Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

General R/C Banter If you have general question that does not fit in the other categories enter it here!

Old 05-05-2005, 02:21 AM
do what now?

Member Number: 112
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

ok heres the thing, my tlt-1 is way to stiff for my likes. you cant even flex it very much before they all come off the ground. i belive the truck is running 25wt or 30wt shock oil, and what ever spring rate these are. im wondering if i should use thinner shock oil, different springs or a combo of both? i have 2 springs off my blackfoot(not sure on what they are) taht seem pretty soft but i havent tried them on the tlt-1 yet. im waiting till i re-grease the axle's and add some shock oil to the shocks cuz i think i might not have any, its ben about 4 months since i last opend them :lol:

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16

well empty shocks should compress easier, but wont rebound bringing it back to ride height. :blink:

IMO springs should be the first change as far as shocks are concerned, however it is probably best to first make sure that the shock movement is free - by this I mean the shock should not be getting in the way of travel, this may mean inclining the shocks inwards more towards the centre of the chassis at the top of the shock then at the bottom. also small things like conical washers can free up the movement of 4 links and the ball joint on the end of the shock without introducing play.....if you 4 links do not move freely and easily then your shocks might be fine, but you will definetly need to sort this out.

:banana:
Old 05-06-2005, 01:56 AM
do what now?

Member Number: 112

well i just checked and when i pulled off two shocks and took the nuts off of the other two the chassis stayed level :blink:

i removed the other shocks and checked to see how loose the links were. well it was ALOT easier to flex it. as in this pic i wanted to see how far it could twist :lol:

and i moved the front shocks to where the cantlivers are supposed to go and that free'd up the front alot and well the rear im trying to figure that out. and i dont have any softer springs :\
Old 05-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16

yeah well thats pretty free moving without the shocks.... :lol:

it may be that the shock position is limiting free movement, you found an improvement moutning them inclined back towards the centre of the chassis, you may also find a similar improvement by mounting them on the inside of the chassis to further incline them inwards towards the centre(it should be fine provided the shock body does not scrub against the chassis)

:banana:
Old 05-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 84
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Link mounted shocks will increase the amount of articulation from the same amount of shock travel. They will also require a stiffer spring to hold the truck up. I think this could solve your problem, because you already have semi-stiff springs, and the way yor shocks are angled, they can't really do much articulation wise. Try mounting the shocks on the links.

Also, changing the oil weight will have little to no effect in a crawler. The weight changes how quickly it can compress and decompress, not it's stiffness. At low speeds, the oil weight makes no difference, but when goosing the throttle over a rock, it could make a difference.

PEACE
-T3 almost complete, Team Orion motor, Futaba ESC. Scrapped for TLT project. http://67.18.37.15/1212/173/emo/owned.gif
In progress:
-TLT project, scale Chevy truck. http://67.18.37.15/1212/173/emo/grinch.gif
-Jeep Grand Cherokee....its gettin' old but I still love it.