Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Member Number: 25805
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default The umpteenth Eztec Ford F-350 build

I received my second hand Ford F-350 yesterday. Unfortunately, the "normal" versions of the Eztec and Fastlane 350 are difficult to get so I had to settle for the Eztec lowrider. I'm definitely not a fan of lowriders nor of the related sound equipment. After having removed the original chassis I got rid of this stuff :

This left me with this body, I'm not happy with the bucket seats and nitro cylinder but I will decide what to do with these later :

After having assembled my usual make shift chassis I cut two slots into the front of the floorpan to accommodate the chassis frame :

The chassis fits like a glove and there is plenty of room for the centre gearbox since this Eztec Ford doesn't have a rear seat. Looks like this is going to be an easy build.

To be continued.

Arjan

Last edited by reinaart : 10-05-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:25 AM

This morning I discovered that this build may be more difficult than I had thought. For one thing the Eztec floorpan under the seats is flat, whereas the real thing appears to be bulging upwards resulting in a higher seating position. This is probably the reason why the Eztec bucket seats appear to be sitting so ridiculously low in relation to the steering wheel. I will try to address this issue and by doing so (raising a section of the floorpan) I also hope to get the front wheels higher up into the wheel arches.

Arjan
Old 10-09-2017, 10:57 AM

I have raised the floorpan by about 4mm. This means the chassis could be positioned slightly higher and it also means the seats are now sitting higher in relation to the steering wheel. I have pretty much finished the chassis apart from details such as the front drive shaft and adjustable links.

The body still needs some work, I plan to remove a 5mm strip from the bottom of the side panels and doors. It seems to me that these panels are a bit too high when compared to pics of the real things. The rear bumper will also require some work.

Arjan
Old 10-21-2017, 09:32 AM

A small update on my progress. I did some work on the floorpan and I constructed and installed the front driveshaft.

My next job is making a styrene rear bumper.

Arjan
Old 10-22-2017, 10:27 PM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Looking good and I agree about the body height, I plan to trim the bottom of mine also once I start that project up.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:25 PM

I trimmed off about 5 mm from the side panels and doors and I'm pretty pleased with the result. I think it has dramatically improved the truck's overall appearance. I will post some pics when I have finished my rear bumper.

This is the rear step bumper I have been trying to copy in styrene. The problem is that I don't have any measurements so it's pretty much a matter of interpreting the available photos :

Regards,

Arjan

Last edited by reinaart : 10-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:41 AM

In the mean time I've built a bumper from styrene and some bits of wood. It's not finished yet but here are some pics to show its present state :

I trimmed off some 5 mm from the side panels and doors but I think 7 mm would probably even be better.

Arjan
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 PM

Man that bumper looks great! Hard to tell on body height from pics but it doesnt look bad as is, maybe that 2mm more will be spot on.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:02 AM

Thanks for your kind words. I've just made a test run in the first snow of the season (snow was very soft and wet). I'm pretty pleased with its performance :

Regards,

Arjan

Last edited by reinaart : 12-10-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Looks good out and about. Are you pretty happy with the hg stuff so far?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Hi, the rc cars on a HG chassis I have completed so far :

- Landrover Defender 1/9
- Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 1/9
- Ford F-150 1/8
- Ford F-350 1/7
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 1/7
- Landrover LR3 1/7

Presently I have enough HG parts in stock to make another two full chassis.

From a technical point of view the only thing I don't like about the HG chassis is its steering characteristics (rather big turning radius). The problem is that the steering servo is mounted on the chassis frame rather than on the front axle and there is also quite a bit of play between the outer front axle bearings and the hex connectors (forgot the right term). The latter can be improved by inserting a washer.

The other problems I encountered are mostly due to the absence of quality control in the HG production chain. All axles/gear boxes have to be opened to remove redundant washers (some had shafts with two washers where there should have been one) and faulty parts. Sometimes the axles already have ball bearings and sometimes only bushes. Needless to say, grease has to be applied as well. At first the axles and gearbox had 4mm output shafts but now these are 5mm and the quality of the gears (cog wheels) has been improved as well.

I stopped buying the full chassis kits because there were always missing parts (once, the gearbox was even missing, another kit had a gear box with a bent shaft etc. etc.). Now I order all parts seperately to make sure I get what I paid for and besides, the chassis kit contains items I don't use anyway (eg the wheels and shocks).

The main advantage of the HG chassis is obviously that it is cheap but I also like the high/low gearing option. Admittedly I only use the gear box in its high gearing setting but should the need arise I can select low gearing for added torque. I also think the shape of the gear box and position of the spur gear makes it easier to mount in scale bodies.

Regards,

Arjan