Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Scale 4x4 R/C Official Regional Clubs > NOSTR
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

NOSTR Northern Ohio Scale Trail Runners

Old 03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)
Default Ohio Scale Trail Adventure Series

We tried a new comp format today Brought a couple guys from TSC up from Cowlumbus (had to drag EeePee out of bed to do it) and ran the first installment of what we're calling the Ohio Scale Trail Adventure Series.

Buddy system, 2 trucks per team, or you can "ironman" it by going alone.

No reverse penalties, and winching is pretty much mandatory the way the courses are set up.

NO TOUCHING! You can touch the truck to attach a tow rope or hook up the winch, but that's it. no rollovers, no repo's. Doing so incurrs a time penalty.

Timed event. NickRummy and I completed the course in 49 minutes. Others were faster or slower. But we DNF'd when my battery puked at the last gate

Staggered start, 5 minutes apart. We ran into a traffic jam on the trail when the first team out couldn't make a gate, and we all had to pass them.

The only penalties are gate markers, touching and unsportsmanlike conduct. Three of the latter DQ's the team.

We had craptacular weather, 45 degrees and pouring rain. But nobody wimped out

Overall, this was an awesome way to run a comp. Sort of a combination gated comp and trail ride. We'll be doing it again

Stu I updated your post..
official rules and some early series info things may change before the first series event.

The goal of the Ohio Scale Adventure Series is to make challenging all terrain courses that span long lengths of terrain and require team coordination to complete. It will test vehicle and driver endurance, vehicle performance and take strategies to conquer obstacles. The only time driver to vehicle interaction will be permitted is for attaching tow hooks. If your truck rolls over or gets stuck, it is up to your team mate’s vehicle to right you.

Vehicle Requirements for 1.9 and 2.2 classes

- All vehicles in 1.9 and 2.2 classes will be required to carry a tow strap and/or a winch.
- All vehicles will require number plates on door panels (Number plates will be supplied and size TBD)

Vehicle Specifications for 1.9 and 2.2 classes

- Vehicle specs will be used from the Scale4x4 Rules vehicle specifications.

Team Requirements and Series Standings

- Teams must fill out and complete registration form found “here”
- Registration fee is $30 per team of two for the entire series of 4 events
- 1st through 3rd places at end of series will receive prizes (TBD)
- Teams must consist of trucks of the same class.
- Teams who do not pre-register for the series will be permitted to complete for a $10 fee per event. They will not be eligible for series prizes.
- IRONMAN, solo runners are allowed and will run in there appropriate class, by the same rules as teams..(this will be Very hard)

Series Format and Course Designs

- A course will be laid out with numbered gate marker flags. The numbers will represent the order in which the gates must be cleared.
- There is no limit on course design. Courses will consist of multiple types of terrain including but not limited to water crossings, mud crossings, extreme climbs and descents, and off camber situations that a single truck might not be able to clear.
- Vehicles will use a staggered start. Teams will be allowed to start 5 minutes after previous team.
- There will not be a penalty for vehicle repairs but time will not stop.
- There will be a judge appointed to each team to be sure teams obey gate marker boundaries and keep track of time.
- Team with quickest time will be the event winner.
- Ramping is permitted however,, ramps must be carried on the trucks.
- All equipment must be carried on vehicles. Straps, ramps, snatch blocks, cables, ETC..
- Both vehicles on a team must clear a gate in the order intended before progressing to the next gate.
- Gates are cleared when all 4 wheels pass through it.
- Event winner will receive 1 point for their series standings. The place you finish will determine your series standings score. (2nd place gets 2 points, 3rd place gets 3 points etc etc...) After the 4 events all scores will be added to determine the series winner. Lowest total score wins. A final course will be designed to break tie scores.
- all hookups of winch's straps, removal of ramps should be called before touching the truck... simply call out hooking up before you touch anything...

Scoring and Sportsmanship

- Gate marker penalty - 3 minutes.
- Boundary marker penalty – 3 minutes
- Vehicle Touch – 5 minutes
- Failure to show Sportsmanship (vehicles passing, etc...) - 5 minutes (3 penalties will result in DQ)
- purposeful gate or boundary bypassing(no straddling gates, or short cutting the course.) - DQ

current dates and general location
6/20 akron(nelsons ledges)
7/18 columbus
8/15 akron(ellet)
9/26 columbus

Last edited by sloppy : 05-27-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: updated with rules for series
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
kame hame haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Member Number: 863
B/S/T Feedback: (18)

it was hella fun.. will be getting the offical rules and series info up this week.. repairs are legal by the way, they are just on the clock.. stu you bailed to fast for the group pic but here it is without ya

weather was as bad as it gets rivers were forming down all the terrain it was terrible, in a good way.. 36 minutes for harley and I and the only team to not DNF pretty good day for us.. I have to say it was the best format I have ever ran for scalers it was super easy to score, pure driving skill no scale bolt ons making the winner.. fastest and farthest team wins just a great way to run..

I think we will try it this way at freddies this weekend to..

rest of the pics are posted up on NOSTR if any one wants to check them out
http://nostr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=822

http://nostr.net/forums/
Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 PM

I had to get out of there. I thought that jacket was waterproof, or at least water resistant, but it's not. I had a river running down my crack. This weather blows, but it was a great time.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Burnin' it down on the daily...

Member Number: 3075
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Sounds like a good time and a cool series.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM
CC-01=Fun Fun Fun...

Member Number: 604
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

That looked like fun!! Great Idea sure to be duplicated all over!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 1695
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

The yota sure took a beating!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM

At least you got the bumper back down. I hate creepy winches.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM

I dont know how you got that so dirty must have been at the end doing the burnouts in the leave's... the rain was heavy enough my truck is pretty clean, maybe better then when I started

gonna make some change's after today to, saw some huge room for improvement, in hookup and storage of equipment. and types of equipment. if you dont need it on the truck its in the way..

it was cool watching people put the pressure on themselves. guys slipping trying to hook up fast...

Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 1695
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
I dont know how you got that so dirty must have been at the end doing the burnouts in the leave's... the rain was heavy enough my truck is pretty clean, maybe better then when I started

gonna make some change's after today to, saw some huge room for improvement, in hookup and storage of equipment. and types of equipment. if you dont need it on the truck its in the way..

it was cool watching people put the pressure on themselves. guys slipping trying to hook up fast...
Definitely. I know of 2-3 things that I will do before I run again for sure!

Tell you what, I was REALLY impressed with the flat irons......
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
W.PA.C N'at!

Member Number: 2779

Wow.. really makes em want to put some work into my land cruiser scaler build and go head out to Ohio to play with u guys!! looks like a blast!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Lift View Post
Wow.. really makes em want to put some work into my land cruiser scaler build and go head out to Ohio to play with u guys!! looks like a blast!
it was the most fun I have ever had running a scaler in a competition event.. the pressure to work as a team and really think ahead on a really long course was awesome.. and everyone one was going all out to the weather was so bad a video was pretty much impossible.. but we will have one up soon..

Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
VDub Luftwaffe Pilot

Member Number: 2469

looks like a blast! is this more comp than scale? no scale points I take it?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 PM

nat I updated stu's post with the ruff draft of the rules and series info.. I think we will have another trial this weekend get a hold of me this week sometime..

the registration link should be ready by the weekend, the dates should also be squared away by then to..

Last edited by sloppy : 03-10-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 1711
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliemorgan View Post
looks like a blast! is this more comp than scale? no scale points I take it?

Honestly I feel its more scale. As in real.

No there are no scale points. However the items you carry on your truck are scale, and are used. So rather than points for looking scale, the scale items you have will actually help you complete the course.

I believe most of the trucks builders for this, really try and put a scale effort into them, instead of pure comp. Besides, the trucks still have to meet scale 4x4 rules.

Was a blast running with you guys.

Awesome sportsmanship from people!!! Even opposing teams assisted others who were having trouble or were in the path.

Everyone was really trying to complete the course. It really inspired me to finish at all costs!! Had to throw in another battery, but I finally made it to the end!! Ha, too much fun!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 AM
VDub Luftwaffe Pilot

Member Number: 2469

So I take it things like having a driver or an interior, spare tire etc are not needed?