Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

General R/C Banter If you have general question that does not fit in the other categories enter it here!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:23 PM
yes I can tow a house

Member Number: 12594
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

And I haven't noticed any steering loss in my Wheelyking with both axles locked... Maybe it just depends on the truck.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:58 AM
FlatBrokeCustomz

Member Number: 2317
B/S/T Feedback: (11)

YouTube full vids of it on the trails.
Traxxas sent display models to hobby shops.

Looks very promising and there is an scx10ii vs trx4 vid on the rocks.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 13004
B/S/T Feedback: (9)

Personally I don't think I like it. An at 475.00 I can have a real nice TF2. I'm more of a scale guy and as I look over it and I think what could I do with this rig, and The answer for me is not a whole lot. Bash it to hell like traxxas is intended to be used for?

Just seems like traxxas is stuck in 1/8th scale. Me personally I don't care for 1/8th scale much. I like the electronics even though its the same old **** traxxas always uses.

I dont know im just not all that impressed. Sorry. I think this will end up like the x01 and their drag car.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:06 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 477

I personally don't like 1/10th scale. True 1/10th scale bodies are virtually nonexistant. Your wheel choises are very limited. There are only a few axles you can use if you want to build anything that even remotely looks like a real vehicle.

Give me 1/8th scale any day. You can use both 1.9 (approx 15") or 2.2 (approx 17") wheels and not look like a mallcrawler. There are more axles to put under your vehicle than you can shake a stick at and not be extremely too wide. Want a stock looking 1/8th scale vehicle? Sure thing put some yota axles under it. Or even scx10 if you are building a full size truck. Want a scale looking extreme crawler? Build it on a set of wraith axles. Bodies? Vaterra Blazer is close so are the axial Dingo and Cherokee. Not to mention several newbright bodies.

BTW the tf2 is very close to true 1/9th scale...
Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 23185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
BTW the tf2 is very close to true 1/9th scale...
And the TF2 looks hideous on 2.2" mall crawler wheels. Even 1.9's look out of place on any tf2 build that isn't based on the "donk" style. You seem to be thinking of 1/5th scale, not 1/8th.

FYI a 15" wheel in 1/10th scale is not going to be 1.5". That is not how scaling something down works.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:08 PM

Member Number: 19748
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeTexan View Post
And the TF2 looks hideous on 2.2" mall crawler wheels. Even 1.9's look out of place on any tf2 build that isn't based on the "donk" style. You seem to be thinking of 1/5th scale, not 1/8th.

FYI a 15" wheel in 1/10th scale is not going to be 1.5". That is not how scaling something down works.
wait, it's not? if you divide 15" by 10, you get 1.5". maybe if it was 1.5' then it would be 1.8" when divided by ten.

my understanding was that 1/10 scale means the size scales down by a factor of ten, but the physics don't.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 23185

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
wait, it's not? if you divide 15" by 10, you get 1.5". maybe if it was 1.5' then it would be 1.8" when divided by ten.

my understanding was that 1/10 scale means the size scales down by a factor of ten, but the physics don't.
1/10 scale would be 1/10 of the total overall volume, not just 1/10 of the measurements. There is a formula for it, but my brain is far too fried right now to remember it. I've been fabbing sheet metal all day and the constant measuring and math have about shut me down. You could probably find it, or even a calculator online with a quick search.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:02 PM

Member Number: 19748
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Quote:
1/10 scale would be 1/10 of the total overall volume, not just 1/10 of the measurements. There is a formula for it, but my brain is far too fried right now to remember it. I've been fabbing sheet metal all day and the constant measuring and math have about shut me down. You could probably find it, or even a calculator online with a quick search.
If I understand correctly, I think you're confusing area or volume scale factor with linear scale factor. The volume scales down in the manner that you're referring to, but is irrelevant for calculating the vehicle size. Volume scale factor comes into play when dealing with the physics of weight and force in motion.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
LOL!

Better sleep on that tired brain of yours and read that again when it isn't in total shutdown.

If you want your model to have 1/10th of the total volume of the original then you have to divide all the original measurements by about 2.15. That's length width and height. I know I don't own a Hilux but I kind of doubt that the original had a wheelbase of 24 inches. That is what it comes down to if the TF2 is 1/10th of the volume of the real truck.

This is just so hilarious.

How about if you have a map in scale? How is there a volume in something that has only two dimensions? Is the scale different on the same map on flat ground and mountains?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:28 AM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Yep and again "scale" is a relative term, they can say a hilux and a f350 are 1/10 based on overall dimensions not true 1/10th scale of the 1:1's. hilux is like 1/9 and f350 is around 1/12 but since both are within their size guidlines they just call them 1/10. I also doubt if the width x length x height is all exactly correct on most of these. I agree that a larger scale can sometime be easier to build with given available parts but at same time does that really matter for a rtr truck like this? I'm sure bodies are/will be avail to fit it and you will be able to adjust WB with little work like any of the solid axle linked rc's. I dont see too big of a deal no matter what scale it is, it looks like it works good out of box and is a new option for people.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 AM
Rollin' in the winnie

Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

The "true scale" of Tamiya being 1:10 is like hotweels being 1:64 you can call I whatever you want, but a lifted f350 and a Mini Cooper shouldn't be the same size and they are.

Yeah. The traxxas axles being 8" wide ~10" overall with tires is a little disappointing. The old scale bodies still don't fit. But they're right in line with axial/vattera/gmade for width, and there are some companies stepping up the wide scale body efforts. Granted they're lexan, but it's a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 04:58 PM
FlatBrokeCustomz

Member Number: 2317
B/S/T Feedback: (11)

Maybe the short corse proline bronco body will fit the width.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 PM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

I was wondering about that or maybe even one of the proline Jk bodies, I had one of the 2 doors and they are fairly wide, traxxas lists the telluride at 11.06 and the proline jeep at 7.5 and I swear my tires were over half covered so the 9.8 trx-4 might be pretty easy to fit if can shorten Wb.

Heck true scale ram for slash is 11.75 wide on a 12.7 WB so it would cover even a wide set of tires and WB would line up good. Same for true scale chevy hd,tundra and raptor I would bet.

as for a hardbody I'm not really sure whats out there at that size but I would bet there are some bodies to fit.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Posts all the Time'r

New Bright made a Jeep JK 4 door that is big.

I believe the WB is close to 320mm. The body is so wide that an scx axle with Proline 1.9 titus beadlocks and pitbull rock beasts is almost covered. Only a few mm of tire is visible from above.

A friend of mine build one a long time ago.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Double post.

Got mine.