Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Tips, Tricks, FAQs
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tips, Tricks, FAQs Painting tips, building tips, How To's, ETC

Old 08-23-2018, 12:12 AM

Member Number: 27032
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Making A Solar Powered Truck

Well I am starting this thread with expectations on some tips to build a truck which will be powered by solar using a scale truck. I expect people to give some tricks on this. I came across some websites to get some knowldege on the solar equipment which can be used in this project. Like walmart, magesolar, amazon, costco and more, not able to decide and even fine any useful equipment for the project. Please someone help me with this.

Thank You and Regards.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

That's a tall order.

For a solar vehicle, instead of a solar rock crawler, i'd try to go more like the real solar challenge cars. Pick an existing racer you like the looks of, then try to find a solar panel, then scale the car to the panel.

Very light, small motor geared fairly slow, narrow efficent tires, bearings everywhere to cut rolling resistance. Little servo, light and efficent esc & rx, decase them.

Probably start with a thin carbonfiber plate chassis, skeletonize it.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:35 PM
I've been here so long my banana's turned purple!

Member Number: 3180
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

Have a look at this video,you could use something like this to help boost the input energy to keep the electronics running.but your panal would have putout alot.use the panal to charge up the capacitors that run the reciever and servo,with and excess of power to supply the esc and motor.youll also want a regulator as to not exceed a certing voltage.example your reciever and servo need 6 volts,the esc will regulate that voltage.but inorder to maintain 6 volts without a voltage loss you need nearly 8 volts input.and to keep consistant 8 volt you want to supply above 8 volts.
You could always use a voltage buck regulator,even a stepup regulator that will boost 6v to 12 volt.....but thosr type of converters typically use more amperage to make more voltage.it can all get complicated fast.youll need to keep amp draw as low as possible not to demand more than the panal can provide.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 14261

The biggest hurdle I see is the solar panel itself.. are there actually any panels available that can put out enough power to supply a 1/10 scale vehicle with enough juice to function?

I like the idea and it would be cool, but has solar tech advanced far enough to be feasible?