Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Just graduated out of Newbie School

Member Number: 9341
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default South African Willys Mb

I stumbled on a video of one these on youtube so now....

The idea is to build a trail rig that looks right and works right. I'm using Axial axles, 2.2 Rok Lox, tamiya 3 speed gearbox( if i can find one) remote transfer case ( not sure which one yet), an one off ali version of a Dragon chassis, and some World Peacekeeper 12 inch figures. As always I've been checking out the other builds here for ideas and tips, so thanks in advance to those who's ideas and thinkinhg will find it's way onto this Jeep.

Lucky for me a mate has a Dragon, which he is going to do, so I had a chassis to copy and some other parts he has already got to design from so I've been modeling up on that chassis to get everything in the right place so laser cutting happens once. There are a few things that'll need fine tuning later on but is that not normal?

I have no idea what the finished product will be or how long this is going to take to build, other than twice as long as what target I think!

This is probably old news but http://www.powerteamfigures.com has some very cool. very detailed figures and some cool sets with lots of scale stuff...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Been a little busy but got some time in to build.

I used the plastic Dragon chassis to mount all the suspension onto just to work out where it should go and then made a ali version which is going under the rig. I've still got a few things to finish up on the chassis before it is 100% finished but it is very close. I like to draw everything up on Cad first as I found that helps me relax in the evenings and as a added plus aids the building process by taking some of the guess work out... and maybe one day I'll make an ali body so I've got all the drawing already!

It's getting a Tamiya three speed gearbox so I had to move the transfer case back and make it "remote". I'm using the standard transfer case but I
Iíve taken the middle gear out and putting the output gear from the gearbox in its place. No mods other than the use of a long 5mm dowel pin to connect the the drive shaft to, I was stoked to find the centre distances between the gears where perfect! It does change the final drive ratio a small amount but the 55 turn motor will offset that effect.

The only issue I have at the moment is the shocks I've got are too long and the position they are mounted in (centered on the rear cross member) is going to cause this rig to torque twist a lot. So shorter shocks mounted straight up or small holes cut in the body and "ammo boxes" to cover the shock towers of the current shocks mounted more outwards. I'm not sure yet which route I'll go.

I also had to space the wheels out 8mm to stop them fouling on the chassis at full lock but it is still not enough so I need to make my spacers go to 12mm more offset and then that'll solve that and give it a better turning circle. Luckily it is easy to make the spacers for these wheels ase the the hub does away with the hex so the spacers go straight on the rim.

Thatís all for this weekend!
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM

I have started mounting the three speed gearbox and sorting out the angles of the drive shafts. I had to tilt the 'box slightly rearwards to get the angle correct to the transfercase. The gearbox mounts also double as the mounts for the gear change and steering servos. I also sorted the rear shock issue out by using 80mm shocks from RC4WD and moving then so the stand more upright, slightly less articultion but also should get rid of some of the "really gets on my nerves" torque twist with out changing pinion and crownwheel gears.

It is a tight fit in the Hasbro body but the Dragon body has more space at the rear of the engine compartment which is wonderful...

Now to start neating up the transfer case mount and doing some sort of bashplate under it.

Cheers

Aub
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Still here.

Member Number: 227
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

Nice! Looking fun!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Looks great Aubrey! Looks like the 4 link font end is going to clear the tranny just perfect..How about a nice side view pic with the body on the chassis?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 3754

Looks like a lot of attention to detail, nice job, let's see some more.

Baaie lekker! Hoe gaan dit in Durb's by die see? I sure miss the Durban Poisons, Maritzburg Slugs, and the sardine runs. LOL.
Broke MoFo club member#23,
If only I had known I would lived this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM
What the hell kind of name is that?

Member Number: 4096

This is damn fine work. I'm envious of your chassis. She's a beaut...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM

So It has been a few months since the last time I posted anything on this build and now it won't let me post pics the progress........ tells me I've uploaded the max of ten files???

I landed up having to do a three link front end so that the suspension will miss the gearbox
Proline Flat Irons 2.2
3 racing bead locks
made the front and rear bumpers
Wheely King Axles
I've remote mounted the Transfer case like a Suzuki sj413 to keep the gearbox under the hood but I've stood it up 90 degrees to the last pic of it and put the gear back inside so the motor now turns the correct direction and does not whine so much
Mounted the body properly

The first Jeep (the one running Axial Axles and ROK LOX) is done and at it's owner so now he just needs to use it so we can iron out the bugs.

I'll put pics of all this ASAP
Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM

I've decided to try make my own winch from a old high torque servo. Hopefully it will look some thing like this it's done. It will be function than form as I'd actually like it to pull more than the 2kgs that a 1/8th scale winch can.

I have a simple version of this in my 2.2 tuber so I know it works really well but that is hidden inside the rig so pretty it is not!

I'll make it tonight see how it turns out?
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I love my wife!!!!

So did yu make the winch yet bud? I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for a pic!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 AM

I have been super snowed under at work and have no time to do any work on the winch. I did make some off it but for some reason the forum won't let me post pics which is driving me crazy!

It'll lift two complete clod axles with wheels and motors with no effort using a JR Pro 519 servo with with an old school speed controller. Total weight lifted so far before it stalls the servo motor is 3kg. Just think what a high torque servo will lift? I'm going to test it until it breaks to see how much abuse it will handle.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Here is a pic of the first one I did for my mate Pierre. I did not do any pics during the build for it for various reasons but none the less here it is.

I'm well stoked with how it turned out. Pierre did a brilliant job of the cosmetic side of this build and it really finished it off superbly. Not to blow my own trumpet or anything but it does drive well to!
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Hiluxian of note

Member Number: 2184

Very nice aub! Looks superb!!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 3754

Turned out looking fantastic, nice work!
Broke MoFo club member#23,
If only I had known I would lived this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Killer as expected! I hope to see a video soon!