Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Pigpen of Miscellany > Outdoor Pursuits
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Outdoor Pursuits Camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
No I didn't

Member Number: 8571
B/S/T Feedback: (14)
Default Amateur Spelunking!

So for the past three years I've driven down this same stretch of road, and never once noticed that we had caves. We went crawling at the mouth of them last night, and did a little exploration, so I decided to go back with my camera today. Not much to be seen, other than bits of dust and rock, but still it was pretty neat.

In total I believe there are 4 separate caves, some dead ends, some come out as a hole in the ground. The longest one is about 65 to 70 yards in length, and average from 2 feet high to 12 feet high. Some places you have to crawl through on your hands and knees.

The plan is for our next GTG on the 21st of May is to get all the guys hooked up with LED's and do some cave crawling. There are a few areas where part of the roof dropped done many many years ago that are fantastic for scalers. If we get enough guys interested we may host a TTCC (Top Truck Cave Challenge) lol.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Everybody Needs Rock N Roll

Member Number: 4514
B/S/T Feedback: (45)

A TTC Cave challenge would be sweet! You need a better light so we can see farther in with the pics!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
No I didn't

Member Number: 8571
B/S/T Feedback: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockEd Out View Post
A TTC Cave challenge would be sweet! You need a better light so we can see farther in with the pics!
That's the hard part, LED flashlights are useless in the caves, my Mag lights are out of batteries or I would have used those. The only light that really did much of anything was my HTC Evo flashlight, which is LED, and works well, but only for short distances. I have a flood light somewhere that I will probably set up for our crawl just to get some good pictures and maybe some video.

It's like a horror film, your flashlight only goes so far (about 10 to 15 feet) and everything past that is creepy shadows!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Banned

Member Number: 14269
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

some onboard video would be really cool from inside the cave.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 AM
THE_JOKER

Member Number:

Just add monsters an call Steven Spielberg lol.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:52 AM
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Member Number: 7431
B/S/T Feedback: (92)

Looks cool.....I got a new flashlight for Christmas...it's a Maglite...3 cell (D's)...LED....MAN...talk about BRIGHT !!!!

That will be really fun.....but be sure to make it a SPEED Course.....we don't want everyone standing around in the section of cave that has a history of having a falling roof !!

ArOn
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 8847
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Are they natural caves? They look more like old quarry shafts to me. We have some like this round here as well.

Ive also had the idea of doing some cave crawling already. Should be really interesting.

Oh and BTW, I got myself one of those cheap halogen hand spots you can get in construction and garden centers. The type with rechargeabe batteries.
They dont work for very long but have a good light output. Ive used them for photographing in dark places already and they work very well.