Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > 1:1 Rides > Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, & Planes!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, & Planes! Post anything you want on your personal vehicles!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 PM
a Dezert Speciez

Member Number: 3809
B/S/T Feedback: (6)
Default Mojave's Chopper Rebuild

Putting RCs on hold for a bit and getting it to an even more expensive projects. Chopper Rebuild.

I bought this bike a few years ago but haven't ridden it too much as it has some issues. I'm like the 3rd owner since it was built. It took awhile to piece the story together but this is what I gather-

The bike started life as a 1996 Softail Custom Harley. It was in a collision and the frame and just about everything else was replaced. VINs fallow the frame so it was then considered a special construction "Illusion", the maker of the frame, as per the vehicle title. Everything on it is aftermarket and the only Harley parts now are the tires, and maybe the engine cone and primary case.

Problems with it were the starting system which I replaced, oil leaks, oil leaks, and the bike is unbalanced...real heavy on the left side. Rear brake issues, dirty tanks/ clogged fuel filter issues, lack of speedo , and maybe some other things. I did get a good deal on it so I'm not upset with all that I'm finding.

So I started out I was going to center the rear wheel with new axle spacers and maybe a belt to chain conversion because the whole thing is off 1/8". But once I got it tore down to do that I got a hard on to run through the engine and fix up them leaks. Then I'm looking at it thinking I might as well change the tanks and paint the frame. So what started as a wheel alignment is turning into a complete CHOPPER REBUILD!

Last edited by MojaveMonster : 03-17-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:24 PM
a Dezert Speciez

Here's a before...
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
a Dezert Speciez

Step one
Make an engine stand.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:41 PM
a Dezert Speciez

Step one
Make an engine stand. And paint new bike color.

....Then put the engine in there just to find out the dimensions I searched for all night were off. Yeah, it was the webs, not me ; )

And as it sits now. I wasn't sure on the engine size until I was able to measure it out....104 cubic inch.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM
a Dezert Speciez

Plans

New complete engine gasket set.

New stretched tanks, same as original

21" front wheel

New +2" forward controls, black

something like those swapped out with Battistines pegs

And more....
Attached Images

Last edited by MojaveMonster : 03-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 PM
a Dezert Speciez

Holy Crap I can't believe this dates all the way back to March. Well here come the updates. August I was finally able to send in the frame for paint after clearing it with the Highway Patrol VIN Officer.

I did get those Forward Controls and Pegs I was talking about above with Grips that match the pegs.

The engine was sent in to have the cylinders hoaned, new valves and springs and the heads machined for the newer style top breathing system. The old bottom breather use to puke oil all the time. Also put some black heat paint on the heads and polished out the aluminum. All new gaskets throughout.

The transmission was completely torn down, cleaned, polished, and new bearings, seals, and gaskets. Will be converting the rear drive from belt to chain. I already have a white chain in that looks pretty sweet.

I'm currently working on the tanks. Stripped the paint and bondo and realized how sorry the stretch job was on these tanks. If I had the funds I'd probably just order new tanks but I'm on tight budget now and need to make due. Yesterday I torched out the fill bungs for some bolt in Aero style gas caps. Also hacked out the sides so I could get in there and sand out all the rust because these tanks kept clogging my fuel filters and carb.

The wheels and tires are all new. Went from 16" rims, front and back, to a 21"x3.5" front with 80 spoke and a wider 16"x5.5" rear fat spoke with a 180 tire. And Man, tires are not cheap. Over $200 each.

Next I'll be ordering the rear fender and be doing a custom job by mounting the rear strut bars inside the fender instead of outside for a smooth sleek look.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 PM
a Dezert Speciez

And this is about where I am now with new handle bars and I do have the engine in. I'll be sure to update more regularly.

BTW, that's powdercoating on the frame and blcked out front end.