Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Up to no good

Member Number: 9106
B/S/T Feedback: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headquake View Post
Wow! This thing is looking awesome. Very nice indeed.
The details are amazing and all the lines and curves looks so smooth. Keep up the great work.
Great driver too by the way.
Thanks HQ...coming from you, that means alot to me. I've followed all of your incredilble wooden vehicles and you have inspired me to build bigger for a better scale appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barecool View Post
Wow...Impecable work very clean and nicely done... i especially like the amount of detail on the floor board and the shifter...the seats must have been a pain to fab. they came out great...are you going to cover the seats in canvas or use styrene to finish them up...
Thanks barecool. The frame bending wasn't bad, but when I was brazing the multiple pieces together at the same time, my frustration went through the roof until I figured out an easy way to keep it all together...I used steel wire wrapped around it and twisted till the frame was tight enough to hold the pieces in place. It really got tricky when I was attaching those little peg supports. As for covering them...I'm running a few idea's in my head, just haven't locked them down. At first, I was going to just make them outta styrene, then my wife offered to make little seat covers for me. With that in mind, I may just use high density foam and carve the shape and cover them or just paint them after carving. And I haven't ruled out the styrene version yet either. We'll see, today will be the dash panel.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 5394
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Thanks for documenting and posting this build, it has helped me to decide to do a better job detailing out the body on another 1/6th scale Hasbro Willys that I'm starting on. It won't be anywhere near the detail level of yours but thanks to your pics, I will have a decently detailed floor along w/ the storage compartment under the passenger side seat.

I had a CJ-3A years ago, I had forgotten most of the body details until I starting watching your build thread.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Up to no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Thanks for documenting and posting this build, it has helped me to decide to do a better job detailing out the body on another 1/6th scale Hasbro Willys that I'm starting on. It won't be anywhere near the detail level of yours but thanks to your pics, I will have a decently detailed floor along w/ the storage compartment under the passenger side seat.

I had a CJ-3A years ago, I had forgotten most of the body details until I starting watching your build thread.
Thanks for that awesome compliment. I did a little research and the floor for the 2A and 3A look to be the same as mine...maybe slightly narrower but sam shape. Since the 2A is a civilian MB Willys, it will be nearly identical to the MB with the exeption of the extended gas tank and grill. Depending on the model you will do, will determine the grill and floor details. The older Hasbro does seem to resemble the 2A and 3A grill though. The windshield between the 2A and 3A is different, but relatively the same size in dimensions.

Last edited by Willezcr8 : 10-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

I was thinking it would be cool if you kept it all styrene, build the seats from styrene by texturing the seats some how, scratch fabric patern into them or heat something up and press it into the styrene to give it the look of fabric and finish it off with some paint. If you did it just right you would have people touching it to see if it was fabric and to their surprise it woulf be hard plastic! Or you could just have your wife sew covers and stuff them with foam LOL!!either way would be cool!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Up to no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJEEPBUILDER View Post
I was thinking it would be cool if you kept it all styrene, build the seats from styrene by texturing the seats some how, scratch fabric patern into them or heat something up and press it into the styrene to give it the look of fabric and finish it off with some paint. If you did it just right you would have people touching it to see if it was fabric and to their surprise it woulf be hard plastic! Or you could just have your wife sew covers and stuff them with foam LOL!!either way would be cool!
It's amazing that you have that idea with the styrene, because that was exactly what I was thinking of doing initially. I was trying to keep the time down on doing some things, but you have inspired me to revisit this idea. I could even create stitching, just have to nail down the pattern. These seats are made with 2 different types of mateial, do-able with thin enough styrene, maybe .010.
See here

Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 AM

Member Number: 16128

One word ....... MINDBLOWING!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Patience is a virtue...

Member Number: 16169

Going with that thinking of using the styrene i was just thinking could it be possible of using a thread as to create the pattern using your the method you mentioned above..or some kind of fine small mesh and pressing it against the soft styrene..

dont know if it would work... if i had some styrene here i would try it and post the results but my shipment is delayed as were i live the post office is on strike..

by the way do you have pics of the jig you used for the seat frames im just fascinated by how they came out...
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Just graduated out of Newbie School

Member Number: 9341

I am totally speechless..... WOW
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Up to no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by barecool View Post
Going with that thinking of using the styrene i was just thinking could it be possible of using a thread as to create the pattern using your the method you mentioned above..or some kind of fine small mesh and pressing it against the soft styrene..

dont know if it would work... if i had some styrene here i would try it and post the results but my shipment is delayed as were i live the post office is on strike..

by the way do you have pics of the jig you used for the seat frames im just fascinated by how they came out...
Thanks for the idea's...I do have an idea in mind to replicate that rib design in the middle...use a 64 pitch spur gear on a roller setup, paint the those panels and roller the design into the paint before it has cured completely. Once it's cured and dry, paint it the color I want. It won't be done right away, cause I have to order some more .010 and .015 styrene. Sucks not being close to a LHS.

As for the jig...what jig? It's all free hand with exception of the aid of the steel wire twisted around the frame to hold the bars in place while I solder 'em in. Clamped into a mini vise to keep it still...and shazaam.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Member Number: 4070

Unreal I have 1953 m38a1 sitting in my side yard. The entrior is first class. If my MS lets up I would love to get her running.

Evan
Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Up to no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRockSpider View Post
Unreal I have 1953 m38a1 sitting in my side yard. The entrior is first class. If my MS lets up I would love to get her running.

Evan
Ahhh...the original CJ-5. Those are very nice Jeeps and truelly "trail ready". Does it run now and you are restoring or doesn't run and restoring? Been workin on my '58 for about 10 years...just hit a few bumps in the past 3 years with jobs and money. Got any pics?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Up to no good

Default Small

Just a small ...family dropped in unexpectedly.

Started the dash panel, speedo, glove box, steering tube support.

Cut out a photo copy of my 1:1 speedo, cut an 1/8" strip from .040 sheet, found a 16mm socket to be the correct inside dia and wrapped it around the socket, added a little heat and glued the ends together. Once the glue dried, I cut another template from the .040 sheet with the correct outside dia so it would stay round while I glued a backplate to it. Cut a clear disc matching the inside dia of the ring. A quick shot of Tamiya semi-gloss black, laid speedo "decal" into the ring and slipped in the clear disc. Used an old trick from modeling - rather than glue I ran a bead of clear top coat around inside edge to secure the disc.

the finished speedo

and this is where it is at right now

Still have the knobs, glove box door, headlight switch, and grab bar to do.

Any one have any ideas for the head light switch? I'm thinkin I'm going to try some kind of push/pull rod to a switch. Just can't seem to get the connection between the switch and the knob and still be scale.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I wish I was cool like you.

Member Number: 3298
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

looks pretty real, nice job!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Scale is good!

Member Number: 1144
B/S/T Feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willezcr8 View Post

Any one have any ideas for the head light switch? I'm thinkin I'm going to try some kind of push/pull rod to a switch. Just can't seem to get the connection between the switch and the knob and still be scale.
hello, i "drill/turn" this with my Dremel: to give it the look of push switch on my BJ40

Guillaume
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Hiluxian of note

Member Number: 2184

Wow man, unbelieveable detail!! Looks stunning!!

I made a switch for my jeep with a nail, then dipped the head in epoxy and suck it in my hand dril and sanded it to shape. The working bit of it is explained in my thread here.http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...&postcount=204

Pm me if you have any questions!