Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 07-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)
Default Bullitt's Wild One

Over the years, I have loved this hobby tremendously. Like all of us, I have hit roadblocks in the past and hit a major one this spring. I decided to call it quits and let everything go. After talking to a friend about it, his words of "you have to keep at least one" put a little thought in my head. I started thinking that yes, everything is going, but maybe getting or keeping one RC wouldn't be a bad idea. It would have to be cool enough that would sit on my bench and look cool may get run a couple days a year. A few weeks later, Chris with REC came out with the wide front wheels for the vintage buggies and the wheels started turning. I decided to get a Wild One. My brother had one and I always thought it was cool, but I never had one of my own. I am going to kick it old school and just have fun with it and not get so stressed out over making it scale. Stickers, paint, aluminum wheels, and maybe some lights is what made buggies rock in the 80s and that is what I am going to do again. Bring back the fun in my RC life.
I had just sold off my Willys & Wraith as well as a few other parts and had me in a spot where I have not ever been...stocked with cash. My first purchase was a standard set of REC's wheels and a pair of front wide wheels. That's right...I bought the wheels before I even had the buggy. Once the final payment cleared, I ordered the WO, a pair of 915s & Sand Scorcher paddles, bearings, light buckets, and shims from RPP. The WO should be in on Saturday and the gears are spinning now.

Thank you Nate for the logic and Chris for the uber cool wheels.

Harry

Last edited by Bullitt : 07-21-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:13 PM
Long Tall Texan

Well, it was Christmas this morning after the fed ex driver showed up. I had some uninterrupted time today and within 30 minutes, I had the chassis painted.

After a little while, progress was being made. I had some RC4WD coil overs and I thought I would give them a try and with a spacer up top, they work just fine.

I wanted to run some lights on it had still had my Tamiya light controller and I think it's all going to fit. I think. I'll have a couple pairs of 5mm LEDs up front and pair of 3mm in the back.

I even got the panels painted tonight as well. The driver was painted on the outside for a matte finish.

That's all for now.

Harry
Old 07-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Rollin' in the winnie

Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

I was practically out for almost three years. It was a retro monster truck race that brought me back in. Now I have a couple of clodbusters as monster trucks, but the scale wheels are starting to spin again and a few old projects may be coming back to life.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Long Tall Texan

Oh I loved my clod buster! I kind of wish I still had it, but when I sold it, I was done with the monster truck scene. I found the XC Pajero not long after and jumped back in the hobby. It's funny how something little can lure you right back in. RCs are kind of like a hot looking girl in the alley. You know you shouldn't do it, but it awfully hard to say no.

Harry
Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Long Tall Texan

I decided to slow it down a bit because this build was going to be coming to an end quicker than I hoped. I moved the electronics around several times and I think I finally found my happy spot where everything can be reached easily. I also put the stripes on the body and other than a Tamiya sticker, these will be the only re-re stickers going on the buggy.

Harry
Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Rollin' in the winnie

yeah, don't want it over too quickly, i'm working on my bigfoot 5 build again, once again got to the point where it will require money, so i;m at a standstill again, recently depleted the entire play money account so everything in on hold till it rebuilds.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Long Tall Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
yeah, don't want it over too quickly, i'm working on my bigfoot 5 build again, once again got to the point where it will require money, so i;m at a standstill again, recently depleted the entire play money account so everything in on hold till it rebuilds.
Been down that road many times before. I am kind of enjoying being on the other end of the hobby.

Harry
Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Rollin' in the winnie

i wouln't even know what to do with only one, complete, rc car.
actually drive it maybe?
i did get a NIB hornet kit once. put the thing together, then added a barracuda shell to it with a couple front body posts and some zip ties around the nerf bars in the rear. it was a lot of fun blasting it up and down a sandy river beach throwing roost.
drove it about 5 times and parked it. looks cool on the shelf. i wonder what kind of bulk discount i could get on 2.4 r/x's for the 3pk. right now i can only have about 4 runners at a time.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Long Tall Texan

I guess my biggest problem was that I went from struggling to getting one running and always thinking about the next build, that I ended up with several projects and no light at the end of the tunnel! If the RC desire comes back, we will see what happens. If it stays away, then I'm only stuck with one buggy. I will shelf the mustang after I pull the RC stuff out.

I got the rear lights mounted after looking and looking for the best spot. It's not exactly what or how I wanted, but it's clean. If I mount a spare, it's going to block them.

Everything is all wired and sitting in place.

Now it's time to put the rest of the decals on and paint the front "tubing" red to match the rest of the tube work.

That's all for tonight.

Harry
Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Rollin' in the winnie

based on the box art it doesn't look like much else gets bolted to the rear cage, what a bout when you do a spare, make a bracket that bolts to the tabs above the rear cross bar to house lights and hold bottom edge of spare?

or add a second cross bar there with a tail light panel between the bars?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Long Tall Texan

That sounds like a good plan. I could give it additional support by making it tie into the resistor mount for a little more strength. Good call.

I was lured back up into the attic last night and did a little more work on the buggy. My rear hex adapters came in and I mounted up the rear wheels. Me like a lot!

I am just waiting for the F103GT parts tree to come in. The spindles were set up so Tamiya could use sedan wheels on the F1 chassis (F40, NSX, and another kit) that has the 850 bearings in the spindles and the shaft runs right through the spindle. The shaft is offset of the cross pin, so I will have to hold the spindle with screws.

Hopefully the parts tree comes in today so I can confirm if it will work. If it does, then I can keep these Rogue wheels and have another set for the Wild One.

I hooked up a battery pack and was pleased, but then decided I may need a couple more lights

Then I added some stickers and took more pictures.

Thanks for looking.

Harry
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Rollin' in the winnie

those wheels make that buggy. are there provisions for roof lights?
and/or the tabs on either side of the front bumper in front of the shock towers.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Long Tall Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
those wheels make that buggy. are there provisions for roof lights?
and/or the tabs on either side of the front bumper in front of the shock towers.
The roof panel is held with 4 screws, so lights could be fastened there and on the sides of the roll bar. The holes up in front of the shock mounts are not being used, so I could put a pair up there too.

Harry
Old 07-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Long Tall Texan

I took the WO to work today and let it spin the tires in the vacant building. Before long, it was catching air on the slope near the loading dock

Harry
Old 07-27-2016, 03:48 PM
I WILL Hijack & De-Rail your thread into uselessness!

Member Number: 128
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

That car's gonna be wored out by the time I get the wheels to ya! I've never even thought of selling my collection, or even 1. My burden is painting. I had 7 vintage & re-re buggies (What I'm into lately) all builded & perfect: But not 1 body painted for any of 'em. That gets overwhelming so I hear ya on getting buried in projects! But after a long while, I got in the mood to PAINT unbelievably, and now have my Tomahawk, Wild One (couple shots) & Scorpion all done (Quick shots of that, MAN I'm happy with it- Baja wheels, engraved roof, 1-off windscreen, Al. wing & driver roll bar, LOVE this thing.) Am working on a NIB built-up Traxxas Radicator. I'm popping out a set of Alum. wheels for that, exact-ish copies of stock, as the kit wheels are bright red-pink & that kills my color choices for the body. Prolly have the onlt set of Al. radicator wheels in the world, but I'll keep the stockers because it's just right.

Also have to box-art the Optima, and paint 2 vintage RC-10's. Also have a YUGE box of my Scorcher parts & still have not built one yet! So, as time passes, the things you thought you'd never get to will eventually be back on the bench- Just no to for sell them ever! The Scorp really fired me back up for some reason. Glad to see your car Harry, keep a stiff upper lip Mate. Chris REC
Attached Images