Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Marcus

Member Number: 23401
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default New trail trekker, weird shocks

After 9 or 10 months lurking the forums for tips and tricks, I finally decided to get a trail trekker from losi. Normally I'm an on road/drift kinda guy. But here in upstate new york in winter there's not alot i can do this time of year. I normaly do 1/18 scale rc's but i couldn't find any chassis to fit what i wanted to do. 1/18 th seems to mean super short bed 1/ 10th scale lol. Anyways, i got the trekker today and it works great, but i have a project in mind for it and my issue is, well. The shocks are weird. As in on the driver side front one shock is super soft, while the passenger side front is stiff Vice versa the passenger side rear is super soft and the driver side rear is stiff!! I couldnt really seem to find any advice in any searches that might help, although maybe i just overlooked something? I have some great ideas and want to get to work straight away, so any advice will be helpfull. As soon as i can get the suspension sorted i have a thread to start for my project. Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Marcus

Member Number: 23401

So, after just staring at the trekker for a bit, i decided that for the moment spacers will probably work until i get the body set up and reposition the electronics. Spoiler, its gonna be a ford mutt aka the FORD MUTT M151 A1c. My problem is and was, the body/chassis flop because of the weird shock stiffness and lack thereof. I'm probably going to get some upgraded shocks, or once im more confident in my building skills some leaf springs and shackles. So anyways, i'll post a new thread once its figured out!!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 19298

Shocks I've found to be an issue. I have a couple Redcat Sumo crawlers. While I don't have different shock stiffness there really just springs. I did a micro fc150 jeep and ended up doing shacles and leaf springs. I tried a bunch of cheap on road shock, they didn't work as well. I think vehicle weight and piston diameter were the problem. Just starting on a couple more scratch builds ( after a year off ) a 1/19 Nissan patrol model 60 and another Sumo which I bought some Delrin for the chassis today. It was going to be a Toyota FJ cruiser, have a body but there everywhere. At least it got me going again. So consider leaves, new springs or what ever the wizards come up with. Good luck
Old 02-19-2015, 03:46 PM

Member Number: 18360

Marcus, Look for friction in the ball links in the suspension. There's not a lot going on in the shock for one to have more stiffness than another. Another source for weird suspension issues is the telescoping drive shafts are rectangular not square. If they are not put together right it it can cause problems. I like the stock shocks. The vehicles usually don't weight much and the only aftermarket shock is way too stiff.