be done.

bjh
01-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Cool!!! I never knew that they were making real drifting R/C cars!!! (seen in another thread from KingKobra) me and my mate use to "drift" his bearhawk years ago!! it use to be the only thing we did for quite a long time. we didn't do anything special wit the tyres (except running them bald on the back) but use to do it in the kitchen on the lino or tiles worked too!! We use to put 4 drops of washing detergent into a cup full of water and then mix it over the intire floor!!! we had so much fun running the car like this:) we use to watch the tyres get skinner and skinner as the bearhawk crawled crossed up towards us!! brings back memorys. we did it sometimes with the little Charg G cars too!! lol so much fun:)

Brandon..

Dyer13
06-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I have drifted on tile with a HPI sprint...tons of fun.....
PE (poly-ethylene) also works great for tires, as it is slightly softer than PVC, so you get a little (barely any, but some) traction, and still slides like anything else...

Insomniac
07-10-2005, 03:28 PM
PE ? is that that same as ABS? I know many drifters use that as well...

Gavstar
06-25-2006, 04:00 AM
could anyone post some pics or something please...sorry to sound so blonde n dumb :P but i wouldn't mind making some xD

Gav :nice:

vlozity
06-29-2006, 03:29 AM
hmm oddness....

does this really aid drifting? I know most RC tends to grip a bit too well to drift properly but I cant imagine the PVC pipe would give enuff control??

also is this for the rears only or do you do this on all 4 wheels?

;)

we do it on all four wheels. yes, pvc makes the car loose traction ... the solution is to use 23t or 27t motors. any motor lower than 23t will just make the car spin using pvc or abs, thats why they use drift rubber tires with these types of motors.

biggusditchus
06-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Not quite true, I use a 19 turn motor and PVC tyres as I find i can balance the car better with power. Ability and practice stops the car spinning all way round, how much power you transfer is controlled by your thumbs/fingers have seen people drifting on brushless.

The drift tyres with rubber is so you can change camber so that differing amount of rubber touches tarmac to balance the grip of car, this you cannot do with pvc type tyres.

vlozity
06-29-2006, 03:42 AM
we forgot to mention the type of tracks we ran our cars. in the type of concrete and aspalt areas me and my son practice on ... 19t will just make our pvc tires spin wildly, so using 27t motors give us more control.

Slyp Dawg
06-29-2006, 10:09 AM
I tried electrical tape on some mini-t foams I had for my RC18T and I was able to get it into some crazy cyclones. I'll try to get some video once I get new shocks for it (rear shock shaft bent and lower cap chipped and was sitting ontop of the spring retainer instead of the bottom of the shock body, so thus I'm getting HR shocks)

Bugged
06-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I now know what im doing tomorrow afternoon....Just found 2 metres of black pvc tubing in the shed....Which i bought for some reason ( Cant remember why )

So its off to the mitre block, Cut some rings, Charge some cells, Slap the rings on the rims....And et voila....Im off drifting ! ! ! !

BrockGrimes
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I run a TC4 with a 8 turn double flat wire motor.
With HPI Stage D 26 mm tires.
Although with an 8 turn you can drift with stock tires.
HPI makes 3 drift tires the Stage D in 26 and 30mm which are slicks, and a drift tire with tread, all 3 are made with hard compound rubber.
I'm doing a build http://www.beatyourtruck.com (http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25563) in the forum under general on-road if your interested.

peeprox
12-10-2006, 03:23 PM
im running my tl01 in the tyres it came with from ebay which are very hard. with my 19t round brush motor, on a slightly damp road (rather common in sunny old england :banana: ) i can drift perfectly, well its more like a powerslide, but its much more controllable than it was on PVC, it will accerate to top speed (fast) with next to no wheelspin, but i can hang the back end out around corners. oh, and the front diff is locked as well to stop it spinning out. when i was racing it, i cud pull ahead of the other cars on the track (non drifters) and powerslide around the end of straight corner :rofl: .

Biscuit
03-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Why is this here in the bike forum?

03-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Why is this here in the bike forum?

Fixed it :nice:

gearhead
03-29-2008, 03:01 AM
:nice::nice: