Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM
It can all be R/C...

Member Number: 10401
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Well done Joe with the coverage. it'll be limo's everywhere, champagne, and fine dinning!
have fun
D
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

Snawty, good to see you join our cool community of hobbyists.
Most of what you see comes from Stahl-Modellbau, however that company in Germany closed for business last September.. don't know if they will ever re-open or sell their production model line.. very simple working robust models!
My latest track hoe, John Deere 850 comes from Vario Earthmovers of Germany as well. 80lbs model, with 350psi hydraulic oil pressure pushing 0.700 inch (18mm) diameter piston.. it has the power to dig never disturb before hard ground. (no more hand digging )
Fumotec is another german company that I have had good dealings with, they have a B50, B40 ADT dump trks, a Komatsu WA-500 payloader coming out soon and a B4206 4x4 tractor (I've seen vids of the life-size 4206's pulling tandem scrapers).
google those three names & they should all be the 1st choice.

Hello Joe Ayars, been a long time! What have you been doing with the hobby lately? The pull type you made for me is still in my living room , the basement is not the place for it, but I have a job for it very soon in another area.

suivison thanx friend for the nice compliment, hopefully the attn benifits all of us with more ppl getting involved, now that they have a glimpse of what's out there and how entertaining it can be.

Welcome to the forum Jason Thompson
I don't know what to say ... it bewilders me how this mini mining site idea has reached out to so many & all the positvity it has generated... thank you for sharing your story.
When's your 1st constr model build gonna begin? Or will your dad beat you to it?

And to Ed, Greg, Kalle, OldSchoolRC1, Tommy, dozzablue, Scott, Zillon, Highmark, Ragnarok, K B, djk for your kind words of encouragement & acknowledgement. Thank you
No worries for stardom for me, I'm quite content being a regular Joe with a regular job and sharing my free time & hobby with you all.

I got a few movies to edit & upload... one where I nearly fell off the wall with the 850 working so close to the edge (take a week off & turn into a rookie ) And re-repair my bucket cyl, didn't do a proper job soldering last wkend.

Later
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

It looks like the fame hasn't gotten to him yet! Joe, do us a favor and post some video of you scaring the paparazzi off your property if it ever gets that far! Congrats Joe, it's fun to live in the limelight. I was MILDLY famous for a while in college, and it felt good. But being the original me after all the flashbulbs wore off felt a heck of a lot better. Keep all the good things running. We're watching.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 AM

Member Number: 17315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post

Welcome to the forum Jason Thompson
I don't know what to say ... it bewilders me how this mini mining site idea has reached out to so many & all the positvity it has generated... thank you for sharing your story.
When's your 1st constr model build gonna begin? Or will your dad beat you to it?
Later
Thanks for the welcome, i actually was into R/C back in the 80s, started with a Marui Big bear monster truck and a Tamiya Grasshopper and then life kinda got in the way. Im amazed how the hobby has progressed and didnt realize how far out things have become until coming on here. My dad does have a collection of construction equipment both full size and mini with a few r/c but nothing like what you have. Ive had a blast checking out the site, the attention to detail is amazing. JT
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Member Number: 17355
Default Der Spiegel

Good day, gentlemen,

as a frequent reader of German news magazine Der Spiegel, I have come across the article about Joeīs "Lil' Giants Construction Co.". Der Spiegel ("The Mirror") is a highly reputated weekly news magazine, one of Europe's largest publications of its kind, with weekly circulation of about 1 million. Hereīs a quick translation of their online-story about Joe into English for your convenience.

Joe, I like what you are doing and understand you are a moderate fellow, who hates all this hype, so I hope you wonīt mind. Iīm no native speaker, so please bear with me. Still, itīs better than a gooogle translate, I guess. Here goes:

Crazy Craft Project: Small Vehicles Coming Very Strong

If you have absolutely no idea how to spend your spare time, you may go find yourself a crazy craft project. Just as Joe Murray, who is digging over the cellar of his home with radio-controlled construction toys. For this job, he swears by German technology.

When people bring their toys to the cellar, the room normally gets more and more stuffed. At Joe Murrayīs place, it is the other way round. The more toys Joe collects, the bigger his basement becomes. Murray's toys are radio-controlled construction machines. With their help he is digging over his cellar since more than seven years now. Some 150 videos of Canadaīs craziest construction site are already available on YouTube.

In these clips little yellow excavators are seen loading miniature trucks with lumps of earth, that are the size of golf balls. The heavily loaded trucks then fight their way up over wooden ramps to the basement. Through a kitty door they roll out into the open, where they finally dump their load on a heap as big as the Matterhorn, compared to their size (Matterhorn= one of the highest mountains in the European Alps).

One wouldnīt be surprised when finally a Playmobil figure came out of the cab, lifted the hard hat, and wiped the sweat from itīs forehead. But the driver of all the machines is human. His name is Joe Murray. He even founded a fictious company for his machine outfit: "Lil' Giants Construction Co."

In 2001, Murray realized that it is fun to assemble small electric vehicles. Winters are long in his home province of Saskatchewan, located in central Canada. And once itīs becoming as cold as -30 degrees, there is little work to do left for a farmer. So Murray started to fight the boredeom with a hobby.
And because he didnīt want his assembled machines to collect dust in a showcase, "Lil' Giants Construction Co." needed an order. Therefore, in 2005 he started "Project Basement".

Before "Lil'Giants" could start the job, Murray loosened the soil of his cellar with picks and bits. Then he started his radio-controlled fleet. Digging, loading, trucking, dumping - it was all done by his little machines. Murray guesses, that since then, his vehicles have hauled 2-3 cubic meters out of the cellar into the open every year.

One day he installed a suspender-sized conveyer belt to transport the excavated earth out, but has broken it down again after a short period. Says Murray: "It went too fast and thus was too efficient. I rather work with the remote control."

And by the way, Murray orders the kits for his machines via internet - in Germany. In his opinion from here come the best accessories and the most reliable engeneering.

Murray is making one thing clear: "Project Basement" is not so much about excavating his cellar. It is rather about activity for his machinery. "Is there a better place for a playground than directly under your home?", he asks. For him now it is only some steps down the stairs to get to construction wonderland.

Joe Murray has been well known by enthusiasts of radio-controlled 4x4 vehicles for some years. On their internet forum, he is a little star. But the fact, that now media from all over the world is approaching him, rather annoys him. Says Murray: "I hope, that it will become quiet around my farmerīs life again soon."

Joe Murray must be a lucky man. He loves his work and appreciates the peaceful life at the coutryside. Lately, a Canadian TV-station was planning a feature about him, but he denied. "I do not want to be a public person. The R/C-stuff is nothing more than a hobby", he explains. He also says, that the last weeks had been "hell", and his phone was ringing constantly: "It was chaotic".

Still, Joe can see something funny in all the hype about him:
"Had all these calls arrived two months later, I wouldnīt even have noticed them. Because I had been away, working on the fields all day for weeks."

Last edited by Beetle : 02-22-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Matterhorn explained
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Always a newbie at something

Member Number: 17372

Hiya Joe..

Now the MAN, and our hobby, are also in Der Spiegel. The most famous "rag" in the world..

I must say, this is nothing short of fantastic
And it's all because of our very own "crazy canadian"

The fact of the matter is, if it hadn't been for the idea you had about excavating your basement, and your continous releasing of videos over the years, our hobby would still have been one of those weird, crazy hobbies no one would have taken seriously at all.. Like collecting toilet paper..

But now, I have noticed, there are a lot of former RC-people re-awakening. New people read about our hobby and we get new members in our forums in a much faster rate than before..

My self, I started with this hobby only two years ago, and most people I have been talking to since I started don't even know that there ARE such things as RC trucks. Not to mention hydraulic RC construction equipment..

I know you are a modest man, Joe. And don't like all this hype much.. But the hard facts still are, you and your little construction company have done WONDERS for our hobby.

Now there's absolutely NO reason for the manufacurers of rc constuction equipment NOT to sponsor you with machines, huh? Lol..

So ,folks. I certainly think that we all should give our favourite canadian a HUGE aplaude and a BIG thanks for all he has done for our hobby

Congrats, Joe. And keep it up. You are a great inspiration for many of us
Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
It can all be R/C...

Member Number: 10401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian (the norwegian) View Post
Hiya Joe..
Congrats, Joe. And keep it up. You are a great inspiration for many of us
I agree with Ian the Norwegian totaly, I no longer feel wierd about my hobby to produce RC heavy Plant.
and I agree that the companies, really ought to be providing you with technology!! I'd endorse it!!
D
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 11889

Have you got any progress on improving the excavator from Hong Kong? Great handling of all the Media!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
JOE

I've got Guns, but no Grenades, do you have any spares to lend me Greg?!

Well then it's something of interest you or your dad or his grandson can work at together Jason, if the big toys ever leave the family heritage.

Thank you for the translation Beetle! I read your version, then the google translate & came back here again.. your's is much better! Thank you for taking the time to do it, much appreciated!

I think no matter how grumpy any one person pretends to be; positive attention to anyone's achievements, accomplishments, contributions to whatever, however significant during life's journey always brings some satisfaction to that person.

I don't Hate the attention, but rather it's just all the misinformation that kicked this media blitz off to begin with... since the day I became aware of it, I have found myself having to defend my personal choices to participate in this hobby and the spotlight seems to be more focus on my personal life vs the enjoyment that a hobby would bring to one's self. (I didn't loose you yet did I? I have spent a lot time reflecting on all of what's happened lately and perhaps how to do deal with it better next time)

Ahhh.. you're quite a comical fellow Ian (the norwegian)! Thank you for the accollades!

I must admit that I felt quite alone in this side of the world when I began the pursuance of this constr model hobby in 1998! But with the help of the internet, a hand up from a few germans to help get me started, we have all come together globally to shrink this world into a fine community of hobbyists sharing all of our knowledge freely with one another to make it better & better with each new day.

I salute the germans with coming up with the idea of functional minature scale hydraulic constr equip, without their adventurous ingenuity of engineering craftsmanship, we'd all be still dreaming on "what if?!"

I have always prided myself in paying my own way in life... however, if any one company wants to pass any freebies out to me or generous discounts? ..as long as there no strings attached & I am free to report my experience, and by all means I'll do my best to work out any problems with them that I might have with their products - and as long as they are willing to do the same.. then I'll gladly accept the charity offering.. but I certainly won't be expecting any special deals just b/c of my sudden fluke of fame. "They" gotta eat too.

For the record, I have gotten some breaks in free shipping & discounts from various companies globally.. I'm not sure if I am at liberty to say who exactly, but it has happened.

Well dozzablue , despite my efforts to explain in detail the sophistication of the intricate parts that make up these constr models, I still get alot of rolled eyes & crooked smiles from ppl I've known my whole life that think I should be applying my "spare time" to something more productive than these "toys" that they think are for kids... they don't get it & I don't push it on them...

Another vid of the 850 mining on the wall, it's nothing new or special, I just luv running this hoe & showing off its power & ability!

Last edited by Lil Giants : 02-23-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
JOE

No I haven't RcTech9... I spend all my time running this 850... if I ever get bored with it, then maybe I'll look at the HK hoe to see if I can improve on it.

Thank you for the compliment.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 AM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Back to work! I love it. I zipped through the other forum for a bit. There are some nice builds. Selfishly, all I really want to see are yours! Now that the box has been opened, I'm sure I'll dig a little deeper. I've said it before...I need another forum like Kennedy needed a parade. Always nice to see you diggin.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Heilischer Bimbam! Was is dann hier los?

Member Number: 6424
Default More attraction...

LG, in these minutes a video and a (very) short report of your work is on our nationwide news TV morning show in Germany.

It is "just" in the section "And there was this guy who...", so I do not know it they will add it to their videos collection/streams, but if they do, I will put the link in here.

:-)

dirk

PS: It is indeed now available, but included in the whole show and not easy to discover. A short, but very friendly an respectful report. Channel was the ZDF.

Last edited by dirchsen : 02-24-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM

Member Number: 17355

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirchsen View Post
It is indeed now available ... A short, but very friendly an respectful report.
Here

Starts @ 01:11
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM
JOE

Cheers Greg lots of mighty fine builds on RCT&C to be seen..

Thank you dirchsen for the link, I did find it, but like you was unable to figure out how to direct link to it.

Thank you again Bettle for doing just that.

I made it to the basement for a couple hours last night, 1st time really in a couple weeks since this media blitz began & busy moving grain off the farm. Nothing new to film or show pics of... maybe next wkend.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Heilischer Bimbam! Was is dann hier los?

Member Number: 6424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Cheers Greg lots of mighty fine builds on RCT&C to be seen..

Thank you dirchsen for the link, I did find it, but like you was unable to figure out how to direct link to it.

Thank you again Bettle for doing just that.

I made it to the basement for a couple hours last night, 1st time really in a couple weeks since this media blitz began & busy moving grain off the farm. Nothing new to film or show pics of... maybe next wkend.
You are welcome and have my full admiration for your work down there. You gave me a complete new view on the clay floor in the basement of my own old farmhouse where I live in...

:-)

d.