Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM

Member Number: 13162
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Kalle and Joe I just spoke to Frank on the phone and asked him about the new drive and how much to convert ours to it. He is going to send me some pictures of what needs to be don to convert to the new drive. There is some machining to be don to move the motor and were the drive goes on. I will let you know what I find out and maybe a price for parts,I asked for a break on the price because the way it is it is to weak. Ed
This would be great. I also have the OLD style drive, which sucks. I am not sure where the weak link is, is the motor under-powered, or is the worm gear set-up not geared right. My scale rock crawler has worm drive axles and they work great, but I run 21.5 turn brushless on 3 cells, so the light weight crawler works nice.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi my name is Kalle, im a scale addict.

Member Number: 2577

Quote:
Kalle and Joe I just spoke to Frank on the phone and asked him about the new drive and how much to convert ours to it. He is going to send me some pictures of what needs to be don to convert to the new drive. There is some machining to be don to move the motor and were the drive goes on. I will let you know what I find out and maybe a price for parts,I asked for a break on the price because the way it is it is to weak. Ed
Thats great Ed.

I just got an email from Frank that he will talk to Dave on monday and see if we can get a good deal on the new track drive. Its good that we are more then just one whos not satisfied with the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazq271 View Post
This would be great. I also have the OLD style drive, which sucks. I am not sure where the weak link is, is the motor under-powered, or is the worm gear set-up not geared right. My scale rock crawler has worm drive axles and they work great, but I run 21.5 turn brushless on 3 cells, so the light weight crawler works nice.
The weak link is the weight of the excavator, the worm/brassgear cant take it, there isnt a single bearing and when to much load is put on it the drive axle moves/binds, thats what i have experienced so far.

The setup would sure work if it weighted about 10-15kg but not for the double that weight, then you need a sprocket and chain drive, like the new style.

Hope this works out and we can get a nice and stout track drive, otherwise its a awesome model!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Kalle so far so good that they know there is a problem now to fix it at a reasonable price that is the 1000 dollar question. So we will see they have been good so far and they seem to want to please us and keep us happy I realize Vario is a big company and they do not need any disgruntled customers so I hope this works out. Ed
Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Hi my name is Kalle, im a scale addict.

Member Number: 2577

Quote:
Kalle so far so good that they know there is a problem now to fix it at a reasonable price that is the 1000 dollar question. So we will see they have been good so far and they seem to wat to please us and keep us happy I realize Vario is a big company and they do not need any disgruntled customers so I hope this works out. Ed
Yes they sure know the problem,why would they re-build the track drive if it worked?

And like you said, they have been great with service.

Im looking forward to see what Vario have to say.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 PM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

I'll try the Sabertooth driver for the swing, if that doesn't smooth things out, then I'll get one of thos CC esc's, thanx for the info Kalle.

An interesting idea Martin, but how would wire two esc's to control one motor?
It can't be too much longer now before your new piece of machinery arrives, eh? I'm looking forward to hearing your reviews on that.

Thanx for throwing my name in there for a new track drive Ed & Kalle, I haven't had chance to actually make my tracks work with this under powered Sabertooth, but I'll certainly go for the upgrade. Hopefully the new drive is much slower than this current one, I think it goes too fast!

A couple of new movies from the last couple nights.

Last night with the 850 & dozer working together, shortly after I started I had a problem with the small spur gear under the body plate slipping for the swing drive. Remove four bolts & four wires and the 850 is in two halves in minutes. The simplicity of this model makes it very easy to work on.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 PM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Awesome vids!!! I could watch these all day long
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 13092

Gee,s Joe , I have never seen anyone handle your lil equiptment like you, you handle them like its an extra arm and hand, you sure are the best I have ever seen, and I have been around this type of machines most of my life, im 56 yrs old, and have yet to see better, keep up the videos, and builds please, again thanks for sharing your lil construction site, allen
Old 07-18-2011, 01:25 PM
JOE

Thank you for the accolades Bulldog & Allen, always appreciated.

Being born & raised on the family farm (still farming), I was introduced to equip at an early age & have always been keen to perfect running equip to it's full potential.

I tried the Sabertooth last night for the swing motor with poorer results than the MTronics esc, I thought for sure it would work well with smooth operation in both directions... however, it pulsed like crazy in one direction. I'm using a 2x12 in my green GL dump trk, mix turned off, one esc to propel the trk & the other for the hyd dump without a hiccup in either direction. I've either got two defective 2x12's, or I've damaged them in this 850 by trying to push too much current through them with the track motors or they are just not capable for the this swing application either. I'll later try these two 2x12's in other smaller models that I plan to channel mix the hyds. I put the Mtronics esc back in till I aquire a CC or Banebots esc to try out.

So last night's video, the 850 is absent. But I did have a good time with the lil hoe & dozer atop the pile, moving dirt eastward. You can see in the video how this lil hoe struggles with some of the packed dirt, the 850 would carve through that like it was sand.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/marhund

Member Number: 9547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
An interesting idea Martin, but how would wire two esc's to control one motor?
It can't be too much longer now before your new piece of machinery arrives, eh? I'm looking forward to hearing your reviews on that.
Yeah... realy looking forward to it myself... but the waiting time is a burden

Have not given it a lot of thought but my idea was that you could mix to chanels, one ot eatch ESC. Only throtteling when you turn the way it should want it to this should not be a problem to conect both to the el-motor with opposite wireing...
BUT this way you will HAVE to have two free channels.... or if some ESCs are reversable it could be done on the same channel with Y-kabel.. but it need to be testet first... so that it does not give electrisity at the same time with opposite polarity
(I have two Hobbyking - Turnegy ESCs, so when i get some sparetime.. I'll run a test on it
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 AM

I run a tekin fxr esc for my swing motor in my Vario 850d. It works super smooth and works with 3s lipos.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 AM
JOE

http://teamtekin.com/fx.html
The input voltage is either 9cell or 2s... 4s might be too much?

I just placed my order with Vario to get the track upgrade kit, I'll do my own machining on my current undercarriage & just get the necessary parts for half the cost of an entire new undercarriage. My mill isn't big enough for the job, so I'll get the local machinist to do it for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

I just placed my order with Vario to get the track upgrade kit, I'll do my own machining on my current undercarriage & just get the necessary parts for half the cost of an entire new undercarriage. My mill isn't big enough for the job, so I'll get the local machinist to do it for me.
Hi, the FX is 2s, but the FX-R will work with 3s. I am using FX-Rs for both drive motors and the swing motor. I am using a castle esc for the hydro, which I will use a 4s for that.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I would love to upgrade mine. When you get your new parts I would love to see a build thread about the upgrade. Please take alot of pics whe you upgrade. I pm'ed you with some more questions. Thanks, Chad
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM
JOE

Yep! I'll post some pics & script about it here when I get at it in a month or so.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Duct Tape cures all

Member Number: 9878

Joe, hands down you got the coolest sandbox ever! Have you ever throught of summiting to "Guniess Book of world records" For moving the most dirt by RC model. I know you do this all for fun but, it could be fun.