Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:34 PM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Wow...! Nice to see this one getting some love again! Chassis looks awesome man!
This build is what pushed me over the edge to get into scratch building with styrene....Sweet!
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Up to no good

Member Number: 9106
B/S/T Feedback: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
Wow...! Nice to see this one getting some love again! Chassis looks awesome man!
This build is what pushed me over the edge to get into scratch building with styrene....Sweet!
Thanks Trini. Glad you were inspired...your Sandman certainly shows it.

I'm hoping to get the grill going this weekend. That should move things along to start the fenders and hood.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Up to no good

Dang Photobucket! I reloaded my pics from yesterday, but unfortunately, I'm not sure if they can be seen when you are not logged in. Sorry for that, but at least it was free. I may have to delete my PB account, and tell them where to stick it.

Last edited by Willezcr8 : 07-06-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Up to no good

Worked on the grill today, and got as far as the face.

I started by creating a template so it would be easier to get it transferred to the styrene. I keep alot of the blister packs from things I buy, so I just used a flat piece to trace over my pic. Then transferred it to .060" thick sheet styrene. Its amazing how much time goes into those slats, with the drilling, and filing and shaping. Thankfully, I have a Dremel, so it made it much easier to cut them out. I'll work on the shroud and mounting supports tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2017, 12:20 AM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Holee crap! It's always a pleasure for me to see your styrene work in progress! Meticulous attention to details...they always look like its either machine made or laser cut! Huge drools here!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Up to no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
Holee crap! It's always a pleasure for me to see your styrene work in progress! Meticulous attention to details...they always look like its either machine made or laser cut! Huge drools here!
Thanks Trini. Sometimes the time gets away from me, when I get in the "zone". I've even forgotten to stop and eat a few times.

Well progress from today...shroud is on and it mounts perfectly, in it's spot. I did have to reconfigure the mounting point on the frame though. I didn't actually measure for it 5 years ago...I just eyeballed it, knowing I would have to change things any way. I will still need to make the supports for the rods that come from firewall, but at least it's put together now. I also will need to finish drilling out for the lights, but I don't have them figured out yet.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Up to no good

Did some work on it today, but in a little different direction.

The wheels and tires are a real bear for this thing. A lot of folks like to use 2.2's on there Willys Jeeps and they look ok, if it has bigger off-road tires...gives them a decent crawler look. To me, they just look too small on them.

When I started this project, I wanted to keep the wheels looking as scale as possible, especially since mine was going to have the stock look. I did a few calculations and found that the only rims that really come out to the right size are the Clod rims. So that's what I have been working with. The only mod to the rims was to get them as narrow as possible. I'm going for the wide, stock rim look, like this...and my version includes "hubcaps" made from the oem wheels from a 1/6 scale Willys. They will be held in place with miniature magnets, so I can easily access the barrel fasteners. I fabbed my own locking hubs to add the scale look.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 04:58 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Ohhh yeaaaaa!!!!! That rim looks awesome!!!!
Old 08-06-2017, 05:52 AM
Up to no good

Thank you. Trying to get the magnets and valve stems in these today and then start the rears.

The rears will probably be a little easier, since there isn't as much fabricating that needs to be done. My only concern is clearing the barrel fasteners and still looking correct. I may have to grind a small amount off them to allow the rear "hubcaps" to seat correctly. We'll see.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 PM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Man the wheels look great. I always love trying to figure out what size wheel/tire to run on a scale truck for the "stock" look and all too often its a size in between what is offered lol.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Up to no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Man the wheels look great. I always love trying to figure out what size wheel/tire to run on a scale truck for the "stock" look and all too often its a size in between what is offered lol.
I know what you mean. It's so frustrating and right now I'm struggling with tires. I've modified a set the 2.2 ZXL's, but I'm just not happy with them. I like the height of the MTZ's but the width kills me, and I'm not sure I want to cut them just yet. Wish I had an old used one so I wouldn't feel so bad narrowing it.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Depending on how you narrow the XZL's it might end up looking very scale, the narrower versions of the 1:1 tires only have 3 lugs with the center one being wider vs the 4 lugs like most of the sizes have.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Up to no good

I modified a couple Proline's closed cell foams over the weekend. Stuffed them into the MTZ's and...dang if they don't look decent. It stretched them into slightly taller and narrower tires and the tread design is nice.

Now that I have a viable alternative, I'm gonna narrow the ZXL's this weekend and see how they look. Thanks for the pics bud. That's what I was looking for.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 PM

Cool deal glad it helped, I still dont really know much on the rc side of things but 1:1 tires are a area I have a ton of experience in.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Up to no good

I started with the stretched MTZ's and modified closed cell foams, which looked pretty decent, but were still a little too large, at 5.1" x 1.75", scaled out to about 30 x 10.5. Today, I narrowed one of the ZXL's and I like how it turned out. Added some side siping for detail. It turns out it's actually the perfect size now, 5"x1.4"...scales out to about an 8.00 x 15. I will finish the rest the same way, but I need to get some more rubberized super glue.

Here's the comparison...
Attached Images