Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Rock Crawlers
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Rock Crawlers For those Rock crawling, stone sliding, body scratching, articulation crackheads; this place is for you!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 AM
I wish electronics and water could get along

Member Number: 3566
B/S/T Feedback: (5)
Default Duratrax Cliff Climber Rock Racer Style (11-8-09 Brazed up a Truggy Rear)

My little brother was looking at getting a CC because they are so cheap. I told him that if he got one I would so we placed our order last Tuesday. Not too long after placing the order I realized that I had messed up. I didn't realize that they ran on 2/3A batteries. We were planning on running our standard stick packs. After talking about it we decided these where budget builds and that we would make it work.

The CC's came in Friday. After a little looking and thinking I realized that the battery would fit on top of the body posts. Then, I figured out that you could lower the body post to mount farther down on the side of the chassis to get the weight lower and slam the body.

I was using 2 Venom 3000mah standard packs so the weight of the batteries pretty much fully compressed the shocks so I ended up with a droop set up. That's cool though. I like droop. I also switched the connectors to Dean's and lowered the electronics into the battery compartment. Then, I went to converse with the family while I decaled the body. Little bro was at work. He didn't get to play until the next morning.

All that was left was to add some weight to the tires. I put 3/4 ounce up front and 1/2 in the rear because that was all the weight I had with me. Saturday morning the little bro got home for work and we got to work on his. We lowered his electronics into the battery compartment, soldered on some standard plugs, and he decaled the body. His is running team orion 2400mah standard packs. He wanted a little higher clearance so he left the body posts mounted in the stock position and added 2 clips to each spring.

With both rigs running it was time for a little crawling.

I got home Sunday and did a little more tinkering. I didn't like the rear steering set up so I made my own. I also switched to Duratrax Piranha 2000mah batteries hoping they would be a little lighter.

Then I went out for some more crawling.

Overall I am impressed. For the $119 spent and the simple mods I made its a pretty capable little truck. Clod stall is a small problem but you kinda get used to it. The tires aren't that good in dirt but they do good on the rocks. With the way mine is set up the only times it has rolled were due to driver error. I know there are better rigs out there but for the money these things are a blast.

Last edited by nascarkeith3 : 11-09-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 7488
B/S/T Feedback: (9)

those look pretty fun. what is the wheelbase for those? are those 1.9 wheels?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelinjp View Post
those look pretty fun. what is the wheelbase for those? are those 1.9 wheels?
2.0 wheels. Stock is 9 inches mine is about 10 with the droop.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
lead, follow, or get the hell outa the way!

Member Number: 6805
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

nice truck, looks like you and your little bro had fun!

BTW, are you on the traxxas forums?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 1360

I like mine. I got the roller, so I needed my own radio gear and battery; I rewired a Futaba MC230 ESC and made my own battery pack out of 6 Energizer NiMH AA's, the silver kind you can get at any store. I'm not sure how well it runs compared to a stock truck with dual batteries; I'm assuming the each motor gets 7.2 volts with the stock ESC.

I STILL need to put decals on the body LOL

I have also;
- Used Associated turnbuckles to shorten the upper links and decrease that crazy caster. Much easier on the servos and handles better.
- Moved the shocks to one of the inner holes; lowers the truck, makes the shocks softer, and gives some droop.
- Removed the plastic spacers from where the upper links meet the gearcase, so the link doesn't rub the motor tab anymore.
- Shaved the lip off the front gearcase so the steering throw is increased, but I've seen guys use Axial offset rod-ends.

I like the truck, great buy for $60, I hope I get to run it more soon.

I like your brother's paint scheme; is that a stock color?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Slashpede, I may have registered over there a long time ago but I don't post anymore. Me and the little bro had a blast.

SteveK, that is a nice rig. I have read through your thread on the other forum. That is a nice paint job. I would like to get a clear body and paint it sometime. I actually really like the stock bodies. I would just like to paint one with my own design. The little bro's is the stock red/silver body.

Thanks for the comments. Now for the

I had some time to tinker Sunday so I clocked the axles. I took the stock links and cut them in half. Then, I drilled a 4/32 hole in the ends. After that, I used 6/32 threaded rod to extend them.

Finally, I slid some aluminum tube over them and reinstalled the extended links on the rig.

The new links are nice and strong thanks in large part to the aluminum sleeve. They also look really nice like an upgrade part.

I also added a little spacer between the two steering rods on the front to try to get the link coming from the servo more level to get more steering strength.

With the addition of some new mods it was time to go for a test run and shoot some video.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Member Number: 7354

Nice rigs. I agree, for the price these are some great little crawlers and have a lot of potential. I do more trail running with mine than actual rock crawling, and it has proven to be a very fun truck for that, especially considering it can be had for less $ than many toy store trucks.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM

I have had a blast with my CC and have been thinking about getting another body for it that I could paint myself. I have had an idea in my head that I wanted to try out for about a week now. I did some pretty hardcore crawling/bashing the other day and got a lot of rock rash on the stock body so they persuaded me to get to looking for a replacement. I actually really like the look of the stock body so that's what I started looking for. I lucked up and got one on ebay shipped for $12.94.

With the new body on the way I decided to put my idea on paper. I usually do that before painting a body because it is cheaper to decide you don't like something on paper than it is on lexan. Here is what my idea looks like on paper.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 1360

That's sweet, definitely do it like that. I used to do the 'checkered flag' livery on bodies for NASCAR computer games. Always with red too lol
Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Member Number: 7354

That will look very cool. It gets my vote too.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Confused Newb! ! !

Member Number: 7751

I've thought about getting a CC or MRC. Would be my first crawler so I'm still debating. I think that I'm leaning more towards the MRC. Any input?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Member Number: 7637

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith3 View Post
I have had a blast with my CC and have been thinking about getting another body for it that I could paint myself. I have had an idea in my head that I wanted to try out for about a week now. I did some pretty hardcore crawling/bashing the other day and got a lot of rock rash on the stock body so they persuaded me to get to looking for a replacement. I actually really like the look of the stock body so that's what I started looking for. I lucked up and got one on ebay shipped for $12.94.

With the new body on the way I decided to put my idea on paper. I usually do that before painting a body because it is cheaper to decide you don't like something on paper than it is on lexan. Here is what my idea looks like on paper.
nice looking paint scheme i like it
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed n wv View Post
I've thought about getting a CC or MRC. Would be my first crawler so I'm still debating. I think that I'm leaning more towards the MRC. Any input?

I've have know experience with the MRC but from what I have read and seen on forums it is a better set up. For the price you can't beat a Cliff Climber though. I guess its kinda a get what you pay for deal. I am really happy with my CC. Another question to consider is do you want shafty or moa. The MRC has a drive shaft and the CC has the motors on the axles. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 AM

The spacer I added to the front steering created the problem the stock set up has in the rear. The steering had too much wiggle or slop. I tried a bent link set up but it didn't help much either. Eventually I found a longer servo horn that I had in the tool box so I put that on without a servo saver. That seemed to help. I also put some o-rings in the cups to fix the dogbone slop. It had gotten to where I only had 3 wheel drive if I got in a bind but the o-rings fixed that.

The new body came in yesterday so I got to work on it. Someone had mentioned to me using HPI Bronco decals for the grill but when I looked at the body it had panel lines in it for a Bronco'ish grill. I guess they must have ran into licensing issues or something so they made the decals different. I decided to do a little cutting on the stock decals and paint my own Bronco'ish grill. This is what I've got done on the paint so far.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 883

That looks much better than the Chevy LUV looking grill DTX gives us.