Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 AM

Member Number: 15497
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Stockish '80 Bronco SAS

Hello all, my first build thread on this forum but I've been a drift and scale enthusiast for years.

Wanted to build something small and portable, maybe not the best performer but a rig that I could throw in the baggage when leaving for a trip or for the holidays.

Ordered the HSP micro crawler clone from BangGood, it is expected to be back in stock on March 28th and I hope the shipping won't take ages

Meanwhile I started collecting some parts and defining some ideas in my mind.

Revell/Monogram 1/24 '80 Bronco

Losi Micro DT wheels and tires

I'm after a stock look, I've seen some Micro Crawler's in this forum under 1/24 static models, but they kinda look like monster trucks rather than trail rigs.

99% I will have some wheels 3d-printed so I can fit the microDT tires to the HSP axles.
Rear will be leafed, front still to be determined.

I'm still unsure on the chassis: I could either reinforce the static model frame using some stirene or build a new one from scratch using brass so I can easily braze stuff to the rails.

I'm going to re-use the stock electronics, powered by a tiny 2S LiPo pack and maybe swap the servo to a bit more torquey and metal-geared one, that will be modded from 3- to 5-wire.

Last edited by tHeo84 : 03-16-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 19298

Good choice, it will be fun and should turn out nice. I've always wondered about those stock chasis from the static models. I've seen them used but wondered if they would hold up under harder use. Seems as if you have some doubts? Brass soldered frames are pretty straight forward, although for my present one I'm using the Bangood brass frame made for yours.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I've always wondered about those stock chasis from the static models. I've seen them used but wondered if they would hold up under harder use. Seems as if you have some doubts? Brass soldered frames are pretty straight forward, although for my present one I'm using the Bangood brass frame made for yours.
I surely do not plan to use this Bronco for hard driving; I could even build an "hybrid" chassis, by cutting out the rails shape from slim metal sheet and adding it to the outside to help strength..

Yep I've seen the brass chassis you are talking about, but I'd rather build it my way

I won't be able to build much until I have the HSP crawler in my hands, and it won't be before April
Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Lack of Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeo84 View Post
I surely do not plan to use this Bronco for hard driving; I could even build an "hybrid" chassis, by cutting out the rails shape from slim metal sheet and adding it to the outside to help strength..

Yep I've seen the brass chassis you are talking about, but I'd rather build it my way

I won't be able to build much until I have the HSP crawler in my hands, and it won't be before April
1.) Nice idea sheeting the stock unit. I'd like to see that.
2.) I know what you mean, these micro's for some reason are difficult for me to get right (made a brass as well as a Delrin first) then I cheated!
3.) April? That's a wait at least you'll get a great start on the body etc.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
April? That's a wait at least you'll get a great start on the body etc.
Yep. First ordered the micro HSP on Feb 27th, with free slow shipping. The website said it was in stock.
The ball bearing kit, that I ordered together with the truck, was shipped the following day, while on the product page of the truck appeared the message "Expected restock on March 16th".
I wrote to BangGood asking if they could change the shipping to Expedited (I offered to pay the difference, of course) but they said the item would have been shipped in 48 hours.
7 days later (march 10th), I had to cancel my order and re-order the truck with Expedited Shipping, so I would have had it by the end of March (if they shipped it on the 16th)....but two days ago the restock was delayed to the 28th
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Lack of Time'r

Wow, I've never had that problem with them (banggood). I've ordered from a few of these places and the only problems were with Dealsmachine. Ordered, paid and item shipped 5 days under 4 months and then of course shipping began. I've never paid for expidited shipping be curious to know how long that takes. Hopefully fast, I'll keep my finger crossed good luck
Scott
Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 AM

Well the bearing kit showed up today.

How cute...I haven't seen such micro bearings for years, I remember something similar in my old Mini4WD's

Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 AM

The HSP micro crawler showed up at last

Assembly is very poor (lots of loose screws, one shock binding, etc.) but I had to disassemble it anyway so who cares

After some mumbling i decided to ditch the interior, I will cut the side windows out of some lexan sheet and go for tinted windows and the hardtop in the back.
This way, I won't have to re-use the stock crawler frame thus avoiding the monstertruck look.

The HSP screws are really tiny, in the following picture they are in the tray next to a silver M2 locknut

So I started disassembling and mocked up the rear axle under the frame; i slid the static model rims and tires on, just for try, and I think the axles are the perfect size; the final wheels will have a bit less offset so they should sit nicely under the body

Next was the tranny

I cut up the stock crossmember that would hold the transfer case of the static model, and bolted the HSP skidplate in its place after snipping away the link mounts

And this is where I am now, looking good so far

Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 AM
Lack of Time'r

Nice work! Mounting the transmission is always the most difficult for me, the mount or holes are never right the first time. Yours turned out nice and clean.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:47 PM
Bronco? Someone say Bronco??

Member Number: 8095

I'm liking how this looks!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Master of my domain

Member Number: 12436
B/S/T Feedback: (10)

I like where this is going!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Nice work! Mounting the transmission is always the most difficult for me, the mount or holes are never right the first time. Yours turned out nice and clean.
Not much of a work, just took two measurements and drilled 4 tiny holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFoster View Post
I'm liking how this looks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizmodder View Post
I like where this is going!
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Bronco? Someone say Bronco??

Member Number: 8095

On my Bronco build, I chose to make a custom trans bracket off the frame to lower it a bit in order to keep the interior. I still had to cut the floor pan, but I was able to keep the center console.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:21 PM

Sooo I had to find a way to make some leafs.

I needed them to be soft and light, so I looked around until I spotted an old unused CD "stack" case, and cut out some strips from the clear soft plastic of the top cover.

Using the vise, two M3 rods and an old hairdryer (and burning my fingertips) I bent both ends on every strip (sorry for the blurry pic)

Yay! Leafs!

Then I proceeded to shave the axles. I started with the rear axle since it was the simpler one. I took the opportunity to disassemble it and add my ball bearing kit and a nice coat of anti-wear grease.

Shaved rear axle

Rear leafs front mount. Now I need to figure out how to fabricate some little shackles.
The exaust tip molded into the frame must go, and so does the stock fuel tank. I plan to place my tiny LiPo there.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:52 AM

Took some measurements and had my rims designed in 3D by a buddy of mine

Already sent the file to a member of an Italian forum who owns a pretty capable 3D printer, I hope he will manage to print them