Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
too many projects, to many ideas

Member Number: 6746
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default Schwimmwagen (first teaser pic)

Hello everybody,

Now that the M3A1 is almost done its time for a new project. After a lot of thinking and looking at pic's on the www , I have made up my mind. I'am going for the schwimmwagen a german amphibian 4x4 made during WW2. I'am going to make the body out of sheet metal in scale 1/6 of course its going to be amphibius too (thats going to be fun when I go trialing with the guy's ). For the mechanical parts, I'am going for traxxas summit stuff (locking diffs with diff carriers, gearbox and motormount, axles and axles carriers) the rest of the suspension is going to be home made. Today started with the body but most of the time went too cutting out the base form out a piece of sheet metal. Maybe I'll post some pic's tomorrow when I have something more too show.

BTW this is the drawing I'am using for reverence

Last edited by jan_m : 11-10-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

just so you know, there is a 1/6 scale version of the Schwimmwagen available for large scale G.I. Joe action figures, it might be an easier (and perhaps more affordable) route to consider for the main body structure.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Everybody Needs Rock N Roll

Member Number: 4514
B/S/T Feedback: (45)

Yep 21st century toys did a couple versions, and I believe Dragon Models did one also, but 21st century toys(Ultimate Soldier) will definitely be a cheaper one.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Yeah I know but why take the easy way? No just kidding ,I just like building things out of metal and the G.I Joe version is a bit off at some points. Since i'am going to use it for trialing and its going to be amphibius too it needs to be strong.

But thanks for the idea
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

just wasnt sure if you knew. lookin forward to seein what you come up with.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM

First plan was going that way, but its almost impossible to get one overhere. But that would have been a great option. I'am going to build this as much to scale as possible and what can be more scale than a metal body

I'am just not shure what kind of motor I'am going to use. I think I'am going to keep this until the car is done so I know how much it weighs
Old 11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
yes I can tow a house

Member Number: 12594
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Run either nitro or gasoline. With the right muffler a two stroke would sound similar to a VW engine lol
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedually View Post
Run either nitro or gasoline. With the right muffler a two stroke would sound similar to a VW engine lol
and couped up inside a full body, would overheat just like a VW engine too!!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402

not to rain on your parade but wasnt the schwimmwagen 4x2? built on a vw bug pan?

( i have had few bugs and bug related kit cars but never a schwimm so I may be wrong lol)

edit: I was wrong kubelwagen was the 2wd one I was thinking of... you continue with your build now
Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Home of the XC Retirement Community

Member Number: 881
B/S/T Feedback: (20)

cool idea. i have/had the 21st century toys version. It will float with 12 gi joe's in it at the same time, ya i did it to test. lol. I think i still have it, but havnt seen it in a couple years. A metal one would probably have a more natrual looking ride in the water too, and give it better stability as most of the wieght isnt higher up with the figures.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM

the schwimmwagen is a 4x4, and it does use a lot of bug parts. The big difference is that the floorpan and the body are one piece.

picture of the frontend where you can see the diff and driveshaft ( the rest looks a lot like your normal bug parts)

grtz
Old 11-06-2010, 04:08 AM
All bad things come to those who haste

Member Number: 10251
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Last edited by SCRT Pilot : 11-10-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 AM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

J, Its funny I was just thinking this would be an awesome build to do one day and here you are getting started on one! I cant wait to see what you come up with. I was thinking when I build one I will build the body in 2 seperate parts I would build the over all tub shape and attach the suspension to it and then I would build another tub to sit in the chassis tub but it would be a bit smaller and then I would be left with an open cavity between the 2 and that would be filled with expanding foam for buoyancy. I will get you some drawing later if the idea sounds like it would help you out..Im so excited to see one of thes being built!!!!!Go Jan!!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks RCJEEPBUILDER,

That would be great two schwimmwagens, yeah I need all the help I can get. I was thinking of building the body like the real one. One tub completly watertight. The suspension will be mounted outside the body, but since I'am going too use Summit diffs and axles and the are waterproof thats no problem. The gearbox will be mounted unter the rear seats. I'am going to use propshafts (rc ships) too conect the diffs with the gearbox so here is also everything watertight. And I hope that by building it this way it floads (its just a big waterthigtbox. I'am just thinking of a way too mounted some kind of rudder but thats for later on in the build.

grtz
Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 AM

After almoust 5hours of metalwork (grinding, bending, welding, hammering) its starting too look like a car. The big problem is that there are 2 sides on a car and they have too look the same. The first side always works out great but too make the other side look like the first side thats the problem. When everything keeps going like this, I will make some pics this evening So you can give some input.

grtz