Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > R/C Motorcycles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

R/C Motorcycles Two Wheeled Fury!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Member Number: 11594
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default What say you, worth fixing/converting?

This is a 'Royal' (Royale?) R/C motorcycle I purchasesd circa 1994. It's a honda VFR750R interceptor haven't torn into it, I believe it to be either 380 or 540 powered, takes a 7.2 volt 6 pack which is swings for ballast. It appears to have servos so I could probably retrofit it with hobbygrade electronics (I lost the 27mhz radio forever ago). If I remember correctly it's kryptonite was lack of power (For those who ride motorcycles, you know how nice and flop happy they get when you're hardly moving? yeah).. what do you guys think? Or should it just hit the 'bay?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 10994

-sell it, but be sure to include the Name Brand, it may appeal to collectors. As old as it is, collectors are the only ones who'll have spare parts. If you tune/modify it, it'll cost you money, & being faster w/o a gyro'd rear wheel, could mean crash(es). You'd be out your modifying money, unable to get parts, and you'd not be happy
Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

its actually a pretty decent old bike. i have sold a few of them here on the b/s/t forums.

the 380 equipped bikes spend more time on thier sides then on the wheels, as it takes speed to keep the gyro working properly. But, if its a 540 equipped bike, it is well worth cleaning up and using.

it will take some work to get used to the handling characteristics of the bike as the driver is rigid, *unlike the old Kyosho 'hang on riders' that leaned to help keep the bike stable in turns, but its still a nice handling bike and fun to drive.

its not a collectors piece, NIB units sell for less than 150 dollars on the best of days, get it running, drive it, crash it, have fun with it.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM

I took it apart, it's 380 powered... motorcycles require horsepower damnit, (scale or otherwise)... who makes an angry 380 series motor? Brushless perhaps?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

a 540 and a 380 size motor share the same mounting hole pattern, just put a 540 motor in it.

im willing to bet the internals were the same regardless of what motor it used. i have owned both the 380 and the 540 powered bikes, im sure the electronics are identical, cant see them having 2 seperate power boards. and if you blow it up with a 540, so what. someone will want it for parts.
give it a shot.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
a 540 and a 380 size motor share the same mounting hole pattern, just put a 540 motor in it.

im willing to bet the internals were the same regardless of what motor it used. i have owned both the 380 and the 540 powered bikes, im sure the electronics are identical, cant see them having 2 seperate power boards. and if you blow it up with a 540, so what. someone will want it for parts.
give it a shot.
Maybe I'm having a brain shart, but this is what I'm looking at. Can it be a 280?
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

check the mounting holes. a 380 and a 540 have identical dimensions on the mounting holes. the 380 motor is smaller yes, but the mounting holes are the same as its ''bigger brother'' motor.

never seen a 280 motored version of the Royal bike.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
check the mounting holes. a 380 and a 540 have identical dimensions on the mounting holes. the 380 motor is smaller yes, but the mounting holes are the same as its ''bigger brother'' motor.

never seen a 280 motored version of the Royal bike.
If it is by a motor's mounting points through which is measure....
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

thats definitely not a 380!!! i know there were at least three different variations on the paint work for the ROYAL bikes, and i know there were 2 motor variations, perhaps there was a third.

or, perhaps, it is not an actual ROYAL at all, but a clone bike by another asian manufacturer. (god know they did ALOT of that, with tamiya cars and trucks especially)

can the mounting bracket be drilled to accept the larger motor mount holes? and will the can physically fit into the area? a true ROYAL bike, the 540 can will have no problem with fitting into the space, as they used identical ''chassis'' betseen the different motored bikes. that will help decide if its a true Royal or not.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM

It was advertised as Royal, I ordered it through Tower Hobbies back in the day, came in a box that said royal, the controller said royal. The bottom of the battery tray says Green Corp 1989. Eh, maybe it is a knock off. All the better to hack it up. Associated makes some angry 280's. Theres not a lot of room to play with motor size though. I know it's some sort of Scale Taboo, but I'm going to leave the rider off. He's ridiculously heavy (According to the kitchen scale is weighs 10 ounces
Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Varyag og Muspelheim

Member Number: 1018
B/S/T Feedback: (14)

Talon, sorry bro, that is a RS380. Original Grasshoppers and Subaru Brats have adaptor plates to make the 380 fit a 540 drill pattern. Holiday Buggies and Sand Rovers had and optional motor mount.

MTJ, there are some reasonably mad 380's out there, including cobalt brushed and brushless. Of course you would need to upgrade to a new radio and ESC. Have a look in the airplane counter at your local hobbyshop for power plants.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

i stand corrected. you are 100% correct about the adaptor plate. been probably ten years since ive held a 380 never-the-less build anything that used one.

my apologies on the potentially misleading information about mounting sizes, i totally forgot about mounting plates.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 AM

I'm thinking running a brushed motor (The configuration is set up for a brushed motor, the brushside bearing carrier slides into a mount to stabilize the motor) and I was looking at the Duratrax 380 motors. I had some duratrax motors back in the day and they were some of my favorites. I just can't decide which motor I want, the stupid high RPM or the 11000 RPM crawler motor. I'm inclined to go with the torque over the RPM. Anyone have any experience with these motors?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Varyag og Muspelheim

Member Number: 1018
B/S/T Feedback: (14)

Quote:
i stand corrected. you are 100% correct about the adaptor plate. been probably ten years since ive held a 380 never-the-less build anything that used one.

my apologies on the potentially misleading information about mounting sizes, i totally forgot about mounting plates.
Don't stress it mate

I did however, want to see this 380 of yours... that'd be a freak Oh well.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 10994

-huh, welp, I learned that early 380's have a different mtg. hole pattern than later ones, I guess my day is done, g'night all-LOL