Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.55's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.55's Scale trucks that use 1.55" fitting tires and similar. Approx 1/10th scalers with wheels smaller than 1.9".

Old 05-27-2018, 03:24 PM
Late hour builder

Member Number: 23186
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
You have my attention! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for bed options. You're going to love driving it without the land anchor, it's really just so much better.
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the first ride without anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duellym View Post
wow you've beat me to it, i epoxied my full cab back in a few weeks ago... i'm procrastinating on mounting the bed though.
hehe, it sounds like you still beat me with the actual building

Well, not much of an update. I got the printed bed supports, but I'm kinda stuck trying out different ways for mounting the shifting servo and tank before I fix the rest.

And: upon closer inspection of the bed I'm starting to realize that making the tailgate open is going to be a little less straightforward than I had imagined .. as the bed floor is not at the same level. So to really make it right I should drop the bed floor lower, for which I'm not sure I have the styrene skills.

Pics next time. To be continued ..
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Late hour builder

pic update to the last update ..

bed support:

tight fit under the hood:

then, regarding opening the tailgate, two things I found:

scale latches

and a reference foto

what remains is the dilemma regarding lowering the bed floor. there's enough room to lower it about 7mm (abobut 1/4") .. but even if I somehow managed, would the bed become too fragile?
No point really in opening the tailgate if the bed becomes too fragile to carry real loads ..

Last edited by cyborg : 01-14-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:44 AM
Late hour builder

As an alternative to the ugly long rod for the shifting servo I made a box to hold a mini servo under the battery plate .. and kind of look like a tank/container.
Now this raises the philosophical question .. what is worse realism-wise? a long rod out of the normal tank, or the hidden servo? the real truck of course has neither, and it would be nice to somehow fit the mini servo under the hood.

I think I prefer the hidden servo solution and will leave it like that for the moment.

anyway, enough words.
the parts are drawn in tinkercad and printed on a friend's printer.

the raised part next to the servo horn is supposed to act as a sort of slider to protect it

the part of the box that is visible gets a cover to make it look better

what it would look like (before drilling mounting holes in the battery plate:

and it actually works

the mini servo's spec says 4.5Kg, which seems to be enough to shift gears. I'm slightly worried about that flimsy servo horn though ..
ah, and note how useful that recess in the chassis rail is!
maybe I'll attach a second slider to the chassis there.

thanks for watching!

Last edited by cyborg : 01-14-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Do a burnout!

Member Number: 22160

looking good! I know pardonmyn00b used to sell full drop bed kits over on scale builder guild, you'd have to notch it for the stock shock mounts and remove the receiver box? fuel cell though i think.. also your bed mount would be pointless then too.. but you could make the tailgate function then.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Late hour builder

Happy new year everybody!

I finally managed to work on the bed project. I ditched the first bed support and made something more realistic. Transversal beams under the bed will attach to the new supports, like on the real truck:

Time to fix the cab. The back wall needs a bit of bending for a better fit ...

I'll give that glue enough tome to cure ..

... before the paint job ..

this is what the bed now looks like underneath:

and this is what the cab looks like now. all electronics are under the hood and the battery is under the bench.

looks like someone was too lazy to remove that rust before putting on the new coat of red

A lot of scratches needed to be touched up with rust .. and I got the itch to add one or two subtle dents to the body to make it kind of match its looks. I've tried as good as I could to make it look like dented metal ...

So that was a lot of work to make the truck look .. like before
Now that all is working again I can start on those alternative bed projects.

thanks for looking ..

Last edited by cyborg : 01-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 AM
Late hour builder

Took the truck out for a winter drive. Chains on all four wheels do help .. but once they fill up with snow .. oh well. Was still fun

I noticed it climbs a lot better if I reverse up a slope, so I guess I'd have to load some weight in the bed .. but before I can do that, the rear end needs stiffer springs. As I already have both helper leafs mounted, I cut a pair of main leafs to stiffen the original ones:

Making the helpers flatter than the main leaf should make the spring sort of progressive ...

I'll see if this works ...

Last edited by cyborg : 01-14-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Late hour builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
You're going to love driving it without the land anchor, it's really just so much better.
DougJ you were absolutely right. It's so much better. It now manages to go over stuff I still expect it to get stuck on and I go like wait, what??

(I was about to order the skid plate from Shapeways, then saw that Boom Racing makes one in aluminum so got that one. It clears obstacles nicely and the shaft joint angles remain 'within tolerances', which is also nice)