Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter > Scale 4x4 Build Offs and Contests
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

View Poll Results: Would you commit to a Comp like this?
Yes 1 10.00%
No 3 30.00%
Perhaps but it depends on the location of the Comp 7 70.00%
Perhaps but it depends on the Rules in the Build-Off 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Bucket List 1) Get a Truck on American TV. Completed

Member Number: 2380
B/S/T Feedback: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron View Post
Agreed, this is a "Think Tank" but all I get from you is how you feel things will NOT work. How about giving me some input about things that you feel WILL work.

1) Whats Acceleration got to do with Building a Scale Truck? People try to race just about anything, so the truck with the lowest time would win this portion. Do you have a better idea, I would like to read about it if you do.

2) Steering Radius?? Again Not worth measuring. Why not?

3) RTI If its a Street Legal Truck its not going to have Massive Articulation. I guess that would depend on your deffiniton of massive.

1) Acceleration, Those with the Biggest Pockets By the Quickest Brushless Motor Job Done

2) Steering, Those with the Biggest Pockets by Axial Axles, Super 300's and get Massive Steering Throw.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Shoulda took that right in Albuquerque....

Member Number: 6992
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
Your going to need Video Evidence for this Build Off to work.

I reckon a Steep Hill Section Travelling Uphill and Down Hill.

Also a Sidehill Section. So we can see how the Truck Performs Stability Wise.

As well as Some Uneven Terrain whether it be Mud/Rocks Etc to get a look at how the Suspension Articulates.

Doing this will be far more beneficial rather than Measuring RTI/ Acceleration and Turning.

Also the Truck Should be as realistic as possible So the video Section should only carry a certain amounts of overall points.
Thank You, This is the kind of input I was looking for! This is very helpful. AWSOME!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Bucket List 1) Get a Truck on American TV. Completed

Member Number: 2380
B/S/T Feedback: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron View Post
Thank You, This is the kind of input I was looking for! This is very helpful. AWSOME!
I knew we'd get there eventually
Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I knew we'd get there eventually
HaHaHa Okay, lets get back to the rules....
Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Member Number: 7431
B/S/T Feedback: (92)

I've been talking to Faron via PM about this...quite a bit...actually.

I still think it would be cool to just do a scale build off...with a set of rules.

Then...if anyone in the buildoff...can get say...5 or 10 or more people that are fairly close to them to all agree on a LOCAL LOCATION.....

and...as long as they are ALL ALSO in the build off...then that group of guys can each do their own BUILD-OFF -SANCTIONED COMP.

Set the comps up......in a G6 FORMAT.

That way....each comp (no matter where you're at)....is going to have 6 similar type situations for you to go thru.

Then...limit it to 10 or so comps....

Then those 10 Trucks and drivers will be voted on by the remaining Build off Contestants.....accorcding to their trucks and their video and their TIMES or whatever other things that you want to put in for them to consider..etc...etc...etc.

To me...that's the only way to make it as fair and as close as possible.

I gave this idea to Faron...but I'm not sure he's behind the "G6" part since I haven't heard anything back and I came here and read all of these other things ??

That's just my thoughts on it.

AroN
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (30)

To clarify, my ideas are not for a street legal truck per-se, just kicking around some ideas for some sort of performance standards. Aka something that can be replicated anywhere and compared. I love BigDawgz' idea, but if you are looking to get apples to apples, you'll need some sort of metrics. I think of it this way: Car and Driver magazine road tests both a Mustang and an F150 using the same sets of benchmarks - 0-60, braking, roadholding, etc...so that even though they are very different vehicles for different purposes, the benchmarks are the same and thus they can be easily compared.

Of course, in a buildoff situation, benchmarks are nothing without some sort of constraint. A "street legal" truck would be too wide open, and Dready's points are very valid. There needs to be some means of making the performance part viable....and here's where the build off rules and restrictions comes in. So let's narrow it down....

Example: maybe a box stock SCX10 is run though the paces and those then become the standard. Then, the build off is build a truck to compete using those benchmarks, but must :

Look scale/street
Use a 380 brushed/7.4v max
1.5's only

Or something like that.

So while straight line testing may not be important in the scale building world, using a 380 makes it a bit trickier. Maybe you gear up to get a better time and extra points, but you lose a little torque and fail a bit on the angle board. It would be about balance in that case. ....

So you judge on the usual stuff: scale looks, originality, paint, etc and then you get scoring for how close you can get to the benchmarks too.

Last edited by OldSchoolRC1 : 10-20-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (30)

Quote:
Your going to need Video Evidence for this Build Off to work.

I reckon a Steep Hill Section Travelling Uphill and Down Hill.

Also a Sidehill Section. So we can see how the Truck Performs Stability Wise.

As well as Some Uneven Terrain whether it be Mud/Rocks Etc to get a look at how the Suspension Articulates.

Doing this will be far more beneficial rather than Measuring RTI/ Acceleration and Turning.

Also the Truck Should be as realistic as possible So the video Section should only carry a certain amounts of overall points.
While this is good, it's not exactly quantifiable. What's a "steep" hill? How do you score a 5 for articulation? Just playing devils advocate here...a video montage of the finished rigs driving could work, but would be very subjective.

Nothing wrong with that if that's what works - Faron, it's your baby - we're just tossing ideas at you.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

I say to make it fair....just simply restrict guys to using their choice of stock items like they can run:

Stock Type ESC (axial/losi..etc)...no aftermarket stuff...and no bec's...this should help...but also just limit battery choices to 2s (lipo) or 8.4v nimh

Make it a "brushed motor only" rule...

Put a "Turn Limit" on the motors (like only allow 27t-55t)

That would work perfect for the G6 idea I had...because each motor would have it's pro's and con's.

This way....a guy with a limited budget could still participate....by picking up his electronics for cheap.

ArOn
Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM

I have been talking to BiGDaWgZ via PM aboiut this idea alot.

I just went to lunch with my wife and while driving around I had a few thoughts about this. We could do this a three part comp.

A. Wordwide Build-Off (Set of rules is posted, if you have a question please post it up.)

B. On-Line Comp. (I am still working on the set of rules but Deardy and I are close.)

C. Local G-6 Comps set up by local people. (Video and the such posted here, more or less a fun run where people that were in the first two portions of the Comp can see each other face to face. This would have to be worke out on a local level.)
Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 PM

GREAT! Now there we are talking...THANK YOU. Seeing as this is "my baby" I am going to say it will be a 3 part competition. But only the first two have to be completed in order to win.

Build-Off
On-Line Comp
Scale Get together

With all that being said, I think that we need to get the Rules down. First thing we need to do is settle on the Build-Off Rules. Bellow is what I have so far. Lets keep to just the Build off rules at this point and then we will work on the On-Line Comp Portion next. As Dready said earlier the rules need to be "Short and to the point.

1. Start Date is to be discussed (But the sooner the better) With that said you are welcome to join late if you like,it just means that you will have less time then those that started from the beginning. The end date will be I was thinking about making this a short Build-Off so that the rigs that we build are used for the 2012 season. But this is something that we need to discuss.
2. You must use 1.9 or smaller wheels and tires as they look like the real deal when it comes to scale.
3. You are welcome to use any body you want as long as at the end it looks like something that you could find driving legally on any city street where you live.
4. You are more then welcome to use any chassis or running gear you like but remember we are going for a scale look.
5. You will be asked to start a thread for yourself and keep it up to date as to the progress of your build. In the Subject line please add ACBBO. We have all seen the build threads where a person shows the progress of their build along the way. With photos and a brief description of your progress. A link will added to direct people to your tread so anyone can see what is going on. All you will have to do is give us the link and then we will post it here as people join the build off.
6. The date of completion will be discussed.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

I think it would be fair to have tire size limits...and widths....

A guy can stick a 1.9" Pittbull Rock Beast tire...on a set of Wheely king axles....with wideners....and his truck will perform insanely well...versus guys who are trying to keep theirs looking more "street" style.

I'd say...the Class 1 Rules....for Stock comps...would be pretty fair here...

4.19" tire size limit

Can't have anymore than 1/2 of your tires tread...protruding out from under your rigs body....

no tuber or truggy rigs (those can have pretty much zero departure angles...and perform alot differently than "Street rigs".

Although...myself...and a few of my buddies have had street legal...."Truggy Type" Toyotas....over the years....and drove them on the street....but it still shouldn't be legal for this type of comp/build.

There's alot more....but it's an established set of rules that would make it easy to use....and best of all..VERY FAMILIAR to most any guys who've ever comp'd at all.

ArOn
Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 AM

I changed up the Build-Off Portion of the event, I will ask that we move forward to the next set of rules if a couple of you can agree as to the fairness of the rules bellow.

1. Start Date is to be discussed With that said you are welcome to join late if you like, it just means that you will have less time then those that started from the beginning. The end date will be I was thinking about making this a short Build-Off so that the rigs we build are used for the 2012 season. But this is something that we need to discuss.

2. You must use 1.9 or smaller wheels and tires as they look like the real deal when it comes to scale. 4.19" tire size limit no more then 1/2 of your tires tread can be protruding out from under your rigs body.

3. You are welcome to use any body you want. But remember we are looking for scale realism, so do all you can to make it look like something that you might find on the street of your home town. Be sure to install some functional as well as non functional items. ie. Fuel Cell, Jerry Cans, Mirrors, Trail Tools, etc...etc... If the interior of your vehicle is visible make sure you detail that as well and perhaps ad a driver that looks like you

4. You are asked to run a Rail Chassis and no Twin Vertical Plate Chassis. This is so that we can keep everything on the same playing field.

5. You will be asked to start a thread for yourself and keep it up to date as to the progress of your build. In the Subject line please add Three Stage Comp. We have all seen the build threads where a person shows the progress of their build along the way. With photos and a brief description of your progress. A link will added to direct people to your tread so anyone can see what is going on. All you will have to do is give us the link and then we will post it here as people join the build off.
6. The date off completion will be discussed.

Three days after the Date of Completion You will be asked to PM me your photos so that I can build a Poll that can be built to determine the winner of this portion.