Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Just graduated out of Newbie School

Member Number: 9341
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Sadly the first seems to be a bit of a shelf at the moment due to its owner being very very busy at work lately which is not entirely a bad thing at the moment! As soon as he calms down to a mild panic I'll get him out on the trail and I'll do a video.

Took mine out and did a mechanical shakedown in the garden. I need to sort out the drive shaft between the gearbox and tranny with some metal UJ's and I have ordered heavyduty propshafts. It kept pushing the grubscrew out of the rubbish UJ I used as a test build unit.

I also need some more scale looking shocks...the Wild Willys shocks I have just don't look right! As soon as I get a gap from work I'll do some more work on it.

Sorry still no pics yet. I'm working on that.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

quit working so hard bud LOL..You need to enjoy life (rc life) a little more.
Just kiddin keep up the hard work,,,after all with out hard work where would we be..Well I guess we would be running our RCs LOL..
Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 AM

Here is mine so far. I did a proper shakedown run with better propshafts and I ran a 55 turn motor. This thing is like have an underdrive unit in it when in first gear! I used second gear pretty much everywhere else and third gear I used when walk on the path. Just the normal teething hassles and one or suspension quirks to sort out ( I don't like the axles steering when at full articulation) and must get better shocks! So I'll move the bottom links in board a bit and wait for payday and get some shocks....

Next is the roll cage and then to maybe change the colour.

I am very happy with it as the guy I went with had a Wraith and it went all the places...just not at the same speed.

Small run down on components: WK axles. Tamiya three speed gearbox with split transfercase moved to center of rig ,55 turn motor, Tazer 10T ESC, the cheapest shocks on the planet from a Wild Willies I think (free), Axial Rims, Super swampers, Intergy propshafts, self made Aluminium chassis, flea-bay Jeep body and World Peacekeeper driver.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 AM

Correction shocks ARE from a Wild Willys.....
Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 AM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Looks great!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Been out driving the bugs out of it so I can make it stronger. Stripped the hex out the Axial Rockstar rims so I'm back to my old eight hole ones again,
for some reason it keeps spitting a wheel off every so now and again. And not always the same one! I got aluminium hexes now in the hope the that will help that... Also need to find a better home for the battery but it must be easy to get to. Time to make the bonnet open

Another issue I have is that it very battery hungry. MY 5000MaH LiPo only gets about 40 mins run time as oppposed to the 1.5 to 2 hours I get in my Axial drivetrained Landy. What run times do you guys get out yours?

I run this set up: stock tamiya silver can, a tazer 10T esc ( a nice cheap esc with crawler setting), tamiya hi-lift 3 speed 'box and SuperSwampers. This thing is light and weighs in at just under 4kg's ( we use metric in South Africa).
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Hiluxian of note

Member Number: 2184

Swap your silver can with a 55turn motor, and your battery will last longer.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Whooooosh....

Member Number: 10023

I think you did a superb job.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks Louisbaby , I'm very happy with it too. When you coming to Durban to come crawl?

It goes a whole lot longer with the novak and 55t and has super awesome slow crawling ability with this set up. Very happy, now I just need more more wheel speed for sand with losing too much of that torque....
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Hiluxian of note

Member Number: 2184

Looks nice!!

Aaah the joys of crawling, unless you have a 2 speed gearbox or more, you can't quite have torque AND speed. you have to sacrifice one for the other. I think the closest you can get to both worlds is to get a 35Turn motor and a bigger pinion. You will get less time on your battery, but more than what you got from your silver can. A fair amount of torque and a little more speed. I prefer crawling over speed, but whatever floats your boat!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 5394

How well is the 3 speed working out? I'm considering using one for my next Willys build.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 PM

I aslo prefer crawling over speeding around the parking lot too. I put the 55 in and I'm leaving it in because it is perfect everywhere except sand but like airwolfie I like crawling but the guys I trail with all run Wraith's... I've decided to not try keep out and enjoy my Jeep as it should be, just the way it is with the 55 turn. They can just wait for me!

Bigski, three speed is brilliant! I use second gear pretty much everywhere, third gear for walking on the open sections between obstacles and my favorite, first gear for when I need to crawl with lots of control. This has become my favorite rig for trailing!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 AM

I finally got around to posting a pic of the winch I'm making for the Jeep.
Fairly straght forward to make, take electronics board and limit for pot out, plug it into a cheap esc and ta da....

It will lift two clod axles (+- 3kg) with wheels on pretty easily and i did that (up and down) in the vice for a good ten minute solid to see if it would burn the servo motor out.It survived that so going to finish it and mount it on the Jeep soon.

It is a standard JR Pro 519 servo.
Attached Images

Last edited by aub : 10-06-2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 PM

Member Number: 16516

Gday mate another Expat in kiwi-land & an rc fan! Just started my Dragon build and found your thread regarding chassis for the jeep,any chance of popping me an e-mail with some more info.Like your winch -- hope it is all still running!! springmoer@gmail.com -- Keep up the good work.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Howzit Bravo! How is the land kiwis and Tolkien's mountain ranges in that epic movie... which were actually the good ol' Drakensberg he was describing as those books were writen in Bethlehem in the Free State! (not the one in Isreal) No wise men to be found in the Orange Free State.... real men maybe but not wise... Jokes aside... HUGE SIDE BAR THERE.....

Winch working well! I have put it in my other trail truck as it looked a bit odd on the Jeep. Busy making a more scale looking one but that is turning into a lengthy process, as these things tend to. I'll drop you a mail a bit later, what info are you after?

Cheers!

Aub

PS awesome email address!