Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Member Number: 7584
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default 2002 Chevy Avalanche.

2002 NewBright Chevy Avalanche ̶1̶/̶6̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶l̶e̶ .... Errrr... 1/8th scale.

I always wanted to do one of these and with some random and lucky hunting on craigslist and I was able to get 2 trucks for 40 bucks. (Steal! Since the last Avalanche like this went on E-bay for 289 bucks for one. I Bid up to $100 that was my limit.) Also scored a 1/6 VW New Beetle the same day more on that come winter time. Since this summer is filled with 60 hour work weeks at Hersheypark I really do not have a lot of time to work on this project and due to my wish to return to school and finish my degree I do not have a lot of money to throw at these projects. So the first one will be a “hard core” scale off-roader. You know that show truck you see that has never seen a bit of mud with the 35 inch tires and a lift plus a pretty paint job. That. That is what I am going to build. Except this will go off road. A lot. Due to a dwindling supply random bits, This one will not be as clever as the GMC YUKON. No 3 speed. No auto 4x4 or limited slip diffs. A brushless motor, a gear box, transfer case and some locked axles. The second truck will be as close to showroom stock as I can. Again... More on that later... Much later.

Squee the rat ready to go. Suki the cat curious as to the new toy Squee was getting to ride around in.

Rat getting ready to jump on to cats back. Cat and rat are buds however cat is not a fan of being a ride.

Sukis sees something stacked up. Must climb. Aparently she does not know she is 18.

So it turns out this truck is a perfect 1/8th scale model. I have a buddy with a real one and every measurement was near as makes no difference 1/8th scale. So that makes things like wheels and tires easier. So to save money I went with a set of Axial wheels with orange bead rings. So the truck will be in Chevys Burnt orange with black cladding. Tires are a set of 4.34 OD tires. That is pretty close to scale 35's. Axles are provided by a 3 year old scx10 as is the main gear box. The transfer case has yet to be determined. More then likely the RC4wd .75:1 unit.

This is my frame so far. Nothing impressive. Just some cut and bent aluminum C-channel. I still need to weld. But I like to have all my bits dummied up before I weld.

So for now it is held together with some rubber bands. But it is basically what will be the end product minus the mounts for gear box ect.

More to come as I have time. Oh yeah and......
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 776
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

like that cat and rat get along so well
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Here is the interior body tray:

Here is the frame hacked in to the interior body tray:

I am not sure why the frame looks bent in the photo. I assure you it is strait.

I really want to keep the interior of this truck so everything has to be worked around the new bright stocks. Thankfully there are some good places to stash stuff. I already know that the lipo will go under the hood where the radiator and fan would sit in a real truck. Currently fighting with the stickers to remove them and then time for sanding of the body. This truck will see the depths of the many creeks so for the interior I am going to use a vinyl spray. It give the look of leather and is %100 waterproof when cured.

Since I have a second body to work with I can paint this one and have it all ready and use the other to get the fit right. And I am not %100 on the burnt orange and black. Any recommendations. I can always de- and re-anodize the aluminum for the bead lock rings. Or just use black rings. I am flexible on that. So any suggestions for the colors?

Here is the truck set mocked up. It seems to work out pretty well. Still a a long way from hitting any trail.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 PM

So my truck is slowly getting there. I spent the day (my one day off this week) out with “Big Blue” in the creeks of PA and I did not spend to much time on the “Lanche” today. But this is what I got done.

I made the lip protectors for the front of the body. The front end gets the most abuse so this helps with cracking and other general damage from my general stupidity.

My build desk is a royal mess. I have a entire room in our house dedicated to just RC crap and still I can not keep it sorted and I have cars still sitting in the living room... Dining room..... foyer.... I even have 2 in my wifes office. She is a understanding woman....

I also started on the body re-enforcements. I have had to do so many repairs on “Big Blue” from hitting rocks and jumps gone wrong I want to protect this thing the best I can ahead of time. (No photos of this cuz I forgot to take them before I pulled them back off)

I had to sand off the burs and seams from the molding process. I skipped this once before on a large scale. It was painful to look at after paint. Lesson learned.

I have a bit more sanding to do on the doors and since I only half assed the gold body kit, I'll have to work on that a bit too. I got plastic primer in white since this is going to be a burnt orange body I want the color to pop. I will even do a silver back coat. The body kit will be black and I picked up the plastic bed liner I have used with great success before. That will also coat the bed of the truck. Well folks thats is all I have for tonight and possibly until next week.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
What the hell kind of name is that?

Member Number: 4096
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Good idea on that lip protection. You're right. That part of the body gets the snot beat out of it.

Fine work.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 PM

Little update.

Not a lot done. Again... 60 hour work weeks.... But I did have some free time yesterday and today. Here is what got done:
I decided that the way the beds tailgate worked just would not do.

I made a set of cable stays for it and now the tailgate can hold 4 pounds or so. (I'm thinking 1/8 RC quad at some point) So that seems to be nice and strong. I still have to come up with a bed lock so the tailgate won't open under flexing of the body.

I decided that the tailgate was to flimsy and needed a little structure in its life. I used some old plast-i-struct and finished it off.

After that was all sorted.... Pimetime! (Ok so that was lame.) But I did get the first primer coat done.

Then even had some time to do a proper sanding to the truck.

I tried to get a second coat of primer done but the humidity jumped up and the pressure fell.... Then the power went out. Not sure if the storm made the line pole fall or the car that crashed in to it. But No power till tomorrow. (Still have cable and modem and router are on battery back up so I have 3-5 hours of interwebs then the laptop battery dies..) So yes... Fun, Tomorrow I pick up my paint. Then no more work will be done for 2 weeks. Wife and I are going away for our one year anniversary. But I will try and get paint and wet sanding done before that.

OK so I need some help. I desperately want to make both trucks live rear+IFS. I could use a hand with something as wide as either a Wraith or SCX 10 axel Preferably a Wraiths. I do intend to dump the SCX hardware for some wider Wraith kit. A 38/13 Ring/pinion gearing is also needed. Preferably compact as the motor still has to sit atop it under the hood. So please even if the idea is a long shot let me know I have so many junk RC's to rob parts from. Wish me luck!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Too many ideas not enough time

Member Number: 16005
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

The slash and wraith are really close in width. I would order the parts for a 4x4 slash frontend and a wraith rear axle any difference in width should be easy to fix with different hexes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 PM

The slash 4x4 will not work due to the ring pinion gear ratio being off. The truck would bind a lot causing undue stress on the drive train. What ever it is it has to be a 38/13 ring-pinion. I am looking at the front end of the axial buggy. Depending on how much parts are. I also found out today that the MT2 nitro car has a front end that I might find useful and they are a dime a dozen on craigslist. Both car being that magical 38/13. I have decided that this truck WILL be IFS. What ever it takes.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 AM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

I'm using a hpi rs4 front end and you can use 38/13 gears or I believe 36/14 they swap out with axial gears/WK gears
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

Very nice work so far. Next time I'm out towards Hershey, maybe I'll bring 'Mo along for some big scale mayhem. Been a while since I got her out. Have to flip the diffs and have just not gotten around to it.

Using a hybrid RS4MT/MT2 front on mine as well.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Too many ideas not enough time

Member Number: 16005
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Just thought id throw that idea out there the slash 4x4 is 2.85:1 and stock wraith is 2.92:1 Just a slight overdrive effect on the front but alot less of a difference than when people overdrive the front axle on wraiths
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman98 View Post
Just thought id throw that idea out there the slash 4x4 is 2.85:1 and stock wraith is 2.92:1 Just a slight overdrive effect on the front but alot less of a difference than when people overdrive the front axle on wraiths
I have seen first hand 10th trux slash 4x4 front Axial rear and they were great in the mud and stuff Bad and I mean epically bad in sand at lower speeds.
I spent like 2-4 hours looking up different ratios of RC goodness. And while a slight overdrive is ok for crawlers and lighter trucks keep in mind this will weigh a good 10lbs (Big blue started at 12.3 and is down to 9.98) and will see mostly mid speed trails, pavement, sand and light crawling. So that binding would really make a hash of the drive train. I designed a A/4WD center diff that would make that front overdrive perfect when locked up. But I do not have the funds to have it CNC machined right now.

No At this point I have settled on getting a MT-2 off the interwebs. But there is a lot of body work that needs done. So off to do more of that!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Ahhh nearly 2 months ago I got back from vacation... Then I went back to about 64 hours a week at Hershey park... So Very little got done. Now that the regular season is about finished I am looking forward to getting back at this thing as funds allow (Currently paying for wifes masters degree). But I did however get the frame welded. It is cheap aluminum so it wanted to bend and twist a lot..

But it all came back and is so close to perfect I am thrilled. So now it is time to make and attach shock towers and drive train mounts.

I did get the last two coats of primer done and wet sanded.

And the body is ready for paint.

I do not think I will get the paint done before the cold weather hits. So it may just have to wait till the truck is ready to go in the spring. But that will give me better flexibility for making body mounts. I am designing this to be a "Hard mount" Battery and motor can be pulled with removing the body. So here is hoping that all works out

I have gotten started on painting the interior bits. Not much and not my best work with the gauges but it will do. It still looks massively better then new bright stock.

I already have the steering wheel servo set up working. (Video soon to come)
I am going to be using a plastic dye spray to make the tan plastics dark gray. Dark enough that you will see the factory blacks on the plastic already and a bit of liquid mask should keep everything covered during painting.

I am now also on the hunt for some leaf spring kits for the rear. I have been toying with making my own out of bad pull starters. But again. This is just a idea. (any suggestions are welcome)
I wish I had more to show in over three months since my last post but work comes before play.... or so they tell me.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM

So this week my friends I have been getting the floor pan done up. Normally I build on the side of go before show. Well... This time I am going the other way round. I am doing this to look as close to show room stock as I can including the interior. I want to run the carpet if I can. On to the photos.

OK so I want this to sit like a stock truck. And these wheels and tires give it a scale 17inch (16.89 to be honest but close enough) and the tires are a scale set of 33's (33.6 exactly for the Kumho super soft tires I will be going with.) I know this does not appear to have that much ground clearance and that is mostly because it does not. It sits about 1.4 inches off the ground. And with a axial axle it is 1.11 at its lowest point so far. And that is pretty much in line with the 8.5 inches of GC on the standard 4wd model.

On to the steering wheel. Nothing fancy And it works. But here are photos and a short video clip that is of poor quality.

Movie. Warning I sound like a spanner as I am properly sick at the moment.... Also sorry about the video quality.. Not sure what was up with the camera. But you get the point. (you have to click the image below to watch for some reason I can't embed it)

Now here is something I am properly proud of. I was looking for a place to keep the RX that I could get to it if need be but not seen by all. And 15 minuets and some heavy duty coat thread and here you have it.

See the glove box?

See the RX? Nifty... Yes?

So to add some extra scale awesomeness I thought I would add brake and gas pedal. At which point I decided that static pedals just would not do. So I hinged them on a t-maxx hinge pin and a rubber band and now I have working pedals. I am debating on making then move via servo..... Again debating.

So this is my update for now. Tomorrow is another day. Fun fun.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM

So some good news, I got a new 1:1 trail rig. 1998 Trooper. Sweet yes? Then came some bad news, Since both of my daily drivers seemed to show no love and died within a week of each other. Subaru, easy fix. Amigo... not so much. With this I am having to put this truck on hold for a bit. I hope that I will have time and funds to get started on it again. I am just determined to to this right so I would rather wait than half *** it.
Cheers all
~MJ