Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Tips, Tricks, FAQs
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tips, Tricks, FAQs Painting tips, building tips, How To's, ETC

Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (29)
Default Shocking advice\tech needed

I have 4 sets of RC4WD shocks I've accumulated over the years - 2 sets while scaler shocks, 1 set dual spring and 1 set piggyback - and every single set sticks. I use 30 wt Axial oil in shocks where required, and I've taken the bottom seals apart - greased up the o-rings, and greased the shock shafts before reassembling and so far no luck.

The white scaler shocks stick so bad, they are all but useless. I've tried coating the shafts and seals in green slime, moly grease, and even something light like 3n1(massive fail but worth a shot) etc. and no luck. I can push my truck down and it stays there - the internal springs cannot overcome the sticking to rebound. Green slime seeed to work the best but were still not driveable. I got these all used, so I cannot say what abuse they've seen though all are in great shape from what I can tell.

The dual rates (bought new) are better, but still a bit sticky. If the truck sits for more then a few minutes, they "lock up" and need a good push on the truck to free them up again. They do stick on occaision once freed when wheeling though - enough to 3-wheel for a second and then they pop loose. It's annoying as all heck.

2 of my piggybacks (bought new) work perfectly fine, the other 2 stick noticeably. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, they get stuck same as the others.

I don't have these issues with any other shocks. My wraith shocks stuck a bit, but some green slime smoothed it right out and they haven't stuck since. I'm thinking it is the compound of the o-rings RC4WD uses that causes it as they seem softer than most - almost like a silicone seal.

Anyhow, I don't know what the secret is to getting these to work. I see them used in builds all over the place, and looks like they are flexing fine, so there must be a way to free them up and I'm just missing it - totally at a loss. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears and much appreciated.

Piggybacks:

Scale shocks:
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Hiluxian of note

Member Number: 2184
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

I removed the o-rings in mine, but then again, I run on leafs.....
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 5038

the only time i have seen a shock stick is because of them being extremely dirty or the shafts are bent

from the pics their not dirty but you did say you got some of them used and are unsure of condition

have you ever completely tore them down and cleaned them inside and out?
it will give you a good idea of the condition
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 AM

Yup. Even the new ones. No torn o-rings that I can see, shafts are straight. Used ones look great, not a scratch on them and the insides look mint, so doubt they've lead a hard life.

May I'll try some new o-rings and see if that helps .. if I can find some that fit.

Last edited by OldSchoolRC1 : 04-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 5038

are they still sticking when all the fluid is removed?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Captain Scale

Member Number: 870
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

I have some of the white scale shocks and they don't stick when compressed, but do seem to be sticky at first once they have sat for a while. After the first compression they are free. I think that the shock shaft is binding on lower shock cylinder cap. Drill the holes slightly larger on the lower shock cap and make sure that the little spacer between the o-rings is not worn out. That spacer acts like a guide to ensure the shaft stays centered in the shock when it travels up and down.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 4236
B/S/T Feedback: (11)

I always remOve the outer o rings. It works great for me and dont even bother to lube it even for years. Used it under water and mud and still works great.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 5394

I used the white scale shocks on my 1/6th scale Jeep for about a year. The best thing I did to them was to remove 1 o-ring from each shock, they worked much better. I just recently switched to the dual spring coil over shocks, they were sticky as well. I switched o-rings, using some SAE ones instead of the metric sizes that the shocks come with, this seems to help out a lot.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 AM

X-cutioner, they white ones stick all the time. Full, empty, doesn't matter. Spring can't even push the shaft out sometimes.

Thanks for the tips guys...do believe it is the o-rings. will source around and see what I can find.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 AM

Member Number: 18385

You could try polishing the shafts if you have a dremel or drill.Put some metal polish or even toothpaste in a piece of cloth and run the shafts there for a few seconds.