Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Help wanted!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Help wanted! New to the forum? Start here.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 15647
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Motors

Okay so i believe my mfu is rated "down to 22T"

so if i were to change the motor would a higher number of turns give higher torque? what does the number of turns mean and how would it damge the mfu if i went below 22?

thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Waiting for my free magic pen!!

Member Number: 2692
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

I don't know what it would do to your MFU since i've never owned or read about them. But motors, 22T will have less torque than say a 65T. The higher the number the more torque but also the slower they are. The lower the number the less torque but are faster.

I stick with 55-65T motors, simply because i like it slower. Most people on the forum use 35T motors for there crawlers/scalers.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Breaking up a boat to make a raft.

Member Number: 13620

I have a conflicting opinion on this I might be wrong but i think higher turn motors make less torque given the same motor type , the more turns you have the more resistance each winding has and the less power is allowed through the winding, resulting in a weaker magnetic flux less rpm and less torque. But less consumed power and longer run times.
To go slower and make more torque you would have to increase the number of poles the motor has, double the poles with the same windings you get twice the torque at half the rpm and trade off some rpm for some torque .
But as I said I might be wrong there does seem to be a strong myth surrounding this but I think higher turn motors have more accessable power so perhaps seem to provide more torque ?
Please correct me if I'm wrong

As for the mfu are you trying to go faster or pull harder ?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 15647

Hi Thanks for the answers
I am trying to gain more torque.
I currently use a type 540 motor in a 1/14 tractor truck
Cheers
Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

The 22t limit refers to faster motors mainly - i.e. those brushed motors that are 22 turns or less are too much for the MFU, however ones over 22t will be ok, so a good quality high turn motor such as a 55t or something like that will be just fine.

Going below the 22t limit will* draw so much current through the circuit that certain of its components will overheat and burn out leading to a smoking and later non functional MFU speed control.

*ok actually it may draw too much current, it may not but they give no guarantees below 22t.

As for Toms theory: yes actually you are correct up to a point - taken as absolute values a higher turn motor makes less torque than a lower turn one, however the main reason for using high turn motors is to reduce the wheel speed and when you look at it like that the way to think of a high turn motor is that it makes more torque for a given RPM, i.e. an LRP truck puller makes more torque at 6500rpm(max rpm for that motor) than most motors do, because some motors will hit triple that rpm flat out(and race brushed motors can hit 50k+ rpm).

In short you can use a high turn motor(i.e. 35t-95t) to reduce the speed and should notice an apparent gain in torque(compared to the silver can at that same rpm), alongside longer runtimes and less heat to disspate in the motor and MFU.