Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Help wanted!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Help wanted! New to the forum? Start here.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 AM
I wanna be a team driver

Member Number: 12345
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockEd Out View Post
I think there should be a new rule, if you accept the terms and conditions to be a member which clearly states the BST rules and then come on the forum and post a question of where the BST is and how lame the rule is then you should be auto banned!
I think we should really do that cut down on noobs allot better.The forum would be a nicer place overall.

Jeremy

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 AM

Member Number: 14646

Sorry but I think I am allowed to state my opinion. I didn't ask anyone to change the rule I merely stated how i felt about it.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 14375

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboy5b View Post
I think we should really do that cut down on noobs allot better.The forum would be a nicer place overall.

Jeremy
or better yet only paying members? if thats the case then new ppl cant learn on this site beacuse is a non noob place?

it's the market place, and there is great builders with years of collected stuff that they might not use and could sell but to who? another builder thats been in a few years also with tons of stuff of their owne,

like some one said just know who to deal with, you wont go trusting a 1 week old member w/ 3 post selling them a $100 item,
Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
No I didn't

Member Number: 8571
B/S/T Feedback: (14)

It's been mentioned, so I will re-iterate, you do have access to the vendors section, and the custom parts that are available are reasonably priced for everyone. Those folks with years of collected stuff probably won't go as cheap as you may think, and I'm sure they aren't hoarding it all just waiting for you to get access to the BST section.

It wasn't just senior members that voted on the 1 year 300 post rule, everyone had the ability to vote, and you would be surprised how many "n00bs" voted to bump up the time and post count. I was here for a long time until I gained access, and I used that time wisely to do my best to help other folks, share ideas, and share my thoughts on bacon.

Best thing to do is share what you have learned, and see if you can try and help others if you can. Before you know it, you will have access, and maybe then you kind find that mythical pile of scale goodness.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Everybody Needs Rock N Roll

Member Number: 4514
B/S/T Feedback: (45)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primus2010 View Post
It's been mentioned, so I will re-iterate, you do have access to the vendors section, and the custom parts that are available are reasonably priced for everyone. Those folks with years of collected stuff probably won't go as cheap as you may think, and I'm sure they aren't hoarding it all just waiting for you to get access to the BST section.

It wasn't just senior members that voted on the 1 year 300 post rule, everyone had the ability to vote, and you would be surprised how many "n00bs" voted to bump up the time and post count. I was here for a long time until I gained access, and I used that time wisely to do my best to help other folks, share ideas, and share my thoughts on bacon.

Best thing to do is share what you have learned, and see if you can try and help others if you can. Before you know it, you will have access, and maybe then you kind find that mythical pile of scale goodness.
Exactly, I think there might be some misconception that our BST is filled guys making and selling all sorts of scale goodies. Most of the stuff in the BST is the same stuff on Ebay or if it is scale items then they are also sold in the Vendor's area. If you need to find a Honcho body or a set of flat irons from a new SCX10 kit they are just as available on ebay as they are in the bst here. People assume it's a right to have access when it is actually a privelege, nor do they take into consideration the mods and admins' free time they spend here. Then when we had the rash of scams going they were having to spend more time. This system works and it's better thanit ever was. As Primus said enjoy the forum get to know the members and have fun.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM

Member Number: 16517

I'll bump this to the top. When I did a search in the noob section. This was the first relevant thread I found pertaining to the between forum. Which really is ridiculous. I understand the need for a waiting period but really 300 posts? I've been members of other forums for over a year and still don't have 300 posts. I would be more willing to be a paying member if I didn't have to wait so long. I mean maybe pay to be a member and only have to wait 30 days and 30 posts. It will still serve the same purpose but will give the rest of the honest community a chance to view the bst forum.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM

When does paying for something make a person automatically honest and trustworthy. The BST is a privelege not a right and it is not the main reason for the forum. If I was a scammer and was smart I'd have no problem dropping $20 for BST access in order to rip someone off of a $300 rc truck. It's a dead issue this was put to a vote for the entire membership and this was the option that won the most votes.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM

If you were a scammer you wouldn't waste $20,30 days and the time to do 30 posts. As there are far easier ways to scam people.
And further more if you didn't have such a crappy attitude maybe you would have noticed, I never once said or even implied that it was my right to get on the Bst forum. I was simply making a statement that there should be a better way.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Well yes its something that's been discussed many times in the last 7 years, and we realise its not necessarily the best solution that we have in place here.

As pointed out above we tried alot of different rules and entry conditions and so forth until eventually due to complaints that "method X was worse than Y because of..." (and also why 'method Y sucked too') we put it all to the vote including every option from fully open, paid access and so on and the forum users voted for 1 year/300 posts.

Its extremely harsh for new users we know, and it seems over the top especially for those who dont post too often.

Its not a topic we like discussing as it has caused many headaches before, so you may get one or two folk who seem to have an attitude about it - bear in mind some will actually have been scammed out of good money or decent scalers(when the BST was more open) before reacting the way they do.

I'm not saying its set in stone forever like this, and maybe there is room for an alternative route into the BST for those who dont post often but are invested(time-wise) in the board for a good long time, but if we did come up with some alternative it would have to be very well balanced and considered from a multitude of angles so it does not become the easy route for scammers, nor should it punish those who legitimatley want access.

As an example, you mentioned a possible fee of $20 and waiting for 30 days/30 posts. I expect this will not sit well at all simply because a well known rival forum charges $10 for BST access(as far as I know with no grace period or waiting time), plus people tend to expect results after payment rather than 30 days later (and even then only if they meet another requirement[post count]). We also would want to do this for fairly casual users and low post count people so asking for a post a day might be considered too much.

Anyhoo, sorry for the long post but I thought some clarification might be in order. I havent explained every in and out of our philosophy regarding the BST but I dont think it would add anything IMO.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Hey Spoon, thanks for the response,instead of jumping all over me you gave me an insightful thought out answer. Thanks again
Robert
Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Waiting for my free magic pen!!

Member Number: 2692
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejoe23 View Post
Hey Spoon, thanks for the response,instead of jumping all over me you gave me an insightful thought out answer. Thanks again
Robert
He merely told you in more words what had been said in previous posts in fewer words.

Us, the members voted for this rule, that's all there is to know. Before this rule there were problems, and now we all know each other and there are a lot fewer problems.

It's been said before, but stick around and get to know people, the time will pass quickly.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah right. I spend most of my time buying parts to fix/upgrade my rigs and with no chance of that around here for another year, I will go elsewhere. Thanks anyways
Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Member Number: 13407
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

dude this isn't the mall or your lhs...its a FORUM.

bye!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM

I guess my summarizing the last 20 threads on this topic were jumping in his crap and I have a bad attitude. If all you're here for is a place to buy then we aren't going to miss you.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I've been here so long my banana's turned purple!

Member Number: 3180
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

my opinion
no need for an argueeing match here.
we all see the point of view from both sides.

when i first signed up here,i was scammed by a guy with 30 post,5 mth membership.
were not saying all noobs are like that.
the 1 year rule gives everyone time to get to know/trust/befriend you.
money is hard to come by to some of the folks here.
that rule gives me confidence going into a $600-$1000 deal with a guy ive never met.

if your only here to buy....im sorry if you think the rules are not fair.
im comfortable with the rules,many people here are happy.
no more sour deals,that rule helped keep it that way.

no one is accusing you of being a scammer.
if you feel you dont need to be here because you cant enter the b/s/t,then theres no need for you to come here and whine about it.it wont change our rules,but it will change our opinion about you.

as mentioned this forum was created for knowledge,ideas,concepts of what our rcs should be like.its a great place to learn/grow.
good luck with whatever decission you make.