Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Other R/C and Misc > Static Models
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Static Models This for you static display modelers. 1/24, 1/25, 1/18, 1/43, etc static display models, kits, pre-builts, whatever. If you got it, here's your forum.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Lost in the Woods

Member Number: 10133
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Little Cabin for the rock garden

I recently built a little cabin for my rock garden.
It was a fun build and I can see this possibly becoming as addictive as making the scale trucks.

What got me going was coming across a busted old half rotted wooden crate laying in the scrappy part of the yard. Its been outdoors for years and the wood is really old and grey. The two box sides were still in good shape, and i salvaged as much of the thinner side pieces as i could. I'm not going to build it like you would a real cabin (framing and such), but it'll look good from the outside.

I used the box sides for the sides of the cabin and held them together with four thin "beams" on the corners to attach front and back walls. Got the front wall on with door and window openings by the end of the first day.

I'm tryna just use this old weathered wood for everything, it looks good but is quite delicate in spots. I dug out an old rotten piece 1/2 inch plywood from down by the shed to use for the triangle roof supports, and a piece of 1/4 inch for the roof and back wall. All pretty wet and mouldy. I dig it.

Also made a little trim around the door with some thin bits i cut off an old board. I had to drill small holes before nailing most of this together cause the thin bits are cracky prone.

I thinned down some dark grey acrylic paint really watery and washed it over the roof and door to give them a different tone from the rest. Also put some anywhere there was fresh cut edges on the boards to keep it all even.

The cat was diggin' it too.
I tried to talk her into getting in the window and looking out for a pic, but she wouldn't do it until after i put the camera away. Ha.

Yesterday I made a stove chimney pipe modeled after the one on my real house. I made the pipe out of a piece of a thickish cardboard tube, painted it black inside to waterproof it, stuck four sticks of styrene around the inside of the end and added a bit of screen. Then made a cone cap with styrene and covered both the cap and pipe with aluminum tape.

Cut a wedge of wood to go onto the roof with a rounded piece screwed into the top for the pipe to go onto.
Stuck the cap and pipe all together with shoegoo, then weathered it abit with some black and screwed it to the roof from underneath.

As you can see in the last pic, I made the roof look more roofy by cuting V groove lines into the old plywood with a boxcutter. They go in about one ply deep and i painted them in with a dark grey after.

I did the same V cut lines to all the sides of the cabin as well to make it look like more scale appropriate sized boards. Theyre also painted with dark grey after. I made the outer window frame pieces and nailed them into the walls, then cut a piece of plexiglass to fit and glued it in from behind with shoegoo. Then i goo-ed the crosspieces of the frame onto the glass and sides. Made some quick little hinges and a handle for the door, glued and painted as well.

I think its pretty much done. Now to find a good place in the rock garden for it to go. Once i set it up, im gonna cut a little stack of wood to pile up next to it. I'll get more pics of that soon.

I wanna build a few more of these now.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM

Member Number: 12183

That's pretty cool. Looks like Rancid Crabtree's cabin! The first scale model I ever built was a barn for my big Ertl tractors when I was about 10 years old.

Jamie
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Everybody Needs Rock N Roll

Member Number: 4514
B/S/T Feedback: (45)

Awesome rustic cabin! Love the stove pipe details!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Member Number: 1633

model train smoker device for the chimney!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for checking it out guys.

Well, i got the cabin set up in the garden today and fiddled with it for a few hours. It was tricky finding a good spot to sit it. Its a hill where i put it and just inches below the dirt is alot of criss-crossing tree roots. I couldnt really dig out a spot for the rear of the house to sit to keep it level. I ended up getting the back end in a few inches, and moved the dirt to the front to build it up some. Then used some flat stones to make up a little area in the fnont to help support it and create a little walkway look.

Cleared out an area next to the cabin for the trucks to park. I like the small bush/tree thats growing next to the cabin. More scale as opposed to the gigantic tree nearby. Ha.

Brought out a couple trucks to take some pics of it. I still wanna make some more little pieces, like a logpile and maybe some fence, but i'm liking it so far.

Check it out. The cats up on the "lookout" tower in the first pic.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Spam slayer- 100 kills and counting

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Without the trucks, it's just a weird little gnome-home.

With trucks, it's awesome
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM

Member Number: 7246

The cabin looks great! Maybee some animal skulls on the outside to make it look like a hunting cabin?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Everybody Needs Rock N Roll

Member Number: 4514
B/S/T Feedback: (45)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
Without the trucks, it's just a weird little gnome-home.

With trucks, it's awesome
When he's not out playing, the gnomes now have a place to hide from the guard cat!

Cabin looks great sitting out in its settings! Get a smoker for the stove pipe and a pile of fire wood next to her, It is awesome, as Stu said!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
kame hame haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Member Number: 863
B/S/T Feedback: (18)

Looks like the unibomber cabin

http://nostr.net/forums/
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Spam slayer- 100 kills and counting

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos View Post
The cabin looks great! Maybee some animal skulls on the outside to make it look like a hunting cabin?
Get the guard cat on it. Mouse or rat skulls would work.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Lost in the Woods

Haha. Thanks guys.

A little skull would be cool. I find headless chipmunks and squirrels around the yard thanks to the cat, but i'm still not sure what she does with the heads. I hope i don't come across a freaky little cat alter made of them one day.

Got some nice pics of the little cabin today. Wanted to capture my newest little scale add-ons.

I made a couple woodpiles. The bigger stack on the side is sitting on a little deck as its pretty hilly. The front little pile is the wood "buddys" using for the stove. He just chops them as he needs them. Theres a few split ones laying on top. Also made a chopping stump with a little axe in it, and an old bucket.

I glued the piles of wood together as i stacked them. Theyre one big piece now so they won't fall over. The buckets just the bottom half of a paint bottle with a wire handle and painted silver.

I couldn't bring myself to digging out the giant tulip growing in front of the house. They only last about a month anyhow. I'll move it once its done doing its thing. There are a bunch more behind the cabin as well so its gonna look pretty psychedelic here soon.
Have to make a trippy video.

Imthatguy came over for a visit in the old A100. Here we are parked out front just sitting in our trucks. Ha.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Mud slt!

Member Number: 1264
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

Haha thats cool,nice job too. Only thing missing is the still lol
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14737

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy View Post
Haha thats cool,nice job too. Only thing missing is the still lol
A still would be frickin awesome!! You should do it.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I think you’ve mistaken me for a guy without a shrink ray.

Member Number: 14611

WOW! Yea a still, but it needs to be hidden back in the woods. And I think the cabin needs an out house close by.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Styrene Dust

Member Number: 12146
B/S/T Feedback: (10)

I like it. When I rolled up this morning, Rick didn't answer the door, so I parked in his spot and snapped a pic.