Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Agricultural and Industrial Equipment (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Lil' Giants Constr. Co. (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25724)

Tamiya Cowboy 02-19-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrker (Post 413871)
Overall, the 966 has worked reasonably well, I knew about the hinge point problem prior to building the model, so I corrected that before it ruined many other parts of the model, like steering cyls and driveshafts that other pre #500 owners had to repair after little use. It was not until after 500 loader kits sold before Wedico corrected that major oversight! And now pre #500 owners have to "pay" for this upgrade... that's pretty poor business ethics...

...and the same short sighted planning spills over into this 740 model. Weak drivetrain, not enough gearing or power for this brute of a model, this ADT is really heavy with no load on it. I'm just really disappointed, I can't keep this junk 740 running for more than a few hrs at a time, and if I can't fix the problem myself, I'm waiting months for replacement parts.

Within the first twenty loads I snapped the eye off of one of the lift cylinders. I explained the reason why it happened thoroughly (and politely) on a german forum, that the angle on the rod eye changes from down on the chassis to fully extended and a possible solution to correct it and Wedico (Rainer) makes a reply through a third party that I didn't read the instructions correctly & installed it wrong... what would some dumb hick from Canada know about model engineering... no, they didn't say that, but I'm sure they were thinking it.

...well I just aint gonna spend big bucks to buy their junk anymore and correct their problems out of my pocket to boot. ;)

Joe

I watched Greg talk to Mr. wedico at Indy last year and when Gregs back was turned the same things seamed to have been said about him..Running it to hard did not put it together right BLAH BLAH BLAH case and point there stuff is junk! and they do not take care of there coustomers..Look at the greaman boards i see more other brands of loaders and haulers then I do Wedico..Watch the vids on You Tube of the shows in German and you see more other brands then Wedico??? Why is That??? Hmmmmm :sht: Dont tell no one.....

Lil Giants 02-19-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipeliner_970 (Post 412639)
...but I thought Gregs axles he built for his ADT looked pretty good and it seems to me that they'll function quite well. They may not be "perfect" in terms of scale appearance, but the axles aren't a focal point of the machine anyway
Marty

When I say "butcher", I mean I don't want to alter any of the WDC parts to fit axle tubes with gear motors. If you notice in the above picture with the front axle removed, a 1.8 inch (approx) tube is not likely to fit in that small area without some serious modification so the wheel/tire is properly centered within the wheel well/fender... not to mention getting the model to sit level with tandem tubes in the rear and still have some axle articulation. I don't want to do any drilling on this model.

It won't be a simple "add-on" modification, I am certain of that. ;) I'll do some figuring next winter.

Lil Giants 02-19-2009 11:26 PM

10-4 Paul :nice:

I've heard alot of 2nd hand information from others that wdc Germany thinks us north american owners of their models are substandard builders who are the sole cause of the problems we're having. Supposibly, when the 345 comes to market in a yr or so, it will be shipped to the USA as a pre-built model only... for an added cost no doubt. If that is indeed true, then 100% positively I'll never buy one!

Yeah, I've noticed that too! It's rare that you'll ever see any wdc construction models of owners "from" Germany. But you'll always see some Stahl excavs or dozers or loaders though, and I doubt that it's for the sole reason that Stahl has been around longer. ;)

Tamiya Cowboy 02-20-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrker (Post 413947)
10-4 Paul :nice:

I've heard a lot of 2nd hand information from others that wdc Germany thinks us north American owners of their models are substandard builders who are the sole cause of the problems we're having. Supposedly, when the 345 comes to market in a yr or so, it will be shipped to the USA as a pre-built model only... for an added cost no doubt. If that is indeed true, then 100% positively I'll never buy one!

Yeah, I've noticed that too! It's rare that you'll ever see any wdc construction models of owners "from" Germany. But you'll always see some Stahl excavs or dozers or loaders though, and I doubt that it's for the sole reason that Stahl has been around longer. ;)

Yeah there stuff looks good but that is really where it ends. I ran both of Ric loaders at Indy and they were nice the Hydros were to slow for me but I ran Lee's converted Hanomag and that thing would run circles around them wedico and at near half the price..

ddc333 02-21-2009 10:47 PM

Hi Joe

Did you sort out your radio glitches that you were having ????? it was the 740 wasn't it was it the polka radio or something else ??

Daniel

Lil Giants 02-22-2009 10:10 AM

Hello Daniel

No, never had enough time to sort it out before the 740 quit again. Both Polk radios continue to work fine with the other trks that are programmed into them. Even the radio that I thought glitched when the KH dump trk was climbing the wall.

I live in an eighty yr old house, the wiring was done in the mid sixties, who knows what effect that may have on radio interenece at times? :thinking:

Lil Giants 03-01-2009 12:02 PM

Something new...

My good friend Joe Ayrs from NY, USA built this scraper for me. Thanx buddy! :nice:

The 1st one he built for himself to pull with his 1/16th 4wd tractors didn't look that big in tow, his tractors must be huge!

I need to remove the ripper from the lead dozer & build a hitch; add another valve and then it will be good to go! :excited:

Look for a video sometime this summer of this trio tearing up the garden! :lolbeat:

Tamiya Cowboy 03-01-2009 12:10 PM

Joe

That scraper is a MONSTER really great looking...Now time for some weathering the fun way working it hard!! :chug:

joeayars 03-01-2009 07:09 PM

Hey Joe the scraper looks good behind the dozer! I was starting to get worried when it wasn't showing up as fast as I thought it would have, I hope it works out for ya......

Lil Giants 03-01-2009 07:29 PM

Yes indeed Paul! :whip:

No worries Joe, Customs (union workers) is always the holdup! I'm looking forward to the torture test this summer, we'll see if these two dozers are stout enough to crumple up this implement. :lolbeat:

Pipeliner_970 03-02-2009 12:14 AM

The scraper looks sweet Joe, many cudos to your buddy on the build. Is the JD dozer a new addition to the collection, or did I just miss it in the pics and videos somewhere? Anyway thats a great looking dozer, looks to have quite a bit of work done to give it the authentic JD look...

Also, how do you plan to run both the dozers at the same time?

Lil Giants 03-03-2009 06:28 AM

I got that JD dozer from Mitch last April, it's shown in the GT thread. It's a work of ART!

The rear dozer has the "ratchet" on the radio stick to set the throttle.

I have a servo splitter electronic device which I'll install into the JD dozer to keep all the hyd controls working on the right stick. One side of the splitter operates the blade up/down & tilt - flip a switch on the radio to go to the other side of splitter to operate the scraper with the right stick again.

It's a nifty device I picked up from Leimbach yrs ago to operate the tracks with the sticks on my excav with a regular 6ch radio. Then I discovered the Robbe F14 radios with the proportional sliders and now I can walk up a hill using all 6chs at once... though it's a little difficult to perform (wish I had foot pedals to plug into the radio). :lol:

Pipeliner_970 03-03-2009 03:16 PM

That is avery nice dozer, I'll have to go find it on GT and take a look.:drool:

Thats quite a handy device to run the scraper, and should work quite well considering you shouldn't need to run the blade and the scraper at the same time. :banghead: hopefully anyway...

I bet that is a trick to run the sliders and the boom and crowd all at the same time. Could you do a little plastic surgery and put the sliders on the bottom or front of your tx so you could run them with free fingers?

mog 03-05-2009 11:21 AM

i see that you got a scrapper now joe i gess i will have to come and drive the poush dozer for you cus well i don't think you can drive both at once. looks grate behind the jd.

Lil Giants 03-07-2009 08:02 PM

Yes you can Martin, I'll lyk when it's ready to roll. :cool:

I have the darnedest luck when it comes to electronics, especially these sensitive Leimbach speed controls... I blew the dirt off the dozer with pressurized air before bringing it upstairs for pictures with the scraper, even gave it a bit of blast under the cab and hood... all clean.

A few days later I take it back to the basement and the model won't work properly. Push the stick forward and one track goes forward & the other goes backwards, I can't get it to work right. I take the cab floor off so I can get to the 3 adjusting pots, I can't correct the problem. :thinking: I changed it out today with a spare one I had on hand.

There's no other reason I can think of for it going haywire... if there was any moisture in the pressurized air, it was days before turning it on again, so it shouldn't have short circuited. This esc was the original that came with the model in 02, so I guess I got my money's worth out of it anyway... but still. :'(