Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Help wanted!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Help wanted! New to the forum? Start here.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 10712
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Have CNC and lathe...need ideas

Hello! I'm Killbucket. Yes, the only...Killbucket!

I'm retired, and have a full shop...but even the best Costa Rican coffee is failing me, I'm out of ideas.

Here's some of my work:

Current project:

What should I make next?

Last edited by killbucket : 01-25-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

I'm sure we'll think of something. Nice work on that chassis

Welcome to the board
Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Wasting Time'r

thanks!

With a CNC, 9x20 lathe, two drill presses, two band saws, a belt sander etc., you'd think I'd never run out of ideas...am I condemned to build bird-houses? (guys with Scroll saws are invaribly trailer-park dwelling retirees with old woodworking skills..who love TRAIN SETS for some long-lost reason).

The Clod's been DONE. Once you've stuffed a cordless drill into a Wheely King,

follow-up ideas are scarce.

This is the headliner in my 1:1. It says something about my spare time level, my fab skills, and my wife's tolerance. So I'm not the best aesthetic designer...

I'm about to go full-circle, and start modding Radio Schlock vehicles again. My FIRST RC was a returned Golden Arrow Buggy with, get this...wheels you could remove by taking off a nut. Instead of grinding off a wheel collar to get into the gearbox, I was able to fully rebuild it, over, and over, and ...at one point, I walked into the RS store, and ordered six, complete rear axle assemblies, to make odd-rods with.

Well, I WAS going to do that Willys with leaf springs, but after browsing the forum here all night, I''ve decided THAT's been done...and quite well, by many members. So many GE-REAT ideas!

Separate coils/shock. I've seen SO many threads toss them halfway through...it's the spring seats...or how da heck to make ones that WORK.

I want to solve this one, and maybe come up with a 'universal' way to do this...
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

I recommend you run your trucks, find something it cant do or some part that breaks too easily and make it right.

in otherwords - dont try to fix a problem that doesnt exist - try to find one that does and make it right, you might even come up with something you can sell.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Wasting Time'r

...sell? I only sell INSTRUCTIONS for fun stuff, not the projects themselves -that's...work...ew.

A past project:

Note that only FOUR ball joints make up the WHOLE suspension.

It...went to the landfill when I robbed the parts from it. I still have the dxf's here somewhere...
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 AM
redneck

Member Number: 7866
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

you rock dude, thats some really good machine work there.you need to build a 6x6 or 8x8. that wouls be absolutly awsome. i really like your headliner too. i do some car customizing in my free time and that is awsome!! welcome to the forum.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Wasting Time'r

thanks!

Good call, I've built nothing ever with more than four tires touching the ground.

But if you ask me, the Mars rover-thingie is STUCK because of too many of them.

GROUND PRESSURE gets REAL important once you add more than two axles to a chassis. If they could get the rover to 'tricycle', it could climb right out of that 2-inch deep hole it's in.

If you pull up Youtube vids of multi-wheelers, you will immediately come to the conclusion that while they LOOK purposeful, they pretty much defy having a purpose.

The one place I would (and WILL) want lots of wheels, is in a giant mobile crane I've been drawing, for going on four years.

The military's multi-wheeled assault vehicle drivers are highly trained, because ONE screwup renders them a sitting duck. they can get INTO trouble easily, but not OUT. The wheels just don't have the individual 'grab' needed in ALL situations.

That's why TANKS are still built. However.

I had a Doyusha 1/16th M1A1 Abrahms I got from Sheldon's Hobbies, back when Britney didn't make me urp. While FUN, I felt hella stupid driving it where anybody could see, or more embarrassingly, HEAR it.

Once, I was at a park, and a lonely-looking Mommie with a severe case of "quadra-boob" saw it. I had 'shrinkage" for a week.

Added a pair of lathe motors, put a BIG pile of Nimh's down on the inner floor (protection against 1/16th IED's) to increase the climbing angle/speed, and CUT that STUPID SPEAKER out of it.

FOUR-wheel drive, I got that part, or I'm posting in the wrong coffeehouse.

I have multiple wildWilly2's...

I made up this chassis to fit UNDER the original WW2's frame rails. But the wheelbase is still Wheely King:

I imagine most of you onlookers are USED to seeing a lot of wheelbase in the frame that overhangs the body's wheelwells. To me, if they're off by even a MILLIMETER, I can't sleep.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Trying to make things more scale

Member Number: 558

Can you do wheels?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Wasting Time'r

I made the wheels for both the Clodwidow and the SofaKing.

These are 100% scratch-built: 3" ABS pipe for the bands, and CNC'd .125" ABS for the rings and centers.

These were Radio Shack Mattracks Truck wheels/tires. I chopped out the stock centers, and made up these AG wheel centers.

Parts for both were bonded using Oatey's Black ABS cement, sold in the plumbing aisle.

Last edited by killbucket : 01-26-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16

I agree with you about wheels lining up with the wheel wells, I'm suprised you havent made a shorter set of links for the WK, a short driveshaft cant be too hard even you have to resort to traxxas half shafts (platic sliding driveshafts).

I do find it slightly odd that you say that, as each truck shown has the wheels sigificantly outside of the body length nevermind the wheel wells.

If your after a challenge try making a proper wheelbased Wild willy 4wd, presumabley thats around 9.3" wheelbase or so? might even have to use smaller tyres lol.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 AM
bye for now

Member Number: 450

where are you located? if you are near, do i have a job for you
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Wasting Time'r

thia was all moved to the killbuckets site.

Last edited by killbucket : 03-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't have time to work on any of my projects

Member Number: 1161
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

This would be cool: Make walking beam suspensions out of delrin and sell them

I'm sure the 6x6 and 8x8 guys would love you. I'd get a set from you.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Wasting Time'r

You mean the dual-axle bogeys that are so badly implemented...on Mars right now?

Unless a six-wheeler can manually shift its CG, it NEEDS ground speed to function well...as images recently show of the techs trying to build UP some, to get out of a 2 inch deep hole...If only these people came to the forums for some research. The fact that I keep finding "new" ideas already developed here proves THAT one.

I HAVE thought of drawing these parts, tho, to fit the WKing and Clod parts.

But my inspiration here was a suspension less platform, so the drives could become robot bases...hmm...

If that was a GorillaMax on the Red Planet, we'd still be jamming around up there.

"Rover is stuck! Call GorillaMax!" A secret door on the lander base pops open. Sixteen pounds of aluminum comes flying out, landing in a skid to the left. Scooping icy (yeah-right!) ruts in the dust, it howls towards the hapless, stranded "Rover" (again, -ha!). Hits it square in the middle (nobody to hook up the winch cable, sorry!) with the double-bumper, KAHWHAM!* sending it assoverteakettle out of its predicament.

If you can take out roadside BOMBs with them (they really DO), I'd think playing 'turn-marshall" on a nice peaceful desert PLANET would be a piece of cake.

*Don'tcha love it when I rant?

Last edited by killbucket : 01-26-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM
bye for now

Member Number: 450

argh you are on the other coast.. i need a custom frame milled.. a big frame