Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Pigpen of Miscellany
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Pigpen of Miscellany This is the place to discuss anything you like that does not deal with R/C.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Still here.

Member Number: 227
B/S/T Feedback: (8)
Question AC motor experts?

Not rc related at all, but you are smart people here and I bet can help. Two unrelated(?) ac motor questions.

First, why would an ac motor whose speed is controled by the line frequency (60hz here) run slow? Bearing/bushings are clean and lubed, motor shaft is clean and lubed, in this particular case there are no contacting brushes(sorry my motor understanding/terminology is lacking). This particular example is a home turntable. I have two with this issue. These are 30+ year old motors and turn consistently but slower.

Second, home room fans. Almost all my newer home fans start to slow down after a year or two until eventually they stop turning on their own. I clean off any dust and goo from the motor and have tried lubing them with light oil, medium oil and grease. Fairly soon(days to months) later they have the same problem again. This does not happen with fans I have that are 30 years old! Any wisdom as to how to properly lubricate them? Or what has changed over the decades?

I appreciate any wisdom! Thanks.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 15933
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

the room fans are made that way so you will need new ones and the company can make money.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 AM

Member Number: 25830
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

I cannot answer the first question, but I think it is the motor's old age that has to be the problem. About your second question, there is proper maintenance that should be followed to keep your motor's performance at its peak, if not functional (see this article about motors:4 Ingenious Ways to Improve the Performance of Your Electric Motor)
If I am not mistaken, you just did the cleaning when you noticed the problem. Or walter could possibly be right, they were made that way so you could replace your old ones with new ones.