Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM

Member Number: 17355
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Der Spiegel strikes again

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-1179689.html

Another very friendly report from Germany

Keep up the great work, Joe
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 AM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

Thank you again Dirk ...so soon we will be seeing your "basement renovation" begin?

And thank you Bettle for keeping me informed of warm greetings from Germany, much appreciated!

I've been burning up the charges the last 3 nights carving away at the wall.. by the time it's time to leave the wall to deal with the dirt below, I'll be driving off - down the pile, not far from the floor now!

Although, time for a little bit of service at end of shift tonite, this track got clogged up with packed clay inside the links causing some binding issues. A few times, the way the track was twisting over the idler & drive sprocket I thought it was on the brink of skipping off! The excessive tightness in the track doesn't fiz on the torque of the drive motors at all.. oodles of power with these new track drives!

Soak the track in the kitchen sink for ten minutes melts the clay away.

The other track still on the machine, I dripped a bit of blue lock-tite on each wrist pin when upgrading to the new track drives last November, they're all still in place. This side the pins are sliding out.. looks like experiment is a success.. although I haven't tried knocking any of them pins out that lock-tite'd , shouldn't be a problem with some force!

I had a few failed attempts trying to solder my leaky cylinder, I was using laquer thinner to wash the oil from the cylinder prior to solder.. that turned out to be the culprit for the solder to ball up & fall off. Once I washed the cylinder down with brake/electrical cleaner, then the solder flowed no problem.. several hrs later & it not leaking!

I got a few other pieces sitting on the bench waiting for me to tear down for repairs.. the dozer, right track frame popped off drive motor, probably in need of a new machined mount.

The GL dump trk, I think the middle axle might have a tooth missing in the crown gear, something is clicking causing a skip or maybe it's the rear axle.. 50/50/90 Rule - what's the wager I tear down the wrong axle 1st?!

Last edited by Lil Giants : 02-28-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM

Member Number: 17353

Hello Joe,
Just finished going through the thread from start to finish and have to compliment you on your work and your dedication to your hobby and the quality of the videos and work you are doing.
I am also a farmer, living in Quebec we grow organic crops, corn, soybeans, wheat, popcorn, and have a conventional broiler chicken operation about a 180,000 birds per year.
At present I am into rc planes, Radian glider and a speed boat that we take camping with us to entertain the kids at supper time.
I came across your work with all this new attention you are getting internationally and congratulations on that, you have certainly earned it.
I am curious as to what the kits are like for the excavators, do they need a lot of extra work or is it just a matter of putting them together? I have looked on the web sites but still not sure how much work is needed to complete a build, my skills with the German language are non existent so I am little lost on their sites as they are not 100% translated.
Once again thank you for sharing all your hard work with the rest of us it is really appreciated.
Steve.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Member Number: 16750

Hey Joe,
Sorry if I missed this somewhere earlier in the thread, but what is the dump body sitting on the box behind the dozer for? Do you have a new build going or is it off of something else. It looks brand new.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 PM
JOE

Hello Steve, welcome to the forum.

I pretty much slap my models together, build it kit stock and off to the basement. The only mods I attempt to make are mechanical changes to get it to work the way I want it to. They're not hard to build at all, just takes some time to study the photos in the manual (not much german script to be seen and I don't know the language either) and test fit parts together, see how they fit.

Kalle did a magnificent job of detailing his track hoe from start to finnish and is still continually updating/improving on it too. His hoe is the same as my JD850, it's just a cosmetic difference with a 1:12th scale body of a Hitachi 470, everything else is the same kit wise.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52416

And with the many internet forums of today, any newcomer can access info quickly to accomplish any build, nor matter what level of detail they wish to achieve.

Look around this Ag & Industrial forum, many skilled builders' projects to be seen and drooled over.

My current preferred buyer's choice is Vario Earthmovers & Fumotec and I can help you aquire whatever you'd like to get from them (I'm not a dealer). But there is also many other fine german, swiss, swede, italian, ect companies to pick kits from or if you're really ambitious, build from scratch like some cdn & american skilled hobbyists are currently doing.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread & for your kind comments, much appreciated!

FlyingBeagle, that's the box that came with the Stahl Volvo adt, it's quite a bit smaller in stature than the wdc junk 740, so I put that 740 box on the Stahl adt instead.
(disclaimer: not bashing Caterpillar, just wedico's garbage rc's)

The Volvo box is sitting there b/c I was thinking of making it a pup trl for the Volvo to pull.. it'd be simple enough to put in a 3valve block into the Volvo cab and I got quick disconnects to tie the trl into the trk's hyd system too.. but the risk of dirt contimination in hyd system is high! everytime hook/unhook from the trl. I need to get a mini pump to put right on the pup for a permanently closed loop system.. but however, I got a different rc project in mind that'll dwarf all my dirt haulers, goodies will be showing up here in a week or two.. likely won't have time for much building till next Fall, so I only dreamed a lil while on making the pup.

Thanx for your interest.

Here's a vid from last night of the 850 digging up a rock the size of a car!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default New Toy

Hello Joe so you are going to get the CAT that will be a nice addition to your fleet. Ed
Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 11889

[quote=Lil Giants;901325]
but however, I got a different rc project in mind that'll dwarf all my dirt haulers, goodies will be showing up here in a week or two. [quote=Lil Giants;901325]

10x10 semi Pulling multiple trailers?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 AM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Can't wait to see the new toy. We're in this for the long haul...so when you get busy...we'll be able to wait...anxiously.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 13092

Love your video,s Joe, you still amaze me everytime you operate one of your r/c,s, your such a natural on them, oh when you get a chance, I need a cellar dug for me, lol, thanks Joe for all your input, allen
Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 AM
JOE

What CAT Ed (curiosity sake)? Nope not anything Caterpillar.

Close RT9, there will be multiple trailers..

Thanx for the encoragement Greg & Allen, always appreciated.

How's your vision & diabetes treating you Allen, hopefully you're on the mend and will rejoin our hobby again soon.

A teaser pic..
(a couple more boxes to show up yet)

Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 AM
JOE

Whatever it is it'll have to wait, Number 1 is in dire need of attention!

Pump started getting noisy last wkend, the bearing in this support is toast!

The whole top end here needs a bath! Tear it all down, clean it, shorten wires and mount electronics permanent, I got it working the way I want it to. Got to fit everything better so I can get the hood to sit flush.

Got a mountain of dirt to clear away!

I was hoping to get all the way across with this 6 inch cut before leaving the wall, but the right track went dead, a set screw somewhere in the powertrain lost its grip! I did make a movie crippling it down with one functional track, but I didn't position the lighting correctly & the dark shadows make some it hard to see. It took nearly an hour to shape shift dirt to do it.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Member Number: 12364

Hey Joe ,good luck with your 850 ,hope you get her back going soon.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Member Number: 17353

Hello Joe,
I was glad to hear back from you, sorry if this reply seams a little late but we shipped the chickens out this week and are in the middle of cleaning the barn. Perhaps a skilled team of loader operators would move things along.
I am curious about the tracked shovels like the JD 850, what radio are you using on it? I was noticing in the building of this one that the track drive has the motor in line with the track as opposed to the motor mounted perpendicular to the drive sprocket do you have a preference to the type of drive train configuration and does one have an advantage over the other.
Looking on the websites on these machines it seems you really need to know what options you want to be able to come up with a price on them and I am not really sure what I am looking at on these pages when it comes to the options.
I can imagine that with the popularity of the work you are doing that the demands on your time are increasing from people like me who are trying to get information from someone with level of experience that you have. I also need to figure out what my budget will need to be for an adventure like this, because as you know that on the farm unexpected expenses are always just around the corner.
Thanks for now Steve.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 PM
JOE

Generally speaking, the "options" to be considered are mainly cosmetic details you may want to add to dress up your model from the basic kit. The hyd system and electric drives are standard issue to the kit. The track motors are inline on this particular model b/c they are so large to propel such a heavy mass of material. Smaller models that you may have seen have small spur gearhead motors with the drive sprocket directly to them.. 20lbs model doesn't require much power to move it about.

I use a Spektrum DX8 with this hoe, not the best choice as the track functions on a Sabertooth dual esc don't work well with the 3pos switches I have left to use. Spektrum is suppose to have a DX10T radio coming soon.. although its release has been delayed several times now.. I think this will be the ultimate radio for any constr model rc.. it should rival the Graupner MC22 that the europeans like to use so much.

No worries about the late reply, that's the beauty of the internet & email, it's there when you have time for it. But yes, lately the attn has consumed alot of my time (5hrs today already with forums, yt and emails).. another month of slack time & then I won't be around much till next Fall, after harvest..

Use this tool to navigate the non english sites, not perfectly translated, but well enough to get you around.

http://translate.google.com/#

Today's fun & games..

Took about an hour to strip it down.. my hands are black!

I sent Frank a mail for his thoughts.. (funny guy )

"Congratulations, im 100% shure that your model is the first that move 4 cubic of such a hard clay, normaly people just “play” with ther models. And congratulations as whell, youre the first that gets the pump unit fall in pieces, your my product tester! No, just joking a bit, its really interesting for me, what can happens if you really use the machine."

The bit of good luck with the 1 box arriving Friday is that it has another pump assembly in it, I can rob the bearings from it and get my hoe back together in a couple hrs.

Here's a part 1 of descending off the wall last night.

Last edited by Lil Giants : 03-04-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 AM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Joe, I referenced the size of this bad boy to the mess on your bench. The 850 is huge! I didn't realize it was so big. The 80 lbs. makes sense now. Now I'm even more jealous. I was playing with my son's tonka trucks today and couldn't help but think how much fun some scale equipment would be to play with. Unfortunately, the pricetag will keep me glued to your vids. At least I don't have to even entertain the possibility getting into this aspect of the hobby! An axial...sure...quick and easy, but a Vario isn't exactly an impulse buy!