Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Member Number: 25805
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Eztec Jeep Grand Cherokee

I've started work on converting the Eztec Cherokee. I copied the chassis I had made for my Dodge and Landrover, the only real difference is that the centre gear box and motor have been moved much farther to the rear (as far as I could). This does mean, however, that I will have to make a pretty long front drive shaft. I tried to keep the interior intact as much as I could. Nevertheless, I had to cut out a rather big portion of the back seats. Fortunately, much of this will be hidden by the front seats. This is what the car looked like when I got it :

Chassis under construction :

Surgery on the interior :

The next job will be to fit the rear axle.

Arjan
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Looking nice and clean.
That's a real sharp body also.

Keep them coming.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Thanks, I still have some other projects in the pipeline . I recently acquired an Eztec Lincoln Navigator and a New Bright Ford F-150 FX4 should be on its way from the U.S. (the basic version without interior ). So far the FX4 with interior and the Lightning have eluded me (I think I like these two best of all the New Bright releases I know ).

I also have a New Bright Porsche 911 Turbo I would like to upgrade but that will probably be a 2wd affair.

Regards,

Arjan
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 AM

I've made some pics of my progress in between the showers. The body is sitting a bit too high on the chassis for my taste and the rear is sitting noticeably higher than the front (I may have to mount slightly shorter shocks at the rear) :

I used 4 screws to fix the "floor pan" onto the chassis. Two at the rear :

Two at the front :

The underside of the car :

Complete body mounted :

I still have to properly centre the wheels in the wheel arches, for this I will make some adjustable links. I definitely need some stiffer shock springs because this body is extremely heavy. Any suggestions for stiffer springs (preferably with an inner diameter of 12 mm) ?

Arjan
Old 09-11-2017, 05:26 AM

In the mean time I've tried some shorter and stiffer shocks, I think this results in a more realistic stance. A car with such a heavy body isn't a very suitable crawler anyway so these shorter shocks shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I've ordered a driver figure which I hope isn't too big. Of course he will require some surgery and paint . I opted for soccer player Andrea Pirlo of Mattel's RC Elite :

https://www.wehkamp.nl/merken/fc-elite/

I will take some pics later.

Arjan
Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 AM

Ive just made some pics of the car with its slightly lowered stance. I also fitted the lipo in between the chassis and the body.

Unfortunately, the soccer player figure I ordered proved to be slightly too big (his head touches the roof liner). I think I need a 10 inch figure instead, any ideas ?

I ordered some 5mm shafts in China to make a front drive shaft so it may take some weeks for these to arrive. By the way, I only noticed yesterday that the Eztec people omitted the fuel filler flap on the Cherokee.

Arjan

Last edited by reinaart : 09-13-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

That looks really good! Wheels are tucked in perfectly.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Thanks for your encouraging words . Not wanting to give up on my Italian driver figure I literally cut the poor chap to pieces. I'm still not happy with the result though.

Regards,

Arjan
Old 09-17-2017, 05:57 AM

I've continued working on my driver figure. I managed to make him sit a bit lower and I straightened his neck slightly. I used milliput to blend the torso into the lower body and to fill some gaps. I still have to do some detail painting and highlighting, after that I will apply a flat lacquer finish.

Arjan
Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Today I finished painting the driver figure. My figure painting skills are pretty mediocre but I'm pleased with how the face has turned out.

Arjan
Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 AM

This morning the 25cm steel shafts I had ordered in China arrived so I could finally assemble the front drive shaft. I ground off half of both shaft ends with an angle grinder. This allows the shafts to interlock inside the brass sleeve. One shaft is fixed to the sleeve and the other is left free to move up and down. This method is very simple but it works surprisingly well.

Arjan
Old 09-26-2017, 06:38 AM

In the mean time I've pretty much finished my Cherokee build. I tested the car today and it works fine. The only thing remaining is to connect the various led lights to a lighting unit but I prefer doing that later. This project has taken me about three weeks and I'm a bit fed up with it and I'd rather start with something else (a Ford F-150 Lightning or Ford F-350 ).

I fed the motor and lipo wires through the centre console :

These wires are hidden from view once the body is on :

I fed the wires of the rear lights underneath the headliner :

Final pics :

Arjan