Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Nice job Joe it looks real good now to have some fun with it, hope every things works out all right for you. I never added weight to my excavator yet haven't seen were it needs any yet it weighs sop much. Ed
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 6911
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Patience is a virtue but I cant wait to see a video of this model workin in your basement

This is gonna be a B-L-A-S-T
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM
dont touch the triem

Member Number: 12609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
What a humongous, heavy & aukward piece to carry down a narrow & steep stairwell... almost tripped on the 1st step!
you could build a little ramp on one side of your stairs then just drive the machinery up or down the stairs. or if its broke load it on a truck and drive the truck up the ramp
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
TGX XXL

Member Number: 15545

Nice addition to the basement! =D
Seems to outsize that old one just a tiny bit there...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 PM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

4.5kg?! I think I was over half full with the copper BB's @2.5kg. So far that amount weight seems adequate. I've only got one lipo pack and it burns through 5amps pretty quick! Right after this post I'm gonna do some tinkering to get a car battery connected & go tackle that dirt pile outside before dark. More movies tomorrow.

Emil, Ed & Dimitri

The stairwell is about 30 degrees and quite narrow BigDave, I'm sure anything would travel down easily, but it'll never climb up that much grade.

Just a bit Bill, @7:10 of the vid, that is loose ground, although packed quite hard from me walking on it & the equip driving over it, the Stahl Excav could barely scrape the dust off of it... the 850 makes it look like sand.

I do have the pump mixed with the valves, but the way I operate the sticks out of habbit, the overlaping of the mix makes the pump run wide open almost all the time. I have the pressure set to about 20bar.

Already I see I need a better esc for the swing drive. I'm using a MTronics Viper Marine 12v/15amp. It works smooth one way, which is likely forward for a trk model, but it pulses the other way. The EPA is set to 60% on both sides to limit the voltage & speed going thru the 12v esc. Any suggestions for a smooth operating 16v esc?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Member Number: 12442
Unhappy

joe great video that machine is impressive in power i wish i could afford one
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Member Number: 5126

IMPRESSIVE !!!!!! So are you happy with it now we want a full report
Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 PM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Congrats Joe...another powerhouse machine!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 AM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

Thanx Neil.

Too soon to call yet Daniel... I did have a month or so of good fun with the 740 before it became a pile of junk that I couldn't keep running more than half a charge of a pack between repairs.

However, let me just say that the digging power is FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I'm having some troubles with the track drive mechanisms, but that might have been a few loose set screws that I didn't torque quite tight enough during assembly, not knowing if it was the final assembly at the time... I take things apart several times during assembly to get everything just so. I hope that's all it was...

Reviewing thru Kalle's thread earlier in the wk for the conterweight info & other little details, I realized that I mistakeningly ordered a 2x12 Sabertooth --- whereas he's using a 2x25. This new smiley I see added to the forum certainly sums up that over sight!

Being that I cannot operate the Sabertooth with a 3pos switch on the tx, I put both track motors on one motor driver of the Sabertooth so I would atleast have for/rev.. well that's too much amp draw for the one driver, it won't go far on the level even before it over heats & times out. So I guess I got to grunt it around till I get a 2x25 in a month or so.

How's your 2x25 Sabertooth working out for you Kalle? Or have you swapped it out for something else?

Something that just comes to mind, I'm gonna try the currently one open driver on the Sabertooth to operate the swing drive, maybe that will give me smoother operation than the Mtronics esc.

Fun & games... this much larger model takes much larger motors & electronics than I'm use to working with... 10yrs ago, trying to find 12v goodies & info on this side of the globe was difficult when everyone else was hooked on 7.2v rc's.

Cheers Bulldog :cheers:

Shot another movie tonite outside on the "pile". I'm loving this long reach, this 850 sure can pile it high!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 AM

Member Number: 5126

What does it take to fill the 740 body 5 buckets and about a minute and a half :
Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Hi my name is Kalle, im a scale addict.

Member Number: 2577

Quote:
4.5kg?! I think I was over half full with the copper BB's @2.5kg. So far that amount weight seems adequate. I've only got one lipo pack and it burns through 5amps pretty quick! Right after this post I'm gonna do some tinkering to get a car battery connected & go tackle that dirt pile outside before dark. More movies tomorrow.
Nice to see it in the basement Joe, looks right at home for some earthmoving!

Yes i use lead bb, they are a little heavyer i think, i have at least 4kg in mine. Its nice to have when you dealing with large rocks and it stays more planted when digging in hard packed dirt.

Quote:
Any suggestions for a smooth operating 16v esc?
I used a cheapo esc for the swing at first but i realized that i needed something more smooth, so i took a Castle creation Mamba Max i had laying for no use, such a huge difference, i would recommend the sidewinder or mamba max, they are not spec. for 14.8v but i have used it with no problems so far.

As for the Sabertooth the 2x25 works great but i have looked at the 2x50 for some more power, dont know how much it would help but its a heavy machine so i think i will try it later on to see if it makes any difference, if i can fit it!

In my opinion the trackdrive is the weak point on this model, also by putting more power to the tracks im not sure this design would hold up. On the new batch of this model they have a new design to drive the tracks, with a chain drive instead of the ones we have, looks much stronger and a way better design. To bad it would cost ALOT to make the swap as you need the new undercarrige and most of the new parts on the undercarrige.

I think me, you Joe and Ed should talk to Frank or Vario about getting a good deal on the new trackdrive, i know Ed have problems with the tracks as well, right Ed?

Im pretty tired of my trackdrive, i have just replaced the brass gear on the outdrive axles at the drive sprocket, the plastic guides for the axle dont stay in place when load is put on them and then the play in the worm/brass gear is to big and it starts to chew up the brass gear.

Maybe im to rough on the model but for the price you pay i think it should hold up for what it built for.

Nuff talking, good to see it in action! Nice:
Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Old Time'r

Kalle yes I do have problems with the tracks as little as I have run it. I talk to the guy that is doing my radio and now he said because of the postal strike in Canada the was waiting to send it because of the backup of packages and he will send it monday or tuesday. O well at this point I am sort of discouraged can't do much have to take care of the wife she down for the count her back went out and is in bed I have to take care of her and that comes first. Ed
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Old Time'r

Kalle and Joe I just spoke to Frank on the phone and asked him about the new drive and how much to convert ours to it. He is going to send me some pictures of what needs to be don to convert to the new drive. There is some machining to be don to move the motor and were the drive goes on. I will let you know what I find out and maybe a price for parts,I asked for a break on the price because the way it is it is to weak. Ed
Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 6911
Thumbs up

This 1st video is an appetizer , bring on the real food
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/marhund

Member Number: 9547

Looking great Joe !
Congrats on the new giant part of the litle company

I have noticed that the swing issue also apperce in the Norwegian machine.
As I see that most ESCs will have the issue with reverse not as good as forward - I just had a thought...
How about using two flight/Heli ESCs connected oppsite direction of each other.... They have quite cheap ESCs at hobbyking that might work for this purpose.. would it?
Just my thoughts...
Looking forward to lots of great vids of you future work in the basement