Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default ZIL157 /Studebaker US6 6x6 truck - JJRC Q60

My dad keeps getting invited to RC Semi meets with me, and decided he wanted his own rig to run instead of running my weird stuff.

This is a JJRC Q60, a 6x6 that seems to be based on a Zil-157, which is a soviet version of a Studebaker US6.

At first glance it looks very similar to my WPL 'B1' (bobbed m35 truck).
The chassis looks same, the trans looks same, spring hangars...
The big improvement is the axles. It actually has differentials in the pumpkins, improved looks, and slightly better springs.

This is starting as a budget build. 3ch radio, 20a esc, spms401 servo.

Plenty of upgrades are being released all the time for these jjrc and wpl trucks, and it's impressive what kinds of things people are doing with them.

The stupid silver graphics have only softened with alcohol, but not fully removed since it's a rough texture body. He was talking about a repaint or different cab to look more civillian.

Everybody likes lights.

Headlights came preinstalled, they just needed rewired to hook up to hobby grade. Then i drilled and mounted 3mm leds in front marker and tail lights. Right now they're wired 'always on' using an unused rx port, so you can't miss the truck being powered.

Also trying to find a 6v 130 size motor with torque. Unless he decides to get the 2-spd trans. It's just too fast right now.

Not sure what the plan is, i'm just along for the ride...and providing knowlege, building experience, free time, handling fiddley parts...
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:24 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

You can keep your hippie mobiles, I'm gettin me a real truck!

Hehe couldn't help chuckle at "started out as budget build ".... sits back and waits for things to get out of hand more fun to drive your own truck too.

Side note, if you ignore the front guards/wings does that cab and grille shape resemble the diamond T? Or close enough to start from and mod from there? Just looked similar but I could be way off.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Another Newbie

Hehehe, yeah that sounds about right.

Exactly. This is his rig. I'll do the work for him, I'll be a bad influence, i'll suggest stuff, but it's up to him where this one goes. I don't know if it will stay budget build, or if insanity will step in. I've already heard mention interest in sound modules, light controllers, and the 2-speed trans, duallie tires...

Speaking of modifying cabs, he's already got a 4-wheel version of the same truck on the way. Blue cab from it goes on this chassis, green cab gets reworked into a 1950s FWD truck, then a scratch build a bed and some other stuff, build a fire engine he used to work around back in the 1970s. I'll probably steal the bed off blue one to make a trailer.

-----
Honestly the steel Nylint 1930s truck cab is fairly close-ish to the Boyle hauler Diamond T. It's got the square B-pillar, V split windshield, proportions don't look too far off up to the cowl. It probably needs new hood, grill, fenders build around it though.
--- Nevermind, the A-pillar part of cab roof is still pretty wrong for it. Visor vs a smooth contour.

Structo actually built pressed steel Diamond T trucks in the late 1930-40s, mostly fire service, dumptruck, or semi

But for easy to mod, high detail, a tamiya 'King Hauler' cab looks to be what i seek for the '39 Diamond. Some similar contours, V windshield, old styling. Yank the sleeper & fill, chop top, fill & recut windows, shave door handles. Still going to be stuck making fenders, grill, and all the rest... Don't look at me like that, go check out some of the T-bucket styled highboy semi hotrods guys have built.

Last edited by frizzen : 09-17-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: It's good to be the King.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 AM
Wasting Time'r

Haha yep.. that doesn't sound very budget friendly already keep up the bad influence. Whatever comes of it, it's going to be a cool truck.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 PM
Another Newbie

Lebanon, IN meet trying to be entertaining for Fifties Fest

Getting a container moved

Checking out some loading docks

It's scaled a bit more like a pickup truck with really long bed, than a semi. I didn't see it near the 1/16 tank or half-track so i'm not sure how scale held up to them
Old 09-27-2018, 07:55 AM

Member Number: 377

Frizzen, let me apologize if we didn't formerly meet. I was at the Lebanon show. Had the grey/rust primer King Hauler with several trailers and my WPL build i did on here.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:45 PM
Another Newbie

I think we met, but didn't get to talk very much.

Looking back at your WPL build thread again, i believe my 'Adam-12' AMC Matador police car responded to a motor vehicle accident your truck was involved with...

I'm just glad everyone involved was ok, my ambulance wasn't in town.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Another Newbie

My dad decided this was a decomissioned truck, so it's been having some other changes.

The trailers still in work, its mostly mockup there.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Wasting Time'r

How's Dad's truck going? I got the Q60 for Christmas, so far only given a quick run around in stock form and must say you're right, it's rather quick for a toy. Was almost too quick to manage up and down the narrow hallway without touching walls. It's a big improvement on the B trucks they brought out first. Mine is probably destined to become a dump truck at some point. Also got the two speed for either it or the B truck.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Another Newbie

His trucks stalled out about here for a little while, November sucked. **** cancer.

The short bed that was on the trailer frame went back on the stretched short truck, which is in a new config. It's still getting a big frame once i track that down again, then i can start trying to go on a Fire conversion. I've been picking up a bunch of great techniques over at Scale Firehouse. That one has the cab mounted rotator light on it, but not much else. i could probably make it a Hose Wagon for lebanon. He also got a couple Bruder firemen to work with.

But here's something really cool.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:09 AM
Wasting Time'r

Sorry to hear, that sucks.

Looking forward to seeing what you've learnt (that I might be able to steal hehe). I made my own frame rails from 0.5mm steel, I think the dimensions were 7 or 8 mm with 3mm flanges folded on each side. It was easy as I've got a pan brake in the shop but you can achieve it with some angle iron or maybe even forming over some mdf, just screw the flat steel to the edge of the mdf sheet and then tap or push the flanges over... viola new rails.

That hauler is definitely COOL. love the loading deck inside the pretty bodywork.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Member Number: 28033

Very high quality made models. I admire. Friends, I need your help. Please tell me which tailgate assist to buy for my pickup. Looked options on the Internet, among other things, I found site truckpowerup There are different versions of this gadget, but I do not know what's best to choose.

Last edited by karizma : 04-10-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:20 AM
Another Newbie

Glad you're liking it.

It's been a pretty nice basic conversion so far without a lot of upgrades. It got fairly cheap electronics, some lights, little paint.

Added fuel filler necks since the tank fill caps were tucked under running boards. Then he made a black german shepard to add his old dog Bear in the cab, and he wanted a load of logs to carry. Still need to make a hitch and finish the trailer. He was talking about throwing some paint at it once the weather is decent.

Right now this one has been taking a back seat to his real baby...
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85706