Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Member Number: 1
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

...And all four wheels are painted and put back together, mounted on the Jeep... Looks better!

By the way, I wired the motors up last night and mounted the steering servo. I stuck an old original Traxxas XL-1 ESC on it, the old black ones. I was gonna try and run it a little and get a feel for it, but two things became aparant... That old ESC can't give these motors enough juice to do much more than the stock Nylint did, or they motors are just not strong enough for it. Also, it made it down the driveway and back about twice before one of the rear knuckles broke off all the way. New ones should be here soon though! I'm going to have to get a better ESC for it for sure. Lower gearing than stock wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Attached Images

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 10994
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

-I'd say the esc can't send juice to both motors enough. Should have plenty of battery pk. space!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 5038

thx for the wheel mount pix
thats just to easy
ill get mine mounted up soon and see how it goes

i have an xl-1 on my clod, the only difference is i have stock wheels on mine and it runs just fine
how did you wire yours parallel or series?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 PM

They're wired parallel. Are these Nylint tires really that much bigger than stock Clods? I've got stock gearing and 55 turn HPI motors. I could very well be the weight. This thing is HEAVY! lol
Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 PM
still a Newbie

Member Number: 9046

I didn't realize how big it is. Then I noticed the tiny little silver cans on the axles.

What are those?...Oh, they're the motors...That thing is huge!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Got the new parts in today to fix up the back axle, put them in, and took it for a proper test run...

I learned a couple more things... I was right, it's a little weak on power for sure, I think the 55T motors just lack the punch it needs to move all this weight around! I'm thinking some hotter motors with lower gearing would work much better. I'll try that later, but these will do for the time being. Also, the old XL-1 ESC is just not up to par for this big Jeep! Everything was great at first, but as it started heating up it got more and more "jittery", and by the end of the run I had barely any control over the low speed. The heatsinks were hot enough to burn you! The motors and battery were both warm, but not hot at all. Needs a better ESC, I expected that. The suspension works great as is. Could maybe use a little thicker oil in the shocks, but it'll work.

The rear steering still isn't locked either, I just tightened the king pin screws down tight with no washers under them, and it seems to work! I'm sure it wouldn't take alot to tweak them, but it worked enough to try the thing out... I'll fix them up with a proper lock later though.

Now the good part, pictures!
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I've been here so long my banana's turned purple!

Member Number: 3180
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

man this thing is really clean.
i want it!

cant wait till you get the esc sorted out!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Yeah I think the better ESC will help it for sure... Later on I'll swap these motors out for something with more power and drop the gearing too. Should work a lot better!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 5038

if i remember from the set i have there like 1/2 to 3/4 inch taller than the stock clod
it might be an inch but i would need to check on that one
thx for the pics again on how the nylint wheels mounted up
hopefully i should get some time in the next month or 2 to get mine set up and then i will find out if i need to upgrade my esc and gearing
right now mine is setup with and xl1 wired in parallel with the stock silver cans and gears
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 PM

The only difference in my setup is the 55T motor, and I'm using a 7-cell 3000mAh NiMH pack on it. This thing truly is heavy though... I'll be swapping the XL-1 for a Novak 610 HRV from one of my other trucks soon, I've got another ESC on the way to go in that truck. The Novak is rated much higher in number of cells and amps it can handle.