Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.9's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.9's Scale trucks that use 1.9" tires. Discuss your XC and similar type trucks.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Sheetmetal Guy

Member Number: 14978
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Jeep Comanche with Skamper camper

Well today a bunch of stuff I ordered came in... Included in this pile was my CC01 kit, a couple bodies, some styrene, and some fender flares. I'm still waiting for my bearing set to start my CC01 with a FJ40 body, so in the mean time I decided to begin my Jeep Comanche.

I got the Pro-Line Jeep Comanche body and Axial fender flares which I believe are for the Dingo. I am still waiting on my Pro-Line interior tray. This won't have too much custom stuff except for the slide in camper I am planning to build.

I began trimming the body, and was glad I got the Axial flares. With the fenders on the body, it has to sit very high to clear the SCX10 tires when flexing. So I cut them off, and mounted the Axial flares. They are meant for a flat body, so once they were screwed on they fit horribly and distorted the body. To fix this I used my mini torch and heated the lexan around the flares to bend it slightly so the flares and body go nicely together, I was then able to lower the front body posts, and leave the rear ones in their lowest position. Now the tires tuck nicely and do not rub and it looks pretty darn cool. LOL. The flares are pretty much the same shape as original flares, but the Axials are wider, and have larger openings. The original ones did not cover the tires. With the battery the truck has a slight forward rake like it would stock, but this will allow me to add my slide in and have it sit level. I don't know how far I will get this before I deploy at the end of the month, But hopefully I can get a good start. So this is how it looks before paint. I'm hoping to do paint tomorrow or this weekend.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 PM
mid level fab man

Member Number: 9697
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

like the start i have those flares on my xj they look good
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Sheetmetal Guy

Default Paint

I got the body painted yesterday. I mixed pearl silver and black to get a nice dark silver color. I left the lights all clear so I can make some light buckets in the future when I have more time and remove the stickers.Then today my interior arrived. I painted that tan and slapped it in. Now I got a decent relatively stock looking Jeep Comanche body with a lift and some cut out fenders. Just need to start adding details now and start the camper at some point. Future plans include snorkel, sleeper, lights, and whatever I think up.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Building scale since 1985

Member Number: 7162

Nice looking Jeep. I'm curious about your camper idea.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart...It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23 & 24
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Sheetmetal Guy

I'm thinin' something like this... Like a poor man's earth roamer! LOL

I'll make it removable too.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Sheetmetal Guy

Default Snorkel

Haven't started the slide in yet. I've been working on my FJ40. Ok, so I just made a snorkel. It's actually quite easy.

First I found a suitable material. I used a nice heavy type foam that a small brushless motor came in from HobbyKing.

I then cut off one side with a razor blade.

Then I cut a square strip out of this. this shows how wide the strip was. I then held a lighter to it while carefully using my fingers to round the corners and bend the strip.

Then I cheated and made a mold from my Hilux for the intake part, and used Alumalite plastic resin to cast the part. But the same foam method above can be used and then use window screen mesh for the grate on it.

Last I glued the intake to the foam tube, and then used heat shrink for wires to cover the foam and provide the finish and some extra finishing to the tube. I also used a short piece of this to reinforce the glue joint on the top by intake. Glued the whole thing with Shoe goo onto the Comanche and BAM! Snorkel! Not wuite as pretty as the Hilux Safari snorkel, but driving around it looks the same, and besides that people make their own snorkels in real life too...

Here's some pictures next to my FJ40 that has the modified Hilux Safari Snorkel installed.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 AM
It might be slow , but a Toyota can go anywhere !

Member Number: 16604

Nice work on the snorkel
Any update on the camper
Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Sheetmetal Guy

Nothing yet. I got a CC01 kit, and built the FJ40 in the pictures above. All that's left on it is interior. I think I'm gonna take a break on it and start the jeeps camper now, and do the FJ's interior after that.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 AM
It might be slow , but a Toyota can go anywhere !

Member Number: 16604

Great work on the fj to
Looking forward to the camper
Old 05-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Up to no good

Member Number: 9106
B/S/T Feedback: (15)

Now this sounds interesting. I'll be watching this one. Do you have an idea what you will use for the side panels of the camper?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Sheetmetal Guy

Default Begging the camper!

Yes I do. I actually started this today. I had ordered some metal siding Styrene, but I had never used or even seen styrene before so I didn't really know what I ordered. I ordered .040" metal siding. I figured that was thickness, but as it turns out it's both thickness and spacing. I'm a little disappointed. I know there are newer campers though that don't use the corrugated stuff and just use smooth sides. I then decided that since the jeep is looking good without being weathered and old, that I would also make the camper look a little newer. I will be using the picture above for a basic guide, but not an exact replica. I will also use some other pictures I found of other similar slide ins and make my own, but still make it look realistic. After all my original idea for this was because I thought it'd be funny, and not because I really like Jeeps with campers! LOL. I'm going to keep it fun, learn how to work with styrene, and hope it doesn't turn out too bad! Really, who goes rock crawling with slide in campers? THIS GUY!

Now as I said this is my first time working with styrene. I love it and look forward to doing more advanced builds in the future, but for now I will keep this relatively simple as I learn my styrene skills. This stuff is awesome. Lightweight and easy to work with, and not too weak to just fall apart. It's very quick to build up do to the quick drying cement stuff. I got the basic shape built. Tomorrow I will work on attempting some slight curves on the front corners.

I used the original body mounts for the rear, and make the base to fit nicely to the bed of the Jeep. I will then make the roof a slide on top. It will not be extendable like the real one would be since I will be driving with it and not camping! LOL. The top will just slide on and off for me to access the body mounts. This will allow me to use it or not depending on if I feel like it. I have not yet added any type of reinforcement in the inside. I figure I will build the outside, and then detail it and then I probably will not have time to the interior right now either, so that will come later, and that's also when I will do reinforcing. As far as interior I plan to make it with clear windows and an interior that can be seen through the windows. No opening doors or anything. Just so when I'm driving around it looks good. Maybe tomorrow I will cut the window openings, and then figure what I'll do next as I go.

And let the fun begin!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Sheetmetal Guy

Default Hobby room

Well I didn't get any work done on the Jeep today. My wife got sick of my stuff downstairs and made me get some shelves to put my stuff upstairs. So I made one of our spare room into a nice little work area for all my hobby stuff. I got everything arranged and put together a bunch of shelves and got some of my stuff organized. I still have a bunch downstairs, but this will work for now and another day I'll move the rest. She said all my finished vehicles can stay on our shelves downstairs, because they look cool, but everything else has got to go up here! It'll be nice to work in here now!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Building scale since 1985

Member Number: 7162

Pretty nice start on that camper. Working with styrene is a joy. Hint: you might use some scrap strips to reenforce the joints. I buy some small square strips to do just that. Makes for a much more rigid assembly.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart...It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23 & 24
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Member Number: 15872

Nice Drawings on the wall!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Up to no good

Member Number: 9106
B/S/T Feedback: (15)

Great start on the camper. I think it looks so cool on that truck. It's too bad the Parma J10 is so small, it would be an awesome platform for something like this.

The new space looks good, wish my new studio was done.