Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter > Scale 4x4 R/C Competitions and Gatherings
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x4 R/C Competitions and Gatherings Official Competitions and get togethers

Old 02-20-2010, 11:27 PM
midlifer

Member Number: 4424
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Glad to see the interest starting to crank back up!

Almost exactly one year ago, we announced the 2009 event, which was in July. We have generally been thinking for 2010 we would target the fall, for some cooler weather, though we haven't finalized any particular date.

But, I guess now is as good of a time as any to start discussing and getting some feedback.

Let's say among the months of August, September, and October, does anyone have a preference on those months?

"I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Mr. Tire Guy

Member Number: 3012
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

I have a question about scale tires. This is just hypothetical as I doubt I will make the event given funds and time but in this passage:
Quote:
-Only OEM 1.9 tires will be allowed (no cut&shut/reduced 2.2 tires are permitted for this special class)

edit Note (6-10-09): This note is for clarification on tires allowed for the Special XC/CC01 class- There was a question about whether the stock Tamiya BFG's were the only tire permitted. Any manufacturer's 1.9 tire is allowed. So, if you want to run any of RC4WD's 1.9 tires like Mud Slingers or Rock Crushers, that's fine. Proline's 1.9 Flat Irons are also permitted. The rule on tires was only established to exclude cut & shut/reduced 2.2 tires for this special class.
Does this then not allow the kind of tires I've made, which are not 2.2 tires but start out as 1.9 tires? I remember reading a similar rule with Montana Scale Nats and thinking I dont have a rig I could run there, lol.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:10 AM
midlifer

The way I understand it, and what we enforced last year, was if you modify (as in cut/shut and/or hybrid) a tire, then it cannot exceed 4.25" O.D.

Any 1.9 manufactured tire is allowed, even if it exceeds 4.25", such as RC4WD 1.9 Rox Lox. (I think in the rules on this site, the term "OEM" is meant to refer to a manufactured RC tire)

This is an excerpt from the "current reworked rules" on this site:

Quote:
> Wheels & Tires: Wheels are restricted to OEM 1.9” size. If the tires are cut down 2.2’s, they must fit onto a standard 1.9” rim and not exceed 4.25” in height and 1.75” in width. Flywheels brand wheels and tires and 1/18-scale Nylint brand wheels and tires will be allowed. 2.0's wheels are allowed as long as the tire attached is either a stock 1.9 tire or cut & shut tire that falls into the restrictions.
Of course I had no part in coming up with the rules here, but this is how I understand them to be, in part due to an explanation by Sloppy, who I do think had a hand in writing the rules.

I know you're probably thinking "if Rox Lox are taller than 4.25" and they are allowed, why not a modified tire?". I don't know how to answer that. I do think the original rule was made to do something about the "cheater" tires (cut & shut 2.2 tires) that started showing up at early scale comps.

And since at our scale comp we were trying to adhere to the current rules without deviating too much, we went with that.

Hope this sheds some light for you.

edit: this post is directed toward a standard 1.9 scale comp class, not necessarily any special class such as the CC01/XC class.

Heath

Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Mr. Tire Guy

that rule clarification makes sense-if modified, a tire cannot be taller than 4.25". I assume one can run a wheel smaller than 1.9, while still adhering to the rules as I understand them, ie a 1.5 wheel can run a modified 1.9 tire or modified 2.2 tire but must be smaller than 4.25".

Do I have that right?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:23 AM
midlifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
that rule clarification makes sense-if modified, a tire cannot be taller than 4.25". I assume one can run a wheel smaller than 1.9, while still adhering to the rules as I understand them, ie a 1.5 wheel can run a modified 1.9 tire or modified 2.2 tire but must be smaller than 4.25".

Do I have that right?
Yes, that sounds right and I can't imagine any issues with running a smaller dia rim, such as 1.5, as long as they also do not exceed the same O.D. limit as the 1.9's.

I edited some things in my previous post you may have missed since you replied so soon afterwards. Specifically I wanted to point out something about me using the term "modified". I think we're clear that if you cut & shut and/or make a hybrid tire, then it cannot exceed 4.25" O.D. However, let's say someone removed every other lug on a Rox Lox, or did some siping of the tires- then that would technically be "modifying" it, but since the tire wasn't resized from original form, I still think it would qualify. Does that make sense? It's late, my brain is tired, and my eye are burning lol.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Mr. Tire Guy

Totally makes sense. Modifying a tire in this sense is directed at resizing the tire or grafting two tire types together.

Cool.
does that rule interpretation change with the cc01/xc class?

God I'd love to go to one of these...
Old 02-21-2010, 02:04 AM
midlifer

Quote:
does that rule interpretation change with the cc01/xc class?
We'll probably take a look at that, but I'm thinking it may be a good idea to just drop any special restrictions on the CC01/XC class with regards to tires, and let this class just fall under current 1.9 scale class tire rules.

We came up with the "no modified/cut & shut" tire rule for the CC01/XC class to keep out any comp/hybrid/weird tires. But I don't think we're likely to see that in this class. And in your case, when you modify tires, you're actually making them more scale, so we don't want to prohibit those types of tires.

And some good news is that we are gonna bring back the CC01/XC class for 2010.

We've been discussing the classes, and it's likely that we'll drop the 2.2 scale class altogether, as comp day participants in that class were lowest in number.

Also, it's probable that we'll split 1.9 scale into two categories. We were discussing this and a few days later I looked on RCC about the upcoming MSD scale Nats and it looks like they're doing it also. I think they've been planning longer and had the idea first, but it's was cool to see that we had (later) arrived at the same conclusion. Our class restrictions in the two 1.9 categories will be defined differently though, but basically for the same reason- to separate the ultra hardcore & aggressive looking 1.9 scalers (Honchos, dovetailed, etc.) from the milder, more "Weekend Warrior" and stock looking rigs.

So, we still plan to have three classes, just adapting to the current trends we're seeing now.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:24 AM
Mr. Tire Guy

And this will be in the same place in Alabama? Where's video from last year?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:31 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 3488
B/S/T Feedback: (5)

Quote:
And this will be in the same place in Alabama? Where's video from last year?
I just found some on page 21 of this thread.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Mr. Tire Guy

thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Home of the XC Retirement Community

Member Number: 881
B/S/T Feedback: (20)

New classes.. Interesting. Will wait to see how yall go about deciding whats harcore, and whats daily driver material.

Too bad about the 2.2 class, but its all good i guess, i still havnt started on my 2.2 scaler.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 AM
KING OF ALL

Member Number: 1439
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

I couldnt attend this last year, But I WILL be at this years one for sure. My JK is itching for a real scale competition.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM
midlifer

and Jugg2Driver's part one video is on page 23, and his Part 2 and my video is on page 25.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Admin - Founder of Minions for LCS (are you with me or against me?)

Member Number: 19
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

When JIA, Matt and myself started hammering out the first set of rules for our comps it was a quick and ruff draft. We are still fine tuning them. That being said the rules are not set in a stone tablet. They were basic guidelines to insure a "spirit of competition" and keep people from bringing in comp tires to pass off as scalers tires. People have to remember when the rules were originally laid down the available 1.9's were BFG's, Hummers, and Highlift tires. The 1.9 Mudslinger hadnt even made it to the rocks yet. We never turned anyone away though, but like I said it was for the "spirit of competition".

"Yeah, I would give myself plenty of work...but me paying myself isnt a good thing. I would hate to give me a line of credit on any work I or me may be doing for myself ..... wait I'm confusing myself."

1st Place in 2010 Scale Summer Comp in 1.9 WW and CCO1 classes.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Home of the XC Retirement Community

Member Number: 881
B/S/T Feedback: (20)

Any idea on a date for this years comp? Not trying to rush, or sound annoying, just trying to figure out what i need to do to take the time to make it. Working on new rigs for this years comp, i will be more prepared this year than last. Waiting anxiously.