Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter > Scale 4x4 R/C Competitions and Gatherings
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x4 R/C Competitions and Gatherings Official Competitions and get togethers

Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 PM
midlifer

Member Number: 4424
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerbuddy2 View Post
Im not too experienced with scale comps, but if your trying to do it all in one day, would it make sense to let the rigs that may take the longest go first? Just throwing out an idea. But my other thought on that would be that the course will most likly be set up in a way to test each class to its breaking point, wich then would make my first question null and void. I personaly dont have a preference.

Also, will there be a time limit per course? I know some of our 2.2 comp courses had time outs, but that was a strange day with an extremely long for comp course. Also we have used point outs before, hit a set number of points, point out for that gate and basicaly jump to the next gate. Just something that may help things move along if your wanting to go that route.
Thanks for your input truckerbuddy2. You bring up an interesting point about "pointing out" for a gate. I assume this is in the case where a driver/rig simply cannot proceed or is struggling a lot. What we have discussed and are planning to do is have a +10 "touch advance" penalty in a case where a driver/rig simply cannot make it past a specific spot. What we've seen firsthand that the comp crawler guys do in this situation is that if you can't make it past a certain spot, you're done. This scale event will not be like that. After discussing this scenario, we didn't want someone travelling hours, maybe from out of state, and then have their run over just because they got stuck at Gate #4 for example. That is zero fun, and although this is a comp, we do not want to be that strict. This +10 "touch advance" penalty is stiffer than a normal +5 touch penalty, but allows for the driver to continue his run in the event that he/she gets completely stuck. But I also like your "point out" idea. I will run this by the other guys and we'll see which system we implement.

We are trying to adhere to the scale comp rules adopted here on this website, but any little extra thing we come up with like this will be announced at the drivers meeting on comp day morning.

To answer your question on the time limit, no we do not plan to have a time limit. We will have a winch limit though, likely 3 winches (without penalty) per course. This should address one of the main issues that can drag out the length of time it takes to run a course.

"I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I wish electronics and water could get along

Member Number: 3566
B/S/T Feedback: (5)

I like the +10 point touch for moving past an impassible gate. Maybe set a point limit that when reached automatically incurs the +10 and moves you on to the next gate. I agree that someones run should not end on gate 4 just because they can't get past it. Penalize them some points but let them have the fun of finishing. So basically I typed all that to simply say, "I agree with ya Heath."
Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Home of the XC Retirement Community

Member Number: 881
B/S/T Feedback: (20)

I like the letting them finish, i know id want to drivin all that way out there. lol.

I think that depending on what it looks like, ie, people wise and challenging courses, maybe a gate point out aint too bad a problem, lets them start from the next gate, continuing in the course, but not hung up for too long at any one spot. Plus the +10 i like, i think that alone will help thoes of us, like me, with no winches.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 2725
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Not too uppity uppity on the scale comps, either. On the winch outs, do you have to find a winch point or can you, say, hook it to your belt loop.....sometimes you cannot find a good winch point. I also assume the courses are timed for tie breakers only, since there isn't a time out limit.

So 2 courses (A & B) for 1.9 and 2.2 and 1 course for XC, 5 courses? Or is it where you can choose which course to run...A or B?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
midlifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Not too uppity uppity on the scale comps, either. On the winch outs, do you have to find a winch point or can you, say, hook it to your belt loop.....sometimes you cannot find a good winch point. I also assume the courses are timed for tie breakers only, since there isn't a time out limit.

So 2 courses (A & B) for 1.9 and 2.2 and 1 course for XC, 5 courses? Or is it where you can choose which course to run...A or B?
Anchors for winching can be anything. For example it would be normal to have a buddy hold the line with his shoe or finger against the rocks. Pretty much has to be like this because there are few trees among the bare rock.

As mentioned previously, we do not plan to time the runs. In the event of a tie for first place, we would probably have a tiebreaker course, say 5 gates for example. Considering scale points as well as the length of multiple courses, maybe we won't run into a tie for 1st place, but if we doe we can sort it out with the tiebreaker course.

Another reason we opted not to time the runs is to encourage "scale" driving style. We don't want people to feel like they're "rock racing". Anyone who has a faster driving style can still blaze their way through the course(s) if they wish, they just won't be rewarded for it.

On your last question, yes, 2 courses each (A & B) for 1.9 and 2.2 and one course for XC/CC01, totalling 5 courses. (Both A & B courses are required for 1.9 and 2.2). For your final score we will add all the points penalties (all positive (+) numbers) of both courses, then subtract your scale points (negative (-) numbers).

For 1.9 and 2.2, one course will be mainly scale rock crawling, and the other course will have a little more "trail" element. The single XC/CC01 course will be a mixture of both.

Hope this addressed your questions.

Heath

Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Member Number: 3155
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieScaler View Post
If we have a big crowd, meaning if almost everyone that's signed up now shows, then we may have to run all classes concurrently. That's what we're preparing for, assuming we can draft a few volunteers who are comfortable scoring.

We have planned to run long courses, about 20 gates per course. That means 1.9 and 2.2 will have a total of about 40 gates each, because each will have an "A" and "B" course. CC01 Special Class will only have one course, but it will be 22 gates minimum.

Ideally, we'd prefer to run one class at a time. I think we will really strive to do one at a time, that way more people will have a chance to watch other people's runs and take pics, etc. We're just gonna have to see how many folks turn out.

If we don't run more than one class at a time, we have not discussed which class will go first or last.

Roughly, we are looking at signups beginning pretty early, like 7:30 or 8:00 am, with competition runs starting around 9:30 or so. This isn't set in stone yet, and I plan to make another update next week with more solid times.

If we do run one at a time, does anyone have any preference to which class is run first, last?
Thanks for the detailed reply DixieScaler

I have never attended a Scale event but I have attended and ran a few 2.2 Comps.

If you run the classes separately I would recommend running your largest class first. Once it is moving along you can get another class going if needed.

Time limits are a very touchy subject with some people. We have ran 10 gates and 8 minute time limits and found that it is more than enough time.

Say 30 drivers show up for 1.9 and you run 20 gates and 16 minute limits, thats 8hrs to run the 1.9 class. A 20 minute limit would take 10 hrs to run if the same 30 drivers show up. That also does not factor the judges time to calculate the drivers score and re-set the course after each run.

Not telling you what to do, only giving ideas. I'm sure you guys will run an awesome Scale event.

At least we have plenty of daylight.

I do have a question about winching? I don't have one at the moment, I have substituted massive mind blowing HP in place of my winch. So can we use the buddy system and have a friend winch us out?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 3488
B/S/T Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply DixieScaler

Say 30 drivers show up for 1.9 and you run 20 gates and 16 minute limits, thats 8hrs to run the 1.9 class. A 20 minute limit would take 10 hrs to run if the same 30 drivers show up. That also does not factor the judges time to calculate the drivers score and re-set the course after each run.

I do have a question about winching? I don't have one at the moment, I have substituted massive mind blowing HP in place of my winch. So can we use the buddy system and have a friend winch us out?

Ryan,
You bring up a good point. Running out of daylight was one of my main concerns but we are planning on starting the next driver when the driver ahead of them is about 1/2 way through the course so running 2 drivers at a time should cut this time down considerably. Also, as Heath mentioned earlier we are preparing to run different classes concurrently if needed.

Not sure about using the buddy system but I will get with Heath about that.

Brandon

Last edited by Brandon81 : 07-16-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Don Jugglioni: Master of the domain!

Member Number: 3
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

The scale rules allow some flexibility, if necessary a time limit can be added.
Proud member of MtTABRA (More than Three Axles Big Rig Association)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Scale Noob

Member Number: 1039

What is the possibility of water crossings on the courses? I have ran at Rock City a few times with the comp crawler but have never ventured too far from the parking lot.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Member Number: 7339

Add BTF,from bama
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
midlifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post

Hey Ryan. We do not have any "buddy" type events planned for Saturday, comp Day events. So having someone assisting you with their winch won't be allowed. Sorry. But we are planning a few special events on Day 2, Sunday, and some "buddy" type events would be fun to try then.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
midlifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
What is the possibility of water crossings on the courses? I have ran at Rock City a few times with the comp crawler but have never ventured too far from the parking lot.
We haven't ventured too far from the parking lot either lol The area where this event will be is right next to the parking area. We will be immediately to the right of where the parking area dead ends, on the opposite side of the parking from the cliffs. It's such a great place to run the scalers that we haven't gotten tired of it yet.

To answer your question regarding water crossings, there will be some water/mud crossings in the courses, but they will not be much over axle deep, if that. So a waterproof rig won't be necessary to compete. I could see some water splashing up close to an axle mounted steering servo, but we're gonna try to keep it from being too deep.

Now with that said, we're planning on trucking in some extra water for some mud boggin' for those who like such things. But keep in mind any deep mud bogs will not be in the competition courses and will be purely optional for fun.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 2981
B/S/T Feedback: (9)

hey i don't get a chance to post on here very offten. got in to work early to see how things are coming in here. i stay in close communication with heath (dixiescaler). looks like it's going to be a great event!!! we want every one to enjoy there self. my scrambler is almost done.

we are going to be running all courses at one time. and 2 on the course at the same time. we'll see how it goes. might change it some as needed. the way i have it planned it should go very smooth. (i hope) this way we want run out of daylight.

me and heath will post a schedule of events here in a day or two.

i'm staying at the leesburg lodge. it's right at the bottom of the mountain.

i going to ask heath but maybe a meet and greet friday night.

i'm looking foward to meeting every body.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Scale Noob

Member Number: 1039

I will do my best to make it out there. Not sure which days yet, I still gotta get my truck driveable.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:03 PM

Member Number: 3155

Thread is dead considering we have less than 1 week before the event.

I just ordered some 1.9 roklox from TCS for my SCX-10. They should arrive Wed or Thurs.

So what is everyone running at the event? Post up your trucks.

This is my SCX-10 in the front with the Bushwacker body.

I will update pics once the new tires show up.