Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default Excavator

Great video Joe. I see the Idea for the sprocket is working for you. The larger tooth for scarfing does it work better? I f you put 2 teeth on it will it have enough power for them? I finally got the tracks on my excavator and metal lines up over the stick. I am going to Cabin Fever in York Pa and see if I can blow it up again. Last time I blew the pressure hose that goes to the regulator and a cylinder so I shell see. Ed
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 PM
JOE

Member Number: 1683
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Yes indeed! the tracks are working fabulous Ed, it's like a new model. Although a couple nights ago the left track stopped working & that sucked! Tried to work without it, but it wouldn't stay planted. I found three set screws I forgot to locktite!

4yrs ago I cracked my pelvis, a hairline crack 1 inch left of center and I was feeling it again while hauling that monster up/down the stairwell! Nutts over brains, got get 'er done & get back at 'er.

I noticed last night that a bit of oil starting to pool on the stick cyl, changing seals will be simple with these cyls!

Keep your pressure under 25bar Ed (providing you have a guage) and you shouldn't have any more problems. I envision how much more power I'd have with a 22 or possibly 24mm stick cyl to push the ripper, but it can be seen in the vids how the tracks are just barely holding their ground as it is.

Cheers for the compliments fellows, always appreciated!

The 3rd tooth didn't have quite the right point on it & was less effective than the 2nd tooth. DING DING new idea... use a 3" ardox nail for a replaceable point. It's cutting hard ground really well now! Carved down another 3" last night with two charged 4s 5amp lipos

And while using it, it dawned on me that I should fashion up a tube to tack to the tooth for a quick change after every batt change to keep a sharp point.

Last edited by Lil Giants : 11-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 PM
JOE

I stripped away about a foot so far. The deeper I got, the harder the soil got, getting to be like granite!

It rained last night.
Water is the best remedy to soften clay... although muddy clay can be a problem too with sticking to everything, and binding shyt up!

Using a wood bit to drill holes, keep full of water & continue drilling down to the length of the bit, some holes are only an inch deep at the start, for the next couple days. By the time I get the pile below cleaned up in a wk's time, the soil in the wall might be at the correct ... what's the right word? consistency - texture -? for easy digging without clogging up the hoe with mud.

This pic looks like some of my cropland that's next to tame & native grass, freaking badgers dig enormous holes!

Screening the fines so it's just the lumps being hauled to the crusher.

The file size for the 1st vid was about 140mb, the 2nd was 550mb. Do you any difference in the resolution quality? I don't.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 13252
Default Rock Drill

Lil Giants,
looks like you need to build a r\c rock drill so you can drill the earth. Ever considered a rock hammer for the excavator, now there is a thought, lol.

Trackerman
Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 AM
JOE

Trackerman, a rock drill could be in the works, FGD pitched the idea to me last wk & wanted the challenge to make it. I've been messing around on/off for a few yrs now to build a jack hammer... I got the hammer part made up, finding the right sized motor is the hang up, every one I try is too fast & too weak!

Just about got the last of the loose stuff cleaned up off the floor & will be back mining down the wall again today/tomorrow.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Great vids Joe, I made the mistake of chasing down builds on the other forum. I need another forum like Kennedy needed a parade.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
JOE

I hear ya Bulldog, I find it real easy to burn up 5-6hr evening reading forums... it gets especially time consuming translating some the european forums to see what's new in the world of this wonderful hobby.

Last task before going back on the wall.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/marhund

Member Number: 9547

Realy nice and smooth digg'in there Joe !
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 PM
JOE

Thanx Martin, I wish I could say the same about this HK hoe.

I ran the HK last nite for an hour, the 1st time in a couple of months, and it really sucks in fluent movement compared to the 850.

I tried when I 1st got it last July to make the ch mix work via radio menu & couldn't get nothing. Last nite I was gonna try to adjust some of the valves EPA's similar to how I programmed the 850, and couldn't even get into the menu settings. And playtime for the HK hoe ended when the lights flickered & then the pump rpm slowed right down... I tried it today & the pump speed is still slow, like the esc might be junk?! Crap crap crap!

When I get my DX8 rx replacement from lhs, I'll try that Spektrum radio to improve the model's performanace... if it's possible?

Also, when I parked the HK last nite, I noticed alot of oil sitting atop the boom cyls, could the seals be toast already?!

Idk? this is a pretty crappy model compared to the german ones... or atleast mine is. I like this model’s range of motion & reach, but the radio & hyd system is garbage! I might have to change it all before I get it working as smoothly as I want it to, fluent like the 850.

Here's a video with the HK 1st, then the Stahl.

After using the 850 virtually everyday for the last month, these two smaller hoes are kinda slow & unresponsive in comparison.

The 850's u/c is on the workbench right now, I'm having trouble with the slip ring, lost power to one track. This has happened before, one set of contacts gets a black residue on it & electricity no longer flows. I simply cleaned it with a Q-tip and it worked fine.

I don't know what's causing this. Gonna try some dielectric grease.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM
JOE

Here's some snaps of the black soot build up on the contacts.

Anyways, smeared on some grease, put it back together & back at 'er.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

way to much fun! That Hoe makes the volvo look small...
Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Agree with you there Joe.. The german once are smother and better builds.. Its too bad they dont see the value this hoe would have with just a litle more works on it.. The price is finaly what most people can afford...

But fear not...
I'm working on a replacement kit for the hydraulics... A friend of mine is making new valves that are more precise and without the constand leak...
We are also checking out possible replacement cylinders as this ones seems to leak when you push them too mutch..

I Tryed to drive it with FPV goggles.. THAT was fun!!! I need some improvment to my system to make vids from it.. but it will come..

Here the last vid from our meet... As you can see. the 4200 is climbing like a goat even with only one belt

Last edited by Rc_entreprenoren : 12-18-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
JOE

Indeed it does Rick, I need a bigger dump trk or a driver as four scoops doesn't give me much run time.

Interesting video Martin. I've never heard of FPV goggles before, is it a wide panoramic view to always see the bucket at it's highest & lowest points of travel?

You must have a rock or dirt packed into your failing track. I've had this happen a few times and I have to take track apart to get it clean.

Have you ever tried to get the mix to work on your radio for the hyds?

I see your bucket curl is as slow as mine.

Your lowbed trl with the cheater steering, does it still steer well with weight on it? Is that a lowbed of your own making?

I got some goodies coming from Frank for a new model in the new year, I'm gonna try the tri valve that is used in my 850 in this HK. Got another guy tooling me up a mount to run a 2.8:1 belt drive for the motor/pump and maybe the pump will be smoother running at a higher speed, not drawing such high amps from working too hard. Gonna change the pressure relief valve too with one of much finer resolution... we'll what happens.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Hello Joe does the dielectric grease help with the soot on the electric's? I finally got my excavator back together, I am going to Cabin Fever next month with it. Ed
Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Interesting video Martin. I've never heard of FPV goggles before, is it a wide panoramic view to always see the bucket at it's highest & lowest points of travel?

You must have a rock or dirt packed into your failing track. I've had this happen a few times and I have to take track apart to get it clean.

Have you ever tried to get the mix to work on your radio for the hyds?

I see your bucket curl is as slow as mine.

Your lowbed trl with the cheater steering, does it still steer well with weight on it? Is that a lowbed of your own making?

I got some goodies coming from Frank for a new model in the new year, I'm gonna try the tri valve that is used in my 850 in this HK. Got another guy tooling me up a mount to run a 2.8:1 belt drive for the motor/pump and maybe the pump will be smoother running at a higher speed, not drawing such high amps from working too hard. Gonna change the pressure relief valve too with one of much finer resolution... we'll what happens.
The FPV is highly recomendable..
I bought mine at hobbyking.com. Type; Fatshark. But I recon that now i would buy GoPro cam as I see they deliver mutch better quality on the vids.. But they are bigger and more difficult to place inside.. The Fatshark comes finished with servomount and everything
It is not wide view right now. but there is 2 options. 1 to buy a wide lense that will probably give you the disired angles. 2. like I'm going to... Buy the headtracker unit. A 3-way gyro and accelerometer, that transpond your head movment to the camera This way you can turn your head to the sides and up and down to see whatever you want.. Just like 1:1. Right now I have the camerasetup, but i need to control the movments by a second controler, and this makes me have to few hands ...

When i comes to the belts I agree. And checked it out but I'm afraid some of the geardrives is blown... having it down for a service as soon as i get my replacement hydr.valveblock

Oyes.. Ive tryed several times to figure out the radios mix functions. But the radio is crap.... But as it have a uniq beltcontrollunit I do not wish to replace it I think it is possible to get much smoother movments by rebuilding the hydr.block with valves that are shaped as drops rather than round holes... I also like to rebuild the pump to belt drive as I agree that it probably will improve the engine to run at 80-90% rather than 20%. Secondary running at this low pace only lead the ESC to burn a lot of heat to deliver the low voltage the engine then needs... What a waste... it hot enough already

The buckets slow curvmovments is boring, but due to wrong hydr. building... It will improve by getting a new block... I hope

Looking forward to see your improvments on the hoe as well

The trailer is basicly from Joe in the US.. But with new steering axels and some other improvments... As I use a 35kg metal gear servo it also steers with the 4200 on topp.. but then quite slow
I also like to change the conection of the swan as this is way to difficult and that I want it operated from the radio