Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Rock Crawlers
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Rock Crawlers For those Rock crawling, stone sliding, body scratching, articulation crackheads; this place is for you!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM

Member Number: 15168
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Losi MRC 3-link rebuild

Been bored at work the last week so I decided to redo the 3 link on my Rc crawler. I built new front and rear link crossmembers, also made some new aluminum lower links. I'm about half way done but here are some pics of progress so far. Plan was to extend the wheel base 1" and move the steering servo up an 1/8" so I can run a longer pitman arm.

This is with the old steel lower links. The new ones I made stretched the rear out 1/2"

Rear end almost complete, still waiting on my new aluminum upper Y link. Also the shocks need to be relocated because I have no down travel due to the wb stretch.

Flex pic with the new lower links and shocks unhooked.

Front was a little more tricky due to having to mount the steering servo. I also make the crossmember 1/8" taller than stock so I could use a longer steering arm to get a steeper turning radius.

That's all i got for now. Still need to finish front lower links mount the steering servo and remount the shocks.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM

On the upper link I liked the oroginal design but the flaw was in the axle end joint so I eliminated it by tapping the bolt hole with a 6/32 tap using a 3mm rod end and about 1" of all thread I reassembled the upper link. This gave me about the 1/2" I was looking for in length but also gave me the adjustability to get the pinion angle perfect. I used the original 1.5mm rod ends for the lower links. Just got some 1/4" od 5/32 id aluminum tube and tapped it again with a 6/32 tap and used all thread to connect the rod ends.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM

Been working on this the last week. After finishing the 3 link in the front I decided I didn't like how it performed so instead I went to a 4 link. Built the uppers the same as the lower links. Rebuilt the link tower. Then I started on shock placement didn't take very long to realize the chassis I had wasn't going to work so out came the welder and some 3/16 rod. Here's what I came up with.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 15893

Cool cool, any plans to go 4 link in the rear?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM

Not with this chassis. With my scaler I will. The rear 3 link works very well so I'll keep it.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Got to test out my new crawler today until it took a 6 foot nose dive off a ledge then rolled about twenty feet down the hill. Ended up breaking a servo arm and a lower link rod end. Here's the one picture I got before the crash.