Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Member Number: 17747
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

hey i was looking at the pics of the track drive of the back hoe and was wondering about how you dig with it, in real excavation we keep the drives behind us and try as much as possible not to dig over the drive because it causes more strain then they need....just my $0.02 perhaps it may help you out
just a thought from an observer
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:55 PM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

No need for a mechanic dozzablue, I just need to break my bad habbit of not fixing till I need it.

lilbandit85, I point the drives downhill usually, for two reasons: 1) b/c of the spring tensioned idlers, I want to be pulling from the bottom of the track travelling uphill so as not to be skipping the sprocket over the links from pulling on the top, 2) when I'm ripping, really maxxing out the hyd power of the arm, again it's better to be pulling on the bottom of the track, so it stays planted!, instead of springing back & forth on the tension on the idler.

Got hammered with rain again yesterday & today after just getting started Thursday.. got the puck out of here yesterday & took a nice drive down to Helena, Montana to meet up with a long time amercian friend, really scenic south of Great Falls.. I would love to live down there in the Bear Paws!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM
JOE

Finnished planting on Monday, then made a few movies with the 850 outside.. the GoPro looks good with natural light, this was 8:30pm.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 AM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

More amazing vids Joe! I'm always amazed at your control...perfection. Perfectly scale. I've seen so many german vids with jerky motions that kill their scale equipment. Not you. You nail it every time.
8:30 Pm! It looks like 5! Unbelievable. I spent some time over seas in luxembourg. I remember going to the bar and at 10 o'clock, the sky was still dark blue and it felt like 6pm. I'd fall asleep and the birds would start chirping at 3:30 am and the sun would start to rise. I thought I was late for work and it was only 4 in the morning. Weird ways up north!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 11517

nice vid, and great work
Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
It can all be R/C...

Member Number: 10401

Like the truck Joe. I have to say you are right out there in no where..beautiful
great films once again...
“The Optimist sees the glass half full; the Pessimist sees the glass half empty. The Engineer sees the glass as ‘Twice as bloody big as it should’ave been in first place!!’…” Dorian Hindmarsh BEng Phd
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 PM
JOE

Very kind of you to say Greg.. just wish my modelling ambition was as vibrant, as the models are stacking up wiating for repairs.. bad case of ADD whenever I sit at my workbench.

It's a nice slice of heaven dozzablue, I enjoy the solitude.

pontiacmann

I was sizing what was left of the wall this week & it's about a cubic yard or less to mine away yet.. start of the winter it was approx 4x5x10 which equals 200 cubic feet - 7.4 cubic yards .. so there's over 6cu yd piled around the basement to be hauled sometime this summer.. about double what I normally tackle.... I could do with some trk drivers.

You wouldn't guess it from this picture, but a few days prior it looked like December with six inches of heavy wet snow on Sunday.

I got a liner load of cattle last Friday from a good friend who renting some of my pasture this yr.. several of them are like dogs following me around the corral, stand right in front of me wanting a scratch! haha

Tuesday was a nice warm day, dried up in front of house, so I emptied out this bin, about 30 loads worth!

I went up the stairs each time to look out the kitchen window for a 3D view to get all the loads piled tightly together.

Hauled from a few other areas wed/thur night as well.. about 50 loads out there now..

Old 06-03-2012, 03:48 PM
It can all be R/C...

Member Number: 10401

hey joe, I love that last picture, it looks like a real yard opperation from a far off hilside or something. You just need a Portacabin for a site office and a barrier and your there!! I'll knock one up....
D
“The Optimist sees the glass half full; the Pessimist sees the glass half empty. The Engineer sees the glass as ‘Twice as bloody big as it should’ave been in first place!!’…” Dorian Hindmarsh BEng Phd
Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 AM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Do any of them fetch a tennis ball?!!! Great update.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Member Number: 18157

Hi Joe, Your videos are so cool they have inspired me to join my first forum. I'm only half way through catching up on this forum but have a question that you or someone else might have an answer to. on excavators with hydraulic motors driving the tracks, how do the hydraulic lines pass through the turrent, being each motor takes two lines if you keep turning in one direction youll end up with a knot of brokin hoses, i know from running real excavators that this dosnt happen. is there a special four line swivel fitting? Well back to page 27 and maybe in a couple of days ill be cought up with yall
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Whew Finally finnished the thread. And i didnt even read all of it to 100%. Its so cool that you have gotten internatiional recognition. sorry my spelling sucks. I dont know if ill ever be able to afford an excavator but now i know if i do my wife said see wants a dump truck . pperty cool that she likes rc's too.
Im afraid the only way ill have one of these is to scratch build one hence the prior post. dont know what scale it will be but was thinking of useing a car batt. in it 1 for long and easily rechargable power and 2 for the sheer weight. need to figure out how to mill out a hyd. pump and valves. cylinders are perty easy, ive made a pnumatic one on a matel lathe before.
off the soap box John, sorry
Joe love the videos, pics., and the fact you are accomplishing a real world task with these machiens{spelling} keep it up and ill cerntially keep tagging along
Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 AM
JOE

Hello John, perhaps during your read you noticed the electric slip ring that transfers power from the house to the undercarriage on the JD850 hoe, I had it in pieces b/c of arcing of the contacts? I corrected the problem with diaelectric grease.

There is only one model company offering hyd motors on the tracks (Damitz Modellbau) & I don't know exactly how it's done.. probably similar to the 1:1 version.

Thank you for your interest & praise of my contributions, much appreciated.

You and the wife would no doubt make a great team, what might you call your construction company?

Still working at the basement wall a few hrs a week, digging at the wall now from the basement floor. Maybe a half yard to mine away yet, then dig a trench for the posts. The trench needs to be 30 inches deep, beyond the reach of the 850, but I'll dig as much I can with it, providing I don't strike any major boulders.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Hi Joe, yes i did see that video and that is exactly how i figured they connected upper and lower electrical connections, i've talked with some of the mechanics at work and it sounds like it is one multi-line connection with a common pivit point to the turrent.

I've also noticed 2 years ago you posted a video "Back in the crawl space" [I think it was called] with a john deere dozer in whitch you advised people to mute it so far into the vid. Dose that dozer have a true 6 way blade? it looks angled for windrowing. I seen tilt clyinders and lift cylinders but no camera angle to see if there was any angle cylinders, also havnt seen that dozer in any other video

Sorry I'm so long winded it's just wonderfull to communicate with people in the hobby i've so long drempted about, I guess I've been in a shell too long,

In answer to your question "Tegtmeier Teraforming" possable, don't really know yet i gotta build something first, and that might take years if im scratch building a cat 385

speeking of which dose anyone konw where i can find some demention prints i can start with, every thing i've found is so general

Last edited by John T : 07-19-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 13092

Hey Joe if you strike oil when digging the holes for your posts, you will never have to worry about anything again, except building you 1/14 scale tankers and oil rig, lol. Have a good one Joe
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 AM
JOE

No cyls on the angling of the blade, it's moved by hand to three positions. I haven't found the correct track motors here in north america to fix it..

Don't know of a site for the info you seek.. I believe those who build from scratch get themselves a 50th or 16th scale model to help them with their dimensions & possibly take some civil liberties along the way too.

The oil is within 10 miles of my farm and seeing what aggravations other farmers go through being in the thick of it, I hope they never strike oil on my land. I don't own the mineral rights & the value of leases isn't worth the destruction they cause to the land or the infrastructure. If I struck oil Allen, I'd be plugging, shoveling & shutting up!

Something I did today was modify one of my ripper tooths, much better angle for carving at the vertical wall.