Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Member Number: 13162
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Yep! I'll post some pics & script about it here when I get at it in a month or so.
Do you know if you get new tracks with the upgrade kit? I Have ran a few packs through mine and I think 50% of the problem is dirt gets packed between the grousers and binds the tracks. I see on the VArio website the tracks they show have oval hole in the pad, were as mine has round holes. Also the new sprocket is double geared and mine is a single sprocket?
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi my name is Kalle, im a scale addict.

Member Number: 2577

Yep, i will get the 870 tracks later on, my 470 tracks packs up so bad when the dirt is a little wet, not good at all.

Yes the new trackdrive has a double geared sprocket, i cant wait to get the new drive myself, any news on yours Joe?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Talked to Dave today, appearently the new double sprocket dont fit the old style tracks that we have, we have to use the same old single sprocket.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

This conversion is getting more expensive every minute. That why he wants to sell me a hole new under carriage. Ed
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Member Number: 13162

Well, after some more running/inspections I see my excavator's tracks work great going foward ( heading the same direction the drive sprockets are facing ), but if I try going backwards the tracks pack up instantly. But even with clean tracks the drive motors seem to stall out when turning or on any grade. So I think to totally fix the problem you would need to replace everything related to the drive system, tracks and all.

Ha , Jammer, How much did they quote you for a whole new bottom?

Chad
Old 07-28-2011, 05:26 PM
It can all be R/C...

Member Number: 10401

as always a perfect film....pure pleasure...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 PM
:.Digging myself deeper into a hole.:

Member Number: 13389

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbazq271 View Post
Well, after some more running/inspections I see my excavator's tracks work great going foward ( heading the same direction the drive sprockets are facing ), but if I try going backwards the tracks pack up instantly.
Chad
Have you tried taking the tracks off and putting them on the other way? Some tracks are designed so that in forward (drive sprockets in rear) the gap between the tracks is slanted forward as it goes down so that it does not pack up, but in reverse, where the sprocket is leading, they will have a tendency to pull dirt up.

Having the tracks on in the correct direction subverts this problem because with the drive sprocket leading in reverse, dirt falls out of the tracks on the upper portion of it's cycle before reaching the drive sprocket, rather than being dragged in on the bottom.

I hope that makes sense, this picture may help for reference: http://www.windstartractor.com/image...C_bd_track.jpg
Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbacon View Post
Have you tried taking the tracks off and putting them on the other way? Some tracks are designed so that in forward (drive sprockets in rear) the gap between the tracks is slanted forward as it goes down so that it does not pack up, but in reverse, where the sprocket is leading, they will have a tendency to pull dirt up.

Having the tracks on in the correct direction subverts this problem because with the drive sprocket leading in reverse, dirt falls out of the tracks on the upper portion of it's cycle before reaching the drive sprocket, rather than being dragged in on the bottom.

I hope that makes sense, this picture may help for reference: http://www.windstartractor.com/image...C_bd_track.jpg
Good point, actually never thought of that, will look closer on this when i rebuild mine, thx!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:38 AM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

gruardian 388 I think Werner has me beat with his backyard excavation.

Thank you dozzablue

Great explanation Stefan. Considering the drives be the rear of the vehicle, I have my tracks on the way you say it Stefan. Driving forward - the motor is pulling on the bottom of the track & I get the power & ability going this way. When I reverse, then the drive sprocket is pulling on the top of the track & with the spring loaded idler, the track gets loose & causes the sprocket to skip.

This 850 is extremely heavy at nearly 80lbs, it's gonna take alot power to propel the model. Got a tip from Kalle, I ordered the 516:1 planetary motor with my upgrade kit from Vario... I don't care how fast it travels, just as it's able to travel with steady, uninterrupted motion.

I haven't received any word yet that the upgrade kit has been shipped. Likely they are waiting for the arrival of the 516 motors they ordered last week.

In the meantime, I pack my 850 around by hand, it can sit in one spot for a long time & dig... however, I am anxiously awaiting for the Mamba Max to show up from the states b/c no esc I have in my inventory will work correctly for the 850's swing... as can be seen in this video.

You will also note the clicking of the tracks on the lil hoe, this happens when the one track is trying to turn backwards.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 PM
JOE

I've been working the snott out of my 850 the last couple nights this week digging a big hole in one corner of my basement. This dirt has never been disturbed and although its soaked up with all the moisture we've had again this yr, it's still very solid. I'd have a tuff time digging this with a bar & a spade.

Here's what I accomplished with one 5amp charged lipo.

And here's last night's one lipo pack.

The 5amp lipo lasts about 45 minutes. I have a variety of ways that I can run my hyd pump, it's on a 3pos switch:
down is off
middle about 3/4 throttle
up is full throttle
turn the mix on with pump 3pos off, all three valves activated together will make the pump run near full throttle
mix on, 3pos in the middle, pumps runs near full throttle with one valve activated, two & it goes to full
mix on, 3pos up, pump runs full throttle

Digging like I am in this hole, 3pos in the middle with mix off. Getting near the end of the charge and the voltage starting to drop off, 3pos up.

3pos in the middle, pressure is about 20-22bar
3pos up, pressure is about 24 bar

I don't see a need to increase the pressure anymore than that, its plenty of power to dig hard, sticky soil. I haven't experience any leaks in the soldered cyl joints yet, though I did have some sealing issues at the beginning with the barbed fittings screwed into the cyls... could've been a speck of dirt on the seal...

Everything is working good on the 850, it has gone beyond my expectations what a scale model should could ever do.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 AM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

That is one beautiful pile of fresh earth right there! My wife doesn't understand what I'm talking about when I say "scale dirt". Awesome! What a machine.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Joe have you gotten the upgrade and the motors yet I would be interested to know how it looks and how it works and how much machining there is? From what I saw it doesn't look like much but that could change when you actually get the kit. Ed
Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 PM
JOE

I don't understand what you mean by scale dirt either Bulldog, care to elaborate?

The upgrade kit might ship next week if they track motors from Como Drills show up to Vario. I'll post script & pics as soon as I can for ya Ed. Though I probably won't rebuild the 850 before harvest that's less than a month away if the heat keeps pouring on.

RC4WD's HK Excavator
It arrived Friday in less than perfect condition... it was well package, no structural damage from the trip overseas... it says on rc4wd's site "that the product has been tested prior to shipping"... well that's great I guess, except that the person responsible forgot to close the vent on the hyd tank ---> model soaked in oil!

Here's a couple of videos I made this morning... listen to how the brushless pump motor sounds & compare that to 850 on my other vids.

In the basement with the lights on
Outside on the pile

I've got a few issues to work out, like the hyd pump seems to be straining
awfully hard...

I got it Friday, noticed on the outside of the box looked like an oil stain. I'm now
wondering if the brushless motor is somehow affected with possibly being
soaked up with oil? And what pray tell may have the oil contamination done
to the rest of the electronics?

I sent rc4wd a mail about it Friday and pointed out in the videos I sent
today that the brushless motor is not sounding or seemingly operating
properly... guess I'll wait to see what they say.

1st impressions, despite the pump motor trouble; it's a nice sized model
with pretty good ability to move earth effectly. It's right in the middle
between Stahl's 922 & Vario's 850 size wise. Only time will tell of what its durability factor is?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 AM
TGX XXL

Member Number: 15545

You've got one stunning collection there! =D
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/marhund

Member Number: 9547

Great pics and review!
Allways interesting to compare the sizes...
Keep us posted on you Hydr. issue

I hope that they take the point of making a better case for shipping... That also can be used as a trasportationcase for the model later

Frode in Norway (that got the first one over here), and now is a Retailer of this in Norway.. got it the same way.. Solked in oil and Hyd.pumpengine not running well.. He also blew two ESC (the small ones for the belts and turning). But i think he got god respons with RC4wd of getting new parts...

And a agree with you.. The overall impretion is good.. Solid work. well made for long hours... or at least it looks so...

Considered to change the cabin on it to fit more to 1:14 as your other models??
Looks like its quite easy to do so...

Realy hope they close or empty the hydr.oil when they ship mine... Cant wait